Page 20 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
Like Tree733Likes

Thread: Connecticut school shooting: Reports say more than dozen dead

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    that's just the thing. most people aren't smart. .
    And THIS we can agree on.

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    I'd look up stats on people who have successfully defended themselves against acts of violence with their own gun but I"m not looking to get into a pissing war. George Zimmerman should go to jail. If you own a gun, be smart about it. Those kinds of accidents are definitely avoidable.
    If everything is true about Adam's Mom..then she's partially responsible for not securing her weapons.

Again, I don't like guns and if I was ever going someplace where I thought I needed to conceal and carry one.. I'd probably rethink my trip.
    But everyone has their reasons.
    I think there is something to be said for the right to possess guns when 1) the environment a person has to function in is dangerous, 2) the person is properly trained in the use of the firearm (not just how to shoot it, but how to respond and de-escalate situations), and 3) has passed a background and mental health check. Unfortunately, is seems like the combination of these three factors are never applied in the acquisition or permit to use a firearm unless they are law enforcement personnel.

Then, you combine that in a toxic brew with the stand-your-ground law in Florida, and you literally, have drug dealers chasing each other down in traffic and executing them, and getting off on stand-your-ground technicalities.
    laynes and Waterslide like this.

When I lived in Florida, I worked with a bunch of older, middle age, out of shape, track suit wearing, Cadillac driving insurance salesman who were licensed to carry a concealed weapon. I don't want someone like that deciding what situations warrant use of deadly force. Or the story a few years back of the guy pulling a gun on someone at a bar and shooting them after a fight. I don't want to be in that crowd after "Rambo" decides someone needs to die for stepping the wrong way. He was licensed to carry a weapon and he said he felt his life was threatened. Guess that's all you need to say.

If you want to hunt, it's not my thing, but owning a hunting rifle is fine. If you want a handgun at home for protection and you are responsible and are willing to take on the risks, by all means, have a handgun (again, it's not for me). But, there is no reason on earth someone needs the weapons this young man had access to. What are they protecting themselves from? Foreign invaders? Aliens? Zombies? Muslims? The US government turning on them? It's ridiculous and insane.

Proof of Your Manhood The Man Card from Bushmaster

When Adam Lanza shot dozens of people at Sandy Hook Elementary last Friday, he used a military-style Bushmaster .223 rifle. As America debates whether such weapons even have a place in our society, Bushmaster is running a hilarious ad campaign.

Bushmaster rifles, you see, make you a real man. That is why acquiring a Bushmaster rifle will get you your "Man Card Reissued," as you can see in this ad. (The ad agency responsible for this campaign is Oklahoma-based Brothers Co.) Bushmaster even has a web site, Bushmaster.com/mancard, where you can put in your friends' name and send them a comical note about why their Man Card is being revoked. Ever since the massacre in Newtown, the site has been subjected to a running list of sometimes furious and sometimes mordantly funny hijackings of its Man Card-generating system. The site still appears to be working.

Bushmaster has been running this "Man Card" campaign for more than two years. It should not have taken a mass shooting for us all to realize that the connection between guns and masculinity is ridiculous. The fact that gun companies are still pimping that false connection to attract buyers speaks for itself.

Bushmaster Firearms, Your Man Card Is Revoked

I don't even know what to say about this. Guns, big dicks, power, it's all so fucked up.
    sluce, C_is_for_Cookie and Jazzy like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

More like: Consider your tiny penis card issued.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

Proof of Your Manhood – The Man Card from Bushmaster

When Adam Lanza shot dozens of people at Sandy Hook Elementary last Friday, he used a military-style Bushmaster .223 rifle. As America debates whether such weapons even have a place in our society, Bushmaster is running a hilarious ad campaign.

Bushmaster rifles, you see, make you a real man. That is why acquiring a Bushmaster rifle will get you your "Man Card Reissued," as you can see in this ad. (The ad agency responsible for this campaign is Oklahoma-based Brothers Co.) Bushmaster even has a web site, Bushmaster.com/mancard, where you can put in your friends' name and send them a comical note about why their Man Card is being revoked. Ever since the massacre in Newtown, the site has been subjected to a running list of sometimes furious and sometimes mordantly funny hijackings of its Man Card-generating system. The site still appears to be working.

Bushmaster has been running this "Man Card" campaign for more than two years. It should not have taken a mass shooting for us all to realize that the connection between guns and masculinity is ridiculous. The fact that gun companies are still pimping that false connection to attract buyers speaks for itself.

Bushmaster Firearms, Your Man Card Is Revoked

I don't even know what to say about this. Guns, big dicks, power, it's all so fucked up.
    You'd think they'd pull the ad, no?

I know this isn't technically an assault rifle..and you all know that I believe people should be able to have guns for personal protection if they so desire. But, what in the holy f*ck does someone need a gun like this for? Is this for hunting?
    MmeVertigina likes this.

The only things that guns like that are made to hunt are humans. Sporting guns have no need to be semi-automatic.
    Karistiona likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    The only things that guns like that are made to hunt are humans. Sporting guns have no need to be semi-automatic.
    I think most guns these days are semi-automatic, except revolvers. But I think you're right about this one in particular.. it just looks nasty.

Many pistols today are semis, but that's not really the same as high powered semiautomatic rifles that use high-capacity magazines originally designed for the military.

Based on my experiences, the hunters I know would never hunt with a semi. They don't consider it 'sporting'. Either bolt action rifles, shotguns or a bow. If you need to fire 20 shots, well really, unless you were being charged by a hippo, why would you need to.

Thanks WCG.. that's good information. I've seen those types of guns with military..didn't think that's what was being sold out in the "real world". Damn..

The below story made me lose it all over again. What a good man!

Neighbor took 6 young survivors into his home - Yahoo! News
    Neighbor took 6 young survivors into his home

By By PAT EATON-ROBB | Associated Press – 3 hrs ago

[/COLOR]

• Sandy Hook eyewitness: Kids were "so sweet" and "brave"CBSTV Videos 4:14Gene Rosen, a longtime Newtown resident, took in six children fleeing the Sandy Hook elementary school …

RELATED CONTENT

NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — Gene Rosen had just finished feeding his cats and was heading from his home near Sandy Hook Elementary school to a diner Friday morning when he saw six small children sitting in a neat semicircle at the end of his driveway.
    A school bus driver was standing over them, telling them things would be all right. It was about 9:30 a.m., and the children, he discovered, had just run from the school to escape a gunman.
    "We can't go back to school," one little boy told Rosen. "Our teacher is dead. Mrs. Soto; we don't have a teacher."
    Rosen, a 69-year-old retired psychologist, took the four girls and two boys into his home, and over the next few hours gave them toys, listened to their stories and called their frantic parents.
    Rosen said he had heard the staccato sound of gunfire about 15 minutes earlier but dismissed it as an obnoxious hunter in the nearby woods.
    "I had no idea what had happened," Rosen said. "I couldn't take that in."
    He walked the children past his small goldfish pond with its running waterfall, and the garden he made with his two grandchildren, into the small yellow house he shares with his wife.
    He ran upstairs and grabbed an armful of stuffed animals. He gave those to the children, along with some fruit juice, and sat with them as the two boys described seeing their teacher being shot.
    Victoria Soto, 27, was a first-grade teacher killed when 20-year-old Adam Lanza burst into her classroom. It wasn't clear how the children escaped harm, but there have been reports that Soto hid some of her students from the approaching gunman. The six who turned up at Rosen's home did apparently have to run past her body to safety.
    "They said he had a big gun and a little gun," said Rosen, who didn't want to discuss other details the children shared.
    Rosen called the children's parents, using cellphone numbers obtained from the school bus company, and they came and retrieved their children.
    One little girl, he said, spent the entire ordeal clutching a small stuffed Dalmatian to her chest and staring out the window looking for her mommy.
    And one little boy brought them all a moment of levity.
    "This little boy turns around, and composes himself, and he looks at me like he had just removed himself from the carnage and he says, 'Just saying, your house is very small,'" Rosen said. "I wanted to tell him, 'I love you. I love you.'"
    Rosen said Sandy Hook had always been a place of joy for him. He taught his 8-year-old grandson to ride his bike in the school parking lot and took his 4-year-old granddaughter to use the swings.
    "I thought today how life has changed, how that ground has been marred, how that school has been desecrated," he said.
    He said it wasn't his training as a psychologist that helped him that day — it was being a grandparent.
    A couple of hours after the last child left, a knock came on his door. It was a frantic mother who had heard that some children had taken refuge there. She was looking for her little boy.
    "Her face looked frozen in terror," Rosen said, breaking down in tears.
    "She thought maybe a miracle from God would have the child at my house," he said. Later, "I looked at the casualty list ... and his name was on it."

Default The Gun Lobby: Why The NRA Is The Baddest Force In Politics

In the spring of 2010, Democrats began charting out their legislative response to a Supreme Court ruling that allowed unlimited spending by corporations on federal elections. The proposal would have forced CEOs to appear in the ads they bankrolled. It would have barred foreign companies and government contractors from spending on election activity. Most significantly, it would have required groups that purchased campaign ads to disclose their donors' identities.

Shortly upon unveiling the Disclose Act, however, lawmakers and congressional aides realized they had a potentially crippling problem. The National Rifle Association had alerted Blue Dog Democrats and the Republican House leadership that it would mobilize a campaign to kill the bill if the last provision wasn't dropped. The NRA claimed to have between 50 and 55 Democratic House members who would defect, a Democratic aide recalled.

In leadership meetings, top Democrats would ask whether the NRA's complaints had been dealt with. Soon, talks began between Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) and Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) -- the bill's authors -- and the NRA's executive director, Chris Cox, to find an accommodation.

The result was hardly inspired legislative thinking. The parties created a carve-out for the gun lobby, writing a provision exempting groups from donor disclosure if they were 10-plus years old, had a million members and received less than 15 percent of their funding from corporations.

"The House made a decision that there was no way that they could pass it through the House without the exemption," said Fred Wertheimer, president of Democracy 21 and a chief advocate for the Disclose Act. "And they were faced with the choice of 'Do we give them this exemption and get disclosure for everyone else or just let the bill die.' And that's what happened. I mean, no one liked it."

In the end, Democratic lawmakers were more comfortable picking a fight with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. The business group wouldn't be exempted from the Disclose Act and opposed it forcefully. The NRA, with a carve-out in hand, stayed silent.

Few on the Hill were surprised at the lawmakers' calculation. The NRA's lobbying prowess was considered stronger even than the Chamber's, which spends tens of millions of dollars on every election cycle. The Disclose Act didn't pass -- it fell a vote short in the Senate -- but it would have been dead in the water with the NRA opposed.

What's remarkable about the gun lobby's work on the Disclose Act was not merely that it affected the course of campaign finance legislation (hardly its policy bailiwick) or that it demanded adherence from lawmakers of both parties. It was how little lobbying the NRA actually had to do in order to get its way. The group's power in the halls of Congress is so evident that it is rarely challenged.

"If word gets spread around the floor that this is an NRA-scored bill, in the past anyway, that has been that," said Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.), referring to the group's practice of counting certain votes to rate lawmakers' loyalty. "It is palpable on the floor when the message that is spread around is that the NRA is scoring this. It's like a wave."

"I am not sure that being a NRA lobbyist responsible for dealing with the Hill is exactly the toughest job around," said Jim Manley, former top spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.).

That may change now. In the wake of the shooting of 20 first-graders and six educators in Newtown, Conn., on Friday morning, the NRA's political power is facing new challenges -- and not just from the usual set of gun control advocates. On Monday morning, several NRA-backed Democrats said it was time to consider a legislative response to gun violence. Reid, who had doggedly courted the NRA's endorsement in 2010, declared that "everything must be on the table" with respect to curbing gun violence. Some conservative media figures beat him to the punch.

The NRA did not return a request for comment, maintaining its strategy of silence in the aftermath of major gun violence. But when the group does emerge, it will likely have to utilize all the tools at its disposal.

Since 1998, the NRA has spent $28.2 million on lobbying in Washington and employed between 16 and 35 lobbyists in any given year. The group has doled out more than $3.3 million in campaign contributions and $44 million on independent efforts to support its favored candidates in the last three federal elections. These are not large numbers.

The group's great clout lies in the sheer number of people it can mobilize. The NRA boasts four million members, whom it spends a large piece of its budget engaging. Communicating with members constituted one-fourth of all NRA expenses ($57 million) in 2010, the most recent year for which tax filings were available. That is a far higher amount than the NRA spends on lobbying or campaign ads, underscoring the grassroots nature of the group. Members also are the biggest source of funds for the NRA, supplying $100 million out of a total of $227 million in revenue in 2010.

The Huffington Post interviewed 10 current and former aides on Capitol Hill and within the Obama administration to gather a fuller sense of how the NRA has become the political force it is today. Their responses were consistent. Because the group is flexible with its endorsements, they said, members of both parties routinely beg for its approval (a group that endorsed only Republicans would be written off as a lost cause by Democrats).

More importantly, they said, the group's engaged, dues-paying members can be activated on short notice. Several staffers noted how office phone systems would be overwhelmed with calls and complaints. Usually, all the NRA had to do was to remind a lawmaker of its position and the chips fell into place.

"It's been so long since anyone has been willing to really take them on that there are few opportunities for them to actually really play hardball going after anyone," explained Matthew Miller, former top spokesman for Attorney General Eric Holder. "They haven't faced a real threat on any bill since the '90s. It's the opposite now -- people fall over themselves to impress them."

Miller recalled how the Obama administration watched the NRA closely when it came time for Holder's confirmation. Had the gun lobby scored the vote, the expectation was that no Republicans would offer their support. Holder was spared that fate. Three years later, however, amidst the controversy over the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives' "Fast and Furious" program, the NRA decided to score the House contempt vote on the attorney general. Every Republican but two backed the measure. Seventeen Democrats joined them.

"They all want to have 100 percent NRA scorecards," said Miller.

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.V.), who on Monday morning offered support for revisiting gun control, was one of those lawmakers who sought a 100 percent rating. During his run for the Senate in 2010, he ran an ad in which he literally shot a gun at cap-and-trade legislation. But even devout public support for Second Amendment rights didn't make his staff feel immune from the NRA's pressures.

"Unlike some interest groups, where it is money that creates influence, here it is more the threat of response," said Manchin's former chief of staff, Chris Kofinis. "The idea is that if you come out for any type of gun control, any type of common-sense reform, they are going to come after you, especially if you are a red-state Democrat. And they will paint you with a broad brush as being anti-gun."

With an obedient Congress and a sheepish Obama administration, the NRA spent much of the past four years racking up wins on under-the-radar measures. The group successfully added a provision to the president's health care legislation that bans insurers from charging more to people who own guns. It also moved a law through Congress that requires Amtrak to allow passengers to put weapons in checked bags.

Perhaps its most memorable victory, however, was opening up the nation's national parks to visitors carrying guns. In the early months of the Obama administration, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) attached that measure to a bill requiring tougher oversight of credit card companies. It was a clever gambit. The gun amendment was supported by dozens of House Democrats as well as Reid, and with the president and his team desperately wanting the credit card reforms, the White House had little interest in taking a stand.

The NRA knew this. The group also understood that the inclusion of its amendment would increase the bill's chances of passing. Lawmakers being lobbied by the banking community to limit credit card oversight could be won over if they believed the legislation would be a victory for the gun lobby. As one top Senate Democratic aide noted, "We got lobbied a lot heavier by the banks over the credit card issues than we got lobbied on the guns."

The bill passed, and the message sent was profound. Even under a president who had forcefully supported gun control legislation earlier in his career, the NRA would get its way.

"That is how we started the first Obama term," recalled Manley.

The Gun Lobby: Why The NRA Is The Baddest Force In Politics

In news that could come straight from the Onion but is true: people on facebook (from my town anyway) are pushing everyone to sign some petition to have Ty Pennington do a "makeover of Newtown." You know, because that will change everything. WTF.

I know people want to do something but c'mon a makeover? UCONN has set up a scholarship fund for survivors. That seems a better way to help than sprucing up the town green or whatever a town makeover might mean.

What does Newtown need Ty Pennington to do a makeover for? Newtown looks like a beautiful little town. Bulldoze the school, maybe.

Oh come on, even suggesting that the nra is the most powerful lobby in dc is just fucking ridiculous.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

IPO there is no call for any ordinary citizen of these United States to ever own an assult weapon. I hope Sen. Feinstein gets on this quickly and bans them. Any hunter who would use one is a poor sport and has no business with one anyway.
    This is an immediate problem: nuts will start to hoard them like crazy now. They need to get ahead of this somehow.

We need some help for parents of unstable children so that action can be taken in grammer school. These parents get no help at all.By the time they reach adult hood, there are most of your abusers and crooks. Like we have heard so many times, the police can't help until he actually does something.
    That blog by the mother about her son (I Am Adam Lanzas Mother ) is drawing fire because she betrayed his privacy. She is far from alone I suspect. Those people have nowhere to turn. We have left them hanging, then blame the parents. Having a disturbed child has to be a horror all its own. Where would you turn?

These problems have got to be addressed. I hope they are and rapidly.

My continued prayers now are for the parents of those beautiful little children. I think this nightmare has hit the whole nation straight in the heart. Never have I seen so many seasoned reporters cry on live tv. Never have I seen the President wipe away tears at a press conference. Stoic men weep without caring. Too many tears to count. Every Mother. Every Father. Every adult who has ever loved a child. Right in the middle of the most magical season for children.
    My heart is another victim of this deranged shooter and his oh-so-powerful gun.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thread Information