Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 620
Like Tree733Likes

Thread: Connecticut school shooting: Reports say more than dozen dead

  1. #271
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Hey, who doesn't want an AK-47 with the extra large magazine and armor piercing shells for Christmas? Isn't that what Christmas is really all about. It's the reason for the season.
    Grandma never would have gotten run over by that reindeer if she'd been packing heat.

  2. #272
    Elite Member gas_chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    34,469

    Default

    Gawd if I heard once I heard a 1000 times about that theatre shooting "If I'd been there, I would have taken him out". Such shit. Let's get these assault weapons off the street and get stronger rules in place for owning a gun period.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

  3. #273
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    50,851

    Default

    yeah i love it when people get all armchair rambo and think that, had only they been there with their gun, shit would have gone down differently. assholes.
    HWBL, Janet296, faithanne and 6 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  4. #274
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,330

    Default

    Someone posted:

    Guns don't kill people,
    People kill people
    BUT you can kill them a whole lot faster with gun.

    Clarificatiin in case it's needed - they were making the point that guns kill - not being an asshole making light of the killings as some then accused them of doing.
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

  5. #275
    Elite Member Waterslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    out where the buses don't run
    Posts
    10,074

    Default

    I know, people get guns and they suddenly think they're Navy Seals, Annie Oakley and James Bond all rolled into one.
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

    Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

  6. #276
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,330

    Default

    *cough especially dem bitches with the pearl handles cough*
    MsChiff likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

  7. #277
    Elite Member Waterslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    out where the buses don't run
    Posts
    10,074

    Default

    I start to think it's not the people who actually own guns, or at least who have owned them for very long, who think they're going to be heroes with their handguns in situations like this. I know lots of people who own guns and have been around them all their lives and none of them say these things.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

    Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

  8. #278
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,280

    Default

    You know what's kind of scary? If everyone had a handgun/firearm strapped to them all the time, the crime rate wouldn't necessarily go down. But the suicide rate would go THROUGH THE ROOF. 55% of firearm deaths in the United States are suicides.

    More than 90% of suicide attempts using guns are successful
    Only 34% of suicide attempts jumping from high places are successful
    Only 2% of drug overdose suicide attempts are successful
    MmeVertigina likes this.

  9. #279
    Gold Member laynes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    What's round on the ends and high in the middle?
    Posts
    1,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I start to think it's not the people who actually own guns, or at least who have owned them for very long, who think they're going to be heroes with their handguns in situations like this. I know lots of people who own guns and have been around them all their lives and none of them say these things.
    ^^This. I have quite a few friends who are responsible, law abiding citizens who have guns and conceal and carry permits. Sometimes they take their guns with them, sometimes they don't. The average time it takes for police to show up to an emergency is 5-7 minutes here... they might not be "rambo" in a public setting.. but they feel a whole lot safer in their own homes where they are left to defend themselves. Not everyone with a gun is a whacko, NRA loving, crazy person. Most of my friends believe that the current gun laws should actually be enforced, and that new laws aren't necessarily needed.

    For what it's worth.. I don't like guns..but I would never recommend banning them. I have a Pit Bull and a German Shepherd for defense (and companionship)..but of course there will always people that think those breeds should be banned too.

  10. #280
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    50,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    You know what's kind of scary? If everyone had a handgun/firearm strapped to them all the time, the crime rate wouldn't necessarily go down. But the suicide rate would go THROUGH THE ROOF. 55% of firearm deaths in the United States are suicides.

    More than 90% of suicide attempts using guns are successful
    Only 34% of suicide attempts jumping from high places are successful
    Only 2% of drug overdose suicide attempts are successful
    this.
    it's the reason suicide rates are much higher among police officers.

    Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    ^^This. I have quite a few friends who are responsible, law abiding citizens who have guns and conceal and carry permits. Sometimes they take their guns with them, sometimes they don't. The average time it takes for police to show up to an emergency is 5-7 minutes here... they might not be "rambo" in a public setting.. but they feel a whole lot safer in their own homes where they are left to defend themselves. Not everyone with a gun is a whacko, NRA loving, crazy person. Most of my friends believe that the current gun laws should actually be enforced, and that new laws aren't necessarily needed.

    For what it's worth.. I don't like guns..but I would never recommend banning them. I have a Pit Bull and a German Shepherd for defense (and companionship)..but of course there will always people that think those breeds should be banned too.
    why would you ever feel the need to go about your everyday life with a gun on you unless your job requires it? that's not normal.
    faithanne, msdeb and Karistiona like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  11. #281
    Gold Member laynes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    What's round on the ends and high in the middle?
    Posts
    1,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    this.
    it's the reason suicide rates are much higher among police officers.



    why would you ever feel the need to go about your everyday life with a gun on you unless your job requires it? that's not normal.
    I know a lot of folks who would disagree with you. Self Defense is the main reason for my friends. You survive an attack once..you're going to be ready the next time.
    dilligaf likes this.



  12. #282
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    ^^This. I have quite a few friends who are responsible, law abiding citizens who have guns and conceal and carry permits. Sometimes they take their guns with them, sometimes they don't. The average time it takes for police to show up to an emergency is 5-7 minutes here... they might not be "rambo" in a public setting.. but they feel a whole lot safer in their own homes where they are left to defend themselves.
    By the same token, though, you have guys like George Zimmerman who are all to willing to use deadly force when the original circumstances of the situation didn't warrant it at all. Or (just yesterday), a three year-old visiting a home where a handgun is not properly secured shoots himself in the head accidentally and kills himself. The gun owner might feel safer, but other people around them aren't necessarily benefiting from it.
    Jazzy likes this.

  13. #283
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    50,851

    Default

    ^^^^
    this.

    Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    I know a lot of folks who would disagree with you. Self Defense is the main reason for my friends. You survive an attack once..you're going to be ready the next time.
    they can disagree all they want. doesn't make it normal to walk around life with a gun unless you live in a war zone or something. smacks of paranoia and like mohandas said, they might feel safer but it just makes everyone else unsafe.
    C_is_for_Cookie and Jazzy like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  14. #284
    Gold Member laynes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    What's round on the ends and high in the middle?
    Posts
    1,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    By the same token, though, you have guys like George Zimmerman who are all to willing to use deadly force when the original circumstances of the situation didn't warrant it at all. Or (just yesterday), a three year-old visiting a home where a handgun is not properly secured shoots himself in the head accidentally and kills himself. The gun owner might feel safer, but other people around them aren't necessarily benefiting from it.
    I'd look up stats on people who have successfully defended themselves against acts of violence with their own gun but I"m not looking to get into a pissing war. George Zimmerman should go to jail. If you own a gun, be smart about it. Those kinds of accidents are definitely avoidable.
    If everything is true about Adam's Mom..then she's partially responsible for not securing her weapons.

    Again, I don't like guns and if I was ever going someplace where I thought I needed to conceal and carry one.. I'd probably rethink my trip.
    But everyone has their reasons.



  15. #285
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    50,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    I'd look up stats on people who have successfully defended themselves against acts of violence with their own gun but I"m not looking to get into a pissing war. George Zimmerman should go to jail. If you own a gun, be smart about it. Those kinds of accidents are definitely avoidable.
    If everything is true about Adam's Mom..then she's partially responsible for not securing her weapons.

    Again, I don't like guns and if I was ever going someplace where I thought I needed to conceal and carry one.. I'd probably rethink my trip.
    But everyone has their reasons.
    that's just the thing. most people aren't smart. and yet most people can get a gun in a heartbeat. and that is more dangerous than any real danger you could face in your everyday life.
    Jazzy likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The conflicting Afghan shooting reports
    By witchcurlgirl in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 23rd, 2012, 03:22 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 7th, 2011, 12:13 PM
  3. Another school shooting, California
    By greysfang in forum Crime and Punishment
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 19th, 2011, 11:23 PM
  4. Another school shooting: H.S. in Cleveland
    By greysfang in forum News
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: October 11th, 2007, 01:22 PM
  5. Replies: 33
    Last Post: October 3rd, 2006, 03:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •