Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 620
Like Tree733Likes

Thread: Connecticut school shooting: Reports say more than dozen dead

  1. #241
    Elite Member Moongirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cal-i-for-nigh-ay!
    Posts
    6,943

    Default

    ^^I know what you mean; yesterday, I was brought to tears hearing about how one police officer had to walk into the firehouse where the survivors had been evacuated and announce that there were "no more alive" to the waiting families. Also, the medical examiner tearfully stating that all 20 kids had died from multiple gunshot wounds at close range...

  2. #242
    Elite Member Sarzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    13,810

    Default

    I was just reading an article about a girl who 'played dead' while her friends were getting shot. It's amazing a kid of that age knew to do that. Poor thing though, she's going to need a lot of help.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

  3. #243
    Silver Member Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    448

    Default

    And the one little boy who told his teacher he would lead the way out since he knew karate. Precious.

  4. #244
    Elite Member ManxMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lemuria
    Posts
    7,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

    As for the President's emotions, I'm sure he was saddened. I don't see how anyone could see this and not be. But when you're in a position to lead on an issue and don't, and then profess horror when it happens again and again and again, you're full of shit. Instead of tears I'd like some moral courage.
    You're getting predictable in crucifying Obama for every damned thing, including not having committed political suicide over and over.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

  5. #245
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    50,856

    Default

    i'm getting sick of all the 'touching' media coverage that's trying to cover up the fact that they want to be as sensationalistic as usual by being all faux-sensitive and making sure to point out they're only interviewing kids whose parents let them be on air and showing pictures of dead kids whose families agreed to it and saying over and over again how they're trying to be all sensitive, but really you can tell they just want to be the first ones with some juicy tidbit. it's vomit-inducing, and actually worse than if they just owned their shit and went full tabloid.
    what's worse, they're not actually saying anything. if anything, it would be interesting if this actually sparked an interesting debate about gun control. there's been some of that in the written media but not so much on tv. i did see one reporter on cnn verbally bitch-slap some retarded fundie pastor who was there to plug his bullshit book and how it's all tv shows and video games that are to blame and how gun laws and the second amendment have nothing to do with this and the reporter actually acted like a journalist and told the guy that no, this most definitely was about guns because the one thing all of these killings have in common is easily available, legally obtained guns that go way beyond what any normal person could possibly need a gun for - to protect their home or for hunting. there is no reason for any sane person to own an assault rifle and there is no reason why owning one should be legal.

    people need to stop shitting themselves about how gun control means someone is going to take their guns away. no, it doesn't. it just means it's going to be way harder to get them and there will be stricter controls and it means you won't be able to just get a fucking semi-automatic assault rifle.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  6. #246
    Elite Member C_is_for_Cookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,368

    Default

    Apparently those Westboro church fuckers are planning to picket funerals.
    avatar made by green_queen@LJ

  7. #247
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    50,856

    Default

    why does anyone even get angry about the westboro fuckers anymore? they're not even relevant and they threaten to picket everything and then never show up because they know they'd get beat up if they do.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  8. #248
    Elite Member Bluebonnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    Apparently those Westboro church fuckers are planning to picket funerals.
    Damn Westboro would picket a flock of geese flying south for the winter. They are just complete morons.

  9. #249
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i'm getting sick of all the 'touching' media coverage that's trying to cover up the fact that they want to be as sensationalistic as usual by being all faux-sensitive and making sure to point out they're only interviewing kids whose parents let them be on air and showing pictures of dead kids whose families agreed to it and saying over and over again how they're trying to be all sensitive, but really you can tell they just want to be the first ones with some juicy tidbit. it's vomit-inducing, and actually worse than if they just owned their shit and went full tabloid.
    what's worse, they're not actually saying anything. if anything, it would be interesting if this actually sparked an interesting debate about gun control. there's been some of that in the written media but not so much on tv. i did see one reporter on cnn verbally bitch-slap some retarded fundie pastor who was there to plug his bullshit book and how it's all tv shows and video games that are to blame and how gun laws and the second amendment have nothing to do with this and the reporter actually acted like a journalist and told the guy that no, this most definitely was about guns because the one thing all of these killings have in common is easily available, legally obtained guns that go way beyond what any normal person could possibly need a gun for - to protect their home or for hunting. there is no reason for any sane person to own an assault rifle and there is no reason why owning one should be legal.

    people need to stop shitting themselves about how gun control means someone is going to take their guns away. no, it doesn't. it just means it's going to be way harder to get them and there will be stricter controls and it means you won't be able to just get a fucking semi-automatic assault rifle.
    I am very cynical/pessimistic about anything happening out of this regarding gun control. There are a huge amount of guns rights people here who are total dead enders on the issue. They are single-issue voters like pro-life voters are single-issue voters, and they spend an inordinate amount of time wrestling with statistics to somehow interpret that other countries aren't any safer than we are despite having a tiny fraction of the gun deaths we have. And they travel from site to site, like modern-day Sophists, arguing endlessly with people who believe differently, and who don't have as much time on their hands as they do to debate about it.

    Moreover, after initially laying low (like their FaceBook page going dark yesterday), the NRA will get involved to totally hose up any legislation that does get passed, so that there is no teeth in it. Then, they will send their proxies out a year or so from now and say, "See? Gun control legislation doesn't work!" Which would more appropriately be stated as, "See? If you pass gun-control legislation, we will make sure that the final version of it is worthless!"
    ManxMouse and MmeVertigina like this.

  10. #250
    Elite Member ManxMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lemuria
    Posts
    7,380

    Default

    The gun issue absolutely needs to be addressed, already. I'd like to mention something else, though. There's lots of talk about recognizing mental illness, getting people help, funding, etc. I'm the biggest proponent of state funding for the mentally ill, as well as giving more ability for temporary commitments and all. But from what I've seen so far, this guy was most likely a fucking sociopath. Some might not agree with the distinction, but it's not really a mental illness; it's a personality disorder. There is no treatment for it. If it's diagnosed, those people probably should just be humanely segregated from the rest of society. But of course, that'll never happen. So, it's back to guns because there will always be murderous assholes.

  11. #251
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    23,972

    Default

    A couple of our local morning DJ's are refusing to say this shooter's name because they don't think he deserves the publicity. I don't listen to a lot of non-satellite radio, but when I'm driving my son to school we listen to these guys: Drake & Zeke in the morning

    Then I switch to SiriusXM to listen to Howard Stern.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

  12. #252
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    50,856

    Default

    the whole refusing to say the guy's name thing is another thing that pisses me off. it's a fact. he did it. of course people are going to talk about him and be curious about what made him do it. it's human nature.
    also, i nearly vomited when some newscaster was saying that he didn't want to call them 'victims' because that wasn't fair to them. uh, hello, they got killed in a school by a fucktard psycho with a gun. if that isn't the very definition of the word victim i don't know what is.
    i'm so fucking sick with the media's coverage of this, and the hypocrisy and touchy-feely bullshit and trying to pretend they're not being sensationalistic and saying they want to focus on those who died and not on the shooter.

    it's like saying, we can't talk about hitler or the nazis because it's not fair to the people they killed. sorry, but that's retarded and it's negating half the story and you absolutely can talk about something without glorifying it and that whole bullshit excuse about not wanting to give them attention is just that, bullshit. tell the story right or don't tell it at all.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  13. #253
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    The gun issue absolutely needs to be addressed, already. I'd like to mention something else, though. There's lots of talk about recognizing mental illness, getting people help, funding, etc. I'm the biggest proponent of state funding for the mentally ill, as well as giving more ability for temporary commitments and all. But from what I've seen so far, this guy was most likely a fucking sociopath. Some might not agree with the distinction, but it's not really a mental illness; it's a personality disorder. There is no treatment for it. If it's diagnosed, those people probably should just be humanely segregated from the rest of society. But of course, that'll never happen. So, it's back to guns because there will always be murderous assholes.
    I'm still very curious to know what was going through his head as he somehow formulated an idea that he had to shoot up a classroom full of little kids. Was it revenge for his treatment when he was in the school system? What kind of resentment might his mom have fed him with on a regular basis as to why he was home and going nowhere in life while he his brother was successful. Did she basically shift all the blame to others (teachers, other kids, the administrators) and he eventually externalized all of it in one insane murderous blaze of glory? It would be useful to know stuff like this in terms of preventing future acts, but the two people who had the information are both dead.

  14. #254
    Elite Member Karistiona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Alba
    Posts
    12,628

    Default

    I just can't get my head around the figures on guns, it seems barbaric to me that there are 311m people in the USA, and 300m firearms. In Scotland we have 5 million people and 72,000 firearms, and the government are still trying to reduce this because they feel it's too high. According to STV News, after Dunblane they brought in legislation which outlawed private ownership of all handguns except war trophies, guns for the humane killing of animals, and shot pistols. Would something like that ever fly in the USA?

    eta - Sput i totally agree with what you're saying about the media.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

  15. #255
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    I just can't get my head around the figures on guns, it seems barbaric to me that there are 311m people in the USA, and 300m firearms. In Scotland we have 5 million people and 72,000 firearms, and the government are still trying to reduce this because they feel it's too high. According to STV News, after Dunblane they brought in legislation which outlawed private ownership of all handguns except war trophies, guns for the humane killing of animals, and shot pistols. Would something like that ever fly in the USA?
    You don't know the half of it. While grocery shopping in Southern Virginia this weekend, I walked over to the magazine rack, which had like 10 different periodicals devoted to guns. One of them had something like "Tactical" in the title. All of them were the kind of combat guns you would expect to see American's using in Afghanistan while pinned down by marauding Taliban. Yet, they appeared to be something that enthusiasts could get their hands on. They were reviewing the stuff like it was a frostless deep freezer from Whirlpool or something.

    When you think about it, it's a culture that starts at a young age. Nerf used to just sell you some spongy footballs and basketballs to throw around the house without breaking things. Now, they are selling you tactical, belt-fed foam-dart-firing rifles, with scopes, LED targeting beams, and can be broken down into six pieces.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The conflicting Afghan shooting reports
    By witchcurlgirl in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 23rd, 2012, 03:22 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 7th, 2011, 12:13 PM
  3. Another school shooting, California
    By greysfang in forum Crime and Punishment
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 19th, 2011, 11:23 PM
  4. Another school shooting: H.S. in Cleveland
    By greysfang in forum News
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: October 11th, 2007, 01:22 PM
  5. Replies: 33
    Last Post: October 3rd, 2006, 03:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •