Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Like Tree733Likes

Thread: Connecticut school shooting: Reports say more than dozen dead

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    It's really incredible just how much in the reporting of this story has been wrong.

-the shooter was misidentified
    -they said his father and another family member had been killed at home
    -they claimed his mother was a teacher at the school
    -the mother was killed at the school
    -the principal let him into the school because she recognized him
    -the children were called kindergarteners
    -his brother drove him to the school and was an accomplice
    -the rifle was in the car
    -his girlfriend and another friend were missing

There's probably more. No accountability either.
    At 1300 that day, foxnews was reporting that the killer had been confirmed as a father of one of the students. They were just making shit up at that point.

It's really incredible just how much in the reporting of this story has been wrong.

-the shooter was misidentified
    -they said his father and another family member had been killed at home
    -they claimed his mother was a teacher at the school
    -the mother was killed at the school
    -the principal let him into the school because she recognized him
    -the children were called kindergarteners
    -his brother drove him to the school and was an accomplice
    -the rifle was in the car
    -his girlfriend and another friend were missing

There's probably more. No accountability either.
    At one point, one of the local CNN reporters remarked that this event was proof that the "race to be the first with breaking news" had become ridiculous, dangerous and irresponsible.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    At 1300 that day, foxnews was reporting that the killer had been confirmed as a father of one of the students. They were just making shit up at that point.
    The bad reporting on this is driving me crazy. Was that the guy who was originally handcuffed? He'd been at the school for some reason when he heard the shots and smelled sulfur, then went racing to his kid's classroom. The police stopped him only because they didn't know who he was, but thankfully his name got dragged through the mud anyway.

Nothing wrong with the activity of target shooting. I wonder more about the atmosphere of fear and paranoia generated by someone preparing for doomsday. That would even be rough for a totally sane person to live in.
    A while back I fell into a Youtube hole and found all the prepper videos and some of those people (most) were completely insane. I knew there were people who stockpiled water and batteries in their basement, but I didn't realize the fortresses people are building. And I had the feeling that I was only on the extreme fringes of the insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Can't get the photo to post, but this is Jillian Soto, Victoria's sister. I had been wondering who this was for a while, since it came out very early when the story broke....

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/l...d66cf95d-3.jpg

I did not know that was Victoria Soto's sister. I kept seeing that picture and I felt terrible for her. Her grief and fear are palpable and I felt like I shouldn't be looking at it. I also had the irrational thought that I hoped she'd find whoever she was looking for.

There have to be other elements besides mental illness and gun access. Other countries have guns and mental illness is unavoidable but don't have regular mass shootings like the US.
    I never thought I'd say this, but maybe we need to make mental health screenings mandatory for kids just like we do with medical physicals. I'm not against kids going to psychiatrists when they need to, but sending all kids seems like it could be overly invasive and it could open the doors to kids being stigmatized about inconsequential things. I guess I don't like the idea of a permanent record, but maybe it would help catch the kids that need extra help.
    laynes likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    WHAT!?! Fox news was making shit up? Color me shocked!
    Kat Scorp and kasippu like this.

Total manifesto coming up. I am quitting Facebook because I just can't take the stupid shit that people are posting because of this. A large group of people think its a good idea to arm every teacher in every school. Sure, lets give hormonal, sometimes angry teenagers easy access to guns. They think everyone should be packing heat " to protect themselves." Like we're in the Wild West. People posting a quote from Morgan freeman, which he didn't even say btw. The hate speak that's been generating for months. I make it a point to not watch political tv or websites due to the hate rhetoric on both sides, now I have to put up with it on Facebook?

Yes the reporting has been horrible on this story. I don't think reporting is going to get any better either.

Maybe I should have put this on the rant/rave thread. Lol
    MmeVertigina and gas_chick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Total manifesto coming up. I am quitting Facebook because I just can't take the stupid shit that people are posting because of this. A large group of people think its a good idea to arm every teacher in every school. Sure, lets give hormonal, sometimes angry teenagers easy access to guns. They think everyone should be packing heat " to protect themselves." Like we're in the Wild West. People posting a quote from Morgan freeman, which he didn't even say btw. The hate speak that's been generating for months. I make it a point to not watch political tv or websites due to the hate rhetoric on both sides, now I have to put up with it on Facebook?

Yes the reporting has been horrible on this story. I don't think reporting is going to get any better either.

Reminds me of this.

And it's good to see that things have only gotten worse since the 70s.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    yeah, like the mother being a doomsday prepper nut job who probably instilled her already disturbed son with a sense of paranoia about the economy collapsing and how you have to prepare for that by, among other things, stockpiling guns and turning your house into a fortress?
    I agree. The fact that she was a doomsday prepper tells me that she was a nutball herself. It's too bad the father didn't give a fuck.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post

I was just coming in here to say that Facebook is driving me right up the wall. First off, EVERYONE is a constitutional scholar now. Secondly, people are ok with bullet proof schools, armed guards, armed teachers (I read that too), banning parents from the schools, etc but if you dare say gun control, all hell breaks loose. Thirdly, if I read one more pithy, canned, sanctimonious slogan in relation to this shooting I'll go insane (e.g. guns don't kill people, people kill people). If that is where your argument begins and ends, you have don't have one you moron.

So far I haven't engaged much except to post in one conversation the statistics on gun violence in America as compared to other developed countries. Crickets, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I agree. The fact that she was a doomsday prepper tells me that she was a nutball herself. It's too bad the father didn't give a fuck.

How do you know that? I mean, maybe you're right and he didn't, but for all we know, it could have been the son and the mother refusing to have anything to do with the father.
    Butterfly and dilligaf like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Can't get the photo to post, but this is Jillian Soto, Victoria's sister. I had been wondering who this was for a while, since it came out very early when the story broke....

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/l...d66cf95d-3.jpg
    Holy shit this picture is heart breaking! This is the first time I've seen it..I just want to give her a hug. I just can't even imagine.

Oh these people on Facebook would think Archie bunker is right. We should hand out pistols to everyone on the plane, then there would be no more hijackings. But they have to protect their family. Are these people overly paranoid? Hate to break it to you, there will be no economic collapse, the world is not ending and Jesus is not coming back, and there will be no zombie apocalypse. Jeesh.
    MmeVertigina likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    How do you know that? I mean, maybe you're right and he didn't, but for all we know, it could have been the son and the mother refusing to have anything to do with the father.
    If it's true that the father hadn't talked to him in a year, I'd say that's a pretty good indication he didn't give enough of a fuck. He'd remarried, moved away, and started a new life. One that obviously didn't include the fucked up kid from his first marriage.

But hey, you're right that I don't know anything for sure because I don't even know these people personally. I do know how I see people behave towards their exes/kids time and time again in divorce/remarriage situations. But who knows. Maybe if another adult/parent (a sane, rational one...even a step, for that matter) had been involved enough with the kid this wouldn't have happened.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

If it's true that the father hadn't talked to him in a year, I'd say that's a pretty good indication he didn't give enough of a fuck. He'd remarried, moved away, and started a new life. One that obviously didn't include the fucked up kid from his first marriage.

But hey, you're right that I don't know anything for sure because I don't even know these people personally. I do know how I see people behave towards their exes/kids time and time again in divorce/remarriage situations. But who knows. Maybe if another adult/parent (a sane, rational one...even a step, for that matter) had been involved enough with the kid this wouldn't have happened.
    Having a kid with a learning disorder, physical disability, development difficulty, or behavioral problems can put a huge strain on a marriage. I have been going to a divorce support group (I'm still married but getting closer to the precipice), and it was astounding one day when we did the math and realized that about 80% of us have a child with a serious problem of one sort or another. It is also not uncommon for one parent to become the caregiver, apologist, de facto therapist, etc for the child, while the other parent takes over as caregiver for the 'normal' sibling. One parent may blame the other's parenting for the kid's problems. To have the shooter's family fragment in this way is not unusual.

Having a child with certain types of problems can also be very isolating. If your kid doesn't have friends, doesn't play soccer on Saturday with practically every other kid, is 'weird' and doesn't get invited to things, as a parent you become left out of the normal fabric of parents who hang together because of their kids' activities.

If the stuff about being a prepper is true, I could see the mom being a little off herself. I certainly can't imagine why she would have guns in the house with a kid with behavioral problems, much less teach him how to shoot them.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Bronze Member

I read from one place that the father had seen him in June so who knows what's the reality. I wouldn't jump on the "parents are to be blamed" wagon before the police investigation is over. The kid might have not shown any signs of aggression. No one has so far said anything like that, just that he was weird because he was quiet and dressed differently than others, and I'm sure aggression would have been noticed by others around him.
    dilligaf and laynes like this.

I'm totally jumping on the bandwagon that if you are a parent who feels he/she is "losing their son" the last thing you do is have a bunch of guns lying around the house. Three guns were found at the crime scene, and one was found outside. Nancy Lanza had four legally registered weapons, and the father had two.

What is also scary is how knowledgeable he was about increasing the capacity of the rifle he used. The medical examiner said he used jungle taping to increase the amount of rounds available to his Bushmaster rifle, which apparently was used to shoot most of the victims. He could have had a magazine capacity of 30 rounds and then doubled it to 60 this way, it seems. Because the average victim was shot between 3 and 11 times, he had about 55-60 rounds available to him in that classroom alone. I'm sure more will come out and it will be more accurate, but a guy whose mental issues were becoming apparent from a mile away (especially by his mom) did not need "firearms therapy". There has to be some other way of bonding with or reaching your troubled child besides this.

Later reports are implying that he only stopped (and killed himself) because first responders were very quickly on the scene. As bad as it was, it could have been worse. I'm waiting to see how many unused rounds were found at the scene.

Thread Information