Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
Like Tree733Likes

Thread: Connecticut school shooting: Reports say more than dozen dead

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Can't get the photo to post, but this is Jillian Soto, Victoria's sister. I had been wondering who this was for a while, since it came out very early when the story broke....

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/l...d66cf95d-3.jpg
    Before I even knew who that was, this photo made me upset. Now I'm crying - literally no words.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

mjw
    Elite Member

This photo posted to the Emilie Parker Fund Facebook page shows Emilie Parker. Fighting back tears and struggling to catch his breath, Robbie Parker the father of 6-year-old Emile Parker who was gunned down in Friday's school shooting in Connecticut told the world about a little girl who loved to draw and was always smiling, and he also reserved surprising words of sympathy for the gunman.

Nov. 13, 202: This photo provided by the family via The Washington Post shows Noah Pozner. The six-year-old was one of the victims in the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting in Newtown, Conn.

"We are overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support from so many people," the family of Grace McDonnell, who was killed in the shooting, said in a statement. "Our daughter Grace was the love and light of our family. Words cannot adequately express our sense of loss."

Nov. 18, 2012: This Nov. 18, 2012 photo provided by John Engel shows six-year-old Olivia Engel, one of the victims in the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting in Newtown, Conn.Source: AP /Engel Family, Tim Nosezo

This 2012 photo provided by the family shows Lauren Rousseau.

This July 2010 photo provided by the Newtown Bee shows Dawn Lafferty Hochsprung, principal at Sandy Hook Elementary School, in Newtown, Conn.

In this undated photo provided by Mark Sherlach, Mark Sherlach and his wife, school psychologist Mary Sherlach, pose for a photo.

Read more: Victims in Connecticut school shooting | Fox News

This was an interesting read, and she makes a point about the lack of options. That being said, at least SHE didn't stock her house with an arsenal
    I Am Adam Lanza's Mother | Slog

I do feel that this is a conversation that needs to be had.
    sluce likes this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

mjw
    Elite Member

Part of a long article from the Mail Online.

Family friends said Lanza’s problems started to escalate when his parents divorced in 2008 after 18 years together.

His father Peter, a wealthy executive for General Electric, who is believed to earn $1 million a year, moved out of the family home in 2006, citing ‘irreconcilable differences’.

The 52-year-old married librarian Shelley Cudiner last year, and the couple moved 40 miles away to Stamford, Connecticut..

However, he continued to provide well for Nancy and their younger son, giving her the family home as well as nearly $325,000 a year.

One of Lanza’s former classmates spoke of his ‘noticeable decline’ after his parents’ divorce. ‘He was a loner at school and hyper intelligent,’ he said. ‘But in recent years he disappeared off the radar.

‘The word is that he was badly affected when his parents split and that might be what pushed him over the edge.

‘He was always weird but the divorce affected him. He was arguing with his mother. He was a ticking time bomb waiting to explode.’

A relative to the family said that Adam Lanza was ‘obviously not well,’ adding that he often seemed troubled. They described Nancy as being rigid and at times, overbearing.

Dan Holmes, owner of a landscaping firm who worked on the family’s home, said she was an avid gun collector: ‘She told me she would go target shooting with her kids.’

Sources close to the investigation also revealed last night that Nancy had recently stopped hosting monthly get-togethers for neighbors in order to look after her increasingly troubled son.

The 50-year-old is thought to have worked as a supply teacher at the elementary school where the shootings took place.

Last night it also emerged Nancy was a member of the Doomsday Preppers movement, which believes people should prepare for end of the world.

Her former sister-in-law Marsha said she had turned her home ‘into a fortress’. She added: ‘Nancy had a survivalist philosophy which is why she was stockpiling guns. She had them for defense.

‘She was stockpiling food. She grew up on a farm in New Hampshire. She was skilled with guns. We talked about preppers and preparing for the economy collapsing.’

Marsha added that her nephew had been raised by ‘kind, nurturing’ parents’. She said she last seen Adam in June but recalled nothing appeared out of the ordinary.
    ‘Nancy was a good mother, kind-hearted,’ she added. ‘She wasn’t one to deny reality. She would have sought psychiatric help for her son had she felt he needed it.’
    Adam Lanza: How classmates remember the 'genius' who turned heartless killer | Mail Online

So, the nut didn't fall far from the maternal tree.
    Butterfly, sputnik, deenz and 3 others like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Gold Member

These photos are breaking my heart, as are the stories. The teachers (those who died and survived) were so brave as was the principal who tried to tackle the gunman and paid for her life with it.

I don't know what to think about the mother. A lot of stories are saying the shooter was seen as "troubled" even in his teens. What did his parents do for him then? I know that once you turn 18 the parents' options are limited because technically he would be an adult, but you would also think a mother wouldn't keep an arsenal in her home where her (possibly) mentally ill son could get access to them. Even if she hid her guns, she obviously didn't hide them well enough if he found them.

What was his father's role in his life? It sounds to me like this is/was a highly dysfunctional family.

Even if his family wanted him to go to treatment where would he go? Mental health funding is dismally low and treatment centers are being shut down due to budget cuts. If this tragedy isn't the catalyst for change, then I don't know what will. But then again, I thought we'd have a serious mental health discussion after Aurora and nothing happened.
    Last edited by lizzybabe; December 16th, 2012 at 09:59 AM.

I wonder at the isolation described. Obviously the mother knew there was a problem and was committed to working on it (though stocking her house with GUNS was a questionable choice, to say the least) but there is a lot of vagueness as to what the boy's diagnosis/actual problems were, which leads me to believe she didn't have a lot of people in her life aware or involved in his care. We are not hearing from doctors that treated him, from the teachers who interacted with him. Maybe that's because its still early, but we are VERY protective of our rights to parent our own children in the ES, and I wonder if there is some backlash in that when we do need help, others feel it is not their responsibility to give it? Not that it sounds like she asked for it (Which may be another contributing factor)

I know there are those who believe this is not the time to analyze, but I feel we should acknowledge problems and work in them when these things are fresh in our minds. How often do we think about the Batman victims now? It was horrible when it happened, but then it slowly slipped off our radar because, well, we need to live our lives. But if these things are just going to keep coming more and more frequently, we have to have the conversation that comes with starting to change and I don't think the gun control argument covers it completely.
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Of course we need to analyze it, but as far as the mother/family dynamic goes, we don't know enough to begin any meaningful conversation. We don't know yet what mental illness he may have suffered from, or what his mother or father may or may not have done about.

I'm seeing this on Facebook too, where everyone is making wild assumptions and proposing solutions to those make believe assumptions. I can't see how that helps but I can see how it hurts because it makes a lot of noise that can impede real talk.
    laynes and Kat Scorp like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybabe View Post
    These photos are breaking my heart, as are the stories. The teachers (those who died and survived) were so brave as was the principal who tried to tackle the gunman and paid for her life with it.

I don't know what to think about the mother. A lot of stories are saying the shooter was seen as "troubled" even in his teens. What did his parents do for him then? I know that once you turn 18 the parents' options are limited because technically he would be an adult, but you would also think a mother wouldn't keep an arsenal in her home where her severely mentally ill son could get access to them. Even if she hid her guns, she obviously didn't hide them well enough if he found them.

What was his father's role in his life? It sounds to me like this is/was a highly dysfunctional family.

Even if his family wanted him to go to treatment where would he go? Mental health funding is dismally low and treatment centers are being shut down due to budget cuts. If this tragedy isn't the catalyst for change, then I don't know what will. But then again, I thought we'd have a serious mental health discussion after Aurora and nothing happened.
    This was not a poor family the father makes a million a year and sends the mother $350,000 a year....they could have gotten the best care for him if they wanted...she chose to spend her money on guns.
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Can't get the photo to post, but this is Jillian Soto, Victoria's sister. I had been wondering who this was for a while, since it came out very early when the story broke....

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/l...d66cf95d-3.jpg
    I live in Stratford, where the Soto family lives, not far from Newtown. I am acquainted with the father, but I don't know Victoria or her sister, Jillian / Carly (the teens I know have been calling her Carly...not sure if she has one legal name ad one nickname). My sons' gf said that Carly said how sad it is that this picture will follow her throughout her life, it is the moment she heard her sister had passed.

I was unable to attend the vigil here in town for Victoria, but was able to go to Sandy Hook to pay my respects. I've been thru the area many times, and my sister lives near there.

Driving up the main road there is a pond, someone had placed 20 luminaria there. Other homes further up were lined with candles, or other tributes. A piece of wood on a stone wall had candles sitting on it. The landmark "flagpole" at the main intersection is ringed with flowers, the fence on either side of the bridge overpass as you enter Sandy Hook center has signs and balloons.

The feeling of mourning, sadness, heartbreak is palpable on the street. As a human being it's hard not to be overwhelmed by it all. It brought it to a different level for my family. And when you see Anderson Cooper live - 10 feet from you conducting a live interview...it's so surreal.

I am amazed at the families who are ablt to speak and be articulate and compassionate in their sorrow. I send them blessings.
    dilligaf likes this.

This is true. There isn't enough detail available and those involved are probably too emotionally compromised right now for it to be ethical to question them.
    Do it anyway

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    I live in Stratford, where the Soto family lives, not far from Newtown. I am acquainted with the father, but I don't know Victoria or her sister, Jillian / Carly (the teens I know have been calling her Carly...not sure if she has one legal name ad one nickname). My sons' gf said that Carly said how sad it is that this picture will follow her throughout her life, it is the moment she heard her sister had passed.

I was unable to attend the vigil here in town for Victoria, but was able to go to Sandy Hook to pay my respects. I've been thru the area many times, and my sister lives near there.

Driving up the main road there is a pond, someone had placed 20 luminaria there. Other homes further up were lined with candles, or other tributes. A piece of wood on a stone wall had candles sitting on it. The landmark "flagpole" at the main intersection is ringed with flowers, the fence on either side of the bridge overpass as you enter Sandy Hook center has signs and balloons.

The feeling of mourning, sadness, heartbreak is palpable on the street. As a human being it's hard not to be overwhelmed by it all. It brought it to a different level for my family. And when you see Anderson Cooper live - 10 feet from you conducting a live interview...it's so surreal.

I am amazed at the families who are ablt to speak and be articulate and compassionate in their sorrow. I send them blessings.
    I saw coverage of the rally they had for Victoria Soto last night and it was extremely moving. Especially when they had the parents of one of the children in her class talk about how she saved the childrens' lives and how their son still doesn't know his teacher is dead and how he keeps asking about her.

It is going to take a long time for this town to recover.

So the dad remarried and moved away. Wonder if he had shit to do with this kid afterward? Other than throwing money.

Not that any of this excuses what the fuckball did. But I don't give a fuck what people say about his parents being great, wonderful, nuturing people...they obviously had other things going on rather than noticing their little shit was going psycho.
    Butterfly likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Mmmm, doomsday prepper mom living with a mentally unstable son and December 21 approaching..... Wonder if that Maya date might have had something to do with it.
    Kat Scorp and MmeVertigina like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Thread Information