Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Like Tree733Likes

Thread: Connecticut school shooting: Reports say more than dozen dead

Elite Member

Please skip cuz I'm ranting and raging and fucking sick of this shit -

Yeah, all that gun training really helped her when her life was threatened. How many children of gun owners have ended up killing others now? Don't these enthusiasts claim to make society safer for all of us? They know how to handle a gun, we don't?
    MmeVertigina and kasippu like this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

mjw
    Elite Member

Family, friends remember the brave, caring legacy of Sandy Hook teacher Vicki Soto, 27

Sandy Hook Elementary School first-grade teacher Vicki Soto tried to shield her students from the maniacal shooter. 'She put herself between the gunman and her students,' her cousin Jim Wiltsie told the Daily News.

She took a bullet for her kids.

Teacher Victoria Soto used her body to shield her students from the maniacal gunman who staged a massacre at a Connecticut school, relatives said Saturday.

Soto paid for her bravery with her life. But in doing so, the 27-year-old saved her first-graders from the murderous wrath of Adam Lanza — and became a hero.

“The family received information she was found shielding her students in a closet,” Soto’s cousin, Jim Wiltsie, told the Daily News. “She put herself between the gunman and her students.”

Wiltsie said the family was told of Soto’s heroism at Sandy Hook Elementary School by police.

“I'm very proud to report she was a hero,” said Wiltsie, who is a police officer in Fairfield, Conn. “I would expect nothing less from Vicki. Instinctively her training kicked in. She did what she was trained to do, but also but her heart told her to do.”

Knowing this, said Wiltsie, has given the family only a small measure of peace.

“Emotionally, it's a lot to process all at once,” he said. “It's still surreal to the family that this happened.”

And the fact that Soto was slain just before Christmas has devastated them, he added.

A friend posted this picture of Vicki on her Tumblr page where she said she had talked to her on Tuesday "and she told me she loved her 16 angels and never wanted to let them go." She added: "Today when the shooting started Vicki hid her kids in closets and when the gunman came into her room she said the class was in gym. She was then murdered. Not one of her students were harmed. Words can not express how heartbreaking and tragic this is. I will miss you dearly."

“She absolutely adored her family, a very close-knit family,” said Wiltsie. “She was the ringleader of the bunch. They had just done secret Santa. She always took charge.”

Soto lived with her parents, her sisters, and a brother in Stratford, Conn. Home was a modest Cape Cod-style house in a blue-collar neighborhood. She was single, doted on her black Labrador, Roxy, and was a regular worshipper at the Lordship Community Church in Stratford.

Her mom, Donna, has worked as a nurse at Bridgeport Hospital for 30 years. Her dad, Carlos, is a crane operator for the state’s Department of Transportation.

Vicki, as everybody called her, was the apple of her father’s eye. And it was left to him to formally identify his daughter’s body.

“He always talked about her,” said Gary Verbanic, who works with the heartbroken dad. “He loved her like you wouldn’t believe. Every time he spoke to her on the phone, he was cheerful.”

“I’m heartbroken” Verbanic added. “She was an amazing person.”

Soto’s next-door neighbor said the fetching brunette “was so sweet.”

“When I hurt my back, she came over and shovelled my walkway,” said George Henderson, 55. “She didn’t have to do that. She was a young lady. She had a whole lot going for her.”

Her only complaint, Henderson said, was about her long commute to the school in Newtown. “I’m so sad I won't hear her car cranking up every morning,” he said.

Soto had been teaching at the school for five years — and was adored by her students. She called them her “angels” and delighted the little devil in them by sometimes chewing gum in class, which all the kids knew is a no-no at the school.

No funeral arrangements have been made yet for Soto because her body has not been released. But Wilstie said he wants the world to know Vicki’s story now, before she is buried and forgotten.

“I want to get this out there,” he said. “Instead of her just being a statistic or number on a piece of paper, I want people to know Vicki's story and put a face behind what she did for those kids.”
    csiemaszko@nydailynews.com

Read more: Family, friends remember the brave, caring legacy of Sandy Hook teacher Vicki Soto, 27 - NY Daily News

l

I just read those assholes at Westboro church plan on picketing the funerals. They need to be stopped!

What a brave and amazing young woman.

Such a horrific tragedy.
    MmeVertigina likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_On_TheWall View Post
    I just read those assholes at Westboro church plan on picketing the funerals. They need to be stopped!
    Meh, they won't show. They don't travel that far. They just threaten to for the publicity.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

mjw
    Elite Member

Robbie Parker, Dad Of Emilie, Gives Emotional Statement In Newtown [video]

Robbie Parker, whose daughter Emilie was one of the 20 slain children at Sandy Hook Elementary, gave a heartbreaking statement to press this evening in Newtown, Connecticut.

Robbie Parker’s statement, broadcast on CNN, blew viewers away with the grieving dad’s graceful words regarding the tragedy that claimed the lives of Emilie Parker, 6, and 19 of her classmates, along with six female Sandy Hook Elementary School employees.

Many were moved to tears watching Parker, tearful himself, describe his firstborn daughter’s ability to “light up a room” as he recalled her life and their last conversation.
    Among the things Robbie Parker had to say about how the family is dealing with the loss of Emilie, he told those gathered:

“Let this inspire us to be better, more compassionate, and caring toward other people.”

Parker urged parents to be a little more patient, and spoke of the heartbreaking circumstance of explaining Emilie Parker’s death to her siblings, three and four. He said:

“They seem to get the fact that they have somebody they’re going to miss very much.”

To the family of Adam Lanza, Parker included them directly in his support for other families, and said:

“I can’t imagine how hard this experience must be for you.”

Parker added that after the tragedy, he felt “blessed to be” Emilie’s dad for her short time here, and said:

“I’m not mad … If there’s anything I can do to help anyone anywhere, I’m willing to do that.”

Last night, Parker’s uncle Nate Lucas told press that his nephew Robbie and wife Alissa had a long, agonizing wait to hear about Emilie and her condition during the hours after the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting. Lucas said:

“All the kids were taken to a fire station complex, and Alissa was trying to find Emilie, and couldn’t find her … That was the first indication that the news might not be good. Later, some information was given to Robbie and Alissa, that she was one who was at least injured, but they didn’t give them any other information. Quite some time later, the confirmation was that Emilie was one of those killed.”
    Emilie Parker’s name was one of 26 released today by the Connecticut medical examiner after a press conference with Dr. Wayne Carver on the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings.

Longtime friends of Robbie Parker and wife Alissa have set up the Emilie Parker Fund to assist the family, and you can like their page on Facebook for updates and information on donating to the #EmilieParkerFund.

Read more at Robbie Parker, Dad Of Emilie, Gives Emotional Statement In Newtown [Video]

These children deserve for us to know their names (more so than the killer's) but damn it's really hard to see their sweet faces. And that teacher that hid them all... tears again.
    stef likes this.

fgg

i started crying earlier when i heard about vickie soto protecting those childeren at her own expense. a true hero.
    Lalique likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Meh, they won't show. They don't travel that far. They just threaten to for the publicity.
    They came to my hometown in Mississippi to protest a funeral last year. Strangely enough, all of their cars were blocked in at the hotel that morning by some 18 wheelers. The local taxi company wouldn't answer their calls, and despite their "best efforts" law enforcement couldn't locate any of the drivers or the keys.

These victims' beautiful faces are so hard to see. My five year old daughter asked me today why all the flags had "fallen". I cried again. They are so innocent. Wow, that father in the video above expressed sympathy for suspect and family. He is a better person than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    They came to my hometown in Mississippi to protest a funeral last year. Strangely enough, all of their cars were blocked in at the hotel that morning by some 18 wheelers. The local taxi company wouldn't answer their calls, and despite their "best efforts" law enforcement couldn't locate any of the drivers or the keys.

These victims' beautiful faces are so hard to see. My five year old daughter asked me today why all the flags had "fallen". I cried again. They are so innocent. Wow, that father in the video above expressed sympathy for suspect and family. He is a better person than I am.
    Isn't funny how forgetful those truck drivers are leaving their trucks parked like that? I love it.

The story about your daughter is sweet and terribly sad at the same time. I agree that Emilie Parker's father is a better person than I am too.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I don't think I could be as gracious as Emilie's dad. I'm sure I couldn't. I can't now.

[/thru tears]

HWBL and JazzyGirl like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Can't get the photo to post, but this is Jillian Soto, Victoria's sister. I had been wondering who this was for a while, since it came out very early when the story broke....

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/l...d66cf95d-3.jpg

Hit By Ban Bus!

Just sickening.

"Today when the shooting started Vicki hid her kids in closets and when the gunman came into her room she said the class was in gym. She was then murdered. Not one of her students were harmed. Words can not express how heartbreaking and tragic this is. I will miss you dearly."
    If this is true (cause it's weird to me how the friend on tumblr knows that exactly) holy crap the courage this girl had. I think I'd just panic and I'd be shoving first graders out of the closet to fit my fat self instead of waiting to confront the gunman. Poor woman, her family must be going through hell.

I'm also amazed at how that father found it in his heart to feel bad for the Lanzas too. Though, that gun enthousiast mother can rot in hell for all I care. Why the hell did she not get her psycho son committed? Having him around guns all the time was the answer for her? If only he had only killed her.
    Butterfly likes this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

And The Onion says it all:

WASHINGTON—Following the fatal shooting this morning at a Connecticut elementary school that left at least 27 dead, including 20 small children, sources across the nation shook their heads, stifled a sob in their voices, and reported fuck everything. Just fuck it all to hell.
    All of it, sources added.
    “I’m sorry, but fuck it, I can’t handle this—I just can’t handle it anymore,” said Deborah McEllis, who added that “no, no, no, no, no, this isn’t happening, this can’t be real.” “Seriously, what the hell is this? What’s even going on anymore? Why do things like this keep happening?”
    Continued McEllis, before covering her face with her hands, “Why?”
    Despairing sources confirmed that the gunman, armed with a semiautomatic assault rifle—a fucking combat rifle, Jesus—walked into a classroom full of goddamned children where his mother was a teacher and, good God, if this is what the world is becoming, then how about we just pack it in and fucking give up, because this is no way to live.
    I mean, honestly, all 315 million Americans confirmed.
    “Well, I suppose we have to try to pick up the pieces and make some sort of sense of this tragedy and—you know what? Fuck it, I can’t do this,” said Connecticut resident Michael Zaleski, his remarks understandable given the circumstances, because, holy shit, what else can one say? “I’m sorry, but I can’t fucking do this. Can you? Can anyone?”

Witnesses said the gunman fired at least 100 rounds during his deadly rampage, which, according to children in the school—goddamnit, how? How? Twenty children. Dead. In a fucking school.
    No. No, no, no.
    “I just feel so [why does it even matter what this person said when no words can bring 20 dead kids back to life?]” said some person who, just like everyone else, is completely unable to process or handle any of this. “It’s awful. Just too awful to bear.”
    Americans reported feelings of overwhelming disgust with whatever abhorrent bastard did this and with the world at large for ever allowing it to happen, as well as with politicians, with the NRA, and above all with their own pathetic goddamn selves, sitting in front of a fucking computer instead of doing fucking anything to help anyone—Christ, as if that were even fucking possible, as if anyone could change what happened, as if the same fucking bullshit isn’t going to keep happening again and again and fucking again before people finally decide it’s time to change the way we live, so what’s the point? What the hell is the goddamned point?
    “I…” said Tom Miller, 27, after reading an article about the tragedy online. “I just…”
    “…” he added.
    At press time…screw it, there’s nothing else to say.
    Kat Scorp and MmeVertigina like this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Thread Information