Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Like Tree733Likes

Thread: Connecticut school shooting: Reports say more than dozen dead

fgg

i heard on the news that the shooter's grandmother lives in florida and there are deputies at her house for protection. WTF would anyone want to harm the grandmother over what this mentally disturbed person did 2k miles away??

i get so torn up each time there's an update on the news. i just can't fathom what these families are going through.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

One thing to note about the stabbing in China is that so far there have been no deaths reported. That's the difference between guns and knives.

I don't think anyone should be able to carry guns apart from police and military. If there must be private citizens with guns, there should be mandatory courses and testing, not to mention extensive background checks. There should be a limit on number of guns you can own, there should be NO assault weapons sold to the general public... The issue of mental health reform is incredibly important as well and needs to be looked at too, but psychotic breaks are still going to happen with little warning and tragic consequences. I'm all for making it harder to inflict vast amounts of damage.

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Pictures of innocence: victims of the Sandy Hook killer

Jesse Lewis with his father Neil Heslin and Ana Marquez-Greene

Ana Marquez-Greene, the daughter of the jazz musician Jimmy Greene, Grace McDonnell and Jesse Lewis were all six year old pupils whodied at Sandy Hook Elementary School after being murdered by Adam Lanza.

Ana and her older brother, Isaiah, enrolled at Sandy Hook Elementary School earlier this year after moving to the area with their parents in July.

Both she and her brother were inside the school when the killer opened fire. She was one of the 20 pupils shot dead but her brother escaped unharmed.

Grace McDonnell has been described as 'utterly adorable' and 'full of life'. One neighbour described her as looking like a "little doll" with her bright blue eyes and blonde hair.

Her parents Lynn McDonnell, 45, a housewife, and Christopher, 49, a business executive, live in a $500,000 detached home in Sandy Hook, Connecticut, one street away from where alleged killer Adam Lanza lived

Neighbour Dorothy Werden, 49, a stay at home mother, said: "I just choke up when I think about it. Grace was like a little doll. She was utterly adorable.

"I used to see her waiting for the school bus over the road from our house every day. She had blonde hair and blue eyes – she was like a little Barbie doll.

"When I saw Lynn and Christopher at the school with Lynn being held up by a nun I knew things were not good. I can't imagine what they are going through."

A male neighbour who declined to be named said: "What they are going through is indescribable. We are very close. It's just awful".

Jesse's grieving father Neil Heslin told the New York Post that his son had been in Victoria Soto's class - the first grade teacher who died trying to protect her pupils.
    He said the class had been due to make gingerbread houses during the afternoon.

said: "I dropped him off at school at 9am. He went happily. That was the last I saw of him.

“He was just a happy boy. He was going to go places in life. He did well in school. He was terrific with animals... He’s been on horses since he was a year-and-a-half old.”

Mr Heslin also described Adam Lanza, the gunman who killed his son, as "cowardly".

“I feel that it was a cowardly thing he did to the victims and a cowardly thing he did to himself,” he said.

"For what he did to his victims and the way he went into the school, he picked victims that couldn’t defend themselves against him.”
    Pictures of innocence: victims of the Sandy Hook killer - Telegraph

Jesus, those poor children. I can't even take looking at these photos. It's unfathomable how horrible it is.

ugh, it is so hard to actually see a face of one of the kids.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Hospital shooting in Alabama...

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- A man opened fire early Saturday at a hospital in Alabama, wounding a police officer and two employees before being shot and killed by another officer, authorities said.

Police were sent to St. Vincent's Hospital around 4 a.m. to check on a report of an armed man inside the facility. Two officers who arrived separately converged on the suspect on the hospital's fifth floor.

"When the officer encountered the suspect, there was immediate gunfire from the suspect," Birmingham Police Sgt. Johnny Williams said. One police officer and two hospital employees who happened to be in the area were wounded.

A second officer shot back, mortally wounding the suspect.

Williams said detectives were still trying to determine Saturday why the armed man was in the hospital. Authorities did not immediately release the names of the assailant or the victims.

A handful of cardiac patients and several staff members were on the fifth floor, hospital spokeswoman Liz Moore told reporters during a news conference. She said the hospital is secure and stable, and patient care was not interrupted.
    Alabama Hospital Shooting: St. Vincent's Gunman Wounds 3 Before Being Killed By Police
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

There have to be other elements besides mental illness and gun access. Other countries have guns and mental illness is unavoidable but don't have regular mass shootings like the US.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

There's a real undercurrent of anger that I feel all around me. People feel like they have no control over their lives. There is a sense of hopelessness for many. The financial crisis is certainly a major factor contributing to this. People who have played by the rules all these years see their jobs disappear, savings gone, homes lost with no way to gain back ground. Some feel that the government is trying to take away material things (money/taxes, healthcare) and freedoms (privacy, gun ownership) and redistribute to those who just want to be taken care of and not work for anything. There is a lack of respect for authority - because many in authoritative positions have failed us. So then there becomes a selfishness - I only care about me and mine and the rest of you can go screw.

Then you also have a culture whose media emphasizes violence (but God-forbid Janet Jackson's nipple is shown on TV) and material things gained by the easiest methods possible and this is what kids grow up with. And media is everywhere 24/7 to kids as is communication to almost anyone in an instant through social media. Kids grow up too fast and their brains are just not mature enough to deal with all of this stimulation from the outside world.

I am not a parent but I can't imagine having to deal with keeping your child safe in this world today.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

The idea that he was wearing protective gear to kill babies is just too much. He could have worn nothing and those sweet souls still couldn't defend themselves against him.

May he rot in hell for all eternity.
    McJag, politesse and mfox758 like this.

Locally, names are coming out. We are acquainted with the parents of the 27 yo teacher that was killed. So many families affected, the ties are far reaching. Everyone I speak to seems to know someone direclty or indirectly.

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Conn. School victims shot by rifle multiple times

NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — All the victims of the Connecticut elementary school shooting were killed up close by multiple rifle shots, a medical examiner said.

Dr. H. Wayne Carver said at a news conference Saturday the deaths are classified as homicides. He said he believes "everybody was hit more than once."

"This is a very devastating set of injuries," Carver said.

Friday's massacre of 26 children and adults at the school elicited horror and soul-searching around the world even as it raised more basic questions about why the gunman, a 20-year-old described as brilliant but remote, was driven to such a crime and how he chose his victims.

Investigators were trying to learn more about Adam Lanza and questioned his older brother, who was not believed to have been involved in the rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary. Police shed no light on the motive for the second-deadliest school shooting in U.S. history.

In tight-knit Newtown on Friday night, hundreds of people packed St. Rose of Lima Church and stood outside in a vigil for the 28 dead — 20 children and six adults at the school, the gunman's mother at home, and the gunman himself, who committed suicide. People held hands, lit candles and sang "Silent Night."

"These 20 children were just beautiful, beautiful children," Monsignor Robert Weiss said. "These 20 children lit up this community better than all these Christmas lights we have. ... There are a lot brighter stars up there tonight because of these kids."

Lanza is believed to have suffered from a personality disorder and lived with his mother, said a law enforcement official who was briefed on the investigation. Authorities said he had no criminal history.

Asked at a news conference whether Lanza had left any emails or other writings that might explain the rampage, state police Lt. Paul Vance said investigators had found "very good evidence" and hoped it would answer questions about the gunman's motives. Vance would not elaborate.

However, another law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that investigators have found no note or manifesto of the sort they have come to expect after murderous rampages.

The tragedy plunged the picturesque New England town of 27,000 people into mourning.

"People in my neighborhood are feeling guilty about it being Christmas. They are taking down decorations," said Jeannie Pasacreta, a psychologist who volunteered her services and was advising parents struggling with how to talk to their children.

Lanza shot his mother, Nancy Lanza, drove to the school in her car with at least three of her guns, and opened fire in two classrooms around 9:30 a.m. Friday, authorities said.

A custodian ran through the halls, warning of a gunman, and someone switched on the intercom, perhaps saving many lives by letting them hear the chaos in the school office, according to a teacher. Teachers locked their doors and ordered children to huddle in a corner, duck under their desks or hide in closets as shots reverberated through the building.

Among those killed was the school's well-liked principal, Dawn Hochsprung. Town officials said she died while lunging at the gunman in an attempt to overtake him. A woman who worked at the school was wounded.

Maryann Jacob, a clerk in the school library, was in there with 18 fourth-graders when they heard a commotion and gunfire outside the room. She had the youngsters crawl into a storage room, and they locked the door and barricaded it with a file cabinet. There happened to be materials for coloring, "so we set them up with paper and crayons."

After what she guessed was about an hour, officers came to the door and knocked, but those inside couldn't be sure it was the police.

"One of them slid his badge under the door, and they called and said, 'It's OK, it's the police,'" she said.

The district superintendent said she was told another teacher pushed students in the kiln room until police let them out.

Investigators believe Lanza attended the school several years ago but appeared to have no recent connection to it, a law enforcement official speaking on condition of anonymity said. It was not clear whether he held a job.

At least one parent said Lanza's mother was a substitute teacher at the school. But her name did not appear on a staff list. And the official said investigators were unable to establish any connection so far between her and the school.

The law enforcement officials insisted on anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the unfolding investigation.

Lanza's older brother, 24-year-old Ryan Lanza, of Hoboken, N.J., was questioned, and investigators searched his computers and phone records, but he told law enforcement he had not been in touch with his brother since about 2010.

For about two hours late Friday and early Saturday, clergy members and emergency vehicles moved steadily to and from the school. The state medical examiner's office said bodies of the victims would be taken there for autopsies.

The gunman forced his way into the kindergarten-through-fourth-grade school, authorities said. He took three guns into the school — a Glock and a Sig Sauer, both semiautomatic pistols, and a .223-caliber Bushmaster rifle, according to an official who spoke on the condition of anonymity. The weapons were registered to his slain mother.

Lanza and his mother lived in a well-to-do part of prosperous Newtown, about 60 miles northeast of New York City, where neighbors are doctors or hold white-collar positions at companies such as General Electric, Pepsi and IBM.

His parents filed for divorce in 2008, according to court records. His father, Peter Lanza, lives in Stamford, Conn., and works as a tax director for GE.

The gunman's aunt Marsha Lanza, of Crystal Lake, Ill., said her nephew was raised by kind, nurturing parents who would not have hesitated to seek mental help for him if he needed it.

"Nancy wasn't one to deny reality," Marsha Lanza said, adding her husband had seen Adam as recently as June and recalled nothing out of the ordinary.

Catherine Urso, of Newtown, said her college-age son knew the killer. "He just said he was very thin, very remote and was one of the goths," she said.

Lanza attended Newtown High School, and several news clippings from recent years mention his name among the honor roll students.

Joshua Milas, who graduated from Newtown High in 2009 and belonged to the school technology club with him, said that Lanza was generally a happy person but that he hadn't seen him in a few years.

"We would hang out, and he was a good kid. He was smart," Joshua Milas said. "He was probably one of the smartest kids I know. He was probably a genius."

Police, world wonder about Conn. shooting motive

mjw
    Elite Member

List of Victims

NEWTOWN (WABC) --

Charlotte Bacon 2/22/06

Daniel Barden 9/25/05

Rachel Davino 7/17/83

Olivia Engel 7/18/06

Josephine Gay 12/11/05

Ana Marquez-Greene 4/4/06

Dylan Hockley 3/8/06

Dawn Hocksprung 6/28/65

Madeleine Hsu 7/10/06

Catherine Hubbard 6/8/06

Chase Kowalski 10/31/05

Jessie Lewis 6/30/06

James Mattioli 3/22/06

Grace McDonnell 11/04/05

Anne Marie Murphy 7/25/60

Emilie Parker 5/12/06

Jack Pinto 5/6/06

Noah Pozner 11/20/06

Caroline Previdi 9/7/06

Jessico Rekos 5/10/06

Avielle Richman 10/17/06

Lauren Russeau 6/0/82

Mary Sherlach 2/11/56

Victoria Soto 11/04/85

Benjamin Wheeler 9/12/06

Allison Wyatt 7/3/06

List of victims released in Newtown shooting | 7online.com

I can't stop crying.
    mfox758 likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

most of them were just 6 years old... this is heartbreaking.
    mfox758 likes this.

What kind of a role model is this for a child?

CT Mass School Shooting Suspect's Mom Was Gun Enthusiast, Taught Him To Shoot: Gothamist

“They went target shooting as a family,” Holmes also told The Daily News. “That was a passion. The whole family would go together.” It's unclear where those other three weapons came from, but NBC reports that Lanza went to a Dick's Sporting Goods store in Danbury on Tuesday to buy a rifle, but was turned down because he didn't want to undergo a background check or abide by the state's waiting period for gun sales.
    According to the Post, Nancy Lanza was a gun enthusiast who often took her son shooting with her. “She'd take them to the range a lot…Nancy was an enthusiast—so much so that she wanted to pass it on to her kids,” said her former landscaper and "occasional drinking buddy" Dan Holmes. “She took her two sons to the gun ranges quite a bit to practice their aim. She was a really great shot from what she told me. Whenever I finished work and went inside to chit chat, she spoke often about her fascination with firearms. Nancy had an extensive gun collection and she was really quite proud of it.”

The NY Times talked to more friends and neighbors about Nancy Lanza, with some calling her an upbeat, participating member of the community (who would go to Labor Day picnics and ladies' nights out); others said she was a woman dealing with a difficult son and maintaining a public face “with uncommon grace.” Interestingly, none of those people could say what she did for a living. “She was really kind and warm, but she always seemed a little bit high-strung,” said Jim Leff, a musician who knew her from hanging out at local restaurant and music spot, My Place.

More story and a photo of the mother at the link above.

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread Information