Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Like Tree733Likes

Thread: Connecticut school shooting: Reports say more than dozen dead

And from an outsider's perspective, part of the problem is that everyone seems to think they're Rambo and that if they're carrying a gun they're somehow safe and can protect others. One of the posters in the movie shooting thread said something like "I carry my gun everywhere and if I'd been there I'd have taken the shooter down" which is misguided nonsense. Nobody I know has guns other than farmers and as far as I know nobody wants them, they're a non-issue. It seems (again from an outsider) that this right to bear arms is taken very seriously by Americans, but it's difficult for the rest of us to see why it's so important.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I agree with you, faithanne. There is a definite percentage of Americans that feel like if you even mention gun control laws they flip out and say that their civil liberties are being stepped on. I saw a lot of people commenting after the mall shooting that more people should be able to carry concealed weapons because they would have been able to shoot the shooter (at the mall this past week). So, then it turns into a "old west" show down and it becomes really hard to tell who is "good and bad".

This is my opinion, so I understand that many will disagree. I think assault rifles and semi-automatic guns should only be for the military and law enforcement I don't see any justification why a regular person needs to have weapons like that. I have a friend with many guns, including semi-automatics (I know nothing about guns) and it sort of freaks me out. His house was broken into 4-5 years ago by a druggie cousin who stole some of his guns. So, even if you are careful with them you never know who might decide to get their hands on them. I wrote to my congressman today, first time ever, to demand change. Let's hope that this is the time when people decide changes needs to happen now, not later, and that the gun lobbies hold way too much power in this country.

You all are so sane compared to the reactions I am reading via facebook. Thanks for the good links.
    mfox758 and shedevilang like this.

what is going on in the world. first this, and then i just read about the stabbing spree of kindergartners in china. these poor children. such a tragedy.

China stabbing spree hurts 22 schoolchildren - World - CBC News

Quote Originally Posted by MmeVertigina View Post
    You all are so sane compared to the reactions I am reading via facebook. Thanks for the good links.
    Try reading the comments on Yahoo. Some of the stuff being posted there is unbelievable.
    MmeVertigina and mfox758 like this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I dunno...it's easy to blame the parents, but the truth is, once a mentally ill person reaches adulthood, there's not much anyone can do if they don't want to seek help. Getting someone declared incompetent, into treatment, forcing them to take their meds, not an easy task. Many just fall through the cracks.
    This is very true. I have a friend with an adult schizophrenic son. He is fine when he takes his medication but when he's off it he just falls apart. She has told me about how frightening it is that because he's an adult there is often very little she can do. In this case, I'm wondering why the shooter's mother owned these guns and had them in the house, given her son's problems.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I dunno...it's easy to blame the parents, but the truth is, once a mentally ill person reaches adulthood, there's not much anyone can do if they don't want to seek help. Getting someone declared incompetent, into treatment, forcing them to take their meds, not an easy task. Many just fall through the cracks.
    This is very true. I have a friend with an adult schizophrenic son. He is fine when he takes his medication but when he's off it he just falls apart. She has told me about how frightening it is that because he's an adult there is often very little she can do. In this case, I'm wondering why the shooter's mother owned these guns and had them in the house, given her son's problems.

What is going on in the world. first this, and then i just read about the stabbing spree of kindergartners in china. these poor children. such a tragedy.
    At least he didn't have a gun.
    MmeVertigina likes this.

I've talked about my uncle with paranoid schizophrenia here and I can't imagine ANY of my family members allowing guns in a house with him. That being said, all we know is that the brother said he has autism and emotional problems, right? He could be anywhere on the spectrum, and emotional problems could mean about anything(?) Maybe I missed something.

The thing is, if this is some sort of psychological break, predicting such a thing is very difficult and I think this is one of the reason why these young men pop off and then their families are left wondering if they did 'enough'. I caught myself yesterday thinking about how my youngest tends to be very emotional and thinking, "Am I a bad mother for not having him in therapy?"

I do think the root of this problem is mental health and that gun control is a secondary issue; I personally think owning a gun should be like driving a car; you go to classes and you take a test before you get a license. Yes, you can own one, but you need to show that you can be responsible with it. BUT I don't think that would completely solve this problem that these young people are not getting the help that they need when they need it. And the question is: how do we make that happen?
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    I've talked about my uncle with paranoid schizophrenia here and I can't imagine ANY of my family members allowing guns in a house with him. That being said, all we know is that the brother said he has autism and emotional problems, right? He could be anywhere on the spectrum, and emotional problems could mean about anything(?) Maybe I missed something.
    I wasn't implying that the shooter has schizophrenia--just using that as an example. I don't know enough about the autism spectrum to comment intelligently about it--in my mind I don't really associate it with the kind of planned attack the shooter carried out...but again, I don't really know. I feel so sorry for the parents of those kids. I can't even begin to imagine.

Yeah, I was more commenting than arguing
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

If what is being said about the murderer is true, that he was mentally disturbed (according to his brother he was mentally disturbed), then there should not have been at least three guns in that home. I'm sorry but that's the truth.

The common denominator in gun killings is the guns. You can't pinpoint who's going to use them - plenty of "mentally unbalanced" people go thru life and never kill anyone. You CAN take guns out of people's hands though - how else are you going to do it? Reading about a mass killing once a month, and murder/suicides from professional athletes is way past getting old.
    Sarzy, HWBL, faithanne and 4 others like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    The common denominator in gun killings is the guns. You can't pinpoint who's going to use them - plenty of "mentally unbalanced" people go thru life and never kill anyone. You CAN take guns out of people's hands though - how else are you going to do it? Reading about a mass killing once a month, and murder/suicides from professional athletes is way past getting old.
    Oh, I agree. I was just saying as long as guns are legal, the person who purchases them and brings them into their home should have some responsibility. This is a case where the mother legally purchased these guns and brought them into a home with her son, who seems to have been known to have mental problems. I hate guns. Can't stand them.
    Brookie likes this.

This has just devastated me. KINDERGARTNERS???!!! Thats murdering pure innocence. Its genuine evil. I am heartbroken over this. Why do these whackjobs take innocent people with them? What is wrong with this world? So sad........I just keep imagining the terror these little babies must have felt. Couldn't eat or sleep over it.
    mfox758 likes this.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Screw the Media for interviewing children (students) and their parents at the school. Screw them for presenting wrong information as facts which could have gotten Ryan Lanza hurt. I'm just so sick of the irresponsibility and sensationalism. Is "the story" more important than the welfare of people? I heard that the Father of Adam and Ryan actually found out about everything from a reporter who was outside his house waiting for him to get home. Ugh..

And WTF is with the name Sandy this year?
    cherrypye, mfox758 and shedevilang like this.

Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread Information