Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Congresswoman Shot in Head in Arizona

So tragic.

On a side note, I don't want to get involved, but I get the feeling that some people are directing their understandably strong emotional reactions at the wrong person, on this board and in the media. That's all I'm going to say about that.

My condolences to the families of the victims.

Meet Daniel Hernandez, the intern who likely saved Gabrielle Giffords’ life

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thetic...-giffords-life

Daniel Hernandez had only been Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' intern for five days, and on Saturday, he may have saved her life.

The University of Arizona junior was standing 30 feet away from the Democratic congresswoman when she was shot in the head at a meet-and-greet event in her district, and he immediately rushed to her side. As everyone on hand waited for emergency medical support to arrive, Hernandez held Giffords's head in his lap and applied pressure to her wound.

At the same time, Hernandez advised others on providing help for the other 20 others injured and killed in the attack—and that quick thinking has led many to label him a hero in Saturday's horrific event.

"When I heard gunshots, my first instinct was to head toward the congresswoman to make sure that she was okay," Hernandez said in an interview with ABC's Christine Amanpour Sunday. "Once I saw that she was down, and there were more than one victim, I went ahead and started doing the limited triage that I could with what I had."

Hernandez, who is 20, told ABC that he simply "shut off all emotion." "I knew I wouldn't be good to anyone if I had a breakdown," he recalled. He noted that he went to help because he had "limited experience in triage and training."

He lifted up Giffords' head, because he feared she might choke on her own blood, and used smocks from the grocery store's meat department as a makeshift bandages for her and other victims.

Giffords, he says, was alert, but couldn't talk.

"'Just grab my hand to let me know that you're okay,'" he recalls telling the injured lawmaker.

According to Hernandez, she squeezed his hand, and he didn't let go, riding with her in the ambulance to the hospital, where she was rushed into emergency surgery.

"It was probably not the best idea to run toward the gunshots," he told the Arizona Republic. "But people needed help."

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

im hoping for an amazing recovery on her part, awards for him and some kind of tribute like a scholarship and/or statue commemorating the victims, especially the little child

SVZ

let's not forget the federal judge that got killed...

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by memebot View Post
    So tragic.

On a side note, I don't want to get involved, but I get the feeling that some people are directing their understandably strong emotional reactions at the wrong person, on this board and in the media. That's all I'm going to say about that.
    Um, well, a very public and incendiary figure putting the face of this Congresswoman in crosshairs on their Facebook page, might lead to that kind of strong reaction. I don't think Palin cares. She reminds me of that Repub Congressional Aide who celebrated when Paul Wellstone died in a plane crash.

If Palin doesn't want to have her intentions mistaken, perhaps she should cool her Reload rhetoric. But I don't think she cares at all, or she thinks it's funny.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Yeah, fuck rationality.

Nothing rational about teabaggers.

Quote Originally Posted by memebot View Post
    I get the feeling that some people are directing their understandably strong emotional reactions at the wrong person, on this board and in the media.
    I disagree. The "wrong" person stands up there on her podium smirking while feeding wild hatred, the atmosphere of fear and distrust fuels first fringe elements then mainstream and someone mental has a target seemingly approved by society. These people can't then pull back and say "Oopsie, we didn't mean it literally!". The gun/target/crosshairs imagery and rhetoric was everywhere until yesterday when a sudden rewriting of history happened and websites quickly got scrubbed. This on the website of the guy who ran against Congresswoman Gifford was taken down fast, the image was replaced with a friendlier smiling picture of him in a polo tee and then removed entirely:

You don't think Palin's people chose this symbol at random? Why not a dot, a star, an x?

This shit all over tea party rallies that she would just smile and wink at.

.Implied threats of violence that had people concerned.

"The NAACP is urging leadership and members of the Tea Party movement to take additional steps to distance themselves from those Tea Party leaders "who espouse racist ideas, advocate violence, or are formally affiliated with white supremacist organizations.""

and did they? no.

"Some Tea Party leaders condemned the report, accusing the NAACP of abandoning its civil rights mission and of becoming a mouthpiece of the liberal left."Source

Sarah Palin, Tea Party Leaders, Must Condemn Healthcare Threats March 25, 2010

And now she's claiming that they weren't crosshairs at all. They were "surveyor's marks".
    All the people feeding the hate have some responsibility for this. The Palins, the Becks etc. They didn't make him crazy, they didn't pull the trigger yet they still had a part in this. They chose the targets for him.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    let's not forget the federal judge that got killed...
    so that means this kid will get the chair right?!

and yes i hope for a speedy recovery for all of those shot.

you know Bill Maher made a good point once how most these teabaggers are not well-off individuals financially and yet they support all this tax cutting for the super rich, its one of the wtf beliefs of their ideology.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post

you know Bill Maher made a good point once how most these teabaggers are not well-off individuals financially and yet they support all this tax cutting for the super rich, its one of the wtf beliefs of their ideology.
    It's just like the hardscrabble, starving, white farmers of the South who supported the rights of the super-rich to own slaves. Their need to hate someone they deem inferior, tainted, is stronger than their self preservation. As long as they aren't black, they might be a rich land owner with their own slaves someday.

Frankly, they haven't a clue how wealth operates. They think all it takes is identity.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    so that means this kid will get the chair right?!
    He'll likely be charged with capital murder. If convicted in Arizona state court and sentenced to death, he'll get lethal injection.

Where does it say that this guy was a teapartier? Palin supporter? Westboro Baptist?

All I have heard so far is that he is off his fucking nut.

No one yet knows what his hatred is, but all that murderous rhetoric is not ok ever. It's not that anyone is saying that Palin or Beck or any of the other lying fear and murder mongers physically put the gun in his hand, but why are you so willing to give their brand of evil a pass? If for months and years on end all they've said is that the democrats are evil, ruining the country, fascists, nazis, unAmerican, ad nauseum, what IS the natural conclusion of those words? What is the logical intent of singling out 20 congressional districts with (in Palin's words) bullseyes and rifle scopes and repeatedly telling her believers to re-load. Or the lovely "second amendment remedies" from Sharon Angle?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Post Arizona Shooter Allegedly Tied To White Supremacist Group

Jared Lee Loughner Allegedly Tied To Hate Groups | News One

Arizona — Jared Lee Loughner, the alleged shooter of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and others on Saturday, may have ties to anti-Semitic, anti-immigration hate group American Renaissance, according to a leaked memo from the Department of Homeland Security.

It’s unclear whether Loughner maintains a direct connection to the group, however, “strong suspicion is being directed” at American Renaissance in the wake of the group being referenced in Loughner’s Myspace and YouTube videos, according to the memo, which was obtained by Fox News.

American Renaissance is a white nationalist group that operates under a pseudo think tank called the New Century Foundation. The group runs a magazine and conferences based on eugenics and the superiority of whites, according to Southern Poverty Law Center.

As of yet, there's been nothing found to indicate that the shooter was a Republican, nevermind a Tea Partier, nevermind a Palin supporter or that he was even aware of Sarah Palin.

According to the Net presence the shooter left behind, the only thing clues we have so far about him is that he listed The Communist Manifesto as a favorite book, had a weird obsession about literacy and was a pot advocate. Aside from that, his ramblings were pretty nonsensical. Oh, and a friend quoted in the press said the dude was anti-religion.

Nobody has found anything on the guy's web presence indicating he was involved or aware of politics, aside from some simplistic high school level pseudo-Communist stuff about capitalism being evil. Because the federal judge killed had been involved in some immigration cases, people at first thought that might be a motive, but the guy apparently never mentioned immigration. The only issue he apparently got fired up about and ranted at long on was literacy, of all things.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

FFS, I'm not giving a pass to anyone. Nor am I trying to use the same rhetoric that they (Palin, Beck, etc.) use to place blame for something that was done by a person who was clearly unhinged. Don't make me out to be some fucking apologist here.

I'm done.

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread Information