Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Congresswoman Shot in Head in Arizona

Am I the only one who is hoping he will still command the shuttle mission?

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/08/ga...-command-last/

Giffords' Astronaut Husband to Command Last Shuttle FlightJan 8, 2011 – 7:44 PM

Critically wounded congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords is married to a man who's even more of a high flier than she is. Mark Kelly is one of NASA's most prominent astronauts and is assigned to command the last scheduled flight of the space shuttle.

Kelly, 46, has flown on the shuttle three times since joining NASA in 1996. He now has the job of commander of shuttle Endeavour as it delivers a multi-million-dollar physics experiment to the International Space Station. The mission, tentatively scheduled for April, promises to be one of the most heavily scrutinized and high-profile shuttle flights in history, because it's the final flight on the books before the shuttle fleet is retired.

Giffords was shot and critically wounded while meeting with constituents Saturday at a Tucson, Ariz., shopping center. Six other people, includng a judge and a 9-year-old girl, were killed.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to Congresswoman Giffords, her husband Mark Kelly, their family, and the families and friends of all who perished or were injured in this terrible tragedy," NASA administrator Charles Bolden said in a statement.

An astronaut's training so close to launch is all-consuming. A shuttle crew a few months from liftoff spends multiple hours in flight simulators and rehearsing their duties in orbit, squeezing time away from work to nearly zero. Combining that schedule with a family tragedy is likely to impose huge pressure on Kelly if he decides to continue with his command of Endeavour's mission.

Kelly is also distinctive as half of the first pair of blood relatives to be in the astronaut corps at the same time. His twin brother, Scott, is currently commander of the space station -- meaning he's living nearly 200 miles above the Earth and unable to be with his brother. Scott Kelly is slated to return to Earth in March.

The Kelly twins grew up in New Jersey, the sons of a police officer, before becoming Navy test pilots.

Mark Kelly's previous marriage ended in divorce. He began dating Giffords well before she was elected to Congress. When he was orbiting in the space shuttle Discovery in 2006, Giffords chose U2s "Beautiful Day" to inspire him as he woke every day. The couple married in 2007.

Kelly has two daughters from his previous marriage.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I think if she contiunes to improve he will go. I think she will want and expect him to go.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Default What's Really Going On With Gabby Giffords?

What's Really Going On With Gabby Giffords? - Yahoo! News

NEW YORK – Three months after the Arizona attack that left Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in a coma, she is walking, talking, and wants to attend her husband’s space shuttle launch. But will she ever fully recover? In this week’s Newsweek, Peter J. Boyer has the untold story of the congresswoman’s struggle.
    Reports on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords’ recovery have been so positive that there’s even been talk of her running for Senate. But in conversations with Giffords’ staff, doctors, and husband Mark Kelly, Peter J. Boyer has learned that for all the progress Giffords has made, she still has a long way to go.

Since Giffords was shot Jan. 8, at an event at a Tucson mall, her family and staff, colleagues and friends have been eager to deliver stunning details about her recovery. The first big news was delivered by the president himself at a memorial service: “Gabby opened her eyes for the first time.” Dr. Peter Rhee, a trauma surgeon in Tucson, said she had a “101 percent chance of surviving” before transferring Giffords to Memorial Hermann hospital in Houston, where her new neurosurgeon said she “looked spectacular.” Giffords’ friends and staffers, optimistic about her recovery, have contributed to the perception that she’ll soon be completely better. Daniel Hernandez, the intern who rushed to her side during the shooting, said he’d had several “lengthy” conversations with his boss, and Rep. Shelley Berkley of Nevada said Giffords is “running a campaign from the hospital.”

Dr. Gerard Francisco, the physiatrist in charge of Giffords’ medical team, says he is quite pleased with his patient’s progress, although he acknowledges that outsiders, especially the media, might be misinterpreting what that might be in this situation. “Some people will expect changes to be big,” says Francisco. “I’m happy with small changes, as long as I see these changes every day.” Francisco says he aims for an optimized “new normal” for each patient. Music therapist Meagan Morrow, who is working with Giffords, seconds Francisco’s perspective: “After you have a brain injury, you are a different person. It doesn’t matter who you are.”

Giffords still doesn’t know the details of the shooting—though she now knows she was shot. Initially she thought she had been in a car accident, but as her husband read her his newspaper, she noticed he was skipping stories and tried to grab the paper from his hands. He decided then to tell her what had happened. But she still doesn’t know some parts of the story, like that among the dead were a 9-year-old girl, her beloved young staffer Gabe Zimmerman, and her friend Judge John Roll. “When she starts asking for more details, we’re going to tell her,” says Kelly. Giffords’ chief of staff, Pia Carusone, points out that Giffords isn’t able to speak at the level she wants yet, so “telling her something as tragic as this, without her being to formulate the exact, complex followup questions she wants to, is not fair.”

Still, Giffords is improving. Carusone says her personality is “100 percent there.” And Kelly doesn’t think Giffords will have to settle for a new normal. “I was gone for three days down in Florida for terminal countdown tests. I was away for three nights. And I could notice a change, and an improvement, in her ability to communicate.” That said, he warns that recovery and a public appearance is “months—not weeks—away.”

In the meantime, Arizona politics is gridlocked. Reports of Giffords’ imminent recovery have kept Democrats from entering a race for the Senate seat recently opened by Sen. Jon Kyl, while potential Republican opponents aren’t sure how to go about campaigning. Kelly says such talk is premature. “We haven’t discussed any Senate race with her,” he says. “And I have no plans to do that for some time. She’s focused on her recovery.” But when the time comes, he says, “I’m going to want for her what she wants for her, and I know she’s going to set the bar pretty high.”

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

I don't think its anyone's business the degree of her recovery; however I know everyone probably is hoping for a miracle and the best, so I'm still sending good vibes her way,

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Francisco says he aims for an optimized “new normal” for each patient.
    so is that just a really nice way of saying she's gonna be a tard?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I think people are going to be shocked by how impaired she is when she finally makes a public appearance.

Gabrielle Giffords: Newspaper says Gabrielle Giffords struggling to communicate - latimes.com

Report: Gabrielle Giffords struggling to communicate; return to Congress uncertain

By James Oliphant

Washington Bureau

9:17 AM PDT, June 9, 2011

Gabrielle Giffords is nowhere close to returning to Congress. And there remains real doubt about whether she ever will.

That appears to be the bottom line of an article Thursday in the Arizona Republic that provides the most complete assessment yet of the wounded congresswoman’s current condition. Giffords was shot in the head by a gunman in Tucson in January. Now, six months later, she still struggles mightily to communicate, although her staff believes her comprehension skills are strong. And it remains unclear just how much damage her brain has suffered.

Asked for a blunt description of Giffords’ condition, her chief of staff, Pia Carusone, replied: "She's living. She's alive. But if she were to plateau today, and this was as far as she gets, it would not be nearly the quality of life she had before."

As to whether she resembles herself before the shooting, Carusone said, “There's no comparison. All that we can hope for is that she won't plateau today and that she'll keep going, and that when she does plateau, it will be at a place far away from here."

The news may be sobering, but it's not necessarily a surprise. The state of Giffords' health has been closely guarded information as early, hopeful accounts of her rapid physical and motor recovery yielded to more cautious -- and less frequent -- reports. She remains at a Houston rehabilitation facility while her staff manages her day-to-day congressional business.

Although her two trips to Florida to witness the launch of her husband’s space shuttle mission were hailed as significant milestones, she was kept from the public. No photo of her after the shooting has yet been released, but Carusone said that day is coming.

"This is a one-step-at-a-time process," she told the Republic. "It has been a difficult and busy time with everything. Every week, there is something new. I think that we're getting close to the time when Gabby will feel comfortable releasing a photo. Then, we go from there."

Carusone stressed that Giffords remains in the middle of a long path toward recovery, and that doctors aren’t close to being ready to assess the kind of life she will ultimately live. As far as her political career goes, the only deadline her staff is keeping in mind is May 2012, when she would have to file for reelection if that is her plan.

"That's a firm timetable. Short of that, we'd love to know today what her life will be, what her quality of life will be, which will determine whether she'll be able to run for office and all sorts of other things involving her life,” Carusone said. “But we just don't know yet. . . .”

In the initial months after the shooting, as optimistic reports of Giffords’ recovery continued to surface, speculation arose that the moderate Democrat might make a run for the open U.S. Senate seat that will be vacated by the retiring Republican Jon Kyl. But the latest news would seem to place the likelihood of such a bid outside the realm of possibility -- at least for now.

Head wounds are the worst. This will take a lot of time. I read one book of a doctor that did recover from a massive stroke, but that took 7 years.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

I hope they kill that son-of-a-bitch who did all this, don't forget a little girl was killed among other people just going about their day, ugh

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Giffords still doesn’t know the details of the shooting—though she now knows she was shot. Initially she thought she had been in a car accident, but as her husband read her his newspaper, she noticed he was skipping stories and tried to grab the paper from his hands. He decided then to tell her what had happened. But she still doesn’t know some parts of the story, like that among the dead were a 9-year-old girl, her beloved young staffer Gabe Zimmerman, and her friend Judge John Roll. “When she starts asking for more details, we’re going to tell her,” says Kelly. Giffords’ chief of staff, Pia Carusone, points out that Giffords isn’t able to speak at the level she wants yet, so “telling her something as tragic as this, without her being to formulate the exact, complex followup questions she wants to, is not fair.”
    JFC, I can't even begin to imagine what it would feel like to go back and read this.
    Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Default First photos of Gabrielle Giffords released

First photos of Gabrielle Giffords released

(06-12) 04:37 PDT PHOENIX, (AP) --

Two photos of a smiling Rep. Gabrielle Giffords were released early Sunday by her office, her hair shorn short but few other telling signs of her gunshot wound to the head.

The Facebook photos, the first clear snapshots of Giffords since the shooting five months ago, showed how far she has come since a gunman shot her in the left side of her forehead during a constituent meet-and-greet in a Safeway parking lot in Tucson.

But her spokeswoman, Pia Carusone, has cautioned that Giffords still has a long way to go in her recovery.

The photos show the congresswoman outside. She smiled directly into the camera in one, while she sat next to a woman in the other while smiling downward.

Giffords has been in a Houston rehab facility since two weeks after the Jan. 8 shooting. Six people were killed and 13 were injured, including Giffords.

Carusone said Friday that Giffords could be released sometime this month.

She said doctors and family are considering "many factors" while making the critical next-step decision to release Giffords from TIRR Memorial Hermann, the hospital where she has been undergoing intensive daily rehabilitation since late January.

"We're looking at before the end of the month. We're looking at early July," Carusone said. "We don't have a date."

But in an interview published this week in the Arizona Republic, Carusone made clear that Giffords remains a shadow of her former self as she has difficulty stringing together sentences and relies heavily on gestures and facial expressions to communicate. She also faces some difficulty in expressing bigger, more complex thoughts, Carusone said.

While Giffords' release from the hospital after five months of intensive inpatient therapy will mark an important step in her recovery, she still must undergo months of outpatient rehabilitation that will include speech, occupational and physical therapy.

Since the shooting, the only time the public has gotten a glimpse of Giffords was April 27 as she boarded a plane to Florida to watch astronaut husband Mark Kelly launch into space. The grainy footage, taken from afar, showed Giffords slowly but purposefully walk up the airplane's stairs.

The newly released photos provide a much clearer image.

Last month as Kelly was orbiting Earth, doctors repaired Giffords' skull, finally freeing her from wearing a cumbersome protective helmet that her staff members say she hated.

Since the shooting, Giffords has made remarkable strides, requesting her favorite foods, singing her favorite songs, and relearning how to walk and talk, although she struggles to string sentences together.

In an interview with The Arizona Republic published Thursday, Giffords' Chief of Staff Pia Carusone said Giffords' limited speaking ability has led her to rely primarily on facial expressions and hand gestures to communicate.

"She is borrowing upon other ways of communicating. Her words are back more and more now, but she's still using facial expressions as a way to express. Pointing. Gesturing," Carusone said. "Add it all together and she's able to express the basics of what she wants or needs. But, when it comes to a bigger and more complex thought that requires words, that's where she's had the trouble."

Carusone also said that if Giffords' recovery were to plateau now, "it would not be nearly the quality of life she had before."

"All that we can hope for is that she won't plateau today and that she'll keep going and that when she does plateau, it will be at a place far away from here," she said.

Jared Lee Loughner, 22, has pleaded not guilty to charges stemming from the shooting and is being held at a Missouri facility. A judge declared him incompetent to stand trial, but prosecutors hope his competency can be restored so he can answer for the charges.

So happy for them. She looks fabulous. Continued success in her health; it sounds like it's going to be a long road back.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Elite Member

I am so happy that it looks like her personality and spirit are intact. And based on some of the reports, it sounds as though her understanding and intellect are good, too, just not her ability to speak. I pray that she keeps making improvement in speaking and writing.

She may very well be suffering from a form of aphasia.
    She looks good, but almost like a totally different person.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

First photos of Gabrielle Giffords released

(06-12) 04:37 PDT PHOENIX, (AP) --

Two photos of a smiling Rep. Gabrielle Giffords were released early Sunday by her office, her hair shorn short but few other telling signs of her gunshot wound to the head.
    Like the big divot on her left temple.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Thread Information