Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Congresswoman Shot in Head in Arizona

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    I observed a few of those protests and saw none of the violence you speak of.

The only person I ever talked to directly who mentioned killing Bush was a very bitter Iraqi. Somehow, he might be entitled to that opinion, donchathink?

OTOH, the most forgiving and awesomely aware person I met in discussions about the invasion was Iraqi. Go figure.

I've watched protests against the WTO where people were yelling and chanting. Scuffles with police were pro forma, but nobody was using crosshair or reload or destructive rhetoric.

I never saw a "Kill Bush" tee shirt, even in Europe where it wouldn't mean much. Most people seemed to know that would solve nothing.

The NRA had it's last convention close to where I live now. Do I have to tell you the kinds of tee shirts, hats and bumperstickers displayed there or can you guess? Oh yes, the biggest booth close to the entrance, with the largest US flags was all about Palin.

Bullshit. Another case of false equivalence also known as a Straw Man - show me an exact mirror of this situation or you are simply full of shit. Where has a Dem ever rejoiced at the death of a Repub the way Paul Wellstone's death was celebrated?

Again, a random bullet is not an assassination attempt. Your credibility is circling the drain.

I can't believe you seriously posted this. You never saw any incidents encouraging violence about Bush? Except for ONE Iraqi? No tee shirts?

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=29824

I'm not talking about Iraq or anywhere else in the world. I'm talking about North America.

Good lord, all you have to do is look for it on google.

There's more here.

Media Didn't Care About Protest Signs Threatening Bush | NewsBusters.org

I'm not sure what to say about someone saying that there were no death threats against Bush except for some Iraqis. I saw them everywhere.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I thought everyone in Arizona already had a gun. or two. or seven.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

1) That's cafepress. Any freak can make a shirt and sell it.

2) the rest of those signs are made by fucking anarchists, not liberals.

3) Bush still killed 100,000 people.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    1) That's cafepress. Any freak can make a shirt and sell it.

2) the rest of those signs are made by fucking anarchists, not liberals.

3) Bush still killed 100,000 people.

Ah, that's a good distinction. But I certainly wouldn't say that the only person who has talked about killing Bush was this one Iraqi guy and a few anarchists. I know plenty of liberals. I live in NYC. And I've heard a lot of violent talk when it comes to "getting rid of Bush." Especially after he was elected the second time. To say otherwise is *disingenuous.* It just surprises me that anyone would claim otherwise.

However I will say that there seems to be a sort of organized movement condoning violence on the Tea Party side. Not that everyone is trying to cause violence but sort of a shrugging of the shoulders when it does happen. I have never ever seen that on the liberal side of things. So I do see a difference.

See, here's the thing:

When you kill 100,000 people you sort of earn whatever emnity comes your way.

Palin and her stupid ilk want to kill people for absolutely no reason, other than they simply disagree with them.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    See, here's the thing:

When you kill 100,000 people you sort of earn whatever emnity comes your way.

Palin and her stupid ilk want to kill people for absolutely no reason, other than they simply disagree with them.

That's why she scares me so much.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by gristledonna View Post
    I can't believe you seriously posted this. You never saw any incidents encouraging violence about Bush? Except for ONE Iraqi? No tee shirts?
    Nope, not one. Never at an environmental protest or a WTO. Their issues were larger than Bush and directed differently, granted.

Ever been to a DC protest? Tightly controlled and anyone acting out or deemed slightly dangerous is quickly swarmed by the cops. Hundreds of peaceful protesters are carted off to RFK stadium for the slightest suspicion of harmful intentions like a threatening sign.

As far as Anti-Bush slogans and dogma, yes at the beginning of the Iraqi invasion during the war protests, it was there generically and specifically, and dealt mainly with impeachment.

Never was there a message that violence was imminent against Bush or any Repub, that they were living in the crosshairs of a movement ready to use violence.

The most acrimonious protest I ever saw, which wasn't so controlled, was an anti-abortion crowd. Talk about some really awful tee shirts, the violent message was fully explicit there (and we have dead doctors, nurses and patients to show for it.) They loudly confronted people on the street which would have been considered dangerous activity for war protesters. No police with shields and robocop armour were at that one.

The Iraqi wasn't protesting, BTW. It was a casual conversation in 2004, and the only one I ever had where someone directly said Bush should be assassinated, without a hint of irony or sarcasm. My response was I wished that simple solution would solve the problem. If the US public could except one dumbass elected under suspicious circumstances, there are thousands ready to take his place.
    Last edited by olivia; January 12th, 2011 at 04:59 PM.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

A little summary of threats and property destruction against democrats over the past couple of years:

• Rep. Tom Perriello's (D-VA) brother's address was erroneously posted online by a Tea Party blogger who invited activists to descend on the house. A gas line outside the brother's house was cut.
    • Rep. Bart Stupak (D-MI) was the target of threatening faxes and phone calls, including death threats.
    • A brick was thrown through the window of the Democratic Party office in Rochester, New York.
    • Rep. Anthony Weiner's office in Kew Gardens, New York, had to be evacuated after suspicious white powder was found in an envelope mailed to the office.
    • A thrown brick smashed a window at Rep. Louise Slaughter's district office in Niagara Falls, New York.
    • Slaughter also received a message claiming that "snipers were being deployed to kill those members who voted yes for health care," according to Politico.
    • The FBI arrested a California man for making threatening phone calls to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
    • A tossed brick demolished a window at the Sedgwick County Democratic Party headquarters in Wichita, Kansas.
    • A devoted Glenn Beck fan left a serious of death threats (“Kill the fucking Senator! “) on the voice mail at the office of Sen. Patty Murray

aha, I see the circle jerk is still going..
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

A great tweet from earlier in the day:

flipflops

So Palin & crew are feeling unjustly blamed for the actions of an extremist. Maybe they can ask Muslims for advice on how to deal w/ that. 9:45 AM Jan 11th via web
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Default Sarah Palin proves -- again -- that she is a terrible politician

PostPartisan - Sarah Palin proves -- again -- that she is a terrible politician

Sarah Palin didn't retreat. She reloaded. And she proved, again, that she is a ruinously incompetent politician.

Over the weekend, liberal pundits overeagerly speculated that she may have inspired the shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.). After learning more about alleged shooter Jared Loughner, many of those same commentators restrained their criticism of the former Alaska governor, and polls showed that Americans are skeptical of any connection. People recognized Palin had been unfairly implicated in the Arizona massacre. She didn't even have to mention it in her response to the tragedy and the resulting debate. Everyone would have been thinking it. Even her critics would have had some sympathy.

This was political T-ball. All she needed to do was acknowledge the tragedy, condemn violence and praise unity in times of national crisis. If she really had to, she could gently warn Americans not to let partisanship color their reactions to public tragedy. She would be praised for her restraint, and with reason; for once, she would have been the more adult party in the debate.

Instead, she decided to appear partisan and opportunistic. As Greg Sargent notes, she accused her enemies of acting in bad faith. Not only that, she, somehow, raised the rhetorical stakes by charging her opponents with manufacturing a "blood libel," language associated with centuries of anti-Semitic murder. I bet she didn't know the historical genesis of the phrase. Which merely makes her recklessly careless in a time of national mourning. And she rejected any notion that her overheated rhetoric was ever overheated -- by using yet more overheated rhetoric about her opponents, who "mock" America by "muzzling" her First Amendment rights. Most of America is willing to let you say what you want, Ms. Palin, but we don't have to like it.

Any sympathy she built up outside of the 30 percent of the country automatically loyal to her disappeared. She looked vindictive, lacking the maturity to restrain the nastiness and innuendo that typically punctuates her rhetoric.

Her divisive words overshadowed the elevated ones of her fellow Republicans, such as House Speaker John Boehner, on Wednesday. And now President Obama, who will speak Wednesday night, is the one with the opportunity -- to abjure the grotesque language Palin and others have used since the Giffords shooting and renounce the manufacture of controversy. I expect the president will do what Palin wouldn't: deliver a message appropriate to the tragedy.
    This is how you beat Obama in 2012?

Palin's video comes after a long and consequential string of political mistakes: resigning the governorship of Alaska; massively overexposing herself on Fox, Facebook, a book tour and a TLC show about clubbing halibut; and endorsing candidates in 2009 and 2010 who were far too right-wing to win general elections.

Evaluating politicians' political skills can be tricky; you don't want to lose sight of the intrinsic quality of their work, not just how well they spin it. But in Palin's case, the characteristics that make her an ineffective politician are often the same ones that make her deficient on substance. Her anti-intellectual swagger. Her manipulative use of implication and overstatement. Her unyielding sense of victimhood. All habits that she cultivates to a fault.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Most of America is willing to let you say what you want, Ms. Palin, but we don't have to like it.

This is something I think a lot of people have a hard time understanding. Then they accuse people of picking on them or starting crap. I think Palin seriously feels that people who disagree with her do so just "because" because she's a woman, or she's a bull dog in lipstick or whatever her next excuse is. She doesn't seem to really get how offensive she is. I think the article is spot on. If she had kept her mouth shut it would have shown that she took the situation seriously and I do think people would have come around to realizing she was unfairly blamed. But before the parents have even buried their child she's in the media mud yet again groveling around like the pig she is. Grrrr

What was that about the tea party not being violent?

Just hours after 22-year-old gunman Jared Loughner launched a shooting spree at a Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) constituent event in Tucson on Saturday that left six dead and 14 wounded, Legislative District chairman Anthony Miller, a Republican, announced that he would resign his position. In an email to the state’s GOP chair, Miller cited “constant verbal attacks” after his election last year “and Internet blog posts by some local members with Tea Party ties made him worry about his family’s safety.” Many of his Republican colleagues followed him out the door:

In an e-mail sent a few hours after Saturday’s massacre in Tucson that killed six and injured 13, including U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, Miller told state Republican Party Chairman Randy Pullen he was quitting: “Today my wife of 20 yrs ask (sic) me do I think that my PCs (Precinct Committee members) will shoot at our home? So with this being said I am stepping down from LD20GOP Chairman…I will make a full statement on Monday.” [...]

The newly-elected Dist. 20 Republican secretary, Sophia Johnson of Ahwatukee, first vice chairman Roger Dickinson of Tempe and Jeff Kolb, the former district spokesman from Ahwatukee, also quit. “This singular focus on ‘getting’ Anthony (Miller) was one of the main reasons I chose to resign,” Kolb said in an e-mail to another party activist. Kolb confirmed the contents of the e-mail to the Republic.

Miller had been on the receiving end of attacks from the GOP’s right-wing activists, particularly because he had worked for Sen. John McCain’s Senate reelection campaign last year against Tea Party favorite J.D. Hayworth:

[A] series of accusatory e-mails was exchanged among party members. Some blasted Miller’s support of McCain, called him a “McCainiac with a penchant for violating the rules” and a “McCain hack.” [...]

Miller said when he was a member of McCain’s campaign staff last year has been criticized by the more conservative party members who supported Republican opponent J.D. Hayworth. The first and only African-American to hold the party’s precinct chairmanship, Miller said he has been called “McCain’s boy,” and during the campaign saw a critic form his hand in the shape of a gun and point it at him.

“I wasn’t going to resign but decided to quit after what happened Saturday,” Miller said. “I love the Republican Party but I don’t want to take a bullet for anyone.” Meanwhile, AZ GOP state senator Lori Klein brought a gun with her to the state Capitol this week. “I pack,” she said. “Our safety is our personal responsibility.” (HT: Balloon Juice)

ThinkProgress » AZ Republicans Resign After Giffords Shooting, Citing Threats From Local Tea Partiers
    I don't feel sorry for the GOP, they created and fund these monsters

Elite Member

No, no, those Repubs don't play up to the most violent aspects of our culture, nope, not at all...

"Rep. Joe Wilson's (R-S.C.) health care-era "you lie" interruption of President Obama is now reportedly being commemorated with a place on a new, limited edition line of assault rifle components"

Free Times: This Just In
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Thread Information