Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Congresswoman Shot in Head in Arizona

Joining the hallelujah chorus. You cannot go around preaching hate while hiding behind politics and not believe you will inspire the insane.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    How unsurprising that some are using this tragedy to push their political agenda. This act was the work of one man, yet some are trying to further their political agenda by assigning the blame to Palin & The Tea Party. Unless they ordered a direct hit on Ms. Giffords, I fail to see how they hold any responsibility for this act.

Also, if the shooter is legitimately insane, as it sounds like he is, there is no way he can be given life in prison or the death penalty for this act, right? The way it works is that he is committed to a mental institution?
    it's called "fostering a hateful environment"

Read up on it.

Don't be obtuse, it's a waste of every one's time.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Silver Member

Of course the apologists are coming out to make sure they're hands are clean and their conscience clear.

http://webkit.dailykos.com/stories/2...shootings.html

Hit By Ban Bus!

theblogprof: Good grief. Bill Clinton who pardoned terrorists draws parallels between tea party movement and Oklahoma City bombing

Sarah Palin didn't even come up with the idea herself.

She stole it from the DEMS.

And have we all forgotten the calls for Bush's death? Just google it, there are thousands of images of protestors calling for Bush's death, how is using a theme (Palin and the gun sights) she recycled from the Democrats, comparable to burning effigies, or protest signs that call for the death of a man?

I cannot stand the politicising of this tragedy, there has yet to be any kind of indication that Sarah palin influenced this man at all. Also, the Giffords comments on Sarah Palin's graphics came back in March. I notice Giffords did not denounce the Democrat party line toers who viciously went after Bush with so much gusto. Nor did she mention how Obama encouraged his fans on the campaign trail to GET ANGRY.

It is all political rhetoric, and this tragedy was about a sick demented mind, not politics.

Gold Member

I'm sorry, but where is the evidence that the killer was a follower of Palin, Limbaugh, Beck or the Tea Party? I have not heard of any connection whatsoever. In fact, I read one article where a former classmate indicated that the killer was quite liberal.

The fact is - there is no evidence that the killer was inspired by the so-called "hateful" words of Palin, etc. to commit the act. The insinuation is clearly being pushed by ultra-liberals to further their anti-Palin/Tea Party agenda.

Elite Member

^^

Well, this sums it up very nicely.

I guess I would ask, where is the line? When "politicians" (although it seems to me to more the publicity whores) push and push and push violent rhetoric, insane and unsubstantiated theories and use highly emotionally charged words like communist, nazi, enemy, reload, etc. when would they bear some responsibility to acknowledge that their words can have an effect on the listeners? Yes, this young man seems terribly disturbed and criminally insane, but isn't it possible that because of such violent imagery in every day media communications that someone who is already severely unbalanced might think that his inclination towards violence would be accepted in society? Perhaps even applauded by some?

No one is looking to let this man excuse his way out of responsibility for his own actions. However, I'm not willing to let the Palins, Becks and Limbaughs of the world excuse themselves from gassing the flames and then being shocked that what they've espoused has come to fruition.

No, it's being pushed by REGULAR FUCKING PEOPLE who have seen wtf has happened over the last decade.

Are you seriously denying the increase in violent language in politics or are you just being willfully ignorant?

Maybe if i scribble the words "affirmative action" on it, it'll get your attention.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I'm sorry, but where is the evidence that the killer was a follower of Palin, Limbaugh, Beck or the Tea Party? I have not heard of any connection whatsoever. In fact, I read one article where a former classmate indicated that the killer was quite liberal.

The fact is - there is no evidence that the killer was inspired by the so-called "hateful" words of Palin, etc. to commit the act. The insinuation is clearly being pushed by ultra-liberals to further their anti-Palin/Tea Party agenda.
    The fact (to me) is the IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER if there's a direct connection or not or hell, even any connection. This man will be adjudicated based on his actions. Palin's unapologetic "so-called hateful words" are out there, repeatedly so, ad nauseumly so. Her entire persona is designed to influence people. She doesn't have any actions because she doesn't do anything, all she has is her words to influence people. Either she totally and absolutely sucks at her persona (not ruling that out) or she is getting her intended result. Otherwise, what is her point? Purpose? Goal?

There's no insinuation by the way. She had her scoped map on her PAC page and her Facebook page. She specifically listed this particular congresswoman. People are asking the question of whether or not there is a connection. Uber-liberal my ass, EVERYONE is asking the same question.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Lightbulb Insanity Defense Won't Work for Loughner

Insanity Defense Won't Work for Loughner - The Daily Beast

A history of mental instability and crazed Internet ramblings suggest Jared Lee Loughner, the alleged Arizona shooter who killed six people on Saturday, wasn't all there. But he probably won't get off by claiming he was insane, say prosecutors and forensic scientists. Evidence of Loughner's premeditation—a string of written and face-to-face interactions with Gifford, a note referring to his "planning ahead," and calling his plot an "assassination"—will make it virtually impossible to argue he was unaware his actions were criminal. "It's very hard to prove insanity at trial," one criminal defense attorney said. "You really have to prove that your mental illness is so severe that you don't even understand that you're committing a criminal act. And it's almost impossible to prove that." Loughner's lawyers have not said how they plan to approach the defense.

Yeah, where did he get the idea that it might be acceptable to show up to a political gathering packing heat? (Note the lovely signs from various tea party rallies):

Hit By Ban Bus!

Elite Member

How unsurprising that some are using this tragedy to push their political agenda. This act was the work of one man, yet some are trying to further their political agenda by assigning the blame to Palin & The Tea Party. Unless they ordered a direct hit on Ms. Giffords, I fail to see how they hold any responsibility for this act.
    Ok, then how do you excuse the others? Another guy was arrested yesterday for planning to attack the offices of Dems in Congress (it got buried under the Arizona stories.) How about the guy who shot up the Holocaust Museum? What about the "radical leftist" federal judges who now need body guards to go to the store because they are targets for assassination?

At what point are the Tea Party/Palin/O'Reilly/Beck/Limbaugh going to take responsibility for the hatred they foster?

The comparison may not be pretty, but the Fascists of Europe didn't even take responsibility for Krystal Nacht, in which tens of thousands of Jewish businesses and synagogues were burned to the ground. They acted exactly like Rush is now - don't blame us.

I'm sick of being fair to hate mongering.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by baked_tater View Post
    Isn't it funny how she actually had to spew hate and vitriol in order to get that reaction from people?

it doesn't just generate out of thin air. Nobody would give 2 shits about Palin if she wasn't awful to begin with.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Did Obama's campaig words incite violence? Or are his words mere rhetoric, but Palin's gospel?

Obama’s Violent Rhetoric…which we exposed some time ago “Would crackdown on language include Obama”? « Randy’s Right

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Isn't it funny how she actually had to spew hate and vitriol in order to get that reaction from people?

it doesn't just generate out of thin air. Nobody would give 2 shits about Palin if she wasn't awful to begin with.

I see it differently. I see people as ignorant as theyt claim Palin is. Or hypocrites of the first degree. So, as long as someone is provoking, then it is OK to publish death calls and threats against an individual?

The democrats used the same type of graphic in 08, as I posted above. Did they really mean they wanted these people dead, or as Palin's graphic, is it rhetoric?

Or is it only an outrage when politicians one despises does it?

All these questions are, of course, rhetorical.
    Last edited by Tati; January 11th, 2011 at 01:15 PM.

Being ignored is "intent".

Thread Information