Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Congresswoman Shot in Head in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    He'll likely be charged with capital murder. If convicted in Arizona state court and sentenced to death, he'll get lethal injection.
    I don't think he will. Even the sheriff says he was just a nut case. I doubt he will ever get out, yet I thiught the same thing about Hinckly. I was wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by memebot View Post
    Where does it say that this guy was a teapartier? Palin supporter? Westboro Baptist?

All I have heard so far is that he is off his fucking nut.
    He was. His rants go all over the place. No one can figure it out, probably because it made sense only to him.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

No one yet knows what his hatred is, but all that murderous rhetoric is not ok ever.
    I agree, but I think spot hypocrisy in jumping on Sarah Palin without their being any link at all that the guy ever even saw Palin's website.

There's also a hypocrisy because both parties equally use violent, war imagery and rhetoric. For example, The Daily Kos, a liberal website, deleted posts yesterday where they, too, had put a bullseye on Giffords' district, and also several posts where they said Giffords was "dead" for voting against Nancy Pelosi.

Harry Mitchell, current Democratic Rep. from Arizona, aired campaign commercials where he showed his Republican opponent in crosshairs, through a mock gunsight. Obama was criticized during the election by the McCain campaign for making a comment that if his opponents brought a knife to a knife fight, "We'll bring a gun to the knife fight!" And then further stating about how he heard people in Philly "liked to brawl" (he was making the speech in Philadelphia at the time). Obama's gun comment was made about the same time that Palin's "don't retreat, reload" comment was.

I read an interesting article today that also pointed that the media plays into this, and eggs on politicians by using all this violent imagery. CNN's election coverage is called "The Situation Room," campaign headquarters are called "war rooms," the media always talks about bombshells, taking out opponents, calling elections "battles" and using war related graphics.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    According to the Net presence the shooter left behind, the only thing clues we have so far about him is that he listed The Communist Manifesto as a favorite book, had a weird obsession about literacy and was a pot advocate. Aside from that, his ramblings were pretty nonsensical.
    Don't forget The Wizard of Oz. That's enough to send anyone over the edge. I don't see where he said anything about being pro pot. Do you have a link?

A lot of his rambling is anti government/government control which does sound quite a bit like tea party rhetoric as does the currency obsession though he doesn't mention their darling return to the gold standard.
    --------------------------
    DHS may have a motive.

"This is an internal memo obtained by Fox News put out by DHS compiling facts known so far about the case - new - shooter's mother worked for Pima board of supervisers and the suspected anti-Semitic motivation of the shooter.
    MEMO:
    "The investigation has been taken over by the FBI, and is being run through the Tucson Command Post. Here's what can be confirmed at this time (1800 hrs)... * Gabrielle Giffords Is in ICU.* Federal judge John Roll is deceased. He did rule on a 32 million dollar civil rights lawsuit in February, 2010. That ruling brought death threats to Roll and his family, and for a time he was given a protection detail.* 6 deaths attributed to the shooting. 19 total people hit by gunfire.* suspect’s mother works for the Pima County Board of Supervisors* the suspect has multiple arrests ... But no criminal record? Intervention by someone?* no direct connection - but strong suspicion is being directed at AmRen / American Renaissance. Suspect is possibly linked to this group. (through videos posted on his myspace and YouTube account.). The group’s ideology is anti government, anti immigration, anti ZOG (Zionist Occupational Government), anti Semitic. Gabrielle Gifford is the first Jewish female elected to such a high position in the US government. She was also opposite this group’s ideology when it came to immigration debate.* DHS have a list of names and dates of birth of all victims.* the ACTIC is still playing a major role in the investigation... Computer forensics is cleaning up the surveillance videos, and images from around the scene, and involved in the investigation - working together, was MCSO, DPS, Phoenix PD, ICE, and of course the FBI. It did just come in from the command post, that the federal judge was Not originally scheduled to attend the meeting, according to wife. She stated that he received a phone call about an hour before and was invited to attend. Wrong place - wrong time. For the planning side, there are impromptu memorials popping up all over the state, but the largest one is downtown phoenix, at the capital.""

Source: Latest on shooting of Congresswoman Giffords…motivation: anti Semitic and she was the target « Gretawire

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Wow, I didn't know Giffords was Jewish. Did the press drop the ball on this one? I read several articles recapping her biography and not one mentioned she was Jewish, which seems like a huge blunder to me if it turns out this guy was an anti-Semite and linked to an anti-Zionist or pseudo-Nazi organization. (He did list "Mein Kampf" as being one of his favorite books on MySpace.)

I wonder if the classmate who said the shooter was "anti-religion" actually meant that the guy got in trouble at school for ranting about Jews.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by memebot View Post
    Where does it say that this guy was a teapartier? Palin supporter? Westboro Baptist?

All I have heard so far is that he is off his fucking nut.

Now now don't let a little thing like the actual facts get in the way. People lose their mind when you state facts and talk about reality.

Seems like the guy was a nut. But at the same time I don't care if this means Sarah Palin gets the blame if it shuts her down because she needs to be shut down.

And to MM and Diva, admiring a quality about someone's capabilities is not the same thing as saying I admire what they do. If someone has the ability to motivate large groups of people they could be someone like MLKJr or they could be someone like Hitler. There's a huge difference there. To me its so obvious it doesn't need explaining. But just to be clear, I would lump Palin in the Hitler category. She's scary. I don't know how much clearer I can make it.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by gristledonna View Post
    But just to be clear, I would lump Palin in the Hitler category. She's scary. I don't know how much clearer I can make it.
    Totally agree. I've watched rational people become psychotic while justifying Palin and the Tea Baggers. Whatever the attraction (I don't get it), it releases a very mean, small and dangerous quality inside very normal people.

Sure, a psycho will be amped by the Tea Bagger rhetoric, just like a jihadist. But Palin has an effect on average people that is outright terrifying.

The "Left" in this country (which isn't even really leftist) has nothing to compare with it.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

if you're gonna go out on a shooting rampage, how about doing it to people who have done you wrong not innocent people. better yet, don't do it at all.
    another year i claim of total indifference.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I've sat floored as I watched her popularity soar. She presents well. And she comes across all shucksie. When people call her stupid I think they tend to paint her as a bit harmless. But she's not harmless. Things like this are an example of what could happen.

I really hope the thing that has propelled her will be the thing that takes her down. I honestly don't think the man had even seen Sarah Palin's map prior to this event. I could be wrong though, we're still waiting on the other guy he might have been with. But if this creates a huge backlash against her by people who aren't interested in facts and evidence, she's going to be taken down by the very same effect that got her up there. So justice will be served.

I thought people might be interested in this bit of spin coming out of the Daily Mail

American politician shot in the head by gunman who left six dead is cousin of Gwyneth Paltrow

Suspect in attack on congresswoman acted alone - Yahoo! News

TUCSON, Ariz. – Federal prosecutors brought charges Sunday against the gunman accused of attempting to assassinate Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and killing six people at a political event in Arizona.

Investigators said they carried out a search warrant at Jared Loughner's home and seized an envelope from a safe with messages such as "I planned ahead," "My assassination" and the name "Giffords" next to what appears to be the man's signature. He allegedly purchased the Glock pistol used in the attack in November at Sportsman's Warehouse in Tucson.

Court documents also show that Loughner had contact with Giffords in the past. Other evidence included a letter addressed to him from Giffords' congressional stationery in which she thanked him for attending a "Congress on your Corner" event at a mall in Tucson in 2007.

Heather Williams, the first assistant federal public defender in Arizona, says the 22-year-old suspect doesn't yet have a lawyer, but that her office is working to get one appointed. Williams' office is asking for an outside attorney because one of those killed was U.S. District Judge John M. Roll.

Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said Sunday that Loughner acted alone.

Meanwhile, authorities released 911 calls in which a person witnessing the mass shooting outside a grocery store in Tucson describes a frantic scene and says, "I do believe Gabby Giffords was hit."

Loughner fired at Giffords' district director and shot indiscriminately at staffers and others standing in line to talk to the congresswoman, said Mark Kimble, a communications staffer for Giffords.

"He was not more than three or four feet from the congresswoman and the district director," Kimble said, describing the scene as "just complete chaos, people screaming, crying."

Loughner is accused of killing six people, including an aide to Giffords and a 9-year-old girl who was born on Sept. 11, 2001. Fourteen others were wounded. Authorities don't know Loughner's motive, but said he targeted Giffords at a public gathering around 10 a.m. Saturday.

Doctors treating the lawmaker provided an optimistic update about her chances for survival, saying they are "very, very encouraged" by her ability to respond to simple commands along with their success in controlling her bleeding.

Mourners crammed into the tiny sanctuary of Giffords' synagogue in Tucson to pray that she quickly recovered. Outside the hospital, candles flickered at a makeshift memorial. Signs read "Peace + love are stronger," "God bless America and "We love you, Gabrielle." People also laid down bouquets of flowers, American flags and pictures of Giffords.

One of the victims was Christina Taylor Green, who was a member of the student council at her local school and went to the event because of her interest in government. She is the granddaughter of former Philadelphia Phillies manager Dallas Green.

She was born on 9/11 and featured in a book called "Faces of Hope" that chronicled one baby from each state born on the day terrorists killed nearly 3,000 people.

The fact that Christina's life ended in tragedy was especially tragic to those who knew her. "Tragedy seems to have happened again," said the author of the book, Christine Naman. "In the form of this awful event."

Authorities said the dead included Roll; Green; Giffords aide Gabe Zimmerman, 30; Dorothy Morris, 76; Dorwin Stoddard, 76; and Phyllis Schneck, 79. Judge Roll had just stopped by to see his friend Giffords after attending Mass.

An unidentified man who authorities earlier said might have acted as an accomplice was cleared Sunday of any involvement. Pima County sheriff's deputy Jason Ogan told The Associated Press on Sunday that the man was a cab driver who drove the gunman to the grocery store outside of which the shooting occurred.

In one of several YouTube videos, which featured text against a dark background, Loughner described inventing a new U.S. currency and complained about the illiteracy rate among people living in Giffords' congressional district in Arizona.

"I know who's listening: Government Officials, and the People," Loughner wrote. "Nearly all the people, who don't know this accurate information of a new currency, aren't aware of mind control and brainwash methods. If I have my civil rights, then this message wouldn't have happen (sic)."

In Loughner's middle-class neighborhood — about a five-minute drive from the scene — sheriff's deputies had much of the street blocked off. The neighborhood sits just off a bustling Tucson street and is lined with desert landscaping and palm trees.

Neighbors said Loughner lived with his parents and kept to himself. He was often seen walking his dog, almost always wearing a hooded sweat shirt and listening to his iPod.

The assassination attempt left Americans questioning whether divisive politics had pushed the suspect over the edge.

Giffords faced frequent backlash from the right over her support of the health care reform last year, and had her office vandalized the day the House approved the landmark measure.

Dupnik lashed out at what he called an excessively "vitriolic" atmosphere in the months leading up to the rampage as he described the chaos of the day.

The sheriff said the rampage ended only after two people tackled the gunman. A third person intervened and tried to pull a clip away from Loughner as he attempted to reload, the sheriff said.

"He was definitely on a mission," according to event volunteer Alex Villec, former Giffords intern.

Hit By Ban Bus!

You wanna see scary. Look at the comments section on this site where they explain that Palin was using "surveyor symbols" not cross hairs on the map.

Palin used surveyor symbols, not crosshairs

On a side note I think she's full of BS.

This is an example of "cross hairs"

Note that in most of the images the lines extend past the edge of the circle, as they do on her map.

This is a surveyor symbol

Which one matches the one on her map?

Elite Member

You wanna see scary. Look at the comments section on this site where they explain that Palin was using "surveyor symbols" not cross hairs on the map.

Palin used surveyor symbols, not crosshairs
    And so it begins. The Tea Baggers will say anything, believe anything, to justify their bile.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Someone should send them the link I posted..In Sarah's own words!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    And so it begins. The Tea Baggers will say anything, believe anything, to justify their bile.

Here's an interview with Gifford where she discusses Palin's use of cross hairs.

YouTube - Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Talks Palin Cross Hairs!

She gets specific @ 2:25

He has had a beef with the congresswoman since 2006 when she didn't answer a question the way he wanted at a function. Toxic rhetoric doesn't do anything but add fuel to the fire. That goes for both parties but mainly what Palin has put out there. So thankful that my candidate didn't win and things worked out for the best. I want to see this lady out of politics period...

Here's an interview with Gifford where she discusses Palin's use of cross hairs.

YouTube - Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Talks Palin Cross Hairs!

She gets specific @ 2:25
    I really wish she had been provided security for her appearances. Its a shame she didn't feel safe due to another persons stupidity and recklessness
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread Information