Page 80 of 102 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1527
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Casey Anthony's Trial Begins

In Florida the jury recommends. But it doesn't mean anything in this trial, because the jury felt the state didn't prove it's case for murder.
    Which is my point: the people trying to argue that the jury acquitted because they weren't comfortable sending her to her death miss the point that the jury could have found her guilty, but still sentenced her to life in prison.

They didn't even feel manslaughter was proven. The simple fact is that these 12 people didn't feel she had been proven responsible for the child's death.
    I'm going based on what one of the jurors reportedly said, which is that the jurors did think Casey had a hand in Caylee's death, they just didn't feel that a motive for first degree murder was proven. So what did they think she was guilty of, and why do they think she lied to the police? As cmmdee eloquently outlined, the other lesser charges included pretty much cover every other option in Casey having a hand in Caylee's death - ranging from Casey actively killing her, to Casey accidentally killing her, to the kid dying accidentally while on Casey's watch. Yet the jury didn't convict on any of those lesser charges which were there precisely in the event the juror described - if the jury didn't think Casey committed first degree murder, but still thought she was guilty in Caylee's death. That's what makes no sense.

And none of the jurors have said they felt the state didn't prove manslaughter or any of the other charges, to my knowledge. They're only talked about how they felt the state didn't prove first degree but haven't said why they didn't feel like any of the other charges were appropriate, or even if they deliberated on them.

No one here, or on any other web board was on the jury. No one knows what they thought, felt, discussed in deliberation, etc.
    No shit. But that doesn't mean people can't criticize the jury's decision. Just like everyone has the right to free speech without government censure, but that doesn't translate to being free from criticism from other citizens.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    Which is my point: the people trying to argue that the jury acquitted because they weren't comfortable sending her to her death miss the point that the jury could have found her guilty, but still sentenced her to life in prison.
    no. you're the one who isn't understanding things.
    the jury didn't find proof of first-degree murder. but they also didn't find proof of manslaughter either. the prosecution couldn't even prove a murder had taken place. there was no cause of death. what should they have sentenced her to life for? a gut feeling? last time i checked, intuition wasn't grounds for sentencing by a jury.
    sure, they feel she probably did it. but there wasn't enough evidence to convict.
    it sucks. but it happens. deal with it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Sadly, Casey's maneuvers to conceal what happened to Caylee and when it happened, and hide the body as long as possible, worked. The defense's strategy to throw a bunch of shit against the wall and see what stuck worked, too.

I think a different group of jurors could have looked at the same evidence and come to a different conclusion, but that is not what happened. It sucks, but sometimes people get away with things.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Yep true and truer

Anyone else think Casey Anthony's mouth looks like the asshole of some wild animal?

Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Quote Originally Posted by nonorehab View Post
    And none of the jurors have said they felt the state didn't prove manslaughter or any of the other charges, to my knowledge. They're only talked about how they felt the state didn't prove first degree but haven't said why they didn't feel like any of the other charges were appropriate, or even if they deliberated on them.
    They said it pretty clearly with their verdict.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah angelais

Yet the jury didn't convict on any of those lesser charges which were there precisely in the event the juror described - if the jury didn't think Casey committed first degree murder, but still thought she was guilty in Caylee's death. That's what makes no sense.
    I totally agree. Makes no fucking sense to me! Grr!

And none of the jurors have said they felt the state didn't prove manslaughter or any of the other charges, to my knowledge.
    True. I have only heard the jurors talk about Murder 1 and none of the lesser charges. It would be interesting to hear why they determined she was not guilty of the lesser charges.

A murder/homicide does not have to take place in order for it to meet the definition of manslaughter and child abuse/neglect.

Who is your avatar, btw? Heidi Montag?

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    Anyone else think Casey Anthony's mouth looks like the asshole of some wild animal?

Absolutely! LOL

fgg

Casey Anthony Admirers Sending Cash to Jail

Since her acquittal earlier this month, Casey Anthony has been receiving support and sympathy from strangers – and her bank account is benefiting.

Sympathetic admirers from as far away as Canada (which one of you is it??) have been sending Anthony, 25, checks, which she uses to buy snacks and cosmetics, reports ABC News.

As of Thursday, Anthony had earned $472.18 – almost $200 more than she had the day she received the verdict – from at least 17 different donors since May, according to Orange County Corrections Department records.

The average inmate's account balance at the jail is $36.30.

With the money, donated mainly by men ranging in age from 19 to late 50s, Anthony bought deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste, eyeliner, hair ties, premium chicken breasts, spicy peanuts and jalapeño nacho cheese dip.

"I do not know Casey personally, nor am I supporting her as a person, nor am I anything like the people sending her love letters and asking her to marry them," one of her more generous male donors, who's in his late 20s, says. "However, what I am supporting is the jury's decision to acquit based on lack of evidence failing to overcome the reasonable doubt standard."

Anthony, who does not appear to have contacted any of the donors, will keep the remaining balance when she is released from jail Sunday.

Meanwhile, Texas Equusearch is suing Casey Anthony for more than $100,000 to recoup the money they spent searching for Caylee Anthony.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

the jury didn't find proof of first-degree murder. but they also didn't find proof of manslaughter either. the prosecution couldn't even prove a murder had taken place. there was no cause of death. what should they have sentenced her to life for?
    It's a fact that Caylee is dead, and there are only two possible options: she was killed, whether in murder or manslaughter, or she died in an accident (and the coroner, BTW, did determine a cause of death, which is good enough for me). Either way, Caylee was last seen alone with her guardian, Casey, and her guardian is the only one who actively lied about Caylee's whereabouts and impeded the police investigation into what happened. Even if you don't think she deserved life for first degree, those lesser charges cover pretty much any other circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by nononrehab View Post
    (and the coroner, BTW, did determine a cause of death, which is good enough for me).
    And what was the cause of death? Tell us, please. Because it appears that no one knows.

Casey Anthony Trial Update: Medical examiner can't discern cause of Caylee's death

In Garavaglia's autopsy, she determined that Caylee's manner of death was homicide, but she did not conclude a cause of death, reports CBS affiliate WKMG.

"It's very difficult, when the body is that decomposed, to say why they died," she said, reports the station.

According to Garavaglia, there was no noticeable trauma to Caylee's bones, but it is impossible to know if there was trauma to her tissue.

Casey Anthony Trial Update: Medical examiner can't discern cause of Caylee's death - Crimesider - CBS News
    Earlier today, the prosecutor and an alternate juror agreed on why the jury refused to convict Anthony: They couldn't prove how Caylee Anthony died.

"It all came down to the evidence," said Florida state attorney Jeff Ashton on "The View." "I think ultimately it all came down to -- at least from what the one alternate said -- it came down to the cause of death."

Casey Anthony Juror: Jury Sick to Stomach Over Not Guilty Verdict - ABC News
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; July 14th, 2011 at 08:20 PM.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

This is a quote from an article on the Caylee's Laws that was posted a few pages back. Just had to comment on it:

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    With Casey Anthony having been found not guilty of the murder of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee, outraged Americans are seeking other routes to justice and hoping to prevent similar cases.

About half a million people have already signed an online petition calling for a federal law — Caylee's Law — to make it a felony if parents fail to report the death of a child within an hour, or fail to report a missing child within a day. Legislators in at least five states, including Florida where Anthony was tried, are working on introducing similar bills.

But is this really a good idea? Such legislation, introduced in the wake of shocking crimes, is notorious for having unintended negative consequences, as embodied in the law school cliché, "hard cases make bad law."

Consider some scenarios that might arise under Caylee's Law. For instance, imagine that a child has just drowned — the scenario put forth by Anthony's defense — after hours of attempts at resuscitation. What parent's mind will be focused on notifying the police of the child's death within an hour? Wouldn't that small chore be forgotten, even by the most conscientious of parents, as they come to grips with the harrowing fact that efforts to revive their child have failed? Do we really want to add legal hassles to such parents' overwhelming grief?
    I don't really understand this logic. If there were hours of attempts at rescue, then there would be emergency personnel on the scene. And don't ambulances take away bodies? Calling 911 is among the very first things any reasonable person does in such a situation.

Heck I even have a friend who freaked out so badly when her lab (yes, her dog) suddenly had lung failure that she called 911! And they felt so badly for her that they went ahead and came out! Possibly to attend to my friend who was REALLY REALLY freaking out about her beloved dog. But anyway, point is, the above scenario really isn't an argument against Caylee's Law, far as I can see it.

Calling the police or medical professionals to deal with the body of a deceased child isn't a 'small chore.' It is 'duh obvious' and one of the first things that should be done.

ETA- I guess its worth asking- who should you call if, god forbid, you find yourself in such a situation? 911? Police? Hospital? Who or what entity actually removes a body when it is already dead and didn't die in a suspicious manner? I actually don't know the answer.

I don't know any parent, even if they found their child dead and knew consciously that the child was beyond saving, whose first reaction wouldn't be to call 911 and get medics there as quickly as possible. If anything, I've heard of people becoming hysterical and begging paramedics and hospital personnel to save their child even after the child has been dead for hours.

I can't imagine any parent ever finding their child drowned and not calling authorities, but trying to revive the child themselves and then being too "overcome" with grief to "forget" to call the authorities. What would they do, leave the kid's body on the ground while they go inside to cry? Child or adult, if someone dies or is dying in my presence, my first thought is going to be to get help, not, "Welp, here's a situation I can totally handle on my own."

When I was 5 my mom took me to Borders and I wandered away to the cafe area to look at the food. She was hysterical. She went to security as soon as she noticed I was missing (which was about 5 seconds after I left her side) and they shut down the whole store until they found me. After we left, she was still crying from the stress. That was in a BORDERS. Casey's kid was gone for 31 fucking days and she's partying and drinking and lying to the police. That alone shows guilt, the rest just adds to it.

The one thing I feel glad of is that she will never lead a normal life. The whole country knows she's guilty and will never let her forget it. She'd better learn Swahili, because she has no home in America.

Chouteau Clerk Mistaken For Casey Anthony Attacked With Minivan

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 5:51 PM EDT Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:51 PM EST Updated: Jul 14, 2011 7:42 PM EDT Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:42 PM EST

Picture of Sammay Blackwell on the left; Casey Anthony on the right.

Blackwell's truck after Nalley allegedly rammed it from behind.

Shireen Nalley's van after she allegedly slammed into Blackwell's vehicle.

Shireen Nalley appeared to be "severely impaired on an unknown drug," police say.

Lacie Lowry, News On 6

CHOUTEAU, Oklahoma -- An Oklahoma woman believes outrage over the Florida murder case almost cost her her life. The 26-year-old says a crazed woman tried to kill her because the woman thought she was Casey Anthony.
    It happened in Chouteau last Friday night, July 8, 2011, just days after the Casey Anthony verdict.
    Sammay Blackwell hopes she never hears this again:
    "You look like Casey Anthony, I'm like 'okay,'" she said.
    Blackwell doesn't think it's funny after what happened last week.
    Blackwell works at a convenience store in Chouteau and said Shireen Nalley came in that night around 10 p.m. and looked strange, very suspicious, then left after buying gas.
    "I just couldn't keep my eyes off of her," she said.
    Sammay got off work at 10:30 that night and walked out to her car, which was parked on the other side of the building, and got inside.
    "Began to back out and looked and I could tell she was staring directly at me; I could almost see the whites of her eyes," she recalled.
    "I proceeded to pull out of the parking lot, and she was right behind me," Sammay said.
    Blackwell drove a few miles and says Nalley suddenly rammed her van into the back of Blackwell's truck.
    "I said, 'Oh my God, help me,'" Blackwell told News On 6.
    She then pulled into a parking lot to get away.
    "She hit me again, causing my vehicle to flip two and a half times, landing on the driver's side, and I just laid there playing dead," she said.
    Blackwell's mother says she'll never forget her daughter's reaction.
    "I got to her, she was crying, she was shaking, she says, 'Mama, this lady thinks I'm Casey Anthony and she tried to kill me," her mother said.
    Police chased Nalley for a while and finally arrested her for assault and battery with a deadly weapon. Nalley told police she was "trying to save the children."
    "She said that I was trying to hurt babies, I was killing babies and she was going to stop it before it happened again," Blackwell recalled. "She could have taken me away from my family, my daughter."
    Blackwell's daughter is also named Caylee -- the only thing Sammay said she has in common with Casey Anthony.
    "I don't look that much like her, so what about people who actually do look like her and live closer to Florida, instead of Oklahoma, what's going to happen to those people?" she said.
    Nalley is in the Mayes County Jail on complaints of assault and battery with a deadly weapon, leaving the scene of a vehicle collision, resisting arrest and reckless driving. She is being held on a $25,000 bond.
    Police say Nalley seemed to be on drugs when they arrested her. She's in the Mayes County Jail on a $25,000 bond.
    Sammay Blackwell wants to get a restraining order against Nalley. Blackwell also says she's struggling with Nalley's car insurance right now and claims the company won't cover the damage if Nalley hit her on purpose.
    Chouteau Clerk Mistaken For Casey Anthony Attacked With Minivan - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

St. Pete resident mistaken for Casey Anthony juror

By STEPHEN THOMPSON | The Tampa Tribune
    Published: July 09, 2011

ST. PETERSBURG -- There's something Doug Bliss wants you to know: He was not a juror in the Casey Anthony trial.
    Repeat: He was not on the jury in the Casey Anthony trial.
    It's hard to blame the 57-year-old retiree for being defensive — not after the phone calls, the interview requests and the online insults, all from people convinced he was juror No. 2 in the high-profile trial.
    Many of those people don't like Bliss, or at least don't like juror No. 2. One website had a comment thread titled, "Doug Bliss Is One of the Twelve Stupidest People Walking in America Right Now."
    By 11 a.m. Friday, 487 Facebook users had "liked" the post, and nearly 80 had commented.
    Bliss says he has no idea why some people think he was a juror. The first inkling he had of the mistake was Wednesday night, when a stranger called and started asking him about the trial.
    Anthony had been acquitted the day before of charges she killed her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee. It sparked an outpouring of public anger.
    "I said I don't know anything about the trial, I don't have an opinion on the trial," Bliss said. "I thought it was really odd."
    Then, early Thursday evening, a woman called Bliss while he and his wife were doing their weekly grocery shopping.
    "She started asking me about the Casey Anthony trial," Bliss said. "I immediately said, 'What is going on? I don't understand why you people are calling me.' "
    The woman said it was all over Twitter and Facebook that he was a juror.
    "I said, 'I'm what? That's crazy,' " Bliss said.
    Bliss handed his phone to his wife, Karen, who quickly learned the woman was calling from ABC's "Good Morning America" show. The woman told Karen Bliss there were even pictures of Doug Bliss posted online.
    "I asked her, 'Where did you get this?' " Karen Bliss said. "She said, 'Twitter.' "
    Karen Bliss immediately searched Twitter, and her husband's name came up in connection with the trial. More Internet surfing showed one website even posted pictures of her husband, some taken while he was playing guitar at a benefit at a St. Petersburg bar.
    Doug Bliss is a fan of neither Twitter nor Facebook, but he tried posting a comment saying he wasn't a juror. It never showed up, so he's worried some people might still think he was one of the jurors who acquitted Anthony of the most serious charges against her.
    "There's people out there who say I should die," Doug Bliss said.
    St. Pete resident mistaken for Casey Anthony juror | TBO.com

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Thread Information