Page 34 of 102 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Casey Anthony's Trial Begins

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    So now she left the ladder down?

*sigh*
    I think she is saying that she always left the ladder down, but that on June 16, the last day Caylee was seen alive, that Cindy noticed that ladder was up and the gate going out of the yard was open. Like someone else had done it, not her. It looks like another element that would allow people to assume that maybe Caylee did drown in the pool and somebody hurried her out of the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    wow that is one fucked up family; google searching "chloroform" and "neck breaking", sick fucks!
    ABC's news site today was speculating on the likelihood of perjury charges if it can be proven that Cindy was actually at work the day that the searches were performed. Cindy has claimed that the "neck breaking" came from a pop-up window of a skateboarder performing a "neck-breaking stunt". A legal analyst basically asked, though, "How come she remembers this now, and not during deposition? People's memories general don't improve over time. I can't remember a pop-up I saw on my PC yesterday, and Cindy Anthony remembers one from three years ago???"

Bronze Member

[quote=MohandasKGanja;2472130]I think she is saying that she always left the ladder down, but that on June 16, the last day Caylee was seen alive, that Cindy noticed that ladder was up and the gate going out of the yard was open. Like someone else had done it, not her. It looks like another element that would allow people to assume that maybe Caylee did drown in the pool and somebody hurried her out of the yard.

I believe that I misspoke earlier. I apologize for any confusion.

This trial has driven me to drink.

Nobody remembers popups, I mean come ON Cindy.

Re: the ladder, I think I'm confused about their pool. Was it above ground?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Nobody remembers popups, I mean come ON Cindy.

Re: the ladder, I think I'm confused about their pool. Was it above ground?
    It looks to be. Part of the testimony today was pics of Caylee and Cindy climbing up a ladder into the pool.

Ok, I wanted to make sure what ladder up vs ladder down actually meant.

Yes, the Baez team was attempting to build a case that Caylee could open the back sliding door herself, and climb up the ladder herself.

So when a pop-up window opens on your computer, it inputs terms into a search engine? Riiiiiight.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

fgg

Lee Anthony, Casey's Brother, Breaks Down on the Stand

Immediately after Cindy Anthony testified on her daughter Casey Anthony's behalf, Casey's brother, Lee Anthony, took the stand with emotional testimony of Caylee's birth – and the dysfunctional, secret-keeping dynamic within the Anthony family.

Lee Anthony testified that he didn't know that Casey was pregnant until he happened to see her late one night as she emerged from their shared bathroom.

"I could see her midsection and it was showing," he testified. "I didn't expect it. I was like, 'What the hell is that?' and she waved me off."

At the memory, Casey Anthony, who is charged with murder, smiled.

Lee Anthony says he confronted Casey once more when the pregnancy was "brutally" obvious. The family didn't talk about it again until Caylee was born. Lee was not present at the birth.

"I was angry," he testified, his voice breaking. "I didn't want to be there."

"Why were you angry?" asked defense attorney Jose Baez.

"I was angry at my mom and at Casey," said Lee as he broke down in tears. "They didn't want to include me."

Lee also testified that he had previously owned the white Pontiac Sunfire that Casey was driving at the time that Caylee died – and his testimony cast doubt on the idea that the stains in the trunk were from a body decomposing.

"When you owned this car, was there a stain in the trunk?" asked Baez.

"There were a few, yes," answered Lee.

"And were they there when you purchased the car?"

"Yes," replied Lee. "They were."

The testimony was difficult for Lee Anthony, who sniffled as he rode the elevator during his lunch break. Cindy Anthony comforted him by putting her arm around him.

This family dynamic is fucked up.

Casey is obviously a sociopath or a borderline or both (if that's possible) who had complete manipulative control over her family.

They didn't acknowledge the pregnancy until the baby was born? Fear of upsetting Casey no doubt.

I stand corrected: according to Time's trial blog, the custodian of records at Cindy's work has been on the state's witness list since the trial began, so I assume they will call that person just for an occasional like this (Cindy backtracking).

If Casey gets off, no one is going to blame the prosecution unfortunately. Just like the OJ case, no one will see how badly the case was mangled.
    I think it's too early to say that the state "mangled" the case. Everyone I know who has even followed the trial a little bit think Cindy did not come off as a reliable witness, rather that she came across as a woman obviously grasping at straws to try and save her daughter. And hopefully the state will call other witnesses to impeach her.

I like to put myself in the shoes of a juror: I would be annoyed at the slapshot approach the defense is taking that focuses on things that, to me, wouldn't matter, like what size shorts Caylee was wearing. To me, as a juror, the main thing I would want from the defense is some explanation as to Casey's behavior. Because even if they had evidence Caylee drowned in the pool, or if that was a possibility, I would still be hung up as to how a woman could find her dead baby in the pool and then go rent movies with her boyfriend that night, and spend the next day bumping uglies. And then spend the next month making up constant lies about her daughter's whereabouts whil partying her ass off and getting a "Bella Vita" tattoo. The defense hasn't countered the state's portrayal of Casey as a pathological liar, instead it's bolstered it and since AFAIK no psychologist is going to testify for the defense, I would be left, as a juror, without any reasonable explanation as to why Casey lied so much. And I would wonder, if the defense agrees that Casey is a pathological liar, why I should believe Casey's story now - when she had ample opportunity to explain the "accident" over the past three years - especially since the only person who was a supposed witness to the "accident" doesn't have a history of pathological lying and came across as a reasonable, calm, truthful person on the stand. The defense basically hinges on, "Casey says THIS is what really happened and believe her and her conspiracy theories above all other witnesses" and as a juror I don't think I could get beyond that after hearing about her history. The simplest explanation is often the closest to the truth, and the simplest explanation for Casey''s lies and jubilant behavior after her daughter's death is that she caused it.

The defense's biggest flaw, IMO, is that it overreached: to believe the story, it not only requires believing Casey but disbelieving a whole bunch of other people unrelated to each other (the scientists, George, the guy who found the body, etc.). Instead of a conspiracy, a better defense would have been a psychological argument: Casey found Caylee in the pool, panicked, had some sort of psychotic break and went into denial. She threw Caylee into the drunk and basically blacked out the whole incident. Casey wasn't celebrating Caylee's death, she had a psychotic break and made herself believe Caylee was kidnapped due to the trauma of finding her baby girl dead in the pool, etc. It would still be hard to swallow but I at least could see the tinist little speck of possibility in that, rather than the defense that Casey the pathological liar is now magically telling the truth.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    I stand corrected: according to Time's trial blog, the custodian of records at Cindy's work has been on the state's witness list since the trial began, so I assume they will call that person just for an occasional like this (Cindy backtracking).
    That's good. I'd still like some phone/computer records and maybe a witness who remembers working with her that day, but at it's something. And dammit, I want somebody from Google who will testify that pop ups don't populate your search bar and hit enter!!! Is that too much to ask?

The defense could have found a psychologist to testify to all of that garbage you (NoNo) mentioned - the industry is full of money-grubbing attention whores who sold their souls long ago - but maybe Baez actually had sense enough to realize that they'd be annhililated on the stand. Or maybe he's as dumb as he sees, and just shoots lots of bullets all around the room, hoping to hit something. You're right about the defense. They're throwing out their own ridiculous story without any acknowledgement of the factors that make this case shocking, which as you stated, are things like Casey getting movies, hanging out with the bf, not telling anyone, partying like it's 1999, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    This family dynamic is fucked up.

Casey is obviously a sociopath or a borderline or both (if that's possible) who had complete manipulative control over her family.

They didn't acknowledge the pregnancy until the baby was born? Fear of upsetting Casey no doubt.
    I had to back away from the case a while ago because I was just obsessed, but when I was still in the thick of things, I remember one of the document dumps (from the Sunshine Law in FL) included a series of emails between Cindy and her brother. He said they all gathered for a family wedding (I can't remember if it was the brother's or not) and most of the people there had not seen Casey in such a long time and they were shocked at a then 7 months pregnant Casey at the wedding. Cindy and George completely denied it and told everyone she had just gained weight (I remember seeing a picture of Casey and Cindy at the wedding and there was just NO way you couldn't see that she was pregnant. She was thin and just had a big pregnant belly). No one knows if they really thought she wasn't pregnant (I mean, come on!! Cindy's a nurse!!) or they were just lying out of the shame of an unwed, teenage pregnancy or what. The emails between Cindy and her brother were basically all about Casey and how they were fooling nobody and it just degenerated into a huge fight and I don't think they've spoken since. I *believe* this was also around the time that Casey had stolen money from her maternal grandmother and her eldery, nursing home bound, maternal grandfather. I know the brother was pissed about the stolen money from their parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    I had to back away from the case a while ago because I was just obsessed, but when I was still in the thick of things, I remember one of the document dumps (from the Sunshine Law in FL) included a series of emails between Cindy and her brother. He said they all gathered for a family wedding (I can't remember if it was the brother's or not) and most of the people there had not seen Casey in such a long time and they were shocked at a then 7 months pregnant Casey at the wedding. Cindy and George completely denied it and told everyone she had just gained weight (I remember seeing a picture of Casey and Cindy at the wedding and there was just NO way you couldn't see that she was pregnant. She was thin and just had a big pregnant belly). No one knows if they really thought she wasn't pregnant (I mean, come on!! Cindy's a nurse!!) or they were just lying out of the shame of an unwed, teenage pregnancy or what. The emails between Cindy and her brother were basically all about Casey and how they were fooling nobody and it just degenerated into a huge fight and I don't think they've spoken since. I *believe* this was also around the time that Casey had stolen money from her maternal grandmother and her eldery, nursing home bound, maternal grandfather. I know the brother was pissed about the stolen money from their parents.
    I think Casey didn't want to acknowledge it so they didn't, moreso than the parents were ashamed (don't buy AT ALL that they didn't know). I'm trying to imagine staring at a 7 month pregnant belly and pretending it's not there.

Okay, WTF is going on? The judge was pretty set on them working all day Saturday, then he comes in and announces they'll be in recess until Monday because there's some legal issue that needs to be dealt with. And there were twelve witnesses set to testify today. The judge doesn't seem to be one to want to inconvenience people, so whatever is going on must be huge.

The only guess I've been hearing on the news is that maybe there's plea bargaining going on, but that was supposedly one of several options.
    Get it together Us weekly. And that statement by “Kristen” um obviously wasn’t her. any fan, stan, stalker, kstew role player can tell right away that isn’t her. - a Twihard

Argh, made my latte, still in jammies, was all ready for a full day. Wth? Baez is going to screw this trial up somehow I think.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Thread Information