Page 28 of 102 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Casey Anthony's Trial Begins

Judge Perry is getting pissed. LOL

Casey Anthony trial: Perry adjourns court until 9 a.m. Tuesday – no explanation given

The judge later signs amended order barring the release of seated jurors' names.

"By joint stipulation, we are in recess until 9 a.m." Tuesday, Perry said at about 11 a.m.

The sudden decision to recess likely stemmed from Perry's earlier frustrations and the defense team's difficulty in calling witnesses who have not fully disclosed their opinions to the prosecution.

An infuriated Perry warned the Casey Anthony defense and prosecution today that he is getting fed up with games being played during the course of the trial.

His anger is fueled by the additional charges of witness-discovery violations by the defense.

Perry's frustrations were expressed after prosecutor Jeff Ashton announced he intended to call for new sanctions against the defense, and Jose Baez in particular, for failing to disclose information about what his witnesses will testify about.

This time, Ashton said, he was late in getting a report, opinions and other materials from Richard Eikelenboom, a Dutch forensic expert who specializes in "Touch DNA" involving small amounts of the genetic material.

After hearing that Baez accused Ashton of shirking his responsibilities by not deposing defense witnesses and then blaming the defense

"He wants to go after the lawyer, too. I think it is repulsive," Baez said.

Perry appeared on the verge of excluding the defense witnesses from being allowed to testify but held back from that extreme measure out of concern it might unfairly punish Casey Anthony.

Still, he repeated his concerns about a trend of "continuously" violating his orders.

"Yes there has been gamesmanship in this particular case. It is quite evident there is a friction between attorneys," Perry said. "That is something I guess that the Florida Bar will deal with."

He also repeated that he would handle Baez' potential discovery violation following the proceedings.

Meanwhile, Perry decided he would not let the defense team's intended first witness today, Dr. William Rodriguez, testify until the prosecution had a chance to review his deposition, which only occurred Saturday after he started to express new opinions not included in his report provided to the prosecution.

Perry said he is bothered by the delays created recently and said he will have the attorneys work a full day on Saturday and perhaps make them come in early during weekdays.

"I'm getting very, very close to starting this proceeding every morning at 8:30," Perry said. "All of this folks is going to stop or you will be working some very fierce days. Be prepared Saturday to go the whole day."

Baez walked away from the courthouse in silence as reporters followed and tried to get answers about his defense witnesses. Co-counsel Cheney Mason nodded in agreement, however, when asked if the defense team will have witnesses prepared to testify tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Perry also signed an order barring the release of seated jurors' names today.

Casey Anthony trial: Forensic witnesses expected to testify today in Casey Anthony trial - OrlandoSentinel.com

fgg

baez has to be disbarred after this trial, right? he's a freaking disaster. where did cheney mason come from and why on earth would he want to be associated with baez?

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    baez has to be disbarred after this trial, right? he's a freaking disaster. where did cheney mason come from and why on earth would he want to be associated with baez?
    My guess is because Mason isn't that good either. I had read that he botched his questioning of Garavaglia by failing to followup and challenge some of the things she said in her testimony. Also by not being aware in advance of how she was actually going to answer his questions.

Here is an interesting site where an actual Florida judge answers questions about the case:
    Ask The Judge: Defense Team, Lesser Charges - Orlando News Story - WESH Orlando

Dear Judge Eaton: Why has attorney H. Cheney Mason taken such a small part in this trial? He is the one with the most experience, as I understand it. Are they trying to get a mistrial for incompetent legal defense? -- Joan, DeLand, Fla.

I am as surprised as you are. I thought the defense team had divided up the issues and had assigned different areas according to experience and expertise. Hoping for a new trial based upon a claim of ineffective assistance of counsel is a long shot, and the issue cannot be raised until after a conviction and after an appeal. An appeal can take up to two years. I doubt if the defense is purposely providing ineffective assistance. That would be an ethical violation that could result in discipline or disbarment by the Florida Supreme Court. -- Judge O.H. Eaton

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    A friend testified at the trial that Casey told her that George and Cindy were "leaving her their house." Casey told the friend that the house would be hers in a couple of months and asked the friend to move in and share it - the friend went so far as to go furniture shopping, but then the shit went down with Caylee. I do think that Casey planned to kill her parents as well - there were absolutely no plans for them to move out, nevermind give Casey the house. I think Casey was planning to kill not only Caylee but George and Cindy and take over their house and spend their money.
    I still feel so bad for her friend.. she must have been getting hugely fed up w/Casey's lies & constant cancellation of plans. She is also the friend that Casey stole and spent her cash, that she had at home, (400 dollars) & Casey tried to make her believe she hid it in her sleep (sleepwalking). I was reading through text msgs yesterday & while Amy is pulling her hair out & over turning her house to find that money, Casey is texting her.. it will turn up or I'm sorry Love, etc etc. Mean!!!! Casey was also supposed to pick her up one morning, really early, to drive her to a dealership so Amy could purchase a new car (she wrecked hers) & Casey didn't want to go help her (I guess) she ended up calling Amy & telling her that her dad (Casey's) had a heart attack (or something medical like that) & they were at the hospital so Amy had to take a rental car. Unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    Yes, this!!! Disaster is a great word. Holy shit.

OMG make this train wreck stop! This is just embarrassing at this point!!!!

I was watching NG last night & laughing my ass off!! Spitz couldn't even remember the name of the victim & he couldn't prove a thing after he unnecessarily sawed opened the top of her skull & tried to muddy up Dr G's name/opinion.

eta: OMG the pros is destroying these ppl this morning!

-------
    My head is going to blow up.. now the defense is whining b/c the State (even tho they provided the complete content found on the Anthony computer) Jose is arguing that the State didn't point out (whatever he's arguing) specifically & there were hundreds/thousands of files & information.. thank god the Judge said flat out, they provided it all to you & it was your job to go through & use what you wanted to use/review all the info. OH.MY.GOD. Is he for real???
    Last edited by MsChiff; June 21st, 2011 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MsChiff View Post
    I was watching NG last night & laughing my ass off!!
    BOMBSHELL TONIGHT!... IN THE CASEY ANTHONY TOT MOM TRIAL...

Did they start court back up today? I haven't been able to catch anything today.

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    Did they start court back up today? I haven't been able to catch anything today.
    Yes, apparently a couple defense witnesses have changed their minds and have said things that help the prosecution. Nancy Grace will have actual bombshells tonight.

This article is long, but interesting:

Casey Anthony's Defense Mirrors Story of Jailhouse Neighbor

Casey Anthony Trial Comes to Abrupt Halt

By JESSICA HOPPER
    June 21, 2011

A Florida woman has come forward to say that she was a jailhouse neighbor of Casey Anthony at a time when the women talked about how her child drowned in the family pool and that the child's grandfather called 911 to report the death.

The woman's story is similar to the surprise defense offered by Casey Anthony's lawyers on the first day of her murder trial.

Prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick told the trial judge today that the woman's story came to their attention last Thursday or Friday and her claim is being investigated. She identified the woman as April Whalen.

Whalen's father, the man who reported his grandson's death in 2007, told ABCNews.com that detectives came by his house last week to ask about his daughter. He said that his daughter told him that she once slept next to Anthony's cell in 2009.

"I think she did talk to her [Casey Anthony]," Lynn Whalen said.
    It's unclear if April Whalen told Anthony about her child's death. April Whalen's 15-month-old son, Isaiah, accidentally drowned in the family's pool during a Christmas celebration in 2007.

Lynn Whalen did not know whether his daughter was the one who called the Orange County Sheriff's office, launching the investigation. April Whalen, 30, has been booked into the Orange County jail at least 10 times on charges including petit theft, driving with a suspended license and drug possession.

Anthony, 25, is accused of murdering 2-year-old daughter Caylee and could face the death penalty if convicted.

Anthony and her defense team claimed in their opening statement that Caylee accidentally drowned in the family pool on June 16, 2008, 31 days before she was reported missing. They also contend that George Anthony, Casey Anthony's father, helped dispose of the child's body.

Lynn Whalen wouldn't comment on how he felt about the possibility that Casey Anthony was using his family's tragedy as a defense in her trial.

Red Huber/Orlando Sentinel
    Casey Anthony looks away as evidence photos... View Full Size

Red Huber/Orlando Sentinel
    Casey Anthony looks away as evidence photos of the skull of her daughter Caylee are displayed during Casey's murder trial at the Orange County Courthouse in Orlando, Fla. on Tuesday, June 21, 2011.

Casey Anthony: Keeping Order Inside the Courtroom Watch Video

Casey Anthony Trial: Judge Scolds Attorney Watch Video

Casey Anthony's Lawyer Threatened With Contempt

"I think that whole situation is a sad situation," he said.
    Prosecutors said that for now they do not plan to call April Whalen as a witness, but that may change as the investigation continues.

Casey Anthony evidence photos

Earlier today, a defense witness in the Casey Anthony trial claimed that Caylee's skeletal remains could have been in a wooded area for as little as two weeks.

Anthony looked away as pictures of her 2-year-old Caylee's skull were shown among leaves and twigs where they were discovered off of Suburban Drive in December 2008.

Botanist Jane Bock told jurors that her study of what she calls leaf litter at the site where Caylee's skull was found indicated that the skeletal remains could have been there for a minimum of two weeks when they were discovered on Dec. 11, 2008.

Bock's assessment that the remains could have been in the wooded area for just a few weeks gives a boost to the defense. Anthony was in jail in the weeks leading up to the discovery of Caylee's remains.

Bock also testified that the leaves found in Casey Anthony's car do not match the leaves found with Caylee's remains.

Upon cross examination, Bock acknowledged that the remains could have been there as little as two weeks or much longer. Caylee's skull was found with leaves up to the jawline.

Anthony's Pontiac Sunfire tested positive for human decomposition and high levels of chloroform. The prosecution contends that Caylee died from chloroform and duct tape placed over her nose and mouth.

While the prosecution contends the body was lying in the woods for months, Casey Anthony's defense lawyers have stated that the man who eventually found the body, Roy Kronk, moved the body and essentially tampered with the evidence.

Experts have said that if the body was moved from the crime scene, any evidence associated with it -- like the duct tape -- could be brought into question.

The defense claims that the toddler accidentally drowned in the family pool on June 16, 2008. Caylee was not reported missing until July 15, 2008.

The defense resumed calling witnesses today after an abrupt end to Monday's hearing. Judge Belvin Perry reprimanded both defense attorney Jose Baez and prosecutor Jeff Ashton on Monday and recessed the court before any witnesses could be called.

Judge Again Gets Angry With Casey Anthony's Lawyer

The scolding continued today with Judge Belvin Perry saying that defense attorney Jose Baez had committed a "willful" discovery violation by not making sure forensic expert Richard Eikelenboom had completed a report required by the court. Each expert witness is required to file a report stating the opinions that he or she will testify to so that both the prosecution and defense can properly prepare their cases. Perry stopped short of excluding Eikelenboom. Instead, he is forbidding him from testifying on the DNA testing of decompositional fluid in Casey Anthony's car trunk until the court holds an extended hearing on the manner in the coming weeks.

Eikelenboom testified that one would expect to find DNA on the sticky side of duct tape placed over someone's mouth. Caylee Anthony's remains were found with three pieces of duct tape.

Upon cross examination, Eikelenboom conceded that it would be difficult to find DNA on tape that had been exposed to the same conditions as Caylee's remains.

Orange County Detective Yuri Melich also testified again. This time he discussed the search for chloroform at the Anthony family home. Police didn't search for chloroform until December of 2008, months after an initial report from forensic experts showed Casey Anthony's car tested positive for chloroform.

Casey Anthony: Keeping Order Inside the Courtroom Watch Video

Casey Anthony Trial: Judge Scolds Attorney Watch Video

Casey Anthony's Lawyer Threatened With Contempt Watch Video

Marcus Wise, an analytic chemist, seemed to frustrate defense attorney Jose Baez. Wise was meant to refute evidence that showed high levels of chloroform found in Casey Anthony's car. Wise testified that peaks of chloroform were found in carpet samples from Casey Anthony's Pontiac Sunfire. He also said that an air sample from the car didn't show a strong presence of chloroform but that was to be expected since chloroform is a volatile gas that evaporates quickly.

Baez tried repeatedly to get Wise to negate Arpad Vass's qualifications. Vass is the scientist who took air samples from the car. Both are colleagues at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee. Wise called Vass "talented."

Vasco Thompson, the convicted kidnapper and surprise witness added to the defense's roster of witnesses, will be deposed Wednesday in the law offices of Cheney Mason, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

The defense claims that Thompson and George Anthony, Casey Anthony's father, exchanged phone conversations the day before Caylee was reported missing. Both George Anthony and Vasco Thompson have denied knowing one another. Thompson's attorney filed a motion to quash the subpoena.

"I have no idea who George Anthony is," Thompson said. "The phone number they got, I didn't have that number until February of 2009. I don't know why they dragged me into all this mess."

Baez never said what Thompson's connection to the case may have been, but he has accused George Anthony of helping to dispose of Caylee's body after she accidentally drowned in the family pool.

Source: Casey Anthony's Defense Mimics Story Told By Jaihouse Neighbor April Whalen - ABC News
    Get it together Us weekly. And that statement by “Kristen” um obviously wasn’t her. any fan, stan, stalker, kstew role player can tell right away that isn’t her. - a Twihard

I'm off work today and saw on Inside Edition that the defense's new "surprise witness" is a woman who worked on a Caylee search party and now claims that she was also George Anthony's mistress. Since that has no bearing on the trial, the defense is also claiming the woman said George told her Caylee's death was an accident. In another blow for the defense, the woman has also gone to the media.

I couldn't find much online about the witness except in Time's daily recap of the trial, who noted that this same woman goes by two different names and was investigated previously and denied having an affair with George. In her TV interview, she also denied that George ever abused Casey and was very vague about the "accident," saying only that George said once, "It was an accident that snowballed out of control."

IMO even if this woman was credible, that statement alone means nothing because George said nothing about him being involved. And it's already on the jailhouse tapes where George and Cindy are asking Casey if Caylee drowned, if there was an accident and Casey is just scared and covering it up, etc. So clearly that was in the Anthonys' mind and at one point they were grasping at straws and almost begging Casey to confess to an accident rather than to murder. They were publicly standing by Casey at that time , so I would not be surprised if either George or Cindy told family or friends that they thought Caylee's death was accidental at that time and the authorities were persecuting her. But like I said, this woman came across as a loony tune on video and apparently has a hinky background, so I don't think it will matter anyway.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

It looks like the woman in question, River Cruz (which has to be an alias), gave police a text message that George sent her. Also, she supposedly gave them an "intimate video" they made. And her sister is backing up her story.

George Anthony Texted Alleged "Other Woman" - News Story - WFTV Orlando

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

oh good god, how fucked up can this trial get?! ^

River Cruz!! Nooo!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

fgg

so now a coyote was involved and it buried caylee??

Maybe George cheated, who knows, but that has no bearing on the trial and the judge will never allow her unless there is some proof that he actually told her anything about being involved in Caylee's accidental death. George is not on trial, Casey is, and whether he cheated is not isn't relevant. Even Casey's own record of stealing and fraud (for cleaning out her friend Amy's bank account) was not allowed to be presenting to the jury, even though Amy was a witness who testified about her friendship with Casey.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

George told her Caylee's death was an accident that snowballed out of control.
    Wow that makes me wonder now. This woman was a volunteer who searched for Caylee. That's how they met.

This whole trial is a mess. I think that whole family is really fucked up, and it wouldn't surprise me if they were all in on it, in some way. Either before, or after the fact of Caylee's death.

I know in my heart that Casey did it,..but if I was on the jury,...they haven't proved, beyond any reasonable doubt, that she did it. You can see that she probably did,...but there are doubts here and there. I think it is turning into a circus, and Baez and Ashton are now in it to win it. It is like they are forgetting about Caylee, and just winning is all that matters.

Thread Information