Page 25 of 102 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Casey Anthony's Trial Begins

She will never confess. She believes her own lies. She believes she will be found innocent, which is why she never took a plea deal.

I do agree that if the jury comes back quickly, it's prob a loss for the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    It reeks of "They're the black kid's pants" defense.

Maybe it was a wrong #?
    What I find interesting about this is that the guy apparently refused to speak with Casey's attorneys. Which means that if they bring him up to the stand as a hostile witness they have no idea what he will say - either to bolster or harm their defense. And that's been a criticism by observers of Casey's team the whole trial -- don't ask a question if you don't know what the answer is going to be.

One other thing is that Vasco's attorneys are going to have a press-conference today at 4 pm (EST). They haven't announced yet what they plan to say.

fgg

Casey Anthony Trial: Strengths & Weaknesses of the State's Case

Over the past 19 days, the State of Florida has called more than 30 witnesses and introduced 315 pieces of evidence against Casey Anthony, the Florida mom accused of murdering her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee. Despite the evidence against Anthony, though, some questions remain. Namely, could she go free?

As the defense begins, PEOPLE looks at the strengths and weaknesses of the prosecution's case.

Strengths
    Computer Searches: One of the most damning pieces of evidence against Anthony has always been the searches on the family computer, which included, "how to make chloroform," "neck-breaking" and "inhalation."

The prosecution scored big while interviewing computer expert John Bradley on June 9. After establishing that chloroform residue was found in Anthony's car, the prosecution had Bradley testify that Anthony visited a website about chloroform.

"How many times was that site visited?" asked the prosecutor.

"According to the history," Bradley answered. "84 times."

As people in the gallery gasped, every juror jotted down notes.

Casey's Own Words: Although Anthony has not testified, the prosecution entered videos of jailhouse visits into evidence. During these visits, taped shortly after her 2008 arrest, Anthony had kind words for her father, George. "You've been a great dad and the best grandfather," she told him. "Don't for a second think otherwise."

The jailhouse tapes seemingly contradict the defense's claim that George sexually molested Casey. "Her own words came back to haunt her," a prosecution source tells PEOPLE. "It was very effective."

Partying Pictures: Four days after Caylee Anthony disappeared and the defense claims that she accidentally drowned Casey Anthony participated in a hot body contest at an Orlando club. Prosecutors introduced photos of a happy-looking Anthony partying, smiling with her boyfriend, drinking and grinding against another girl.

The jury, normally expressionless during the trial, watched carefully. Some of the older female jurors shook their heads and sighed.

Weaknesses
    Cause of Death: It's the biggest mystery of the case: how exactly did Caylee die?

"It is our position that ... Caylee Marie Anthony died as a result of three pieces of duct tape applied to her nose and mouth, as a result of poisoning by chloroform [and] as a result of a combination of the two," Assistant State Attorney Linda Drane Burdick said in court on June 15.

Not so, says the defense: "Caylee Marie Anthony drowned in the pool," defense attorney Jose Baez said in opening arguments. "It was a tragic accident."

"Drowning is a reasonable explanation," says Orlando criminal defense attorney Richard Hornsby. "And there is no physical evidence to dispute it."

The Hair in the Trunk: It was just a single strand of hair consistent with Caylee and showing signs of decomposition. Although the state believes it proved that Caylee's dead body had been in the trunk, the defense questions the scientific findings.

"This is junk science," Baez has said. "And it's just one hair."

Prosecutors admitted that there was less physical evidence in the trunk than they had expected, but speculate that Anthony may have attempted to clean the trunk. "In this case," the prosecution source says, "we believe one hair is sufficient."

Baez and his co-counsel begin presenting the defense on Thursday morning. After he finishes in as few as five days or as long as five weeks the prosecution will have one last chance to introduce new witnesses.

I don't believe the hair or the air is a weakness. It's been proven time and time again that this is the age of CSI and jurors love forensic evidence, even weak forensic evidence. In fact, many jurors expect DNA to be an issue in EVERY case, even when it's not feasible. Trying to rattle the expert witnesses and the "junk science" defense is an old trick that almost never, ever works even in cases where it turned out to be true. Forensics dazzles juries and the state had some very impressive forensic witnesses.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

It's getting weirder and weirder. I pity the jury.
    The judge is so relaxed. I love his attitude.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Yea,...I like Belvin, too! And he doesn't take any shit!! He reminds me of Steve Urkel's Dad in a way. I have to laugh that he is just as round in the front, as he is in the back. Kind of like a Weeble Wobble. But you can tell the guy really knows the law. Very smart guy!!

I really don't know what to think about the trial. I feel in my gut that she is guilty and killed Caylee,...but the pros has only showed a lot of circumstantial evidence and that she is a liar. They don't have any solid proof that she did it, beyond a shadow of a doubt. And that bothers me. I sure wouldn't want to be in the jury's shoes on this one.

I guess I want them to bring out that smoking gun that makes me KNOW she did it. Hell,...it is scary that they can convict and sentence someone on just circumstantial evidence. It makes me realize that I NEVER want to be in that situation,...fighting the legal system for my life and freedom.

It is too late for the smoking gun stuff now, isn't it? Although Baez may get her the death penalty himself.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Yes,...it probably is to late at this point. Unless they really tie it up neatly in their closing. But I would think after 3 fucking years they would have had really solid evidence against her where it would have been a no brainer. Something is still off to me about the whole thing. About that whole family, really.....*sigh*

They don't have any solid proof that she did it, beyond a shadow of a doubt. And that bothers me. I sure wouldn't want to be in the jury's shoes on this one.
    They don't have to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt, just beyond reasonable doubt.

IMO that's a common misconception some people (like jurors) have with the legal system. Certainly smoking guns are great...but life (and death, and crime) is messy. Once again, probably because of cop shows and movies, some people expect that cases should be proved to an almost incredible degree. There needs to be a confession, or a smoking gun, or a secret recording of the crime, etc.

Occasionally you'll see that with jurors in some famous cases (coughcoughPhilSpector): "Well, the woman was shot with his gun in his house when they were the only two there, and she had on her coat and purse, and he has a history of violence, but there wasn't a video of him shooting her or anything, so he could be innocent."

People forget the "reasonable" part of reasonable doubt. Is it possible that a toddler could drown in a pool and her devoted grandfather would not call 911 and would lie about it? Is it possible that a totally innocent mother would, after that accident, tape her baby's mouth and throw her in the trunk of a car, then go rent movies and have sex with her boyfriend? Then cover up the kid's disappearance by lying to everyone she knew, making up fictional people, dodging her family members' phone calls, inventing crazy stories about fictional emergencies, partying with her friends while driving around with a rotting corpse in her trunk and then dumping the body in the woods? And is it possible that her father, with no acting background, is so savvy and such an amazing actor that he can appear concerned and frantic over his granddaughter's whereabouts even though he knew she had drowned in the pool?

Yes, I suppose those things are possible if you believe anything is possible, and that someone somewhere could those things. But the jurors will have to decide if that is a reasonable scenario, and IMO it isn't.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Somehow i get the feeling Casey's parents are like those parents I see at the playground now who let there kids out of anything because they're especially cute.

I mean, Casey's not really beautiful, per se. She's elfin, child-like in appearance, pretty like a little girl. Turned up nose and big eyes; Its like the whole 'spoiling the cute child' let go to see what would happen at its most extreme.

And the extreme is that she lies to get her way no matter what and kills her OWN cute child when it gets in her way then moons at mommy and daddy to save her.

And they do. Because they 'just can't help themselves.' I mean, she's their CHILD
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I think if she's not convicted and goes free, something will happen to her. Suicide, murder - something. I think lots of people feel that strongly about her guilt and are that polarized about her lack of feelings, her glaring and arrogant sociopathy that some "accident" or similar will probably rid the planet of her.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

^ Or maybe someone will kill her in jail. I've said it before but I think she's way too narcissistic to commit suicide.

I also really like the judge overseeing the trial. Yesterday he told the State to SIT DOWN and told someone else to stop talking so loud cause he's not hard of hearing. LOL. Belvin is cracking me up.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    One other thing is that Vasco's attorneys are going to have a press-conference today at 4 pm (EST).
    They last that he got a new attorney and thus they never did end up having that press conference. If he doesn't know the Anthonys and it was just misdialled calls he's prob pissed being dragged itno this and having his pic associated with this trial.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    I really don't know what to think about the trial. I feel in my gut that she is guilty and killed Caylee,...but the pros has only showed a lot of circumstantial evidence and that she is a liar. They don't have any solid proof that she did it, beyond a shadow of a doubt. And that bothers me. I sure wouldn't want to be in the jury's shoes on this one.

I guess I want them to bring out that smoking gun that makes me KNOW she did it. Hell,...it is scary that they can convict and sentence someone on just circumstantial evidence. It makes me realize that I NEVER want to be in that situation,...fighting the legal system for my life and freedom.
    A lot of times you want a smoking gun bu therhe isn tone. She got really lucky taht she partied it up for an entire month w/o calling her parents at all and that the bones wasn't found until December. Had her parents been hip to babygirl missing early or eve nif the body was found decomposing, it would have been better for the state. The thing is, eventhough there's no smoking gun, her behavior and the circumstances surrounding all of this, her lies to her family, the cops, her make believe life, the Google searches and her nonchalance... says it all to me.
    All of those things are very telling. They don't pass the smell the smell test. Just like her defense story doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    Somehow i get the feeling Casey's parents are like those parents I see at the playground now who let there kids out of anything because they're especially cute.
    Agreed. The way she was talking to her parents from jail and in jail was disgusting. If I called my mom from jail after something so crazy happened and told her not bother coming to see me or call me, that it was a waste of time talking to her, my mom would have told me "Oh it's a waste? No problem, good luck" and hung up on my ass.

She has zero respect for her parents or anyone else for that matter. Anyone who's willing to soil their family and throw them under the bus, blaming them for things they've done themselves has MAJOR MAJOR issues.

Vasco just had his press conference. He and his lawyer say he didn't even have that phone number until Feb. 09 and he doesn't know George Anthony except for seeing him on tv.

What phone #? Did he say if he ever made calls to George?

He did not own that number until Feb 09 and does not know and has never called G.A.

Thread Information