Page 24 of 102 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Casey Anthony's Trial Begins

fgg

Judge Denies Casey Anthony's Request for Acquittal
    By Michelle Tauber

Wednesday June 15, 2011 01:20 PM EDT

After the prosecution rested in the Casey Anthony trial, the judge denied a defense motion for acquittal on charges the Florida woman murdered her 2-year-old daughter Caylee.

Judge Belvin Perry said the state had presented "substantial, competent evidence for this jury," clearing the way for Anthony's lawyers to begin the defense case on Thursday.

Anthony, 25, who faces three charges including first-degree premeditated murder, expressed no reaction in the Orlando courtroom when the motion was denied.

Her attorney Cheney Mason had argued that prosecutors failed to present evidence that a murder had even occurred, premeditated or otherwise.

"There has been no evidence of premeditation," Cheney told the judge. "There has been a stacking of inferences. A stacking of speculation. No evidence."

The state, he added, established only that "the child is dead" her remains were found in 2008.

"There is no evidence to suggest when she died, where she died, how she died, who if anyone was in attendance with her when she died."

Assistant State Attorney Linda Drane Burdick countered, "It is our position that a reasonable jury can conclude that Caylee Marie Anthony died as a result of three pieces of duct tape applied to her nose and mouth, as a result of poisoning by chloroform [and] as a result of a combination of the two."

acquittal?! the whole defense team must be as delusional as casey!

I think they know there is no plausible defense, so they're throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

What in the fuck? An acquittal based on WHAT?

Read this mess. Guess they're relying on the Lindsay Lohan "The black guy did it"-defense?

Casey Anthony trial: Acquittal denied; defense introduces convict Vasco Thompson

The defense filing in court documents says Vasco Thompson is a 'recently discovered witness through the ongoing efforts of defense investigators'

By Anthony Colarossi, Orlando Sentinel 3:11 p.m. EDT, June 15, 2011

On the same day Chief Judge Belvin Perry denied a defense motion for acquittal, Casey Anthony's team introduced a new person to the murder case — an Orlando felon with a violent past.

The defense team's amended witness list now includes Vasco Thompson, an Orlando felon convicted on kidnapping charges in 1988.

Court documents show Thompson is a "recently discovered witness through the ongoing efforts of defense investigators."

Thompson, according to the filing, "was connected to George Anthony through his cell phone records." Records show four calls between Caylee's grandfather and Thompson on July 14, 2008 — a day beforeCindy Anthony reported Caylee's disappearance to theOrange County Sheriff's Office.

Vasco Thompson
    • The court records also state "Thompson has a violent criminal history and has served a ten year prison sentence for kidnapping."

Thompson refused interview attempts by the defense and called law enforcement when questioned, the document shows.

Due to the recently discovered and unexpected relationship between George Anthony and Thompson, their cellphone calls, and Thompson's "violent criminal history," the defense claims "good cause is shown for the late disclosure of this witness."

Defense attorney Cheney Mason wrote in the motion that the defense has to "depose Mr. Vasco Thompson to determine the existence of relevant admissible evidence in this trial."

It's unclear exactly how Thompson might play into the defense strategy.

George Anthony's attorney, Mark Lippman, told the Orlando Sentinel today that his client "has no idea who this person is."

Lippman said there were apparently four points of contact between the two men, but he has no idea what those calls entailed or the duration of them.

Lippman said he doesn't know if Anthony was supposedly calling Thompson or if the felon was calling Anthony.

Perry: Jury will decide

Earlier, state prosecutors rested their case this morning against Anthony. Her defense team argued for an acquittal — a move Perry denied.

"These are strictly questions for the jury to decide," Perry said. "The state has presented substantial competent evidence for this jury … to decide this particular issue."

Perry then recessed court until 9 a.m. Thursday.

Assistant State Attorney Linda Drane Burdick urged Perry to deny the request, saying a reasonable jury could determine that Caylee died due to the pieces of tape found with her skull and remains and/or chloroform poisoning.

She argued that the evidence recovered from the scene of the remains and Casey's car and computer searches conducted on the Anthony's home computer all point to pre-meditation. The searches involved chloroform, household weapons and other ways to injure people.

"This was an intentional act by the defendant intended to cause the child's death," Burdick said.

Casey Anthony trial: State rests its case against Casey Anthony - OrlandoSentinel.com

Ok but why the fuck would daddy being talking to this kidnapper / felon???

It kind of sounds like the defense has subpoenaed George Anthony's phone records, and then done a background check on all the numbers called/received to see if anyone has a criminal background.

For all we know, the guy could have worked at an impound lot, or a car repair shop, or some other place that George Anthony was in contact with.

George called this guy after Caylee was missing. If he called him prior, that would be something but I'm thinking it reeks of desperation. If Thompson were relevant, why would we just be learning of him now?
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

It reeks of "They're the black kid's pants" defense.

Maybe it was a wrong #?

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    I think the baby died of asphyxiation in the trunk while mom was out having lulz and partying. I think Casey ignored it until it couldn't be ignored and then went into pathological liar overdrive. I think she is worthless and beyond saving, not something I believe about too many people.
    This is what I've thought all along but it still amazes me to think of putting my baby in the trunk, let alone knock her out w/chloroform, & tape her mouth & nose so she can't be heard crying.. How does a mother (after partying) go to the trunk of her car to retrieve her baby? What an awful almost non-human woman she is.

Last night on NG they showed Cindy leaving the stand & as she walked by the defense she mouthed I love you to Casey.. Casey raised her eyebrows & kind of smirked then turned away.
    This was her reaction:

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

sickening

A Motion for Acquittal at the Close of State's Evidence or at the Close of All the Evidence is not unusual, actually. Almost all the trials I've worked on included one. It's pretty standard.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Can you give us your opinion on how you think the jury will vote?
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

There is absolutely no way to predict how a jury will vote. It all comes down to how and what those 12 people decide during deliberations.

Unless the Defense has something absolutely enormous up their sleeve, this bitch is as good as convicted. No way she's getting off...no way.

Course, I also said that about OJ Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    A Motion for Acquittal at the Close of State's Evidence or at the Close of All the Evidence is not unusual, actually. Almost all the trials I've worked on included one. It's pretty standard.
    This.

I work in criminal law. Also if convicted a motion for a new trial and automatic appeal are also pretty standard.

That being said, I know she killed that child. There is no evidence anywhere that shows someone else did it. However there is no physical evidence linking her to the crime either. I hope the jury doesn't come back with a manslaughter charge. (Though they might.)

If the jury comes back rather quickly that isn't a good sign for the defense, imo.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Unless the Defense has something absolutely enormous up their sleeve, this bitch is as good as convicted. No way she's getting off...no way.

Course, I also said that about OJ Simpson.
    I'd like to think she won't but the prosecution is missing some key things like cause of death and motive. The case is entirely circumstantial which isn't an automatic fail but it's not an auto win either.

My non-lawyer opinion is that the defense would have to utterly screw up for this to end up in a death sentence. Like put that bitch on the stand where she accidentally confesses.

Thread Information