Page 101 of 102 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 1527
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Casey Anthony's Trial Begins

I agree with Olivia and I also think the jury were idiots.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I can see what you're saying, I'll even buy the DA should have done a better job - but I cannot believe that she didnt even get found guilty of the child abuse/neglect. That astounds me.

Try any average Joe saying they had no clue where their child was for over 30 days & partied their ass off, stole money from several people, & lied to authorities to cover it up would get charged with child neglect?!? I find that pretty unbelievable.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

"WHO THE FUCK COVERS UP AN ACCIDENT WITH MURDER?!?!"

Great question. Why wasn't that part of the DA's summation?
    God, I hope someone on this board understands the Florida legal system and can help here, because I'm a fish out of water. I read the answer for your question on websleuths.com last year, and in summary: The opening statement Baez used - that story about Caylee drowning, George faking a murder and forcing Casey to go along with it?.. the DA could not respond to it unless the defence used this story in the trial itself. Opening statements aren't a part of the trial that can be refuted, which is why - and this is really important - the jury is instructed to NOT include opening statements in their deliberations. Judge Perry told them that. The DA couldn't raise the drowning story in summation because Baez didn't give any evidence that could be refuted in trial and then summed up on; and in Florida (I read) opening statements aren't parts of the trial the "other sides" can refute.

Baez gave a theory of an accident to the jury, but didn't present evidence because the prosecution could tear his story to pieces if he did. All it takes is a jackass or twelve who disobey instructions from the judge. All Baez needed to do was reinforce the story in his opening statement by asking several witnesses the following last question - "where you there when Caylee drowned?". Reinforcing his story, but the prosecution can't respond because the defence didn't present evidence of the story in trial. On websleuths there was a lot of commotion after the trial because some juror gave an anonymous interview saying that he believed there had been an "accident" involved in Caylee's death.

Every jury in the USA is instructed NOT to invent their own theories of the crime but to judge the theories presented.
    This jury didn't obey jury rules. For example, they requested to see a piece of evidence up close (the sticker, if I recall) during the trial. Judge Perry reminded them that they weren't supposed to be discussing the case yet. I remember the people at the websleuths.com forum being in uproar about this - wanting a mistrial and a new jury.

Part of their ire was probably because the people (at websleuths) had anticipated Judge Perry created a problem back during jury selection. For example, one juror tried to get out of jury duty by saying he had booked a cruise in a months (?) time, and Perry laughed and said (paraphrasing) "no worries, we'll be done long before then." Another juror expressed a desire to be on the jury, and at websleuths a few were saying they couldn't understand why Perry would allow for someone who showed big interest in the trial to be selected.

Anyway, then in the trial Baez kept disobeying the Judge by bringing questions to the bench just as the jury was about to be brought in, instead of a half hour before - as Perry had instructed. Baez even spoke over the Judge, and did Perry ever react to that? And then Baez trotted out defence witness after defence witness, but with no narrative of defence; those reporting on the trial called it a "spaghetti defence". He repeated questions and asked some shockers, i.e. asked the grandmother if she still believed Caylee was alive (!!!). How many times did the jury get trotted in and out of the room because Baez had another question for the judge? For almost two weeks I followed the webslueths trial threads and people were so sure Baez would be disbarred after the trial for his obvious time-wasting and disrespect to the judge.

None of Casey's friends or family would flip on her.
    None? Amy Huizenga was furious about the forged checks and sued Casey. But with the exception of the parents - who helped to cover it up after the fact - what information could Casey's other friends have offered? For example, here's the transcript of the boyfriend's interview with the cops; where is he holding back?

Casey was arrested too soon. Cops gave up looking for physical evidence in favor of interviewing anyone associated with the Anthonys (the father's mistress????? Really, she needs to testify??? I cringe for the prosecution.)
    Wait, you probably recall better than me (and google is giving me squat), but didn't Krystal Halloway out herself as George Anthony's mistress by a famewhoring tv interview about Caylee? How could the cops not interview her if she goes on tv and says that George discussed Caylee's death with her? And I thought she was a witness for the defence because George told her (as she told the reporters) that Caylee's death must have been an accident. Now I'm confused.

Ugh, I just wasted three hours of my life on this. It'll be another one of those threads where I'll go "all caps" if I don't wave a white flag and give up.

Control-Freakery « Mommy Odyssey
    Seapharris7 likes this.
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post

Wait, you probably recall better than me (and google is giving me squat), but didn't Krystal Halloway out herself as George Anthony's mistress by a famewhoring tv interview about Caylee? How could the cops not interview her if she goes on tv and says that George discussed Caylee's death with her? And I thought she was a witness for the defence because George told her (as she told the reporters) that Caylee's death must have been an accident. Now I'm confused.
    She was definitely a witness for the defense. I'm not sure she was used to promote the idea that George had said that Caylee's death was an accident, as much as she was used to undermine the credibility of George Anthony. Because it appeared -- after her testimony, that he had had an affair with her and then lied about it.
    Seapharris7 likes this.

speaking of casey anthony, i just saw an ad for the made-for-tv movie based on this bullshit, starring rob lowe as the state prosecutor. it looks epically cheesy, i can't wait.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    God, I hope someone on this board understands the Florida legal system and can help here, because I'm a fish out of water. I read the answer for your question on websleuths.com last year, and in summary: The opening statement Baez used - that story about Caylee drowning, George faking a murder and forcing Casey to go along with it?.. the DA could not respond to it unless the defence used this story in the trial itself. Opening statements aren't a part of the trial that can be refuted, which is why - and this is really important - the jury is instructed to NOT include opening statements in their deliberations. Judge Perry told them that. The DA couldn't raise the drowning story in summation because Baez didn't give any evidence that could be refuted in trial and then summed up on; and in Florida (I read) opening statements aren't parts of the trial the "other sides" can refute.

Baez gave a theory of an accident to the jury, but didn't present evidence because the prosecution could tear his story to pieces if he did. All it takes is a jackass or twelve who disobey instructions from the judge. All Baez needed to do was reinforce the story in his opening statement by asking several witnesses the following last question - "where you there when Caylee drowned?". Reinforcing his story, but the prosecution can't respond because the defence didn't present evidence of the story in trial. On websleuths there was a lot of commotion after the trial because some juror gave an anonymous interview saying that he believed there had been an "accident" involved in Caylee's death.

This jury didn't obey jury rules. For example, they requested to see a piece of evidence up close (the sticker, if I recall) during the trial. Judge Perry reminded them that they weren't supposed to be discussing the case yet. I remember the people at the websleuths.com forum being in uproar about this - wanting a mistrial and a new jury.

Part of their ire was probably because the people (at websleuths) had anticipated Judge Perry created a problem back during jury selection. For example, one juror tried to get out of jury duty by saying he had booked a cruise in a months (?) time, and Perry laughed and said (paraphrasing) "no worries, we'll be done long before then." Another juror expressed a desire to be on the jury, and at websleuths a few were saying they couldn't understand why Perry would allow for someone who showed big interest in the trial to be selected.

Anyway, then in the trial Baez kept disobeying the Judge by bringing questions to the bench just as the jury was about to be brought in, instead of a half hour before - as Perry had instructed. Baez even spoke over the Judge, and did Perry ever react to that? And then Baez trotted out defence witness after defence witness, but with no narrative of defence; those reporting on the trial called it a "spaghetti defence". He repeated questions and asked some shockers, i.e. asked the grandmother if she still believed Caylee was alive (!!!). How many times did the jury get trotted in and out of the room because Baez had another question for the judge? For almost two weeks I followed the webslueths trial threads and people were so sure Baez would be disbarred after the trial for his obvious time-wasting and disrespect to the judge.

None? Amy Huizenga was furious about the forged checks and sued Casey. But with the exception of the parents - who helped to cover it up after the fact - what information could Casey's other friends have offered? For example, here's the transcript of the boyfriend's interview with the cops; where is he holding back?

Ugh, I just wasted three hours of my life on this. It'll be another one of those threads where I'll go "all caps" if I don't wave a white flag and give up.

Don't you dare! Kat, the level of detail in everything you remember is amazing and so informative. I HOPE someone appreciates you for not only your memory but your fucking awesome analysis, professionally speaking. Jesus, I might not agree with everything or could argue further but DAMN girl you make me jump higher, think deeper and be more careful in my conclusions.

A deep and humble bow to you, darlin'.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Something new that happened today. I'm not sure why Casey Anthony's lawyers thought this was worth the time and money to litigate. Because, quite frankly, she still stands convicted of lying to police. Do only two lies make you look better than four lies? The other signficance for this story was that it appears (unless the state or Anthony appears the results to the Supreme Court), Zenaida Gonzalez's case can finally move forward. It being delayed because Casey Anthony's lawyers said that compelling her to testify in the Gonzalez civil case would violate Anthony's 5th amendment rights as they pertained to the appeal of her criminal convictions for lying. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Casey Anthony Gets Two Of Four Convictions Tossed In Appeals Court

Casey Anthony Gets Two Of Four Convictions Tossed In Appeals Court | Radar Online

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 @ 10:09AM | By Amber Goodhand, News Editor

Two of the four convictions Casey Anthony was facing for lying to authorities during the investigation into her daughter Caylee‘s disappearance were dismissed in appeals court, RadarOnline.com has learned.
    Casey’s legal team appeared on her behalf in the Fifth District Court of Appeals in Florida on January 9 to request that all four convictions be thrown out, but on Friday a panel of judges found that two of the four convictions should be tossed because they constituted double jeopardy — and she can’t be convicted twice for the same crime.
    PHOTOS: Casey Anthony Released From Jail
    However, the state argued that double jeopardy wasn’t a valid reason to reject any of the convictions because each false statement to law-enforcement was a separate offense.
    Ultimately both arguments were rejected but the appeal court found that Casey, 26, could only rightly convict her on two of the counts.

Can you guys believe this bitch is in Texas???
    Casey Anthony speaks at bankruptcy hearing - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News
    TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Appearing in public for the first time since she was acquitted of murder, Casey Anthony revealed that she doesn't have a job or a car, lives with friends and relies on unsolicited gift cards and cash to get by.
    "I guess you could say I'm living free off the kindness" of others, Anthony said at a bankruptcy hearing in Tampa.
    Anthony, 26, was acquitted of murder in July 2011 in the death of her daughter, Caylee. She was released from jail several days later and disappeared from the spotlight. At the time, she had been vilified online and elsewhere, and her attorneys said threats had been made against her.
    On Monday, dressed in a white short-sleeve top, a black skirt and black heels, she emerged from a sport utility vehicle and several dozen photographers and reporters swarmed her. When she left the courthouse, about 10 U.S. Homeland Security officers stood on the steps with guns.
    During the 50-minute long hearing, she consulted with her team of attorneys frequently. When she spoke, it was in a calm, matter-of-fact voice, and she mostly answered "yes sir" or "no sir" to the trustee's questions.
    Anthony said all of the "unsolicited" money, gift cards and donations were sent to her attorneys, who then pass them along to her. She added that her criminal attorney, Jose Baez, has given her about $3,400 in cash "to help with my living expenses."
    She refused to disclose who pays for her cell phone, with one of her attorneys saying that it was due to "safety and security concerns."
    Anthony filed for bankruptcy in January, claiming about $1,000 in assets and $792,000 in liabilities.
    Only one creditor showed up at the hearing: R. Scott Shuker, who is a lawyer for Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez.
    Fernandez-Gonzalez said her reputation was damaged by Anthony telling detectives that a baby sitter by the same name kidnapped Caylee. The detectives were investigating the 2008 disappearance of Caylee, who was found dead several months later.
    Anthony's attorney said details offered by Anthony did not match Fernandez-Gonzalez and clearly showed Anthony wasn't talking about her.
    Shuker grilled Anthony repeatedly on whether she has been approached to tell her story for a movie, book or TV deal. Anthony insisted that she has not spoken to any agent or media organization.
    Shuker said afterward that he questioned whether she was telling the truth.
    "From the smell test, it didn't smell right," he said. "Any time you see an attorney in what's supposed to be a no asset case being that active, more to the point, you had five attorneys there, allegedly none of them being paid, that's odd."
    Shuker said that his client suffers damages "to this day" because of her alleged link to the case.
    Anthony's listed debts include $500,000 for attorney fees and costs for Baez, her criminal defense lawyer during the trial; $145,660 for the Orange County Sheriff's office for investigative fees and costs; $68,540 for the Internal Revenue Service for taxes, interest and penalties; and $61,505 for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for court costs.
    Anthony had not been seen in public since she left an Orange County jail on July 16, 2011, 12 days after she was acquitted of murdering Caylee but convicted of lying to investigators and sentenced to four years in jail. With credit for the nearly three years she spent in jail since August 2008 and good behavior, she had to serve only several days when she was sentenced July 7.

During Monday's hearing, she said that in 2008 she transferred her interest in about a dozen photos to her criminal attorney, and that he sold those photos to ABC for $200,000. The money helped pay for her defense, she said.
    Anthony added that she "was asked to participate in" photos and licensed those photos to Baez. She didn't say what those photos were of, or where they eventually ended up - other than that she "posed" for them. She said she thinks Baez eventually sold, or planned to sell, those photos.

** I know the article doesn't say that she's in Texas but rumor here on the news is that she's living in Pasadena. About 30 minutes from my house. Roadtrip, anyone?**
    Brookie likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

What if you run into her at the grocery store?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Oh please have a mysterious accident befall this evil bitch.

Bwahahahahaha, serves your ass right for talking shit about Florida.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Oh, honey... she might not ever make it out of Texas. I didn't realize she might be here until a friend said "You know, that bitch is in Pasadena... kinda suprised she ain't been shot!".
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

fgg

Trustee wants to sell Casey Anthony's life story

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- The trustee overseeing Casey Anthony's bankruptcy case has filed a motion to sell the rights to her story so she can pay her debts.

In a motion filed Friday in federal court in Tampa, trustee Stephen Meininger asked Judge K. Rodney May for permission to sell the "exclusive worldwide rights" of Anthony's life story.

Anthony, who is now 26, was acquitted of murder in 2011 in the death her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee.

Anthony has never told her side of the story, despite intense media scrutiny of the case.

During a meeting with creditors in her bankruptcy case in Tampa on March 4, Anthony said she was unemployed and hasn't received any money to tell her story. She said that she is living with friends and that those friends — and strangers who send her gift cards and cash — help her survive.

But Meininger, through his attorney, said he thinks that her story has value and should be auctioned off to the highest bidder.

One man, Meininger wrote, has already offered to pay $10,000 for Anthony's life story so he can prevent her from publishing or profiting from it in the future.

Meininger points out that the man's offer is not contingent on Anthony's cooperation or participation. Anthony's life story — including details about her childhood and the disappearance and death of Caylee — is referred to as "the Property" in the motion.

"Due to the intense public interest in Debtor and the Property, the Trustee believes that there will be interest from others in purchasing the Property," the motion reads.

An auction, with bidding, is the "best way to maximize the value for the Estate and its creditors."

A call to David Schrader, Anthony's bankruptcy attorney, was not immediately returned.

One New York publisher said Monday that Anthony's story has the potential to be worth seven figures.

"If she had the goods, and she was really going to spill the beans of what happened, particularly if she's not guilty, that's pretty big," said Eric Kampmann, the owner of Beaufort Books. "If she knew who the murderer was for example, that would be huge. That would be the biggest news story of the year."

Kampmann, who said he has been in contact with a member of Anthony's legal team but has no deal in place, is no stranger to controversial books. His publishing house reissued OJ Simpson's book, originally scheduled for release by ReganBooks, an imprint of HarperCollins. But "If I Did It" was dropped in response to widespread outrage. ReganBooks founder Judith Regan was later fired and her imprint disbanded.

A federal bankruptcy judge then awarded rights to the book to the family of murder victim Ronald Goldman to help satisfy a $38 million wrongful death judgment against Simpson.

Kampmann said enough time has passed since Anthony's trial that her story could be marketable.

Anthony filed for bankruptcy in Florida in late January, claiming about $1,000 in assets and $792,000 in liabilities. Court papers list Anthony as unemployed, with no recent income.

Her listed debts include $500,000 for attorney fees and costs for Jose Baez, her criminal defense lawyer during the trial; $145,660 for the Orange County Sheriff's office for investigative fees and costs; $68,540 for the Internal Revenue Service for taxes, interest and penalties; and $61,505 for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for court costs.

The filling also states that she is a defendant in several lawsuits.

Trustee wants to sell Casey Anthony's life story

video at the link.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Fuck her.

Actually, I think that's good news. I figured she was keeping quiet until the bankruptcy was finalized so she could cash in afterwards. This pretty much guarantees she won't see a dime from any book deal. Right?
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Thread Information