Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: British woman Lindsay Sandiford sentenced to death for drug trafficking

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    This sort of thing is yet another reason why drugs should be legalized everywhere.
    On a different note, a 56 year old is now considered an old lady?
    No, 56 is not old, but being a grandmother is definitely the angle the newspaper and her defense is using to make her seem more hapless and innocent. Along with what A*O said about people thinking they're above foreign laws, either she or the people she's connected to probably thought at least once that no one would suspect a dear old granny of smuggling drugs.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Lindsay Sandiford: Bali court upholds death sentence for smuggling cocaine

Briton convicted of drug smuggling has 14 days to take case to Indonesian supreme court after having appeal rejected

Lindsay Sandiford, who was sentenced to death in January after police said they found 4kg cocaine in her suitcase lining. Photograph: Sonny Tumbelaka/AFP/Getty Images

A British woman convicted of smuggling 1.6m of cocaine into Bali will be executed, an Indonesian court has said, despite appeals for her life to be saved. A Bali high court spokesman announced on Monday that it had rejected an appeal from Lindsay June Sandiford, 56.
    She was arrested for drug trafficking in May last year after local police said they found almost 4kg of cocaine in the lining of her suitcase. In January she was sentenced by a district court to face a firing squad .
    The court spokesman said the latest verdict was decided last week. Sandiford has 14 days to appeal to the national supreme court. If the appeal fails, she could ask the president for clemency. Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has commuted sentences for four drug offenders on death row since he took office in 2004.
    Three other Britons were involved in the plot to smuggle drugs into Bali. Julian Ponder, 43, was jailed for six years in January and fined the equivalent of 65,000 after being convicted of cocaine possession. His lawyers said he was told Sandiford was delivering a present for his child's birthday and, when he met her to receive the gift, police officers arrested him.
    Ponder's partner, Rachel Dougall, 38, from Brighton, received a one-year jail sentence last month. She had been in jail for eight months awaiting trial and could be reunited with her daughter this month. Paul Beales, a property developer and long-time Bali resident, was also spared a harsh sentence: judges gave him four years for possession of a small amount of hashish.
    The UK government said it was disappointed that Sandiford had lost her appeal. A spokesperson for the Foreign Office reiterated the UK's opposition to the death penalty.
    "We are disappointed to hear that Lindsay Sandiford's appeal has been refused by the high court in Bali," said the spokesperson. "The UK strongly opposes the death penalty and has repeatedly made representations to the Indonesian government on this matter. We will continue to provide consular assistance at this difficult time."

Lindsay Sandiford: Bali court upholds death sentence for smuggling cocaine | World news | The Guardian

^ I'm other sure why but I'm a little surprised by that.

This seems so much more harsh than others. She looks scared. No wonder.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

You honestly couldn't pay me enough to go there.

She's an idiot (as is everyone who tries to pull this shit) but I feel sorry for her. The sentence is so ridiculous, but everyone knows how harsh they are about drug trafficking there so it's not like you don't know the risks when you do it.
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    She couldn't being doing more than the government is doing to itself. See, nothing makes me not want to visit a place more than knowing you could be put to death for a drug crime. Someone puts some shit in your bag without your knowledge and you're looking at the business end of a rifle? Pass.
    Seriously. I would think that costs them a lot in tourism. Not very smart, but it's been working for them so far so I guess they see no reason to change their tune at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Almost 5kg is a LOT of coke. What kind of shady people were she or her son(s) mixing with to set this whole smuggling /blackmail thing up in the first place. Everyone knows the Balinese have a zero tolerance approach and very harsh punishments. Being a helpless little old lady isn't a defence.
    I guess they thought it might be...pretty naive.

Still, I'm gobsmacked by the death sentence. That's astonishing. (And people say Florida is harsh....)
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information