Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Body of missing Tracy, California girl found in suitcase

Manteca Woman Mistaken For Suspected Cantu Killer

Manteca Woman Mistaken For Suspected Cantu Killer - cbs5.com

The murder of Sandra Cantu has changed the life of a Manteca woman and her family. She's been getting death threats because her name is Melissa Huckaby.

This particular woman has been getting calls from national talk shows, threats on her MySpace page and when she went to church yesterday, fellow parishioners who are police officers even brought guns just in case she needed to be protected.

The Tracy woman accused of kidnapping and murdering eight-year-old Sandra Cantu shares a name with a Manteca woman, who is a mother of two and former Tracy resident herself.

"They hear the name and a lot of people think it's me," said Manteca resident, Melissa Huckaby.

Melissa's MySpace page has been confused for the accused killers, so she had to remove her page.

"I was getting hate mail," she said.

Even her yearbook photo from West High School has been mistaken.

Former co-workers of Melissa 'Lawless' Huckaby even "confirmed" that Melissa's photo from the yearbook was that of the suspected killer. They were wrong.

But even Melissa admits that the similarities are strange. They're both 28-years-old, Sunday school teachers, and at a quick glance resemble each other. Also, Melissa 'Lawless' Huckaby is accused of killing the eight-year-old playmate of her five-year-old daughter, and Melissa has two daughters who are eight-years-old and five-years-old.

Despite the similarities, while Melissa 'Lawless' Huckaby has theft on her record and is now accused of kidnapping and murder, Melissa said she's never even had a speeding ticket.

The Manteca Huckaby's say they're afraid to send condolences to the Cantu family because of the name confusion. Melissa said there are no words to describe just how horrible it feels to be linked to and persecuted for such a crime – one that she had absolutely no connection to.

That sucks. I know with my name as unusual as I think it is there are many with the same name around the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    That whole scenario seems totally plausible, Bellini. But would that mean she did something to Sandra post-mortem? Now that idea is even sicker...
    I heard someone speculating this on the news, too.

It gets sicker:

Tracy parents asked to come forward if inappropriate contact is suspected

By Mike Martinez
    San Joaquin Herald
    Posted: 04/15/2009 05:26:33 PM PDT
    Updated: 04/16/2009 08:27:20 AM PDT

TRACY — Police on Wednesday asked parents who believe their child may have been inappropriately contacted by Melissa Huckaby to come forward, even as the city braces for what may be Tracy's largest public memorial service ever for the girl Huckaby is accused of killing.
    Tracy Police Sgt. Tony Sheneman said police are asking parents to come forward as a precautionary measure. He said no one has yet to come forward.
    Huckaby, 28, has been charged with murder and three special circumstances — kidnapping, lewd or lascivious acts and rape by a foreign object — in connection with the death of 8-year-old Sandra Cantu, who was laid to rest Wednesday in a private service for her family.
    Thousands are expected to pay their respects to Sandra at a public memorial scheduled for 1 p.m. today inside the gymnasium at West High School, 1775 W. Lowell Ave. Sound will also be pumped into the football stadium for an anticipated overflow crowd.
    "We are happy to be able to provide our facility for such an important service," said Jessica Wakefield, spokeswoman for Tracy Unified School District. "We hope it can be a day the community can remember one of our students. Our heartfelt sympathies go out to her family."
    Thousands are expected to attend, along with a throng of reporters and television stations from Sacramento, San Francisco and Fresno carrying the event live on television and the Internet.
    The funeral, scheduled to last an hour, is expected to lead to street closures around the school before and after the services with the high school's parking lot having spaces for about 700 vehicles.

Sheneman said the No. 2 lane and the bike lane on Lowell Avenue will be closed to moving traffic and available for parking.
    Parking is also available at the Institute of Global Commerce and Government, 1904 N. Corral Hollow Road, where a footpath leads to West High.
    Among the dignitaries making an appearance at the services are U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer, State Attorney General Jerry Brown, and Tracy Mayor Brent Ives. Tracy police are also providing a security detail for the elected officials and Sandra's family members.
    The public is expected to be allowed into the gym, which seats about 3,000, around noon. Cindy Sasser, the principal of Jacobson Elementary School, where Sandra was a second-grader, and her aunt Angie Chavez, are scheduled to provide the eulogies followed by a video presentation and a moment of silence.
    "This is as important to the community as finding Sandra's killer was to us," Sheneman said. "This is an important aspect of the healing process and we want to make sure it's done right."
    On Wednesday, Sandra's casket was carried by a horse-drawn carriage to the Tracy Mausoleum following a private service at Fry Memorial Chapel.
    Sandra's family reported her missing on March 27. The girl's body was found in a black suitcase in an irrigation pond near Whitehall Road on April 6. A few days later, Huckaby — who lived just down the street from Sandra's family in the Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park — told members of the media she had a similar suitcase stolen from her driveway the day Sandra disappeared.
    Huckaby was arrested April 10. If convicted, Huckaby could spend her life in prison or become one of a handful of women on death row in California.
    Sheneman declined to comment Wednesday on reports Huckaby tried to kill herself by swallowing box-cutting blades the day Sandra's body was found. Huckaby's family has said the Sunday school teacher and mother of a 5-year-old daughter was hospitalized for ulcers.
    "HIPAA (The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) prohibits me from speaking about anyone's medical condition," Sheneman said. "In fact, it would be insensitive for me to speak about anyone's medical condition."

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_12150433

Thousands Pay Respects To Sandra Cantu

TRACY, Calif. (AP) ―

Thousands of people including friends, family, supporters, and prominent California, filled the auditorium of Tracy's West High School auditorium and an overflow room Thursday afternoon to remember 8-year-old Sandra Cantu.

The auditorium was filled to its capacity of 8,000 spectators who came to pay their respects to Sandra. Hundreds more were seated in a nearby overflow room and stadium.

Attendees stood quietly as Sandra's parents entered the auditorium separately and, while flanked by family members, took their seats on the front row.

An outpouring of community support could be seen by the many t-shirts that attendees wore that bore Sandra's image. The family of Daniel Cantu's, Sandra's father, was dressed almost all in black. His shirt read: "You Are Free" across his shoulders, with pictures of Sandra underneath.

CHP Chaplain Don Higgins conducted the hour-long services and offered the opening and closing remarks. Sen. Barbara Boxer also spoke. She said crimes against children are a crime against humanity, and ended her remarks by quoting lyrics to a song performed by Celine Dion, "Fly."

State Attorney General Jerry Brown also spoke. He was followed by Tracy Mayor Brent Ives, City Councilman Steve Abecrombie, the principal at Sandra's elementary school, Cindy Sasser, and Tracy Police Chief Janet Thiessen .

Thiessen urged people to reach out to those whose lives have been changed by tragedy.

Sandra's aunt, Angie Chavez, spoke next and thanked the long list of individuals, businesses and law enforcement agencies who worked to find Sandra.

"Without you, it would have been much worse," she said.

Chavez also thanked the media for being respectful of the family's privacy and for sharing their hearts.

Several dozen people, including family, friends and some police officers who've worked on the case, gathered Wednesday for a private funeral for Sandra. A horse-drawn carriage then carried the casket to the Tracy Mausoleum.

Sandra's burial came a day after her alleged killer, 28-year-old Melissa Huckaby, was arraigned on a murder charge with the special circumstances of kidnapping and sexual assault. The woman lived down the street from the Cantu family and is the mother of one of Sandra's playmates.

Police have not said how, where or why Huckaby may have killed the little girl, whose body was found April 6 stuffed in a suitcase that was pulled from an irrigation pond about two miles from home.

http://cbs13.com/local/sandra.cantu.....2.986242.html

video at site and other articles

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

hoping she didnt suffer

I want to know what this stupid bitch's motive was.

Will never be able to undersatnd how someone can harm a child. They are so trusting of adults when in their care. It is horrible.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

no, there's no understanding it. its impossible. whats mind-boggling is that this bitch is a mother too!

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

I'm still so stunned by the charges. It occurred to me too that the rape with a foreign instrument had to have happened while she was alive, otherwise they would have charged her commiting indignities to a human body (actually--is that a charge in the States?--it is here)
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

I've read *rumours* that she drugged the girl. I hope that is true, so that the girl didn't know what was happening.

I cannot find words to express the disgust and absolute sadness i feel reading about this case. Monsters don't have to be scary looking to be pure evil.

This is awful, I hadn't heard anything about this story until I read it here. Poor little girl.
    Rest in Peace my beautiful little Bonnie

07/01/92 - 12/03/09

Quote Originally Posted by t13nif View Post
    I'm still so stunned by the charges. It occurred to me too that the rape with a foreign instrument had to have happened while she was alive, otherwise they would have charged her commiting indignities to a human body (actually--is that a charge in the States?--it is here)
    I had not thought about that but you are probably right. They'd charge her with some sort of indecency to a corpse. Ick!
    They must have discovered the rape through an autopsy, right?

SICK woman! On the news they said the murderer has changed her story 5 times now.

I think you're right, there are laws about desecrating human corpses.

I would hope that if anything, the little girl was drugged out of her mind to not experience what was happening to her. I keep asking why and what motive and I cannot think of a single reason, other than the bitch is crazy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Did Alleged Killer of Sandra Cantu Abduct Another Little Girl?

By Howard Breuer
    Originally posted Monday April 20, 2009 06:30 PM EDT
    Sandra Cantu Photo by: Landov
    Sandra Cantu may not have been the first young girl that accused killer Melissa Huckaby abducted at her Tracy, Calif., mobile home park.

Her hometown newspaper, the Tracy Press, reports that police there learned in January of a woman who allegedly led a 7-year-old girl from the Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park to a nearby park, kept her there for four hours and gave her drugs.

Drugs in Her System

The report says that the girl's family then took her to the hospital, where doctors found benzodiazepines (a class of drugs that includes Valium and Librium) in her bloodstream. The newspaper reports that the suspect in the case drove the same type of car as Huckaby – a purple Kia Sportage – and that police have now tied that incident to Huckaby.

Tracy police Sgt. Tony Sheneman tells PEOPLE that he has heard about the report, but he cannot comment on it. He says that all police reports linked to Huckaby are now under seal.

Huckaby, a Sunday school teacher and the granddaughter of a local pastor, is due back in court April 24 to enter a plea to charges that she killed Sandra Cantu, 8, who played with Huckaby's 5-year-old daughter on March 27. Huckaby allegedly stuffed Cantu's body into a suitcase that was dumped in a nearby agricultural pond, then reported the suitcase stolen.

Exhume Remains?

Huckaby is also charged with rape with a foreign object. Sheneman tells PEOPLE that before Huckaby enters her plea, the court will rule on her lawyer's request to exhume Cantu's body for a week so defense expert Dr. Terri Haddix can examine the remains and testify on the rape allegation.

"I believe and allege such an examination is extremely crucial and material to Ms. Huckaby's defense," Huckaby’s lawyer, San Joaquin County deputy public defender Sam Behar wrote in his motion.

Did Alleged Killer of Sandra Cantu Abduct Another Little Girl? : People.com

This is just mind-boggling. Its so odd for a woman to commit such crimes. This woman needs to be studied before she's put down.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information