Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Bizarre/unsolved mysteries

Oakland County, Michigan Child Killings 1976-77

Oakland County, Michigan Child Killings 1976-77
    Police ask for help in reopening 1970s Oakland child killer cases Saturday, February 19, 2005 OAK PARK -- Authorities are reviving an investigation into the unsolved killings of four children in the 1970s that terrified suburban Detroit. Police asked Friday for anyone with information on the deaths to report it to police, and said they would begin reanalyzing evidence and leads using more advanced computer databases and forensic techniques than had been available. "It's now time to double our efforts and we need your help," state police Detective Sgt. Garry Gray said. Investigators' last big lead fell apart in November 2000, when DNA from the exhumed body of a suspect failed to match the genetic material in a hair found on one of the suffocated children. The bodies of two boys and two girls were found suffocated after they were missing for a period ranging from 3 to 19 days. Two had been raped and one was also shot in the face with a shotgun. Between February 1976 and March 1977, 11-year-old Timothy King, 12-year-old Mark Stebbins, 12-year-old Jill Robinson and 10-year-old Kristine Mihelich were killed. Investigators moved the five file cabinets and 15 boxes containing the case files to Oak Park from state police 2nd District Headquarters in Northville so detectives and forensics experts can go back and review evidence. What has become known as the "Oakland County Child Killer" case horrified the area, where parents feared to let their children out of their sight. All the children were abducted from suburban business areas. Investigators have said the exhumed man, David Norbert of Wyoming, was not ruled out as a suspect. He had a necklace inscribed with the first name of one of the children, and his wife, who provided his alibis, later recanted. Detroit News

I remember these happening when I was about 3 or 4 and lived in Ferndale, Michigan. My mom still has the button all the parents wore that said "Save the Children." I've always been fascinated with this kind of thing. Glad to know I'm in good company.

I cannot find anything in English so I try write down the case of Werner Ferrari. It was a really shocking case. During that time I was a child and kind of his "predator pattern". My parents - all parents - were so scared, I can still remember.

And I hope my English is not tooooo bad. You know, it's not my mother language.

Werner Ferrari, born on December 28th 1946 murdered 4 children in Switzerland. He abducted or lured them away from fairs and strangled them later.

In Reinach he killed 1971 10 year old Daniel Schwan. He get caught and was jailed for 8 years (!). He even could leave jail earlier because of "good behaviour".

Between May 1980 and August 1989 eleven children between 6 and 14 years were abducted. Eight of them were found brutally murdered; three others are still missing: Peter Roth, 8 years old, Sarah Oberson, 6 years old and Edit Trittenbass, 9 years old.

It took almost 10 years to find the scary child murderer.

Four days after the last murder - Fabienne Imhof, 9 years old - Werner Ferrari called the police to tell them he had nothing to do with her death. Hours later he gets arrested in his appartment in Olten. He confessed four homicides.

But the most upsetting part about the whole story is the murder of Ruth Steinmann. They found her body in a forest on May 16th, 1980. Werner Ferrari always claimed he had nothing to do with her death. They also did lie detector tests and he passed them. But of course - nobody beliefed him.
    1995 he was sentenced to life imprisonment.

Seven years later, the journalist and writer Peter Holenstein found evidence showing Ferrari was not the one who murdered Ruth Steinmann.
    He ordered a DNA analysis from a genital hair which was found on the body of Ruth. The result was distructive: It was not Ferrari's DNA.

It didn't had any impact of Ferrari's sentence of course. But it lead to the next big question: who was it?

They found bite marks on the body of Ruth. A medical estimate proved the bit marks didn't belong to Ferrari but to a man who died in 1982 (suicide). Case closed, because the murderer is dead? Not yet.

In this time, when the whole case was again in all newspapers, radio and tv stations, a woman went to the police and told them, she was an eye witness when Ruth died. She told them she was the same age as Ruth and was a good friend of her, and she was even with Ruth the day she died. They were harrassed by two men and abducted to a forest (where they found the body of Ruth). I cannot remember what she said, if she could escape or if she somehow survived. All I know is she never went to the police because she was so scared of the two men. And at a point she was in psychiatric therapy.

And the main problem: The whole case was time-barred! It was too late for the woman to go to the police.

I remember how appalled I was. Time-barred! It was 20 years ago, not 150 years!
    Noone catched the second committer. Because she couldn't do a witness statement.

So somewhere this guy is still around, maybe he even killed the other children Ferrari didn't confess. And I think noone will ever know. I feel so bad for all the families with the murdered children and the missed ones.

Neubeurteilung ans Bezirksgericht Baden zurück. In der Folge wurde ein der Tat an Ruth Steinmann Verdächtigter, der 1982 in Wolfhalden AR Suizid beging, exhumiert. Ein zahnmedizinisches Gutachten des Wissenschaftlichen Dienstes der Stadtpolizei Zürich ergab, dass die Bissspuren am Körper des Mädchens mit Sicherheit nicht von Ferrari, sondern vom 1982 gestorbenen Mann stammten. In einem landesweit beachteten Revisionsprozess wurde Werner Ferrari am 10. April 2007 vom Bezirksgericht Baden für den Mord an Ruth Steinmann für unschuldig befunden und freigesprochen; er bleibt jedoch wegen der vier anderen Fälle inhaftiert.

^ Maybe Ferrari was the accomplice to her murder?

Anyone growing up in the 60s or 70s in Australia will have heard of the missing Beaumont Children:

The Beaumont Children

The disappearance of the Beaumont children in Adelaide in 1966 has become part of Australian folklore. Nobody under the age of 40 was alive when it happened, but few Australians today have not heard of the children. The disappearance is a tragedy that has become a cultural landmark in modern Australian history.

In Brief

Jane, Arnna and Grant Beaumont left their home at 10am on 26 January 1966, to go to a beach. From their home in the Adelaide suburb of Somerton Park they caught a bus to nearby Glenelg beach. They were expected to return home on the noon bus, but didn't.

Between the time the children left home and the time that they should have left the beach to return, they were seen by at least seven people. Five of these people saw the children with a man, but the last, a postman, saw nobody with them.
    Neither the children nor the man were seen again. In the following days and weeks a massive search was mounted for the children. Nothing was found.

A psychic named Gerard Croiset became involved, but despite massive publicity he failed to locate the children. He declared that their bodies were under the concreted floor of a warehouse. They weren't.
    Two years after the disappearance of their children, the Beaumonts received a letter written in a hand similar to that of Jane, their elder daughter. Mr Beaumont was supposed to meet "The Man" for the return of his children, but "The Man" never appeared and nor did the children. Other leads have also proven false.

On Saturday, 25 August 1973, Joanne Ratcliffe and Kirste Gordon were abducted from Adelaide Oval in Adelaide and disappeared without trace. The description of their abductor closely matches that of the suspect in the Beaumont children disappearance.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    ^ Maybe Ferrari was the accomplice to her murder?
    the woman who was with Ruth claimed it wasn't Ferrari because the two men were much younger than him.

Ferrari has multiple personality and psychologists, doctors and experts said one of his personalities always told the truth, told everything what happened. So it was really weird he never confessed the one with Ruth. His victims all looked kind of alike, and were all abducted from fairs, and always alone. It just didn't fit in his schema.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

THE TRUTH: June 2009
    this is great

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY02Qkuc_f8[/youtube]
    im confused by this video^ but i was watching w/ the sound off

also thats sad about the Princes of the Tower but royalty is fucked up so its not surprising

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    This one was interesting, it was mentioned on cracked.com's website (urban legends you didn't know were true)

Phone calls from a dead Metrolink train crash victim? | Ghost Theory

Los Angeles Metrolink crash of September 2008

Could this have been a phone call from the other side? or is it just technology gone haywire? For years, the “phone calls from the dead” phenomenon has been a thing of urban legends. Paranormal cases that involve ghostly phone calls are just reports, never official recordings or actual proof that they were indeed made from the departed. One thing is for certain, the calls were made to loved ones and the calls were made all night up until the discovery of the body. To all those on board that doomed train, rest in peace.
    I believe this myself; i have heard about it before for years like they say and w/ all kinds of technology; whether it was old-fashioned phones or cell. and its so sad nonetheless, but at least he died instantly. such a sad story that crash was
    Last edited by AliceInWonderland; October 7th, 2010 at 06:17 PM.

My fiancee has banned me from re-reading this thread late at night(I get freakked out), but it is one of my favorites. So bump!

For some reason the Cindy James case and the Kaz II frreak me out the most.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah thanks for the bump

There's an unsolved case I keep thinking of because I drive past the site all the time. There's a highrise condo development that is fenced, gated, has security cameras, guards and a gatehouse. Everyone going in or out is monitored 24 hours a day. All guests must be approved by a resident. Three years ago on the tenth floor, a retired tax judge, his wife and a neighbour from another apartment were tied to chairs, gagged and then beaten to death. Alban Garon, 77, his 73-year-old wife, Raymonde, and neighbour, Marie-Claire Bniskos, 78, were found dead on June 30, 2007. Nobody saw or heard anything. Nobody was seen entering or leaving. No suspects. Three years ago, $100,000 reward. No leads. Two days before the killings, the the wife had told friends that some man had come to the door without them buzzing him in claiming to be a delivery man but then said he had forgotten his package and would return. The building still advertises it's security as a selling point.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

^it is so cowardly to murder defenseless elderly people. I wonder if the apartment was soundproofed and that's why no one heard anything. Or else someone did hear or see something and aren't talking. Tax judges must make a lot of enemies. Maybe was a professional hit? Do you know how they were killed twitchy?

Beaten to death. They don't think it had anything to do with his former job. Motive is one giant mystery and the other is access to the apartment.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Hmm, a high tech building locked door mystery?

I've always wanted to know what happened to the Bender family.
    Bloody Benders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^wow. Beating 3 people to death? No matter how old they are, it would seem to me that would make a lot of noise. Unless there was more than one killer to subdue them. Maybe the suspicious delivery guy had a partner working security inside the building area? Or someone to erase surveillence tapes? I'm sure I'm not thinking of stuff the police haven't already thought of, I just can't help but wonder about it.

Sorry, I didn't read the part in the original post where it said "tied to chairs, gagged and then beaten to death." I thought I doublechecked it before I asked.

edit
    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Hmm, a high tech building locked door mystery?

I've always wanted to know what happened to the Bender family.
    Bloody Benders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I never heard about that family before but I will definitely be having nightmares about them now after reading the link. (a smiley emoticon just doesn't seem appropriate, does it? lol)

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Beaten to death. They don't think it had anything to do with his former job. Motive is one giant mystery and the other is access to the apartment.
    Another resident going postal about a about a barking dog or something?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Sounds like some Paranormal Activity shit right there. Creepy.

They did a story about Kate Bender on Deadly Women. Very interesting.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Sounds like some Paranormal Activity shit right there. Creepy.

They did a story about Kate Bender on Deadly Women. Very interesting.
    I read all the stories I could find on the net. What show is Deadly Women? Is that a US show? I thought Kate Bender was the most interesting. They seem to think she was the mastermind behind all of it.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information