Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Bizarre/unsolved mysteries

Creepy. I can report that even a decade later, my bff and I were too creeped out to go to Wheaton by ourselves, but it was th e only place we knew of with affordable formal wear. Its amazing they finally got the bastards pinned down.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Creepy. I can report that even a decade later, my bff and I were too creeped out to go to Wheaton by ourselves, but it was th e only place we knew of with affordable formal wear. Its amazing they finally got the bastards pinned down.
    It's still really creepy for me - especially because my kids are now exactly the same ages (10 and 12) as the Lyons sisters when they disappeared.

My mom used hammer my brother and me constantly about this case when we were little. I was 9 and my brother was 5 when the abductions happened. And our parents took us to that mall all the time. Had pizza all the time at the last place the Lyons sisters were seen (Orange Bowl). I am VERY interested in knowing what new evidence the police have that have led them to be confident enough to finally bring charges.

Me too because since there are no bodies there is no DNA evidence.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

This is amazing! I can't believe it. This case has haunted Marylanders for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    10 More Mysteries That Remain Unsolved - Listverse
    There can be no denying it – the unsolved mysteries lists are amongst the most popular on the site. Fortunately for us there are still millions of them to write about. The only problem now is finding new titles for the lists! For those that may be interested in the previous lists of mysteries, here they are:

9 Katz II

In 2007, the 12-metre catamaran, the Kaz II, was discovered unmanned off the coast of Queensland, northeast Australia in April. The yacht, which had left Airlie Beach on Sunday 15 April, was spotted about 80 nautical miles (150 km) off Townsville, near the outer Great Barrier Reef on the following Wednesday. When boarded on Friday, the engine was running, a laptop was running, the radio and GPS were working and a meal was set to eat, but the three-man crew were not on board. All the sails were up but one was badly shredded, while three life jackets and survival equipment, including an emergency beacon, were found on board. Investigators recovered a video recording that showed footage taken by the crew shortly before their disappearance. The footage showed nothing abnormal.

8 The Cando Event

The Cando event was an explosion that occurred in the village of Cando, Spain, in the morning of January 18, 1994. There were no casualties in this incident, which has been described as being like a small Tunguska event. Witnesses claim to have seen a fireball in the sky lasting for almost one minute. A possible explosion site was established when a local resident called the University of Santiago de Compostela to report an unknown gouge in a hillside close to the village. Up to 200 m³ of terrain was missing and trees were found displaced 100 m down the hill. The mystery became fertile ground for conspiracy theories that point to military or “alien activities”.

7 Surrey Puma

From the 1960s on, a mysterious black cat resembling a puma has been seen in and around south western Surrey in England. It was seen a number of times by locals and also by government officials. In 1963 a sighting by a policeman sparked further interest in the subject and one year later an ox was found mutilated by a large creature. Over 300 reports of the black cat were received by the police in one year alone. Speculation and interest dwindled again until another policeman caught the cat on film in the same year as a massive paw print was discovered.

6 The Bloop

The Bloop is the name given to an ultra-low frequency underwater sound detected by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration several times during the summer of 1997. The source of the sound remains unknown. According to the NOAA description, it “rises rapidly in frequency over about one minute and was of sufficient amplitude to be heard on multiple sensors, at a range of over 5,000 km.” According to scientists who have studied the phenomenon it matches the audio profile of a living creature but there is no known animal that could have produced the sound. If the sound did come from an animal, it would reportedly have to be several times the size of the largest known animal on Earth. You can listen to the bloop here.

5 The Lead Masks Case

The Lead Masks Case refers to the discovery of the bodies of two electronic technicians in Brazil in 1966. The bodies were found in a field wearing impermeable coats and lead masks (usually used to protect against radiation – pictured above). Even stranger was the discovery of a small notebook beside the bodies with signs and numbers, and a letter in which was written: “16:30 be at the agreed place. 18:30 swallow capsules, after effect protect metals wait for the mask sign”. A waitress who was the last to see them alive said that one of them looked very nervous and kept glancing at his watch. There were no obvious injuries on the bodies. Gracinda Barbosa Cortino de Souza and her children, who lived next to the hill where the men died, claimed that they had seen a UFO flying over the spot at the exact moment the detectives believed the two men must have died.

4 The Grinning Man

The Grinning Man is a mysterious man who has been sighted during heightened UFO encounters as well as during the 1960s Mothman sightings. Two young eyewitnesses said he turned and looked at them with a permanent grin on his face. According to the men who interviewed the boys: “[t]he man was over six feet tall, they agreed, and was dressed in a sparkling green coverall costume that shimmered and seemed to reflect the street lights. There was a wide black belt around his waist.” The boys also said “He had a very dark complexion, and little round eyes…real beady…set far apart.” The most frightening and bizarre aspect of the encounter is the fact that “They could not remember seeing any hair, ears, or nose

2 Taman Shud Case

In 1948 the body of a man was found on Somerton beach in Adelaide, Australia. The man was never identified. Police found a suitcase which they believed was his containing clothing in which all but three items had their name tags removed. The name on the remaining items pointed them to a man who was later identified as not being the dead man. A small note in the man’s pocket said “taman shud” which is the last line of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. It had been cut from a book. A doctor seeing the note on the TV contacted police to say that the book had appeared in the backseat of his unlocked car. It was the copy that had had the note removed. In the back of the book were coded markings which have not been able to be deciphered as yet:
    MRGOABABD
    MTBIMPANETP
    MLIABOAIAQC
    ITTMTSAMSTGAB
    A name in the front of the book led police to a woman who said she had given it to a man named Boxall during the Second World War. Upon seeing a plaster cast of the dead man she identified him as Boxall. This appeared to solve the mystery of who the man was, until Boxall was discovered alive with his copy of the book undamaged. Coincidentally the woman who identified the man lived in Glenelg – the last town visited by the dead man before he travelled by bus to his final destination. The woman asked police not to record her name as she was married and wanted to avoid scandal – they foolishly complied and her identity is now also unknown. This is considered to be one of Australia’s most profound mysteries. Wikipedia has extensive information on this fascinating case here.
    There is an update on the Taman Shud case involving some DNA.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/danvergano/...K7g#.qaAB10A5v

Part of the article below:

Now, after nearly seven decades, DNA has turned up some answers — and more questions. A forensic scientist in California has discovered a genetic link that pinpoints the man’s origins to the US East Coast, with growing hopes that additional searches will uncover closer relatives, and finally give the man a name. The scientist, Colleen Fitzpatrick, will present these results next week at the International Symposium on Human Identificationin Minneapolis.
    “DNA is going to make the ultimate difference in this case,” Fitzpatrick, a forensic genealogist with Identifinders International in Fountain Valley, California, told BuzzFeed News. “We are getting closer to an answer.”

That Taman Shud case still gets to me, but I find it encouraging that they may be closer to giving this man a name.

From the Buzzfeed article:

“Perhaps if you took away anyone’s ID and left only a few clues behind, we’d all seem extraordinary and mysterious,” Abbott said.

This is true, and my brain knows it, but it still leaves me feeling very unsettled when I read about missing persons cases.

The final DNA twist in the Somerton Man case comes from Abbott himself. In 2010, after meeting Rachel, the suspected granddaughter of the Somerton Man, he fell in love. “This is how I met my wife,” he said, with a somewhat bemused air. “It just kind of happened.”
    Today, they have three children, all of whom may carry some of the genes of the Somerton Man.
    “It’s one of those crazy things,” he said. “Life is sometimes stranger than fiction.”
    That is crazy! It really does sound like something out of a book, but weirdly some happiness seems to have come out of this strange story.

Lately, I've been listening to creepy stories on YouTube when I'm doing other stuff. It's kind of hard for me since I am a terrible listener (as opposed to reading or watching), but there are some interesting stories on there about horror stories, unsolved murders, the deep web (which are way more horrifying than just about everything), etc. For ex.:

I also just find something called Mysterious 5 which is just an entire channel of creepy unexplained stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl6...7EDCNTB8Y-ICiQ
    Sarzy and Seapharris7 like this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

^ I do the same thing ,I have probably watched 10 just this afternoon
    Waterslide likes this.

And there are so many stories that I've never even heard before. They're usually short, but a nice springboard for googling further. There are a few channels that I think some of the stories aren't so much true crime or horror, but kind of made up, but just as creepy.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

I just found this thread! So much Googling

And this is a local unsolved murder:

Family's heartbreak never quits 20 years after Kathleen Suckley's killing

Sadly her son also died, his family believes because his mother's murder haunted him. Its a pretty scary no one has been caught
    Waterslide likes this.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

^that story is so heartbreaking. I can't imagine that boy going through his whole life feeling that kind of needless guilt day in and day out. The part about Halloween really got to me.

I don't think I'm familiar with the story, but I'm curious if there is more about the actual murder if I were to google it. Like I've said a million times it feels like, missing persons and unsolved murders really get to me. Kind of OT, and I know someone mentioned it in one of the movie/TV threads, but I recently watched Who Took Johnny? and that was another hard one to figure out.
    ~Manx Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I don't think I'm familiar with the story, but I'm curious if there is more about the actual murder if I were to google it. Like I've said a million times it feels like, missing persons and unsolved murders really get to me.
    This is link with more detail about the murder

Homicide---Kathleen Suckley, Apr. 8, 1993 | In Memory of the Murdered and Missing

There really isn't too many details out about the case. I know they originally believed it was her boyfriend (separated from her husband) but I think he was never fully charged.
    Waterslide likes this.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

Thanks Seapharris!! I will check it out now and probably tomorrow, too.
    ~Manx Mouse

No problem, and at the bottom of the link with the Suckley murder is the Texas Department of Public Safety's website with other unsolved cases Good read if you want more Google searches

Sarzy likes this.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread Information