Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Bizarre/unsolved mysteries

Bumping this thread for this cool story I saw today (look at all the crap these thieves had to circumvent - highlighted in red). In a way it's solved, because they have the ringleader, but I think it's still unclear how they pulled it off, who really commissioned the burglary, and where the stolen loot went:

World's Largest Diamond Heist -- $100 Million US?

It's the largest diamond heist in history from the world's most impenetrable vault, located in Antwerp, Belgium. Two floors below the Diamond Centre, it was protected by a lock with 100 million possible combinations, as well as heat/motion sensors, radar, magnetic fields, and a private security force. On the weekend of Feb 15, using a series of moves that would make Danny Ocean jealous, the thieves were able to silently enter the vault, bust open the safe deposit boxes, and make off with the glittering loot. And although the purported ring leader Leonardo Notarbartolo was caught and sentenced to 10 years, he has since been released on parole. Notarbartolo claimed in an interview in Wired Magazine that the true take was only $20 million and was part of a larger conspiracy involving insurance fraud. Whatever -- the loot was never recovered and everybody literally made off like bandits. (Link | Via | Photo)
    roslyntaberfan likes this.

Yay, I love this thread!

I have no idea how they could have managed that heist, I guess my first response to that is that it was a lot of inside jobs, but I want to know where the diamonds all went.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Sounds like the story line of "Man on a Ledge" with Sam Worthington. The outcome was that it was also insurance fraud and that the owner actually had the diamond in his possession the entire time.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Yay, I love this thread!

I have no idea how they could have managed that heist, I guess my first response to that is that it was a lot of inside jobs, but I want to know where the diamonds all went.
    Waterslide, if you follow the link in my post, you will see it goes to 10 Perfect Crimes. I think you will enjoy reading the rest of them. This was my favorite, though, because, how the hell do you get past all that crap? I think a housefly wouldn't have been able to get across the room without setting of an alarm.

Sleuth: Sounds like the story line of "Man on a Ledge" with Sam Worthington. The outcome was that it was also insurance fraud and that the owner actually had the diamond in his possession the entire time.
    Sleuth, the Wiki entry for this heist says that JJ Abrams was making a movie out of this particular case, but the Worthington movie sounds very similar, too.
    Waterslide likes this.

Mohandas, I'm going to check that link tomorrow! Thank you for pointing it out to me. I thrive on this kind of stuff!

I think you're right, a GNAT would have triggered one of those alarms, let alone a person or people.

I love this thread, but I feel like I never have a good story to post in here. I know those stories are out there, I just never quite find any good ones.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Waterslide, if you follow the link in my post, you will see it goes to 10 Perfect Crimes. I think you will enjoy reading the rest of them. This was my favorite, though, because, how the hell do you get past all that crap? I think a housefly wouldn't have been able to get across the room without setting of an alarm.
    Only one man can seuolve this case!!!

Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Wow, it's been almost exactly a year since someone posted here. However, I wanted to post a link to a pretty interesting murder case, where a 1957 unsolved murder case (of a little girl) was solved, resulting in a conviction in 2012. The discussion of the evidence and testimony and challenges of trying a case more than 50 years after the fact is covered pretty well:

Taken: The coldest case ever solved

That was interesting. 1957 is the year I was born. Poor little girl.

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Yes it is on Discovery ID. I'm totally addicted to that channel.
    Holy shit, I've just spent the better part of the morning going back through this thread.

I'm an Discovery ID channel addict too. Its on for hours in my house.
    Sylkyn, KrisNine and gas_chick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Wow, it's been almost exactly a year since someone posted here. However, I wanted to post a link to a pretty interesting murder case, where a 1957 unsolved murder case (of a little girl) was solved, resulting in a conviction in 2012. The discussion of the evidence and testimony and challenges of trying a case more than 50 years after the fact is covered pretty well:

Taken: The coldest case ever solved
    Thanks for posting this - it's fascinating but so sad. I think the guy they caught did do it but it was interesting to read about how they had to manage the trial so many years later.
    Rest in Peace my beautiful little Bonnie

07/01/92 - 12/03/09

Elite Member

From reading the articles (which I admit I skimmed), it seems that the perp's grown-up step-daughter, whom he photographed nude when she was 12, has been missing for quite awhile. Is that so? Makes you wonder - though it's certainly possible she just cut ties with her family to get away from her creepy step-dad.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    Holy shit, I've just spent the better part of the morning going back through this thread.

Me, too! I must've been a cop or PI in a past life; am totally addicted to the ID shows and "Snapped!"

Mohandas, thanks for the link to that story. Interesting.
    KrisNine likes this.

Gold Member

This is my first time seeing this thread and it's kept me busy all day. I wasn't much of an UM watcher but now I'm trying to find out where I can watch them (esp. the older seasons) online. Haven't found anything yet and it's driving me nuts

Quote Originally Posted by deenz View Post
    This is my first time seeing this thread and it's kept me busy all day. I wasn't much of an UM watcher but now I'm trying to find out where I can watch them (esp. the older seasons) online. Haven't found anything yet and it's driving me nuts
    have you been to this site ? It's got lots of video links and info on a lot of cases
    Unsolved Mysteries Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post

My house, too!! I have it on when I'm cleaning and sometimes fall asleep watching!! I'm a weirdo. I watch all of this shit and when my SO goes out of town, I can't sleep. I'm checking every window and every door!!

Quote Originally Posted by deenz View Post
    They used to show Unsolved Mysteries on Discovery ID. Not sure if they do anymore. There are quite a few shows like it.

Thread Information