Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 269
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Bizarre/unsolved mysteries

  1. #181
    Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    you already know.
    Posts
    44,442

    Default

    I tried to tamper with something when I was a kid it was hilarious cuz by tamper I mean I put a bunch of other common househole chemicals or whatever like shampoo in one of those viles of VO5 hot oil treatment and just put it back on the shelf looking like total shit and obviously messed with so of course no one would have bought that and the things I put it in were completely harmless mostly b/c I was really scared of what I was doing, but in typical me form - I did it anyways

  2. #182
    Elite Member FashionVictim's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,093

    Default

    Has anyone heard of Colleen Reed, who was abducted from a car wash in austin at a car wash? I can't find much info and supposedly there's surveillance camera picture of her right before she was taken.

    Also what is really haunting is the frozen yogurt shop murders, also in Austin. So creepy.
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

  3. #183
    Gold Member khaebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    851

    Default

    Both incidents are mentioned here:
    Yogurt Shop Murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    According to Wikipedia:

    Shortly before midnight on Friday December 6, 1991, a patrolling Austin police officer noticed a fire coming from an I Can't Believe It's Yogurt! shop and reported it to the officer's dispatcher. After the fire was extinguished, the firefighters discovered four bodies, all of which were bound and gagged, with three stacked on top of one another. Each victim had been shot in the head, thus leading police to determine that they likely had died before the fire was started.

    Just before the murders, the girls had been seen alive at the yogurt shop as late as 10:00 pm. They had planned a sleepover for that night.

    Subsequent events

    At the time of the murders, a known serial killer, Kenneth Allen McDuff, was in the area. McDuff had a history of multiple murders involving teenagers, but Austin Police said he had been ruled out of the Yogurt Shop Murders. McDuff was later convicted of and executed for the abduction and murder of Colleen Reed from a West 5th Street car wash on Sunday, December 29, 1991.

  4. #184
    Elite Member FashionVictim's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,093

    Default

    Yes I've read those I just wanted to discuss it.
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

  5. #185
    Elite Member january's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,255

    Default

    Two cases really haunt me, both the Burger Chef murders and the Oklahoma Girl Scout murders. The Oklahoma one is really just bizarre, the fact that three young girls can be raped, bludgeoned, and stabbed, their bodies drug outside their tent and two placed inside their sleeping bags, in a populated girl scout camping site. And no one stumbled across it while it was occurring? Evidently that whole thing was so messed up - there was a letter stating the intent to kill three girl scouts found earlier, multiple girls reported a strange man shooting a flashlight into their tents that same night and the counselors told them to go back to bed, girls reported being grabbed by a strange man while they tried to go to the restroom, people heard groans that lasted all night and one person heard a scream of "mama!" and yet no one thought they should run a check? I can't even wrap my mind around the fact that someone could be ballsy enough to commit such a multiple rape/murder and yet not one person saw a damn thing. It's so disturbing. What sweet little girls they were, and yet we'll probably never have real knowledge of what transpired that night because the only known suspect is (I think) dead. It really freaks me out because as a girl I remember going away to those girl scout camps with the same type of tents and layout, and even though it was so fun, at night it was really scary sometimes.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

  6. #186
    KD
    KD is offline
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,462

    Default

    The Boy in the box fucked me up. Looked at pictures. Fuck...I have an amazing 6 yo boy and the pictures broke my heart. Very disturbing and that no one ever claimed him...makes me want to cry.

    I know it was many years ago, but I want to tell his killers they could have given him to me, I would have taken him.

  7. #187
    Elite Member january's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,255

    Default

    I know how you feel. There is something about those people who have faced these tragic deaths and never were identified...it seems hard to believe that no one at all would be looking. It breaks my heart.

    Years and years ago when I was doing my internship I ran across these unidentified remains from around 1969, I think it was somewhere in Los Angeles. Pretty blonde woman who was found on a park bench in a bikini and I think a trench coat. The memories are fuzzy now but her morgue picture stays with me. I don't think they ever figured out her cause of death, whether it was accidental or homicide. I don't know why she affected me so much out of all the people I saw, maybe because she was very young and just on the cusp of life, and yet still unclaimed. I would like to know her story - was she someone who ran away to L.A. to pursue her dreams who just ended up dying on a park bench while people walked by, thinking she was sleeping? Did she have a family who searched and gave up because there wasn't as much technology to find people back then? Are they still looking? I'm not sure why I'm so caught up with that one girl.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

  8. #188
    Gold Member VeraGemini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    What am I doing in this handbasket?
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Two cases really haunt me, both the Burger Chef murders and the Oklahoma Girl Scout murders. The Oklahoma one is really just bizarre, the fact that three young girls can be raped, bludgeoned, and stabbed, their bodies drug outside their tent and two placed inside their sleeping bags, in a populated girl scout camping site. And no one stumbled across it while it was occurring? Evidently that whole thing was so messed up - there was a letter stating the intent to kill three girl scouts found earlier, multiple girls reported a strange man shooting a flashlight into their tents that same night and the counselors told them to go back to bed, girls reported being grabbed by a strange man while they tried to go to the restroom, people heard groans that lasted all night and one person heard a scream of "mama!" and yet no one thought they should run a check? I can't even wrap my mind around the fact that someone could be ballsy enough to commit such a multiple rape/murder and yet not one person saw a damn thing. It's so disturbing. What sweet little girls they were, and yet we'll probably never have real knowledge of what transpired that night because the only known suspect is (I think) dead. It really freaks me out because as a girl I remember going away to those girl scout camps with the same type of tents and layout, and even though it was so fun, at night it was really scary sometimes.
    There's more information about the Girl Scout murders here -
    Oklahoma Girl Scout murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    HOME (Very image-heavy, slow loading site.)
    Locust Grove Girl Scout Murders

    I grew up in that area, and I was at a nearby Campfire Girls camp when the murders happened. They evacuated our camp the next day, didn't tell us what was going on, but there were rumors going around, and it was total chaos. It brought fear into the lives of all the local kids and their parents, the parks and swimming pools were empty, there were armed guards at the camps that did reopen the next summer, and we just didn't have as much freedom as before.

    The one suspect, Gene Leroy Hart, is dead. He was tried and acquitted of the murders, there was a lot of controversy and dissent at the time about whether he really was guilty. He was a fugitive at the time of the killings, serving over 300 years for rape, kidnapping, and burglary, so he just went back to prison. He dropped dead while jogging around the prison yard less than 3 months after the end of the trial. There were all sorts of rumors about poisoning and Cherokee medicine curses going around at the time, because he was in his early 40s and had no history of heart disease. There were also rumors that he was actually beaten to death or stabbed, and the real cause covered up.

    There was other spookiness associated with the case. There were rumors that a medicine man was assisting Hart all along, that's why he was so hard to find, and that a curse had been placed on the investigation, as well. Highly trained tracking dogs were brought in from Pennsylvania to aid in the hunt, and one of them promptly died from heat stroke. When Hart was finally found, he was hiding at the house of a local medicine man.

    Camp Scott never reopened. The land has been sold several times, and at least once the new owners tried to use it as a campground, but people were less than eager to stay - or worse, send their kids - to such a notorious place. As far as I know, it still sits abandoned today.

  9. #189
    Super Moderator twitchy2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Milliways
    Posts
    53,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VeraGemini View Post
    Beware. This site is pink.

    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

    -- Stephen Hawking

  10. #190
    Elite Member january's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VeraGemini View Post
    There's more information about the Girl Scout murders here -
    Oklahoma Girl Scout murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    HOME (Very image-heavy, slow loading site.)
    Locust Grove Girl Scout Murders

    I grew up in that area, and I was at a nearby Campfire Girls camp when the murders happened. They evacuated our camp the next day, didn't tell us what was going on, but there were rumors going around, and it was total chaos. It brought fear into the lives of all the local kids and their parents, the parks and swimming pools were empty, there were armed guards at the camps that did reopen the next summer, and we just didn't have as much freedom as before.

    The one suspect, Gene Leroy Hart, is dead. He was tried and acquitted of the murders, there was a lot of controversy and dissent at the time about whether he really was guilty. He was a fugitive at the time of the killings, serving over 300 years for rape, kidnapping, and burglary, so he just went back to prison. He dropped dead while jogging around the prison yard less than 3 months after the end of the trial. There were all sorts of rumors about poisoning and Cherokee medicine curses going around at the time, because he was in his early 40s and had no history of heart disease. There were also rumors that he was actually beaten to death or stabbed, and the real cause covered up.

    There was other spookiness associated with the case. There were rumors that a medicine man was assisting Hart all along, that's why he was so hard to find, and that a curse had been placed on the investigation, as well. Highly trained tracking dogs were brought in from Pennsylvania to aid in the hunt, and one of them promptly died from heat stroke. When Hart was finally found, he was hiding at the house of a local medicine man.

    Camp Scott never reopened. The land has been sold several times, and at least once the new owners tried to use it as a campground, but people were less than eager to stay - or worse, send their kids - to such a notorious place. As far as I know, it still sits abandoned today.
    I wonder if it was the catalyst for all of these slasher flicks that centered around teens dying in the woods, spooky campsites, etc. Who would want to stay there? I would probably end up crying in the middle of the night when you have so much time to think about what actually occurred there. Wasn't it the first night of camp or something? I'm still at a loss on how negligent the counselors were to not check when they heard noises and the other girls complained of a weird man. I think the parents of the three murdered children actually sued the camp but I don't think they won.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

  11. #191
    Gold Member VeraGemini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    What am I doing in this handbasket?
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I wonder if it was the catalyst for all of these slasher flicks that centered around teens dying in the woods, spooky campsites, etc. Who would want to stay there? I would probably end up crying in the middle of the night when you have so much time to think about what actually occurred there. Wasn't it the first night of camp or something? I'm still at a loss on how negligent the counselors were to not check when they heard noises and the other girls complained of a weird man. I think the parents of the three murdered children actually sued the camp but I don't think they won.
    There's actually a quote from the writer of the first Friday the 13th movie at that second site, saying he'd never heard of the Camp Scott murders until after he'd written the screenplay... but the timing is awfully close. I don't know how much press the murders got outside of Oklahoma - I'm sure there was some, but I was pretty young at the time and don't remember.

    It was the first night of camp. The tent the three girls were in was the farthest out, separated from the main cluster of tents and the counselors' tents. Also, there was a big thunderstorm that night, and the area is hilly and heavily wooded. Which doesn't explain why the reports of a strange man wandering around the camp and flashlights in the woods were ignored, but it does explain why there wasn't more noise. It was a different time. Before the murders all we were really worried about at camp was stumbling on a copperhead or cottonmouth in the dark.
    Last edited by VeraGemini; July 21st, 2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: becuz eye kan't tyep

  12. #192
    Elite Member Penny Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Over the hills and far away
    Posts
    21,646

    Default

    Can I just give this thread a big gold star for giving me shit to do while I'm at work? Awesome.
    Seapharris7 likes this.

  13. #193
    Elite Member Sarzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    13,815

    Default

    Did I get this Taman Shud case from this thread or elsewhere? I really can't remember lol. Anyway it's an interesting one... ETA- I guess I should warn you that the photo on the page is of the dead man's face. It's not gruesome though.
    Taman Shud Case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  14. #194
    Elite Member NVash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    (not unsolved but still creepy and bizarre no matter how you look at it)

    The Incredible True Story of the Collar Bomb Heist | Magazine
    I know, I know, this is old news. Its on page 10, but the thing is every time I see a commercial for the new film 30 Minutes Or Less I think about this story. Odd coincidence?

  15. #195
    Super Moderator twitchy2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Milliways
    Posts
    53,579

    Default

    Not coincidental in the slightest. It's where they got the idea.

    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

    -- Stephen Hawking

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. More bizarre old advertisements
    By WhoAmI in forum Laughs and Oddities
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: September 5th, 2013, 04:22 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 24th, 2007, 04:11 PM
  3. NY Woman in 2nd Bizarre Accident
    By Chalet in forum News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 14th, 2006, 05:37 PM
  4. Bizarre Ben Affleck TV
    By KristiB in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 3rd, 2006, 12:17 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 3rd, 2006, 03:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •