Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Bizarre/unsolved mysteries

I don't know if it was on UM or on here already, but one story that freaks me the hell out is Valley of the Headless Men. There's been a lot of disappearances there. Men go in, and aren't seen again until their decapitated bodies are found (hence the name). It's a very creepy place with very creepy stories attached. From Listverse--

In the Nahanni National Park of Northwest Canada lies the Nahanni River. The area is only accessible by boat or plane and is home to many natural wonders, such as sinkholes, geysers and a waterfall almost double the size of Niagara Falls. Lord Tweeds Muir (John Buchan), author of The 39 Steps, once said of the valley: “It’s a fancy place that old-timers dream about. … Some said the “valley was full of gold and some said it was hot as hell owing to the warm springs. … It had a wicked name too, for at least a dozen folks went in and never came out’ … Indians said it was the home of devils.”

The 200 Mile gorge has become infamous, due to a number of gruesome deaths and many disappearances, earning itself the eerie name, The Valley of the Headless Men. Anomalies first began in 1908, when the Macleod Brothers came prospecting for gold in the valley. Nothing was heard or seen of the brothers for a whole year, until their decapitated bodies were found near a river. Nine years later, the Swiss prospector Martin Jorgenson was next to succumb to the Valley, when his headless corpse was found. In 1945, a miner from Ontario was found in his sleeping bag with his head cut from his shoulders. While skeptics of an unknown power at work in the Valley would put the grizzly mutilations down to feuding gold prospectors or hostile Indians, there are other strange happenings in the area which add to the valleys mysteriousness. The fiercely renowned Naha tribe simply vanished from the area a few years prior to the first deaths. Other Indians of the area have avoided the Valley for centuries, claiming an unknown evil haunts it. Many parts of the valley remain unexplored, and there are tales the Valley holds an entrance to the Hollow earth. Others believe the Valley is home to a lost world, with lush greenery and a tropical climate, due to the hot springs generating warm air, as well as untapped goldmines and wandering sasquatches. While a haven for Bigfoot remains unlikely, one thing is for certain, something strange lurks in the Nahanni Valley.

Heather Teague is one that I find to be extremely creepy and sad.

The Charley Project: Heather Danyelle Teague

3. Tallman Family Ghost:
    Just seeing the title was enough to make chills run all over me, seeing the word bunk beds secured a sleepless night for me. Forever traumatized by this segment when I first saw it many, many years ago. I'll never watch it again, ghost stories like this scare the bejeezus out of me.

FBI asks public for help breaking encrypted notes tied to 1999 murder - Yahoo! News

In what seems like a throwback to the still-unsolved Zodiac killings that terrorized the San Francisco Bay Area in the 1970s, the FBI has sent out a public appeal for amateur sleuths to help solve a key cryptographic clue in a 1999 murder case.

On June 30, 1999, police officers in St. Louis, Missouri found the body of 41-year-old Ricky McCormick, who'd been murdered and dumped in a field. The only clues investigators recovered from the scene were two encrypted notes stuffed into the victim's pockets.

"Despite extensive work by our Cryptanalysis and Racketeering Records Unit (CRRU), as well as help from the American Cryptogram Association, the meanings of those two coded notes remain a mystery to this day, and Ricky McCormick's murderer has yet to face justice," the FBI said in a press release today. CRRU chief Dan Olson added, "We are really good at what we do, but we could use some help with this one ... Maybe someone with a fresh set of eyes might come up with a brilliant new idea."

The FBI has reached out to the public with code breaking brain teasers in the past--but they were games, not actual cases. This is the chance for want-to-be FBI sleuths to break their brains on code that is part of a current investigation. The notes are after the jump.

Channel your favorite CSI character, folks. Here are the notes:

The bureau isn't offering any reward for assistance in solving the case at this time, but the FBI is asking people who believe they may have some insight into the notes write to the address below:

FBI Laboratory
    Cryptanalysis and Racketeering Records Unit
    2501 Investigation Parkway
    Quantico, VA 22135
    Attn: Ricky McCormick Case

I love this thread, but my fiance is at a hockey game and I'm in bed by myself scared shitless. Oh, and next time ill be home alone for the whole night, I'm staying at my parents!
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

The note murder seems like a copycat of the Zodiac infamy.
    But done on purpose to antagonise people's logic.

What about Zodiac, do you think it was Arthur Leigh Allen or someone else?

10. Dottie Caylor:

Sounds like she knew she was in trouble but waited too long.
    Too bad her husband will get away with it.

Three of my favourites just happened in the past year. All because the more details that come forth, the less sense the official story makes.

1. The Ronni Chasen shooting in Hollywood.

2. John Wheeler's body in the landfill.

3. Ashley Turton burning to death in her garage.
    NickiDrea and Seapharris7 like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Those are great, Twitchy. They have never said much of anything about Ashley Turton.

Supposedly Ashley Turton's so drunk that she just sits in her car and burns to death in a fire that can't be explained on the morning of the biggest merger of her life. She gets up, drinks vast amounts of alcohol in a short period of time then somehow, in a drunken stupor, makes her way down to the garage without waking her husband and children. I just don't see how it could have happened. They've never explained how the fire started.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

^^Yeah, that makes ZERO sense. It's weird how it was dropped from the headlines, too.

Where did the Ashley Turton thing happen, Twitchy? Going to check wiki right now.

I love this thread!

ETA: Wiki didn't turn up anything ...

We had a thread here. Wife of White House aide found dead in burning car

WTOP.com - Police: Lobbyist's death caused by fire in SUV engine
    They think she hit a workbench (at such a low speed that the airbags didn't deploy according to several articles) and the headlights stayed on and somehow ignited a fire in the engine compartment. BMW forums are full of skeptics though.

-- Stephen Hawking

Hmmm, fishy. I read about Wheeler on Wiki and they both don't make sense. Thanks for the links, Twitchy!

FBI Releases Secret Files. UFOs & Aliens Reported | Ghost Theory

“The Vault” aptly named, is an online website were the FBI has uploaded some of their X files for the public to read. Reports on ESP, animal mutilation and even ‘Project Bluebook’ can be found under the Unexplained Phenomena section of The Vault.

Interesting enough, one cable titled “Roswell UFO” reports on the infamous Roswell case, but does not show what everyone would expect. Or Maybe some people did expect this from the feds. The cable states that the Air Force informed the Dallas FBI branch that a flying disc was recovered in Roswell New Mexico on July 8th, 1947. The recovered disc was said to be “hexagonal in shape and was suspended from a balloon by cable“.

The cable then goes on to state that the object resembles a high-altitude weather balloon with a radar, and that it was being transported to Wright Field Base for examination.The cable ends with the line ” No further investigation being conducted.”

In itself, the cable does not say much about the Roswell incident other than what the Air Force reported to be a crashed weather balloon. This of course does not fit into what many people have claimed to have seen that day in 1947.

But don’t fret, there also was another cable released through The Vault. This cable talks about an incident which occurred on March 22nd, 1950. The report was from special agent Guy Hottel from the Washington field office and was directed toward the Director of FBI, Edgar Hoover. This cable is of interest, for it reports of crashed saucers and alien beings.

The cable goes on to say that an Air Force investigator reported that three flying saucers had crashed in New Mexico and had been recovered. Each disc was said to contain three humanoid looking creatures that measured about 3 feet in length. The aliens were described as “3 feet tall, dressed in metallic cloth of very fine texture. Each body was bandaged in a manner similar to the blackout suits used by speed flyers and test pilots.”

Creeped out? I am.

The cable concludes that the informant thinks that the high-powered radar equipment used in New Mexico could have caused these UFOs to come crashing down. Although this is three years after the reported Roswell incident, the fact that such a cable exists in the hands of the FBI should raise some alarms in your head. If these things are just weather balloons, then why do these cables talk about disc-shaped objects and 3 foot tall beings? More importantly is this last cable. It was directed towards J. Edgar Hoover.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information