Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Betty Broderick: Murderer or Wronged Woman?

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    you can't kill people and get away with it, no matter how much they piss you off you can't just shoot their ass.
    damn shame, ain't it
    shedevilang and Snarker like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Shit, according to BOTH Dan & Betty, the were miserable together since the damn honeymoon! Both people should have conducted themselves better ... and yes, I'm a hot-tempered woman but even I can't put myself in Betty's position. I have never wanted to kill my son's father. And certainly not over money...

ETA and from what I've read, most say she is still in jail because she STILL has no remorse. Until she can come up with some remorse/regret, in jail she will stay!
    me either. I can just imagine that conversation. Sugar, Mommy is sorry but she has made a big mistake...I shot Daddy in a fit of pique,but just feel awful about it. By the way,I am going to prison for years so now you have neither. Be brave!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    None of that = "malicious humiliation" to me. The sad truth - imo - is that she always hoped he come back to her. When he didn't and he married Linda instead and they were trying to have a baby... time for them both to die! And that "$30,000.00 settlement" is pretty much bullshit. He was paying her $16,000.00 a month (in the 80's!) and she had a house on the beach. If she hadn't drug shit out so badly, she would probably have fared much better but the fact is that she went through SEVERAL attorneys and was basically unrepresentable because she was such a loose and crazy fucking cannon!

Betty let herself down. Her lawyers wanted to spend their time going after the family assets for her but instead, they'd have to babysit her and try and keep her from harassing, assaulting Dan and/or his property!
    I have to admit, I didn't know that stuff. I think another thing to consider is whether people would look at it differently if it had been a guy who had been left by his wife for another guy. And if he had taken to behaving like Betty, with a double murder as the culmination of the whole mess, would he have seemed as sympathetic?

Nope they would have told him to man up and get a job and support himself.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Hit By Ban Bus!

I know this is Wiki so if anyone has documentation to dispute this account go right ahead..

~~

The long drawn-out Broderick divorce was finalized in 1989, four years after Dan filed for it. By many accounts, Dan dragged the divorce out for four years on purpose. In California, there was a little-known legal concept called "Epstein credits" which worked to thwart any financial settlement entitled to Betty. By the time the divorce trial came to fruition, because of Epstein credits, Betty's share of community property had been substantially reduced. Epstein credits are a provision under California divorce law which says that the supporting spouse (in this case Dan) may charge the dependent spouse (Betty) for one-half of all community debts accumulated – not from the date of divorce, but from the date of separation. If there is a substantial amount of time (in the interim), a dependent spouse may actually accumulate enough Epstein credits to effectively cancel out any share of the community property which might have been forthcoming had the divorce been finalized immediately after separation.
    In the case of the Brodericks, legal maneuverings and delays postponed the divorce trial incident after incident. At the divorce trial, Betty represented herself without an attorney. In what many believed was outrageously unfair and what only solidified Dan's clout in the local legal arena, the Broderick divorce trial was completely sealed off from the public at Dan's request. The courtroom door windows were covered up with paper. At the end of the eight day trial, Judge William Howatt accepted all of Dan's proposed numbers and ruled that Betty owed Dan $750,000 in Epsteins and cash advances, all accrued between the time Dan moved out and the date the divorce was final on January 30, 1989. In the end, Dan Broderick, multi-millionaire and the father of Betty's four children, was ordered to pay his wife of 20 years less than $30,000 in cash. In addition, Dan was re-awarded custody of the children.

~~

Dan deliberately and with malice aforethought humiliated Betty. He also allowed and/or encouraged his receptionist and then new young trophy wife to take her swipes. What fun! What Betty did was wrong. She deserves to be in prison, and I'm not so sure she should get paroled. But when you poke and poke and poke at a clearly disturbed person just so you won't have to pay her any money, don't be surprised if she turns on you and pokes back in the only way available to her. It's not right, but it's predictable human behavior.

On the whole, I'm glad he is dead. Of course you can't run around killing ex husbands. Pity.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

We can't? Oops.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

This is a very interesting case. I do think she is very mentally ill and sees herself as the victim, justifying her murdering two people. The husband and new wife sound like they did purposely try to piss her off over the years, but she was a nut job and crappy mom before the divorce. It seems equally crazy to stir shit with a crazy ex-wife. I think him leaving her really set her mental illness into overdrive though. The husband kept gettin restraining orders that she repeatedly broke and even went to jail for a few days over.

Here is some stuff she did, if this was an ex-husband doing this shit, people would not be saying "poor guy" over him.

Among other behaviors that later worked against her in court, she repeatedly left obscene messages on his answering machine and frequently abused him and Linda Kolkena in recorded telephone conversations with her children, of whom she made demands regarding their behavior and attitude towards their father and Kolkena. One particularly notorious incident involved her driving her vehicle through the front door of Dan Broderick's new house after he sold the family house from underneath Betty without her consent. Betty also smeared a Boston cream pie all over Dan's clothing when she entered his home one day unannounced, spray painted his walls, and broke his windows. Throughout the divorce, Betty's behavior became increasingly violent.

I've read the books (Until the Twelfth of Never is probably the best one on this case) seen the movies, interviews, etc etc, and the bottom line for me is...they were all despicable people. So really, it's hard to feel sorry for anyone but the poor kids these sociopaths produced.

I always think of that saying "Men...can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em." Well, unless you're Betty Broderick, that is. The fact that she still feels justified after all these years pretty much says it all. In her mind, she won. I guess that's all that matters to her.
    Seapharris7 and Snarker like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    I know this is Wiki so if anyone has documentation to dispute this account go right ahead..

~~

The long drawn-out Broderick divorce was finalized in 1989, four years after Dan filed for it. By many accounts, Dan dragged the divorce out for four years on purpose. In California, there was a little-known legal concept called "Epstein credits" which worked to thwart any financial settlement entitled to Betty. By the time the divorce trial came to fruition, because of Epstein credits, Betty's share of community property had been substantially reduced. Epstein credits are a provision under California divorce law which says that the supporting spouse (in this case Dan) may charge the dependent spouse (Betty) for one-half of all community debts accumulated not from the date of divorce, but from the date of separation. If there is a substantial amount of time (in the interim), a dependent spouse may actually accumulate enough Epstein credits to effectively cancel out any share of the community property which might have been forthcoming had the divorce been finalized immediately after separation.
    In the case of the Brodericks, legal maneuverings and delays postponed the divorce trial incident after incident. At the divorce trial, Betty represented herself without an attorney. In what many believed was outrageously unfair and what only solidified Dan's clout in the local legal arena, the Broderick divorce trial was completely sealed off from the public at Dan's request. The courtroom door windows were covered up with paper. At the end of the eight day trial, Judge William Howatt accepted all of Dan's proposed numbers and ruled that Betty owed Dan $750,000 in Epsteins and cash advances, all accrued between the time Dan moved out and the date the divorce was final on January 30, 1989. In the end, Dan Broderick, multi-millionaire and the father of Betty's four children, was ordered to pay his wife of 20 years less than $30,000 in cash. In addition, Dan was re-awarded custody of the children.

~~

Dan deliberately and with malice aforethought humiliated Betty. He also allowed and/or encouraged his receptionist and then new young trophy wife to take her swipes. What fun! What Betty did was wrong. She deserves to be in prison, and I'm not so sure she should get paroled. But when you poke and poke and poke at a clearly disturbed person just so you won't have to pay her any money, don't be surprised if she turns on you and pokes back in the only way available to her. It's not right, but it's predictable human behavior.
    Personally, the Epstein credits don't bother me. And, in all honesty, he probably could have nailed her for more on the Epsteins over the course of the 4 year (or 5) divorce. Considering that her house that he paid for was $650,000.00. And as for Betty representing herself... well, she went through 5 fucking attorneys and came to believe that ALL of them were on Dan's side. Or were too stupid to go up against Dan. Betty fucked herself in the divorce and in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I've read the books (Until the Twelfth of Never is probably the best one on this case) seen the movies, interviews, etc etc, and the bottom line for me is...they were all despicable people. So really, it's hard to feel sorry for anyone but the poor kids these sociopaths produced.

I always think of that saying "Men...can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em." Well, unless you're Betty Broderick, that is. The fact that she still feels justified after all these years pretty much says it all. In her mind, she won. I guess that's all that matters to her.
    Agree. I have read "Until the Twelfth of Never" as well and I didn't feel sorry for Betty or Dan. Betty was fucked in the head. A woman that talked to her children the way she did, a woman that told her children "if you loved me, you would stab Linda in the stomach" and all sorts of crazy shit - just isn't stable. Not on any level as far as I could see.
    Seapharris7 likes this.

She's a crazy bitch no doubt and those people didn't deserve to be murdered, but her husband was a bastard.

Elite Member

Personally, the Epstein credits don't bother me. And, in all honesty, he probably could have nailed her for more on the Epsteins over the course of the 4 year (or 5) divorce. Considering that her house that he paid for was $650,000.00. And as for Betty representing herself... well, she went through 5 fucking attorneys and came to believe that ALL of them were on Dan's side. Or were too stupid to go up against Dan. Betty fucked herself in the divorce and in life.
    Well, I suppose that is true.

I don't think letting go and moving on is a sign of weakness, sometimes it's the only way to get peace. And in many ways if you sacrifice your life for your husband's career and to raise your children, I'm not sure you can really expect to ever get out what you put in. Realistically speaking.

And to take away her children's father was cruel.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    Among other behaviors that later worked against her in court, she repeatedly left obscene messages on his answering machine and frequently abused him and Linda Kolkena in recorded telephone conversations with her children, of whom she made demands regarding their behavior and attitude towards their father and Kolkena. One particularly notorious incident involved her driving her vehicle through the front door of Dan Broderick's new house after he sold the family house from underneath Betty without her consent. Betty also smeared a Boston cream pie all over Dan's clothing when she entered his home one day unannounced, spray painted his walls, and broke his windows. Throughout the divorce, Betty's behavior became increasingly violent.

My inderstanding it wasnt just "unannounced"... she made copies of the kid's keys so she could sneak into Dan's house undetected. That shows premeditation & intent IMO. I presume this is also how she snuck in that morning to murder them...
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

^Yes, IIRC, she stole the house key from her daughter's purse. I think she said she only intended to kill herself there, not kill them. But then Dan woke up and started yelling, which scared her so she just started shooting.

Ya know, one of those "that's my story and I'm sticking to it" deals.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Obviously I realise that our laws don't apply over there, but if we can let the (alleged) lockerbie bomber go home to die with his family, surely this woman can be released to live the rest of her days in obscurity. I also wonder if during her time in prison she's had the psychological help she obviously needs, or if she's been left to sit in her cell and think about her actions until she's sorry, as though incarceration is some sort of glorified time out.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread Information