Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Betty Broderick: Murderer or Wronged Woman?

Not that I'm qualified to diagnose her, but I'd definitely say she has a personality disorder. But the husband was definitely an ass.

On another note, this sig of the poster upthread made me laugh....wonder why she didn't stick around?

Warning I AM a Christian, I AM judgemental, Im NOT open minded or tolerant and I probably DO look down on you. So think before you engage in conversation with me, 'kay?
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I think the whole "he pushed her over the edge" is bullshit. What happened to personal responsibility? If the divorce truly caused a screw to go loose then why does she still show no remorse to this day? She abused her kids and then killed their father and stepfather and still thinks everything she did was okay. She's a sociopath and I think she grabbed onto the "spurned wife" storyline to make herself sympathetic because she knew she'd get a little army of female fans to support her and continue to justify it for her. The case was less about Broderick and reality than a bunch of women who wanted to feel better about their own divorces and breakups and try to convince themselves that the "husband and slut deserved it."
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

There wasn't any personal responsibility in those days. It was all about victimstance.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

I totally agree NoNoRehab. I'm surprised at all the posts saying he deserved it. He cheated on his wife and screwed her in the divorce. It is a mean thing to do, but not deserving of death. Especially since he was shot in his sleep, he had no way of defending himself. Betty was nuts, because no sane person goes from normal to insane because her husband cheated on her. Otherwise a lot more men would be getting shot. And I doubt she was that great of a mother, because she used their kids in her fight and ended up leaving them without a father, and, in turn a mother.

And I doubt she was that great of a mother, because she used their kids in her fight and ended up leaving them without a father, and, in turn a mother.
    Crazy doesn't appear overnight. Her and her supporters want to claim that she was an absolute perfect wife and mother who never so much batted at a fly, but I work in major crimes and see murderers all the time. I have not come across a criminal yet, male or female, from sex offender to murderer, who didn't think their victim was really to blame. We don't know went on in that marriage because Betty conveniently got rid of the only other side of the story. She was diagnosed as having bipolar disorder with histrionic and narcissistic traits.

The BIL, btw, denied that Betty put Dan through school and that that Betty was a wonderful wife and mother, claiming they had had constant problems in their marriage and Dan was afraid of her. Betty was denied parole because she still showed no remorse and lied again at the parole hearing that Linda lunged for the gun (in reality, Linda was found lying on her stomach in bed, shot twice in the back in the bed while asleep). Betty claimed that a phone was on the floor next to Dan and she panicked at the thought he'd call the cops and yanked the phone out of the wall, when in fact it was found plugged in and sitting on a table. Betty claimed Dan was a chronic alcoholic when the autopsy showed a healthy liver.

After the divorce, Betty was awarded $16,000 a month in alimony and a house. Oh, she also had a younger live-in boyfriend, Bradley Wright, a well-to-do businessman. Her daughters said they once walked in on her mother and the young boyfriend fucking in the shower and confronted her over why their dad wasn't allowed to be remarried but she could have a young boyfriend. As of a few years ago, Bradley Wright still visited Betty every weekend at prison and manages her affairs.

Betty didn't give a shit about her kids. They were only pawns in her game and she was furious when they didn't kowtow to her abuse and join her crusade (in fact, supposedly stated a preference to live with their dad and stepmom because they couldn't handle their mom's craziness). I've seen enough Betty Broderick types to know one thing for sure - had Betty not succeeded in killing her kids' father, her next step would have been killing the kids: "They love him and that slut more, why don't they believe me, those little shits, if I can't have them he can't either, he turned them against me, it better they be dead than with that asshole," etc.

Kimberly, Betty and Dan's eldest daughter, has said the "Betty as Suzy Homemaker who did nothing but support her husband and love her kids" myth is bullshit. According to Kim, her mother was a mentally ill, chronic liar who abused her husband and kids to the point that the kids begged their dad to take them away. They liked their stepmother because she was kind and supportive, unlike their mom, and their dad's biggest fault was that he didn't get away from Betty sooner. In addition to the abuse she heaped on her kids, Kimberly gets to know that, for the rest of her life, her mom stole her (the daughter's) house key in order to sneak into her father's house (where Betty was forbidden due to a restraining order and where her kids lived) to kill their father.

Oh, and to the poster who said that Betty's kids supposedly talk to her every day: Kimberly Broderick, Betty and Dan's daughter, testified against Betty at her most recent parole hearing several months ago. She said her mother hated the kids' father and would tell the kids "often" to their face that she hated them and wished they'd never been born. Betty went crazy one day, according to Kim, and dropped the kids off at Dan's house with no notice saying that if he wanted the kids so bad, he could have them. Nobody was home at the house and so Betty left the kids there alone for hours with the little kids hysterically crying. Betty told her youngest son, Rhett, that if he really loved her he would stab his stepmother in the stomach for her. She also told her kids that if Linda and Dan had another baby their father wouldn't love him anymore. Even five years after the divorce, Betty sent dozens of obscene messages a day to Dan and Linda's house (often when she knew the kids were present) including death threats and threats to burn down the house where her children were living.

This is what Kimberly Broderick said about her parents at trial:

"[Mom] was always getting all dressed up and at the last minute saying, 'I'm not going." Mom was always kind of weird. Mom would get mad at Dad all the time. Once Mom picked up the stereo and threw it at him. And she locked him out constantly. He'd come around to my window and whisper, 'Kim, let me in."

[Kim said her mother would throw things and hit her and her siblings] "Lee would always say, 'Your spankings don't hurt me'--you know, she was bratty. So Mom said, "OK, next time you're bad I'll hit you with a fly swatter. Lee was out in the yard and Mom went after her with the swatter and the little screen came off so it was just the wire and she kept hitting her. Lee had big welts all over her legs. . . . I'd grab Danny and hide in the closet.

"She was always telling me they were getting a divorce. She'd say, 'Who are you going to live with?' I was dying for Dad to divorce her. I'd say to Dad, "Just take me the day you leave."

"I was 18 and discovered I was pregnant...When mom found out she sent a letter to my dad's whole family and called one of my friend's mothers. Whenever friends came to the house, she talked about it. The whole world knew.

"Mom could never admit that she'd ever have a happy life. That would be admitting that she could get on with herself and that Dad didn't ruin her life. Hating dad and Linda became Mom's reason for living."
    Betty's response to Kimberly's testimony was, "Kim is a weak and impressionable idiot."
    Last edited by NoNoRehab; February 5th, 2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

All the biographies are highly biased and slanted towards one side or the other. If you go on the assumption that some of what was said about each of the main players (Betty, Dan, and Linda) is true, it becomes pretty clear that they were all shitheads trapped in a nasty dance of deceit and cruelty. Makes for interesting reading, though.

True they were all shitheads, in varying degrees, but after I heard that Betty got $16,000 a month and the house, I pretty much lost all sympathy for her. Yeah it hurts getting traded in for a younger model but she was so much better off than a lot of other women who have gone through the same thing. I always got the impression that her kids were just pawns to her.

I don't think Kim has spoken to her since before the murders.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    It would be awesome if she directed or wrote a made-for-TV movie based on her viewpoint. She'll be getting out in about 5 years.
    Please, that would be as realistic as the fucking Tom and Jerry show. Betty is nuts and it would be pure fucking fantasy.
    Quote Originally Posted by kimberwyn View Post
    He got what was coming to him, imo. It's called karma and I dont feel a single bit of sympathy for him, or her. Hopefully men will learn from this.
    You're an idiot.
    I don't think she was a psycho, but looking back on this story from a 2011 vantage point, I'm wondered if she would have been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder if this happened today. BPD is such a popular DX now.
    She was diagnosed with mental issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Not that I'm qualified to diagnose her, but I'd definitely say she has a personality disorder. But the husband was definitely an ass.

On another note, this sig of the poster upthread made me laugh....wonder why she didn't stick around?

Warning I AM a Christian, I AM judgemental, Im NOT open minded or tolerant and I probably DO look down on you. So think before you engage in conversation with me, 'kay?
    Because it was stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    I think the whole "he pushed her over the edge" is bullshit. What happened to personal responsibility? If the divorce truly caused a screw to go loose then why does she still show no remorse to this day? She abused her kids and then killed their father and stepfather and still thinks everything she did was okay. She's a sociopath and I think she grabbed onto the "spurned wife" storyline to make herself sympathetic because she knew she'd get a little army of female fans to support her and continue to justify it for her. The case was less about Broderick and reality than a bunch of women who wanted to feel better about their own divorces and breakups and try to convince themselves that the "husband and slut deserved it."
    Amen! It went over the way it did because it was popular with the bitter bitch brigade. Every woman who's husband had divorced her hitched her wagon to Betty's. They could all relate to wanting to kill a man because he had the audacity to leave you...
    Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    There wasn't any personal responsibility in those days. It was all about victimstance.
    Shit, apparently there still isn't - look at all the posters here and how they feel he deserved it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    I totally agree NoNoRehab. I'm surprised at all the posts saying he deserved it. He cheated on his wife and screwed her in the divorce. It is a mean thing to do, but not deserving of death. Especially since he was shot in his sleep, he had no way of defending himself. Betty was nuts, because no sane person goes from normal to insane because her husband cheated on her. Otherwise a lot more men would be getting shot. And I doubt she was that great of a mother, because she used their kids in her fight and ended up leaving them without a father, and, in turn a mother.
    If it had been a man who killed his ex wife and her current husband in the same manner, the responses would be totally different. We have a hell of a lot of bitter betty's here.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    Crazy doesn't appear overnight. Her and her supporters want to claim that she was an absolute perfect wife and mother who never so much batted at a fly, but I work in major crimes and see murderers all the time. I have not come across a criminal yet, male or female, from sex offender to murderer, who didn't think their victim was really to blame. We don't know went on in that marriage because Betty conveniently got rid of the only other side of the story. She was diagnosed as having bipolar disorder with histrionic and narcissistic traits.

The BIL, btw, denied that Betty put Dan through school and that that Betty was a wonderful wife and mother, claiming they had had constant problems in their marriage and Dan was afraid of her. Betty was denied parole because she still showed no remorse and lied again at the parole hearing that Linda lunged for the gun (in reality, Linda was found lying on her stomach in bed, shot twice in the back in the bed while asleep). Betty claimed that a phone was on the floor next to Dan and she panicked at the thought he'd call the cops and yanked the phone out of the wall, when in fact it was found plugged in and sitting on a table. Betty claimed Dan was a chronic alcoholic when the autopsy showed a healthy liver.

After the divorce, Betty was awarded $16,000 a month in alimony and a house. Oh, she also had a younger live-in boyfriend, Bradley Wright, a well-to-do businessman. Her daughters said they once walked in on her mother and the young boyfriend fucking in the shower and confronted her over why their dad wasn't allowed to be remarried but she could have a young boyfriend. As of a few years ago, Bradley Wright still visited Betty every weekend at prison and manages her affairs.

Betty didn't give a shit about her kids. They were only pawns in her game and she was furious when they didn't kowtow to her abuse and join her crusade (in fact, supposedly stated a preference to live with their dad and stepmom because they couldn't handle their mom's craziness). I've seen enough Betty Broderick types to know one thing for sure - had Betty not succeeded in killing her kids' father, her next step would have been killing the kids: "They love him and that slut more, why don't they believe me, those little shits, if I can't have them he can't either, he turned them against me, it better they be dead than with that asshole," etc.

Kimberly, Betty and Dan's eldest daughter, has said the "Betty as Suzy Homemaker who did nothing but support her husband and love her kids" myth is bullshit. According to Kim, her mother was a mentally ill, chronic liar who abused her husband and kids to the point that the kids begged their dad to take them away. They liked their stepmother because she was kind and supportive, unlike their mom, and their dad's biggest fault was that he didn't get away from Betty sooner. In addition to the abuse she heaped on her kids, Kimberly gets to know that, for the rest of her life, her mom stole her (the daughter's) house key in order to sneak into her father's house (where Betty was forbidden due to a restraining order and where her kids lived) to kill their father.

Oh, and to the poster who said that Betty's kids supposedly talk to her every day: Kimberly Broderick, Betty and Dan's daughter, testified against Betty at her most recent parole hearing several months ago. She said her mother hated the kids' father and would tell the kids "often" to their face that she hated them and wished they'd never been born. Betty went crazy one day, according to Kim, and dropped the kids off at Dan's house with no notice saying that if he wanted the kids so bad, he could have them. Nobody was home at the house and so Betty left the kids there alone for hours with the little kids hysterically crying. Betty told her youngest son, Rhett, that if he really loved her he would stab his stepmother in the stomach for her. She also told her kids that if Linda and Dan had another baby their father wouldn't love him anymore. Even five years after the divorce, Betty sent dozens of obscene messages a day to Dan and Linda's house (often when she knew the kids were present) including death threats and threats to burn down the house where her children were living.

This is what Kimberly Broderick said about her parents at trial:

Betty's response to Kimberly's testimony was, "Kim is a weak and impressionable idiot."
    People forget all of that. I've read the damn books too and I have zero sympathy for Betty. She is exactly where she belongs. She will NOT get out of jail anytime soon. If justice is truly served, she'll never fucking get out. Betty never gave 2 squirts of piss for anyone but herself.
    All the biographies are highly biased and slanted towards one side or the other. If you go on the assumption that some of what was said about each of the main players (Betty, Dan, and Linda) is true, it becomes pretty clear that they were all shitheads trapped in a nasty dance of deceit and cruelty. Makes for interesting reading, though.
    That's really not what you were saying earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    True they were all shitheads, in varying degrees, but after I heard that Betty got $16,000 a month and the house, I pretty much lost all sympathy for her. Yeah it hurts getting traded in for a younger model but she was so much better off than a lot of other women who have gone through the same thing. I always got the impression that her kids were just pawns to her.

I don't think Kim has spoken to her since before the murders.
    I know. People talking about how Dan didn't want to give her "her share" - what was her share? She obviously wasn't entitled to child support since she had systematically dumped her kids off at Dan's house. So how was she such a wonderful mother and wife and... whatever else is being claimed? I don't get it and I don't care if a juror said "what took her so long" since the only side of the story we got to really hear was Bettys since she silenced the other party in that marriage.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

After reading the daughters statement, this woman is beyond help. She also doesn't deserve any help.
    $16,000 thousand a month?? What a deal! Most of us would have been very happy-let some other woman worry about his dirty underwear!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I didn't need to read the daughter's testimony to lose any sympathy for Betty. The moment I read about how she dropped the kids off at her husband's as though the kids were some kind of punishment for him and the new wife it was enough. Anyone who will use her children like that is an evil bitch who deserves to rot in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Amen! It went over the way it did because it was popular with the bitter bitch brigade. Every woman who's husband had divorced her hitched her wagon to Betty's.
    This is so true.

Anybody read The Twelfth of Never? It was pretty sympathetic toward Betty. It's long but I couldn't put it down. Even though I could feel myself being manipulated by every page.

Here are some editorial reviews of it that are on the book's Amazon.com page

Editorial Reviews
    From Publishers Weekly
    Betty Broderick was positioned, by personality and acculturation, to be a victim of her husband, in the view of Stumbo, a recently retired reporter for the Los Angeles Times. Betty, described as beautiful and intelligent, was raised by her rigidly Catholic parents to be the loving wife of one man and the mother of his children. She was also trained to have "an infinite capacity to put on a happy face." She helped support Dan while he attended Cornell Medical School and Harvard Law School; after they moved to San Diego, he became a millionaire and president of the local bar association. When Dan began an affair with a former airline stewardess, he divorced Betty and determined to deprive her of their shared assets in a settlement. The San Diego legal community closed ranks behind him in his campaign of what one psychiatrist described as "legal abuse." In 1989, after several years of this treatment, Betty fatally shot both Dan and his new wife Linda. Betty's first trial ended in a hung jury, her second in a guilty verdict and a sentence of 30 years to life. Stumbo's sensitive portrait is not so partisan as to depict Betty as a saintly martyr, but it is nonetheless a searing depiction of a woman so conditioned by what she perceived as traditional femininity that she became self-destructive, "a woman in ruins." Photos not seen by PW.
    Copyright 1993 Reed Business Information, Inc.
    From Kirkus Reviews
    Richly researched, gripping story of a castoff San Diego wife who shot and killed her ex-husband and his new wife one morning in 1989 while they lay asleep. Debut author Stumbo (a Los Angeles Times reporter) makes no pleas but shows that well-spoken, well-read Betty Broderick was so beaten with betrayal by her husband that her present 30-year sentence is probably unjust. Betty and Dan endured nine pregnancies that produced four children, and Betty bonded to Dan all the way, sharing his obsession with getting a legal degree for himself, on top of his medical degree, so that he could reap millions as a medical-malpractice lawyer. This took big sacrifices: Betty was not only a mother machine and superwife but she also did extra jobs to support the family while Dan got his second degree at Harvard, fraternized with future business ties, and kept himself in brilliant plumage. Stumbo follows the Brodericks through their rise from poverty to high fashion in La Jolla, and she captures Betty's disbelief when, after 16 years of marriage, Dan fell for ``teenaged office bimbo'' Linda Kolkena. Dan denied the affair for two years while setting up house with Linda and giving her a fancy office as his paralegal. When Dan moved out, Betty's whole nature changed as she became foul-mouthed, burned all of Dan's suits, drove her car through the front door of his new house, and harassed him endlessly--all of which helped Dan win a no-fault divorce and the kids. Greedy but "borderline hysteric" Betty grew ever battier as years went by, and finally killed Dan and Linda. Her first trial ended in a hung jury, but the second convicted her--of murder in the second degree. The white male power structure that defends Dan, his divorce rulings, and his silver-tongued but hard-drinking selfishness gets a rough going over here. You do begin to see Betty's side of things. Bang bang. -- Copyright 1993, Kirkus Associates, LP. All rights reserved.
    http://www.amazon.com/Until-Twelfth-.../dp/0671726668
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    This is so true.

Anybody read The Twelfth of Never? It was pretty sympathetic toward Betty. It's long but I couldn't put it down. Even though I could feel myself being manipulated by every page.

Here are some editorial reviews of it that are on the book's Amazon.com page

Amazon.com: Until the Twelfth of Never: The Deadly Divorce of Dan & Betty Broderick (9780671726669): Bella Stumbo: Books
    I have that book, yes it was pretty sympathetic towards Betty but I still saw through that shit. Nobody "becomes" unhinged or crazy because their husband leaves them. It was always there. I was amazed that Betty went to college and got a degree in child psychology. How do you treat your children the way she did knowing what the effects would be? Disgusting bitch!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I'm not saying she should have shot them but I can certainly empathise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    I have that book, yes it was pretty sympathetic towards Betty but I still saw through that shit. Nobody "becomes" unhinged or crazy because their husband leaves them. It was always there. I was amazed that Betty went to college and got a degree in child psychology. How do you treat your children the way she did knowing what the effects would be? Disgusting bitch!
    Yeah the crazy was there all along. But I have to say that Dan and Linda did taunt her quite a bit. Not that their actions justifies their murder, but it's a dangerous game to continually provoke a crazy person. Linda (it's assumed it was her or one of her friends) would send Betty weight loss and wrinkle reducing ads as well as pictures of her (Linda) with Dan at the events that Betty used to attend. Also Dan was a complete dick who would fine her for the things she did (totally illegal) and take it out of her alimony payments.

If I had been in her shoes, I would have moved out of La Jolla and started over. She had the means to do that. I think she knew Dan and Linda wanted her to drop off the face of the earth which made her more determined to remain a part of their lives. It was a very sick situation.

I have the book too, it's been awhile since I read it and I don't remember the author siding with Betty or justifying her actions but I suppose it could be looked at as sympathetic to her since at that time, only Betty was around to tell her side of the story. I definitely wondered why Betty couldn't just take the money and run because she could've had a very nice and comfortable life without Dan. Instead she just let hatred and revenge take over her life, which was HER choice. And the shit she put her kids through was unforgivable.

I guess I just have to wonder if she was really ALWAYS crazy, why he stayed with her so long, and why he continued to play games with the affair, divorce, money and the kids when he of ALL people should have seen how batshit crazy out of control she'd become.

I am in no way saying he deserved his fate but I do think they both had issues and were hellbent on punishing each other and being the "winner" in all this and he egged her on big time.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information