Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Betty Broderick: Murderer or Wronged Woman?

Default Re: Betty Broderick: Murderer or Wronged Woman?

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator
    She did overreact and yeah, I have sympathy for the fact that she sacrificed for this idiot and he knifed her in the back. But I think everyone here is missing the broader problem, one I've noted many times in women that is a huge mistake to do. Never base your entire existence around a man!!! Have a life with interests that do no involve him and most of all, do not look to him for your value and sense of worth. The right guy should compliment your life, not be your entire life.
    That is so true.

She really screwed up the kids with her antics, too. She shamelessly put them in the middle of her squabble with Dan. She was a good mother and a good wife and a decent person until Dan started fooling around. Then it's like a screw came loose, and she went bananas.

She supported him through both medical and law school, working the whole time while raising the kids. He paid alimony until the divorce was final--when the decree came through, she received about $30,000 in the settlement, if I remember correctly, with no more alimony. He knew how to work the system--made sure he had his money stashed with his brother and various other little shenanigans to make sure she ended up with nothing.

His innocent 22-year-old "personal assistant" (she wasn't smart enough to type) sent her ads for weight loss and wrinkle products while she waited in the wings until her man was able to dump Betty. (As a little gossip aside, the new wife was fired from her job as a stewardess for indecent behavior.) She probably would have been traded in for a new model when she turned 35, anyway.

She devoted her entire adult life to him, beginning when she was a freshman in college, and didn't really know anything else. While it's easy to say she should not have based her existence around him, she did--they planned to put him through schools to get his degrees, set up a practice for him, make it to the top, and then reap the benefits by traveling and enjoying life. She pushed him and supported him, and then he left her with nothing.

While I admit she went off her rocker and is probably a very unpleasant person, I think the way he treated her was reprehensible--he cheated on her, lied to her, mocked her for years, and then made sure she was left with nothing.

I just read a book about the trial a few months ago.

We only heard HER side of the story. And everyone knows there are THREE sides - his, hers, and the truth.

No one knows what it was like living with her. Living with her could have been HELL. If she comes across as a c---
    in interview, I am sure she was one before all this happened.

See, this whole story spellbinds me. A crazy part of me can "feel her pain" heh heh. Yet, she does seem like an obnoxious crazy bitch. Just hearing that horrible conversation that was recorded on the answering machine, where she argues with her youngest son about daddy fucking the slut, and the kid is crying & telling her to stop, well, I can't imagine torturing my child like that under any circumstances. I never said a bad word about my children's father when we divorced, EVER. (in front of them )

About Linda, she ended up being beatified from this, but I can't help but wonder what the reality was.

There seems to be some sort of weird phenomenon where people SWEAR they mean to commit suicide, and end up walking away from a corpse or two. Like Susan Smith.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Bronze Member

She's insane. You can feel badly up to a point, but the fact is she killed two people in cold blood.

The court found that she was neither insane (although I really think she is), nor that she killed them in cold blood (she got second-degree murder, which means, I think, that it was not premeditated).

I do think she's loony, mean-spirited, and was probably a nightmare to live with. Her kids were put through hell, but her husband manipulated them as much as she did, which really didn't come out in the court testimony.

This is a case that really polarized people. I remember reading an article about the first case in Vanity Fair when I was pretty young, and being struck by one of the jurors saying that he wondered why it took her SO LONG to kill him. I think that biased me against against her husband.

BTW, the TV movie is really entertaining, but was made in consultation with Dan's friends only, so it puts him in a saintly light.

I loved the movies.

I think she is sane.

I think Dan probably mistreated her, but IMO, that didn't give her the right or the reason to kill two people. Even if he screwed her out of the $$$, she should have gotten on with her life and left them to it.

A*O

This was no better/worse than thousands of other acrimonious divorces. I bet we all know women who have been treated badly by selfish men who've traded them in for a newer model. I certainly do - but none of them resorted to murder.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Broad
    I loved the movies.

I think she is sane.

I think Dan probably mistreated her, but IMO, that didn't give her the right or the reason to kill two people. Even if he screwed her out of the $$$, she should have gotten on with her life and left them to it.
    Yeah, I loved the movies, too, which were heavily slanted towards Danny Boy, by the way. One felt he had no choice but to seek solace in the arms of his lovely assistant since he was married to such a hard-charging harridan. I know when I saw the part in the movie where Meridith Baxter Birney (as Betty) drives her truck into Dan's house I was thinking, "Damn! This is one crazy woman!" Still, although she may have some issues, I don't think she is technically insane.

I've seen the movie (both parts) at least 3 times and love it! It's one of those movies that you always watch if it's on, even if you can recite it word for word because it's so fascinating. Loved Meredith Baxter! She met Betty several times, and I think SHE even said that Betty is pretty crazy--like it's STILL all about Betty. And those poor kids! The oldest girl even testified against Betty at one of the trials....which couldn't have been easy....

Anyway, she has to pay for the crime that she committed. She killed two people, and while I do have some sympathy for her side of the story, she needs to pay for her mistake. She's insane....and Dan certainly didn't help her to feel better for herself....

Silver Member
    The First Presleytarian Church Of Elvis The Divine

Does anyone know whatever happened to the kids? Who ended up raising them?
    How You Durrin ?

Y'all know me, I can't keep my mouth shut, so before I even get past the first post (thanks, Lobelia!) I just gotta say: THAT WOMAN IS BOTH. She was wronged by her husband (by having an affair instead of being a man with balls and ending the marriage first) and then she became a murderer. No denying it. Adultery is no excuse for murder. So her ass can rot away in prison for all I care. Because the fact remains: she was too selfish to put her kids first. By killing their father, she fucked up their lives, and that's a real, real shame.

Let me start by saying that she should be punished for her crime.
    I can remember being so angry and hurt when I found out my husband had a girlfriend, my mind kinda went hazy for a while. I can understand the outrage and hatred she felt for him. I can remember when we were 'working it out' and was around this girl-after it 'didn't work out' and he was once again with her, I can remember her looking at me with that shit eating grin and wanting her dead. Him, too...don't tell me the 2 to tango-I wanted to punish them both....

I understand about not building your world around a man, but you expect certain things from your husband-honesty and trust are the first that come to my mind. This man used her and hurt her. Yeah, BB went off her rocker big time. But he caused a lot of it...he pushed her until she had gotten way past the point of coherent thinking....I'm sure at the time of the murders she was insane-possibly for a great deal of time up until. She thought she could trust this man to 'uphold his end of the bargain' like she had. She sacrificed for him to make his way-then he turned on her basically....All I can say is I know the disgusting, empty, insane feeling I had the night my husband left me begging him not to be with his girlfriend on our anniversary. I can certainly see how she was 'driven to kill'....I had so many evil thoughts in my mind. Thankfully, I did have a good support system, got my ass in therapy and didn't do anything stupid--but take him back There are still times when I see them together in my head....and can honestly imagine what BB went through knowing her husband was laying in bed MARRIED to another woman....you know what they say...
    Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Gold Member

I always felt bad for her. She raised 4 kids and even they liked the "newer" model more. She probably felt like the biggest loneliest loser. Her ex,the new wife and kids seemed like a bunch of selfish a*holes. She should have fought for half, taken the money and disappeared. She could have found a new life as a resort employee in the Bahamas and hooked up with a hot latino named Carlos. But instead she's doing life. The Fool.
    electrocuted_sheep likes this.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

^^Word.
    2 years...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information