Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ayla Reynolds - 20-month-old toddler kidnapped from home

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    The part that I see that's different is that, compared to just a couple of years ago, where Caylee Anthony was the lone prominent case, we now have about 5 or 6 simultaneous cases, with circumstances very similar to Anthony's.
    I really think they are just getting more attention. Otherwise there would have to be some (inexplicable to me) upsurge in this particular type/circumstance of child abduction..and I find it hard to think of any valid reason for that...

..Maybe it is the economy and they think that with the attention and ratings and stuff, they can make money off of killing their kids? Who knows. Maybe the Caylee drama has stirred up some crazies to copycat it? Lord knows there are enough varied crazies out there for that to at least be considered.

Are people and parents more fucked up than they used to be? I don't think so-I just think there are more people and more info out there and it may bring out the crazy in the crazies to go ahead and act on the crazy(the attention and all).

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    um, i'm usually not one to encourage people's obsessions but maybe you should spend more time on leann rimes' twitter, and less on sensational news stories about missing children?
    Leanne Rimes' twitter would improve one's humanity?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Lol Mo. Above you're noting how many more cases are now getting coverage, and then you're saying they aren't getting time and coverage.

Contrary much?

The multiple threads here are enough proof that way too many people love to watch and obsess over this type of thing. They can't get enough of dead kids.
    I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that what I'm saying is consistent. I'm saying that there are more well-known child abduction cases than there were several years ago, and that I don't remember this many simultaneous cases with similar circumstances.

You can interpret coverage different ways - how many news outlets are reporting on the stories. Definitely a lot of news oulets reporting on Reynolds, Jennings, Metalwala, etc.

But there's also depth of coverage - how long a particular outlet focuses on a story. That's not happening. Coverage in all the cases is pretty fleeting unless someone makes a new statement, like Reynold's dad and grandmother.

People like Nancy Grace feasted off of the Anthony case for years. However, despite the fact that there are now about 6 similar active cases, she is barely covering them. For whatever, reason, Grace is not using the latest cases as fodder for her show. Instead, she is talking about her old standbys - Casey Anthony (and her webcam videos) and Van der Sloot (and his Peru trial).

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    I really think they are just getting more attention. Otherwise there would have to be some (inexplicable to me) upsurge in this particular type/circumstance of child abduction..and I find it hard to think of any valid reason for that...

..Maybe it is the economy and they think that with the attention and ratings and stuff, they can make money off of killing their kids? Who knows. Maybe the Caylee drama has stirred up some crazies to copycat it? Lord knows there are enough varied crazies out there for that to at least be considered.
    I'm not sure people are copycat killing their kids as much as copycat stonewalling after the fact.

Hogwash. There is no copycat stonewalling. You are seeing what you want to see. There were hinky child disappearances years ago. Pre-Anthony. It's not copycat to deny everything, be uncooperative and make up stories. That's standard behaviour for people accused of crimes. Any crimes.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Hogwash. There is no copycat stonewalling. You are seeing what you want to see. There were hinky child disappearances years ago. Pre-Anthony. It's not copycat to deny everything, be uncooperative and make up stories. That's standard behaviour for people accused of crimes. Any crimes.
    I've seen the continued assertion in this thread that there were situations like this years ago, where there were multiple children missing at the same time, with their parents stonewalling. But what are the examples?

jesus christ, mohandas sandy. kids have been going missing and getting murdered by their parents since... well, since people have been having kids.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yeah, I don't really keep a bunch of old microfiche around nor do I obsess about missing kids cases so examples are a laughable thing to ask for.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Even Isaac was going to kill his son, until God told him it was just a joke.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

I think the weird thing about so many of these cases is that it seems as though with the heavy media attention, the major resources applied, in some cases, some very suspicious circumstances that seem to point to someone--that still, it goes unsolved.

It just seems like there are so many examples of this; for example, Kyron, whose stepmother seemed pretty hinky from the get-go, that baby Lisa, who was grabbed from her home in the night after her mom had been drinking, that baby missing from the car with the parents who are estranged and seem weird as hell...All that, and these kids are still missing and no apparent progress is made. And of course Caylee Anthony. At least they found the body.

I think the media coverage just gives us the sense that there is more evidence than there really is...whereas before these things just happened and no one was really aware.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Yeah, I don't really keep a bunch of old microfiche around nor do I obsess about missing kids cases so examples are a laughable thing to ask for.
    Actually, you don't need microfiche or an obsession to do research for your side of the argument. In five seconds, you can Google, and find 76 famous cases that go back to 1758 (
    List of kidnappings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ). Of course, they won't help you with your rebuttal.

Lol.

It won't help yours either, because at least half of the cases listed at the link were adults, and many were actual kidnappings for ransom or political kidnappings.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Actually, you don't need microfiche or an obsession to do research for your side of the argument. In five seconds, you can Google, and find 76 famous cases that go back to 1758 (
    List of kidnappings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ). Of course, they won't help you with your rebuttal.
    oh no you di'int!! twitchy's probably googling the hell out of you right now and will know your deepest, darkest secrets momentarily. don't challenge the googling powers of the mighty twitchy!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

He's not that interesting.

-- Stephen Hawking

fgg

OUCH! x
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Lol.

It won't help yours either, because at least half of the cases listed at the link were adults, and many were actual kidnappings for ransom or political kidnappings.
    How does that disprove my point, though? Unresolved kidnappings of children are a subset of kidnappings in general. There are numerous non-ransom child abduction cases (including unresolved ones) on the list I linked.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information