Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ayla Reynolds - 20-month-old toddler kidnapped from home

And those type of cases happened before. They had a tendency not to go to trial because there wasn't enough evidence to convict. It's just that since the Anthony case, people keep comparing missing kids stories to it. The reason they've become national cases is because of the comparison. News outlets can get a lot of mileage out of them.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

It's possible. Those cases have happened before. Therewas even the mom who committed suicide after being hounded on Nancy Grace (which preceded Casey Anthony). Since this type of event has come to national prominence, i cant think of 4-5 happening at the same time.

The most prominent examples I can think of, pre-Anthony, where a mother was the last person alone with her children and then claimed that they were kidnapped and/or killed by a mysterious stranger are Diane Downs and Susan Smith. And both ended up convicted. The vague blaming of men like a "bushy haired stranger" (in Diane Downs' case) and the "strange black man" (in Smith's case) even became a cliche for a person obviously covering up a crime. Like the very funny South Park episode where Butters' mom tries to drown him in the car, but the car floats, unknown to his mom, and Butters go walking around Colorado searching for a Bennigan's. Then the parents, thinking Butters is dead, go to the press and tell them he was abducted by "some Puerto Rican guy."

Casey Anthony was the first prominent case where the mother was the last person alone with the kid, then claimed the kid was kidnapped by a made-up person, and was acquitted despite the kid being found dead. I guess you could argue the Ramseys, too, though they never went to trial. So I do think there's somewhat a combo of the Ramseys and Anthony that's made some parents realize that, like Mohandas said, the secret is to make something up to stall the police long enough to either get rid of the body totally or make sure the body is never found.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

The Lindbergh baby says Holla!!
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    The most prominent examples I can think of, pre-Anthony, where a mother was the last person alone with her children and then claimed that they were kidnapped and/or killed by a mysterious stranger are Diane Downs and Susan Smith. And both ended up convicted. The vague blaming of men like a "bushy haired stranger" (in Diane Downs' case) and the "strange black man" (in Smith's case) even became a cliche for a person obviously covering up a crime. Like the very funny South Park episode where Butters' mom tries to drown him in the car, but the car floats, unknown to his mom, and Butters go walking around Colorado searching for a Bennigan's. Then the parents, thinking Butters is dead, go to the press and tell them he was abducted by "some Puerto Rican guy."

Casey Anthony was the first prominent case where the mother was the last person alone with the kid, then claimed the kid was kidnapped by a made-up person, and was acquitted despite the kid being found dead. I guess you could argue the Ramseys, too, though they never went to trial. So I do think there's somewhat a combo of the Ramseys and Anthony that's made some parents realize that, like Mohandas said, the secret is to make something up to stall the police long enough to either get rid of the body totally or make sure the body is never found.
    Other prominent cases within the last year:

Amir Jennings, 18 months - last seen November 2011 with mother. Mom has given conflicting information as to his whereabouts. Still missing.

Tanner, Alexander, and Andrew Skelton - ages 5, 7, and 9, last seen with father November 2010. Father said he left all three with the wife of a pastor because he was going to commit suicide. Then, with some secret organization. Still missing.

Hailey Dunn - age 13, reported missing Dec. 27, 2010. Stepfather and bio mother have both failed polygraphs. Still missing.

Aliayah Lunsford - age 3, last seen with mother and reported missing on September 24, 2011. Mom claims she checked on her in bed at 6:30 am and that by 9:30 am she was gone. Still missing.

Jhessey Shockley - age 5, last seen with mother and reported missing on October 11, 2011. Soon after, three of Jhesey's older siblings admitted lying to police at the urging of their mom. Still missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean James View Post
    The Lindbergh baby says Holla!!
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Although if you want to be technical about it, the Lindbergh baby was last seen by/in the care of his nanny, Betty Gow, not the parents. There was one staff member in the house who was rumored to have collaborated with the real kidnappers, if you believe that Hauptmann was innocent, a maid named Violet Sharp. Apparently she gave different stories about her whereabouts the night of the kidnapped and who she was with. She committed suicide shortly about the baby's body was found.

I don't want to be technical about jokes. I just like to enjoy them.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Plus "technical" and "rumored" should never be seen together!

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Also, forgot to mention Kyron Horman, who disappeared in 2010, and whose guardian at the time has behaved suspicously.
    Kyron's bio-mom recently made another public plea to the bitch Terri to disclose what happened.

God damn. I know mothers and fathers have been killing their kids forever, but having the internet and being able to follow the cases makes me want torture brought back in as an interrogation technique. And to see if it works, test it on Casey Anthony.
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

Torture doesn't work. Torture makes people say what they think the torturer wants to hear to make it stop. The fact that you believe in it chips away at your humanity.

-- Stephen Hawking

I'm just frustrated that there's so many missing children out there. And life itself chips away at my humanity.
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

Plus "technical" and "rumored" should never be seen together!
    It's fact that Betty Gow was the last person to be with the Lindbergh baby, the rumor is that Violet Sharp or some other staff member was in on the kidnapping. Apparently the Lindberghs never stayed during the week at their home near Hopewll, NJ where the baby was kidnapped, and only stayed a couple of extra days on that occasion because the kid was sick. So there's speculation a staff member tipped somebody off, because a stranger couldn't know the Lindberghs deviated from their schedule.

The Lindbergh kidnapping is kind of like the JFK assassination: tons of different conspiracy theories and a lot of for/against Hauptmann. There's a lot of stuff still unexplained (even a group that believe Lindbergh himself killed the baby, alleging that he was embarrassed cause the kid had some sort of disability caused by Anne Morrow Lindbergh flying at high altitudes while pregnant).

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    I'm just frustrated that there's so many missing children out there. And life itself chips away at my humanity.
    Stop that! Go hug some puppies or something and don't obsess about all the dark stuff that you can't change.

-- Stephen Hawking

Don't forget the little boy that was 'abducted' from the car on the side of the roard, that ran out of gas--while the Mom and Sister walked to get gas. Come on now....and the Police even said it was a fucking plot on a recent TV show.

I still cannot believe they haven't arrested that Step Mom in the Kyron Hormon case. Makes me nuts.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information