Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Appearance on Dr. Phil show leads to child abuse charge against Alaska woman

Any adult can inflict any torture on a small child. But they forget- that kid will grow up. If you have lost control of a tiny boy, get some frigging help.
    This soap in the mouth idea seems appalling. Just because your parents tried that on you does not make it alright. Thank God my parents never even thought of that one.
    My kid behaved in public and mostly private because I gave him rules. It required no physical violence ever, and he is a decent hard working, tax paying man who STILL has good manners.
    That woman in the video is a vicious bitch who deserves jail time. She is sadistic and just loves abusing small children. I could cheerfully run her over and/or rip her head off.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

If you quietly get on with raising your kids to be polite, respectful, unentitled, friendly, pleasant good citizens they probably won't act up in the first place. Parenting 101.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Well, I'm not a parent so I can't give a testimonial on how to raise a perfect little snowflake, but as a few posters have noted, this is not her bio kid, he's one she adopted from a Russian orphanage at age 5.

I'm not excusing what she did in the least, it was totally wrong, but I do suspect she was at the end of her rope and that all other attempts at discipline failed. Things that probably worked with her other kids. But this kid could have attachment disorder, FAS or worse.

Too many people jump into these adoptions having no clue what they're getting themselves into. They think love will conquer all and obviously it doesn't.

However, if it turns out her other kids were abused as well, then I take back everything I just typed.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Even if her other kids weren't abused it doesn't make what she's doing to this boy right in any way. Families where all the kids are biologically related can have a scapegoat child that all the abuse is heaped on while the others go unscathed. How often do we hear of the child locked up, malnourished, etc while the others attend school, the family appears normal and none of the neighbours even knew of the one child's existence? Too often. The adoption may not be a factor at all.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I personally don't like how she chooses to punish him and it isn't working for her anyway. The child most likely has deep psychological issues if he was in an orphanage as a baby. I know people who were adopted from European orphanages and they weren't held as babies or anything, that causes a lot of psychological damage and they still have all of these deeprooted issues now because of it. I don't like how she's punishing the kid, but it's even worse considering his background. She should have gotten her child some professional help.
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Even if her other kids weren't abused it doesn't make what she's doing to this boy right in any way. Families where all the kids are biologically related can have a scapegoat child that all the abuse is heaped on while the others go unscathed. How often do we hear of the child locked up, malnourished, etc while the others attend school, the family appears normal and none of the neighbours even knew of the one child's existence? Too often. The adoption may not be a factor at all.
    Yes, but aren't those types very secretive? Not the kind who would send a video like that to freakin' Dr Phil? Seems this woman was feeling guilt and desperation to do something that stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by SuriCruise View Post
    I personally don't like how she chooses to punish him and it isn't working for her anyway. The child most likely has deep psychological issues if he was in an orphanage as a baby. I know people who were adopted from European orphanages and they weren't held as babies or anything, that causes a lot of psychological damage and they still have all of these deeprooted issues now because of it. I don't like how she's punishing the kid, but it's even worse considering his background. She should have gotten her child some professional help.
    I agree, her method of discipline was entirely wrong and only making the problem worse. They would both benefit from professional help, because she obviously doesn't know how to deal with him.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I am also bothered by the fact that she had her 10 year old daughter film her abuse.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I was wrong.

Watched the video. The fear is pretty intense.

I also want to add---
    the measure of whether something is abuse or not, is NOT whether other people had it done to them and they turned out "just fine." Some, or possibly most, people are resilient.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I think to call her a monster, strictly speaking, is to kind of take power away from the term "monster". I mean, if this woman is a "monster" then what do we call people who break their kids limbs, burn them with cigarettes and sexually molest them? "Super-duper monsters?"

In my opinion, though, this person's parenting has gone off the rails. It's all about getting right in his face and making him feel fear. I don't see anything where she actually talks with him about the situation he was in, describing how it's wrong, and advising him on what the best/moral thing to do would be. To me, he is being conditioned to do the right thing mainly because he is in fear of the parent, not because it's the right thing to do.

In our house, punishment consists exclusively of time outs. Our kids hate to be excluded from what's going on in the house, and it works very well. I really sympathize with the small percentage of families where something like that just doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    In my opinion, though, this person's parenting has gone off the rails. It's all about getting right in his face and making him feel fear. I don't see anything where she actually talks with him about the situation he was in, describing how it's wrong, and advising him on what the best/moral thing to do would be. To me, he is being conditioned to do the right thing mainly because he is in fear of the parent, not because it's the right thing to do.
    This. She never discussed what happened that lead to the whateverthehellcoloured cards he got. She didn't even need to go to the kitchen for the sauce. She keeps the damn bottle in the bathroom for convenience. I wonder how frequently she does this that she'd need to do that. Of course the child is going to lie to try to avoid it.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    I also want to add---
    the measure of whether something is abuse or not, is NOT whether other people had it done to them and they turned out "just fine." Some, or possibly most, people are resilient.
    Yeah I never understand that. So you were sauced and beaten with a belt every day and turned out great. Some kids end up being abusers themselves after that kind of upbringing. Or serial killers. Some people are stronger and can take it while others are severely traumatized by that kind of treatment.

This woman seemed to enjoy what she was doing. Having her ten year old daughter videotape the whole thing is sick. She's a sadistic monster.

Hey - this is for all you SICKOS advocating child abuse!!!!!

Sickos at GossipRocks Advocate Child Abuse! - DREAM Act Portal Forum

Personally, I advocate abusing asshole trolls.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I advocate putting the ex-trolls on a long flight in charge of a half a dozen feral kids who've only ever had inconsistent (or zero) discipline imposed upon them.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I do not advocate torturing small children. I do advocate torturing mikesandy and gristledonna.

-- Stephen Hawking

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information