Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Alleged abductor of California teen killed in Idaho wilderness; captive rescued

Or she could be a total sociopath that manipulated him. I'm super curious to see where this goes.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Sadly, I am too. I find her resillience to be quite extraordinary in the face of what's happened here.
    Brookie and lindsaywhit like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Or she could be a total sociopath that manipulated him. I'm super curious to see where this goes.
    Remember, though, the sheriff's department, which has access to the letters, and the phone call log (but not the content of them) says that nothing that they have found supports anything other than that Hannah was a victim in this.

Ironically, though, there is an active case within a couple of miles from where I live, where a 15-year-old teen girl active plotted with her 19-year-old boyfriend to kill her father in their home. While she didn't physically participate, the boyfriend said it was her idea and both were charged with murder. As further irony, the girl is apparently on the autism spectrum, has difficulty picking up social cues, and the father not only discontinued her therapy (against the mother's wishes), but also never got her an individualized educational program while she was in public schools here.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Remember, though, the sheriff's department, which has access to the letters, and the phone call log (but not the content of them) says that nothing that they have found supports anything other than that Hannah was a victim in this.

Ironically, though, there is an active case within a couple of miles from where I live, where a 15-year-old teen girl active plotted with her 19-year-old boyfriend to kill her father in their home. While she didn't physically participate, the boyfriend said it was her idea and both were charged with murder. As further irony, the girl is apparently on the autism spectrum, has difficulty picking up social cues, and the father not only discontinued her therapy (against the mother's wishes), but also never got her an individualized educational program while she was in public schools here.
    There are TONS of those types of stories out there. We're raising kids who want it all and they want it NOW. And the shit they will do to get what they want is unlimited...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I get what you are saying but I don't expect the Sheriff's Department to say we have evidence that Hannah was involved until they are ready to arrest her. I could be way off base here but it is some seriously weird way to show you just lost your mother, brother, dog and were kidnapped by going for a mani/pedi and posing with your ducklips out.
    Mel1973, olivia and lindsaywhit like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Of course a law enforcement agency won't discuss anything regarding an ongoing suspects surveillance. It's common sense (for us!).
    I don't think they say that the 13 calls were made on the same day. They say there were 13 calls before the phones were cut off. So, those calls could have been same day, over several days, or over several weeks. Given that this guy was allowed to be a pervasive part of Hannah's and Ethan's lives, it wouldn't surprise me that there were calls between them.

It will be interesting to see what other information they find out - purely for forensic and psychological purposes. Even in the incredibly unlikely event she was involved with this guy, DiMaggio had years and years of availability to condition her and control her as a trusted friend. Hannah's behavior when abducted and confronted by the horse riders was very similar to Elizabeth Smart's -- both paralyzed by fear that they (and any would-be rescuers) would be killed on the spot if she tried to escape or tell others that she had been kidnapped.
    That's the "weird" thing isn't it? People that like to have relationships with kids and grrom them are coherent, likeable, etc etc. Not the unwashed ogres/tramps/weirdos of popular fiction.

I hope that Hannah didn't have anything to do with this, I understand the comments re Facebook but perhaps its being in denial that this whole situation happened?
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Of course a law enforcement agency won't discuss anything regarding an ongoing suspects surveillance. It's common sense (for us!).
    That's the "weird" thing isn't it? People that like to have relationships with kids and grrom them are coherent, likeable, etc etc. Not the unwashed ogres/tramps/weirdos of popular fiction.

I hope that Hannah didn't have anything to do with this, I understand the comments re Facebook but perhaps its being in denial that this whole situation happened?
    Here's what annoys me about this. I think it is incredibly irresponsible for the sheriff's department to release information that could easily have an invidious interpretation. Why do we need to know there were letters from her to him? Or that there were used condoms? They could have just said that they are sorting through a large amount of physical evidence found at his cabin and leave it at that until they decide it's warranted to accuse someone else of being involved. Instead, we have a situation where a person who lost her mother and her brother in the most horrific manner is not only dealing with that loss but is now under suspicion of being involved.

I agree that her reaction (or her father's for that matter) to the deaths is not something I would imagine exhibiting if I were one of the survivors. My son is 8. If I lost him, I don't think I wouldn't be able to get a single complete sentence out of my mouth for weeks, but that's me. I'm super emotional.
    Novice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    Something is fishy with this whole thing. I heard she had made 13 calls to this guy on the day he killed her Mom and brother. Makes you wonder if she wasn't messing around with him, and Mom ended up finding out and tried to put a stop to it. The girl wouldn't be the first kid that hated her parents and wanted out to be with a guy she shouldn't. Not saying that is the case,....but something is just off with it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    If you look at the link further up (I couldn't get the article to post) there's a load of smiling selfies she posted after getting a manicure after coming home and she was answering questions online from other net users. Like I said, she seems very resilient in the face of everything. Everyone deals with things in their own way, I know, but me - I'd be in a lot more of a mess.
    Here's what annoys me about this. I think it is incredibly irresponsible for the sheriff's department to release information that could easily have an invidious interpretation. Why do we need to know there were letters from her to him? Or that there were used condoms? They could have just said that they are sorting through a large amount of physical evidence found at his cabin and leave it at that until they decide it's warranted to accuse someone else of being involved. Instead, we have a situation where a person who lost her mother and her brother in the most horrific manner is not only dealing with that loss but is now under suspicion of being involved.

I agree that her reaction (or her father's for that matter) to the deaths is not something I would imagine exhibiting if I were one of the survivors. My son is 8. If I lost him, I don't think I wouldn't be able to get a single complete sentence out of my mouth for weeks, but that's me. I'm super emotional.
    I've been reading lots of speculation online too...but I think it's more about Hannah's own behavior--mainly her posting on social media--than about what info the police are releasing. Some say it's just a generational thing, this is how kids nowadays act...others think it means more. Who knows. Personally, I think it would be in her best interests to stay off the internet right now. I realize her mom is gone, but where is dad? You'd think he'd be putting a stop to it, but it seems she continues to have very little adult guidance and supervision.

Also, I read that the parents were separated at the time of the kidnapping/murders. Not sure how long, but the father had moved out and was living in Tennessee. Might be a big reason Hannah was so vulnerable to the crazy guy's attentions...major turmoil in the family.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

(CNN) -- James DiMaggio's family is requesting DNA samples from the family of Hannah Anderson, the 16-year-old girl he's accused of kidnapping and whose mother and brother were found dead in his burned home. The reason? They want to know if he was the biological father of the children, Hannah and 8-year-old Ethan, the family spokesman said. "We are going to be requesting from the Anderson family that we try to get DNA samples from Hannah. And if they have anything left from Ethan, that we get a DNA sample," family spokesman Andrew Spanswick told CNN affiliate KGTV. "There has been a lot of rumors that Jim might be the father of either or both children."Reached by CNN, Spanswick said DiMaggio's sister, Lora, is making the request, but would not elaborate further.

A complex case

There was a time when the Hannah Anderson abduction case seemed clear-cut. DiMaggio, a close Anderson family friend, allegedly kills Hannah's mother and brother, burns his house down, kidnaps Hannah and goes on the run. After a frantic weeklong manhunt, he is spotted in the Idaho wilderness and shot dead by an FBI agent. Hannah is safe and reunited with her father.

That was on August 10. With each passing day since then, the case has taken on added complexity.

On Monday, the Anderson family spokeswoman told CNN that DiMaggio, 40, left a life insurance policy from his job as a telecommunications tech that named Hannah and Ethan's grandmother, Bernice Anderson, as the beneficiary. Stacy Hess, the spokeswoman, did not know the dollar amount but other media outlets put it around $110,000. "We find it very strange that he has left all this money without any explanation," Spanswick told KGTV, in explaining the need for the DNA tests. "It states specifically that he didn't want to give it to either parent cause he didn't trust them," Spanswick said, referring to Hannah's parents. The Anderson children called DiMaggio "Uncle Jim." One search warrant referred to Hanna's mother as DiMaggio's "best friend's wife."

Hanna spotted with captor

Then there is this.Hannah was in a car with DiMaggio about 20 hours before he allegedly set fire to his house, police said Tuesday. The two were seen in DiMaggio's blue Nissan Versa just after midnight Sunday, August 4, said San Diego County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Jan Caldwell. She confirmed reporting from the Los Angeles Times that the two were spotted at a U.S. Border Patrol checkpoint. Caldwell did not say what the two were doing together, or if Hannah Anderson was with DiMaggio voluntarily. CNN was unable to get an Anderson family response to this revelation as well.

Actions raise eyebrows

Some of Hannah's actions have raised eyebrows in some quarters. A friend of Hannah's told authorities "DiMaggio took her on multiple day trips," according to a search warrant. The same document said phone records indicate the two "called each other approximately 13 times" shortly before both their phones were turned off around 4 p.m. (7 p.m. ET) on August 4. That was around the time that Hannah was picked up from cheerleading practice at Sweetwater High School, the warrant says while noting it wasn't known who picked her up. The same document notes that a fire was reported at around 8 p.m. later that day at DiMaggio's two-story log cabin and a detached garage in Boulevard, California. After battling the fire, authorities found the dead bodies of the teenager's mother, Christina Anderson, and Ethan. An affidavit claimed that both had been "tortured and killed" by DiMaggio, who then set his home and garage ablaze. A fire captain found Christina Anderson face down in the garage, covered with a tarp, and with a crowbar and what appeared to be blood next to her head.

The manhunt

An Amber Alert was issued the next day. The ordeal ended about 1,000 miles from where it started, on August 10, when an FBI tactical agent shot and killed DiMaggio in the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness, about 15 miles outside Cascade, Idaho. As to Hannah, she was physically unharmed and soon returned to her family in Southern California. The teenager hasn't spoken publicly or with reporters since the ordeal. But she did field anonymous questions on the website ask.fm, according to Alan MacNabb, whose son is one of Hannah's closest friends. In those comments, she said she did not want to go with her "dad's best friend" and that, had she tried to escape from him, "He would have killed me."

San Diego County deputies searching DiMaggio's charred home found a handwritten note, handcuff box, camping equipment, a DNA swab kit, two used condoms and letters from Hannah, according to an affidavit. Contents of the letters and the handwritten note were not revealed in the affidavit.
    James DiMaggio family wants DNA samples for Hannah Anderson, brother - CNN.com

This gets loonier every update.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Yea,...this whole thing is just off somehow. I wonder if there is more to it that Hannah isn't telling authorities.

I'm really curious as to why they think he is the father of those children. Just because of the money? Why save his "daughter" and not his "son"? It is probably just a money grab by his family.

They said that Brett Anderson's DNA was used in helping to identify Ethan,...so I would say DiMaggio isn't the Dad of the boy. They also said the family met DiMaggio when the Mom was pregnant with Hannah,...so it doesn't seem like it would be possible.

I think the family of DiMaggio wonders since he changed the beneficiary from his sister to the kids recently. They stated they don't want the money, but want to know if the girl is family. Who knows about people anymore though,...they could think they are getting screwed out of $112,000.

Well I wouldn't expect them to say hey we are doing this for the money but isn't it just about always about money?

I would think the cops know that Brett is Ethan's Dad, since they used his DNA to identify the boy. So that DiMaggio family should know that already, too. Probably just money grubbers...lol

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information