Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Alabama man kills bus driver, kidnaps 6-year-old boy

The temp dropped a lot last night after the rain came through, so I hope the child was warm last night. I guess being underground it would retain warmth longer, but still.
    Sylkyn likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I wondered what his medical condition was, so thanks for the info Laurent. Savannah asked the people they interviewed this morning about it on Today, and they dodged the question. Not sure why,..??? I did read that the bunker is equipped with tv, food and power.

I must have missed that, Jadestar70. That makes me feel a little better. On the other hand, it is more worrisome--this jackoff can spend weeks or months down there if he so chooses.

Elite Member

If all those kids on the bus were armed, this wouldn't have happened.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Alabama bunker hostage boy’s family is ‘holding on by a thread’

The family of an Alabama boy abducted from his school bus and being held in an underground bunker is “holding on by a thread,” a state representative said Thursday as the hostage drama stretched into a third day.

The boy, a 5-year-old named Ethan, is receiving necessary medication and appears to be calm and doing well, a state senator said.

The child was kidnapped Tuesday after school when a man stormed the bus and demanded the driver hand over young children. When the driver refused, the man shot and killed him and grabbed the boy, authorities said.

A source close to the investigation identified the suspected gunman to NBC News as Jimmy Lee Dykes, 65, and said that he was a loner and survivalist who “does not trust the government” and holds “anti-American views.”

Hostage negotiators were reportedly talking to Dykes through a PVC pipe. After a second night ended with no sign of progress in negotiations, Alabama state Rep. Steve Clouse told TODAY: “We are all just hoping this can come to a safe end.”

The boy’s family is “holding on by a thread,” he said.

Clouse told The Associated Press that the bunker was equipped with power, food and television.

Alabama state Sen. Harri Anne Smith told TODAY that negotiators had delivered medication that the boy needed, provided by his mother, and that he was believed to be calm and doing well. His mother has “taken comfort in that,” she said.

In the remote town of Midland City, just north of the Alabama-Florida state line, people attended church vigils Wednesday night, lighting candles and praying for the boy’s safe release.

“Right now the whole town seems like they’re just in a mourning stage,” convenience store manager Carl McKenzie told NBC affiliate WSFA. “I would go take that child’s place if I could, just to get him out of danger.”

Authorities offered no hints to the gunman’s motive. Clause said the kidnapping appeared random.

Read more: Hostage suspect was loner, missed court appearance

People in Midland City said that they had seen the suspect tirelessly digging up his own yard, even his driveway, sometimes in the middle of the night — apparently building what one man in the neighborhood described as a bomb shelter fortified by sand.

Dykes burst onto the yellow school bus about 3:40 p.m. Tuesday, authorities said. When the driver, Charles Albert Poland Jr., 66, tried to stop Dykes from taking children off the bus, he was shot and killed. The source close to the investigation told NBC News that four spent bullets were found at the scene.

The county school system said that 21 students had made it off the bus safely, and praised Poland as a fallen hero. But the gunman made off with the one child, possibly because the boy fainted during the siege, according to WSFA.

Clouse said gratitude was being expressed for Poland’'s actions, telling TODAY: “He started the day as a bus driver and ended it a hero.”

Hostage negotiators have been talking to Jimmy Lee Dykes, 65, who abducted a kindergartner from his school bus Tuesday. NBC's Gabe Gutierrez reports.
    Linda Williams, a county tax clerk whose cousin was married to Poland, described him to NBC News as “a good Christian man” who was active in church.

“It says in the Bible the meek will inherit the earth,” brother-in-law Melvin Skipper told The Dothan Eagle newspaper. “He was the meekest man I knew.”

Poland’s neighbor, Hilburn Benton, told the newspaper that Poland refused to accept payment for work on his yard two years ago. “He told me, ‘You’re my friend and you’re my neighbor. I’m not charging you a dime,’” Benton recalled.

Dykes had been due in court Wednesday morning to face a misdemeanor charge of menacing. A neighbor, James E. Davis Jr., claimed that Dykes had pointed a pistol at his truck on Dec. 10 and fired the weapon.

The Associated Press said Dykes was accused of shooting at his neighbors in a dispute over a speed bump.

Dale County Board of Education

Charles Albert Poland Jr., who had driven a school bus for Dale County, Ala., since 2009, was shot and killed.
    The Dothan Eagle quoted another neighbor, Michael Creel, describing the bunker as a “homemade bomb shelter,” roughly 4 feet wide, 6 feet long and 8 feet deep and covered by several feet of sand.

Another neighbor, Danny Dean, told NBC News that he had dug up his own driveway.

Rhonda Wilbur told WSFA that Dykes was a longtime source of concern in the neighborhood because “he has been like a time bomb waiting for him to go off.” Wilbur told reporters that Dykes had beaten her dog to death with a lead pipe.

A minister, Michael Senn, told WSFA that the other children ran for safety and hid behind Destiny Church.

“All the kids are at a safe place,” he said, though he added that they all appeared to be in shock.

In addition to the county sheriff’s department, the FBI and a SWAT team were on the scene. A woman answering the phone at the Midland Police Department said the FBI had completely taken over and that local police were no longer involved. Authorities ordered people living nearby to leave during the standoff.

Schools in Dale County and the nearby city of Ozark were closed for the rest of the week. Dale County schools said counselors would be available to help students, including those who were on the bus.

Alabama bunker hostage boy's family is 'holding on by a thread' - U.S. News

Any word yet? I suppose not or this thread wouldn't have been buried. I can't stop hoping the best for this poor little guy.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

At least he's still alive as far as we know.

I wonder if this lunatic has made any demands? I assumed this was some sort of paranoid-schizo political statement.

I hear local police are off the case now, and the FBI has taken over the hostage situation. If I was this boys Mom, they would have to sedate me. I would want to stick a shotgun barrel down this guys throat. No way I could just sit around and wait.

^ The FBI have been there since at least yesterday, so I don't think it's a case of the locals refusing help until now. I know you didn't imply that, but I've seen it said other places, so I was just throwing it out there.

There's no change yet. I've got the 5 o'clock news on and they haven't said anything new.

Law enforcement and the parents must feel so helpless. There really isn't anything that can be done until this stark raving lunatic decides to end this nightmare.

They updated about 30 minutes ago - not much has changed; still negotiating. It's supposed to freeze tonight, so hope the child is warm. According to his family, his 6th birthday is coming up next week.
    birdie likes this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I cannot even imagine what his parents are going through. God bless this little boy. I hope the scumbag comes to his senses. So sick of tragic deaths at the hands of lunatics.

Lawd, will this never end? Who care how long I guess if that baby is just OK at the end.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Best of luck and "may God be with you" (or the agnostic equivalent) to the FBI negotiators.
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

Why do these psychos target children?
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information