Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man uses electric dog collar on step-daughter

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Man uses electric dog collar on step-daughter

Oct. 13, 2005 - A Wisconsin man is facing child abuse charges for allegedly shocking his 8-year-old stepdaughter with an electric dog collar because she was eating her breakfast too slowly.

Gerald Majeres, 34, is sitting in a jail in Jackson, Wis., charged with felony child abuse, after police say he attached an electric dog collar to his stepdaughter's leg and shocked her because he and the girl's biological mother thought she was not eating her breakfast fast enough.

On Oct. 10, police told ABC News affiliate WISN-TV in Milwaukee that the girl's mother threatened to wake up Majeres if she did not eat her breakfast faster. Ultimately, she woke up Majeres, police said, and he brought out and used the electric collar.

His arrest came after an employee at the girl's elementary school noticed marks on the girl's thigh and contacted police and social services.

According to the criminal complaint against Majeres, the girl told investigators that her stepfather put the shock collar which he normally used on the family dog on her leg. Using a remote control, Majeres allegedly set the collar to level "4" and zapped the girl.

The girl, investigators say, told them that her stepfather said she was lucky he did not set the collar to "6," a level he uses for the dog, and that he threatened to shoot her pet rabbit while she was at school because she does not take care of it.

Mom Calls Daughter a 'Chronic Liar'
    According to the complaint, the girl said the shock caused her to cry "a lot because it hurt a lot," and that Majeres threatened to continue to put the shock collar on her every morning "so that she gets done faster" with breakfast.
    Police and social services officials say that when they came to the girl's home and confronted her mother, she immediately asked them if their visit was about "her chronic liar daughter." Majeres, police said, initially denied using the shock collar on his stepdaughter but then said he might have accidentally zapped her. According to the complaint, Majeres eventually told police he used the collar to "calm down" his stepdaughter.

After initially being placed in foster care, the girl is now living with a relative, investigators told WISN. The girl's mother had no comment for WISN-TV but police say she told them that her daughter is lying about the electric collar and that neither she nor her biological father want custody of her.

Majeres has been ordered not to have contact with the girl and is scheduled to make a court appearance on Oct. 17. If convicted of felony child abuse, he faces up to six years in prison.
    OK, I have a few things I want to bring up here: First, what the fuck kind of fresh hell is this electric dog collar thing? I've never heard of it and I cannot believe this sadistic kind of thing is actually sold freely. I mean, the family dog must be a real treat around the neighborhood.
    Second, he threatens to shoot the pet rabbit? Gun control, please.
    Third, can we find out where this 'mother' is and go, en masse, and beat the living crap out of her? Or better yet, slap that electric dog collar around her crazy head and zap her at 11.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Electric collars are generally used to train dogs not to leave the property. I've known people who have used it successfully to allow the dogs to run loose in the yard, without having to put up a visible fence. There is an electric "fence" running underground around the perimeter of the property. If the dog crosses, it gets an electric charge, enough to discourage the dog from crossing. It starts out with flags all around the yard, then you remove flags at stages until the dog stays within the bounds without crossing the invisible line. I haven't considered it myself. When I had a dog, I had one that would be so far across the line, he wouldn't notice the shock until it was too late for the training aid.

Naturally, no sane human would try to use it on a child. But clearly these are low-life degenerates: mother, stepfather, biological father. Hopefully the family who have her is not like them.

But if you wouldn't use on a human, why would you use it on a dog? I am really blown away by this. I can't even begin to imagine who thought this little device up. I know people aren't supposed to let their dogs out anymore (and that's a whole OTHER discussion) but get a tall fence or something. Don't electrically shock a poor helpless animal.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

[QUOTE=Frank_Rizzo;10041]

Obviously the collars also do harm to animals if the same collar gave a girl a noticeable wound... and when he uses it on the dog it's 2 levels more intense... how is that legal????

[QUOTE]

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. WTF?
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

From what I understand, you'd use different levels for different animals and supposedly dogs have higher tolerances.

I had a fenced yard, and I only had my dog outside (in the fenced area) when I was home and able to keep and eye on him. The rest of the time he was outside, he was on a leash. I never considered the electric fence, I don't know why anyone needs it, I think fences are great for privacy.

I'm not trying to justify the use of electric fences/collars. I was only explaining it.

We tried an electric fence w/ our dog, but it didn't work at all. We taught her where the boundaries were & she ran outside the fence once & was scared to go out back for the longest time period. We finally just got her a chain for whenever she needed to go out.

One of my neighbors dog is constantly jumping through his fence--which makes me think it's not set high enough or he just has a very high tolerance for pain.
    A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

So, to bring up another subject related to this: do you think it's right to make people keep thier pets on thier property? I know there have been attacks, etc. but when I was a kid there were dogs all over the place and you knew which ones not to fuck with. Opinions?

--Sinclair Lewis

I think people should have to keep their dogs on their property.

What if you don't have pets & you don't want dogs pooping in your yard? It's not really fair that you have to clean that up, because someone let their dog loose. Get a fence or a chain for your dog.
    A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

I remember the dogs just pooping and digging it over. Once in awhile you'd step in it, or in my case, do a fucking HEADSTAND in it (LOL), but it never really seemed to bother anyone. It just feels like everyone has gotten so uptight about stuff that used to be taken for granted.

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Elise View Post
    I think people should have to keep their dogs on their property.

What if you don't have pets & you don't want dogs pooping in your yard? It's not really fair that you have to clean that up, because someone let their dog loose. Get a fence or a chain for your dog.
    Not to mention the danger to your pet.
    Some dogs you can NEVER allow loose. Greyhounds are sight dogs, and if they get distracted, they can run so far so fast, and never find their way back.
    Then there's the danger from cars, people, other animals, etc.

I don't allow my cats outside, either. They're healthy and happy, and it's not needed. They're also much safer, and not annoying my neighbors.

Until a few years ago, I had cats and I always let them out. They were fine, always came home like clockwork and never bothered the neighbors. The few times I had to keep them locked up, they went nuts.

--Sinclair Lewis

This has to be a training collar... to correct behavior. It has a remote control, and no "invisible fence" collar I know of has a remote.

I don't think any pets should be allowed to roam free, but that's me. It's an owner's responsibility to their pet to keep it safe. Especially with dogs... you're just asking for trouble if you let them run around on their own. Not only can they get hurt in numerous ways, but something could happen and they could bite someone and you and the dog would be screwed.

Well, my husband has banned pets unless we move to an area where they can roam free. And although I used to be against this (we live in the city) I am starting to see his point. Not because of the car dangers or anything like that but given that we live in an incredibly litigous society and I can only imagine getting sued because my dog licked the neighborhood kid and gave them cooties.

--Sinclair Lewis

My parents had a dog that was poisoned. The reason the neighbor gave was he didnt like the dog, daushund, going to the bathroom in his yard and he also said "one day he will be digging in my trash cans I know it". My mom seems to tell the story often even though I know it by heart. People can be so heartless.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information