Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crips Gang Co-Founder Executed in California

Default Crips Gang Co-Founder Executed in California

By KIM CURTIS, Associated Press Writer
    13 minutes ago

SAN QUENTIN, Calif. - Convicted killer Stanley Tookie Williams, the Crips gang co-founder whose case stirred a national debate about capital punishment and the possibility of redemption, was executed Tuesday morning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Williams, 51, died around 12:35 a.m. after receiving a lethal injection at San Quentin State Prison, officials said. Before the execution, he was "complacent, quiet and thoughtful," Corrections Department spokeswoman Terry Thornton said.

The case became the state's highest-profile execution in decades. Hollywood stars and capital punishment foes argued that Williams' sentence should be commuted to life in prison because he had made amends by writing children's books about the dangers of gangs and violence.

In the days leading up to the execution, state and federal courts refused to reopen his case. Monday, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger denied Williams' request for clemency, suggesting that his supposed change of heart was not genuine because he had not shown any real remorse for the countless killings committed by the Crips.

"Is Williams' redemption complete and sincere, or is it just a hollow promise?" Schwarzenegger wrote. "Without an apology and atonement for these senseless and brutal killings, there can be no redemption."

Williams was condemned in 1981 for gunning down convenience store clerk Albert Owens, 26, at a 7-Eleven in Whittier and killing Yen-I Yang, 76, Tsai-Shai Chen Yang, 63, and the couple's daughter Yu-Chin Yang Lin, 43, at the Los Angeles motel they owned. Williams claimed he was innocent.

Witnesses at the trial said Williams boasted about the killings, stating "You should have heard the way he sounded when I shot him." Williams then made a growling noise and laughed for five to six minutes, according to the transcript that the governor referenced in his denial of clemency.

Williams was the 12th person executed in California since lawmakers reinstated the death penalty in 1977.

About 1,000 death penalty supporters and opponents gathered outside the prison to await the execution. Singer Joan Baez, actor Mike Farrell and the Rev. Jesse Jackson were among the celebrities who protested the execution.

"Tonight is planned, efficient, calculated, antiseptic, cold-blooded murder and I think everyone who is here is here to try to enlist the morality and soul of this country," said Baez who sang "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" on a small plywood stage set up just outside the gates.

A contingent of 40 people who had walked the approximately 25 miles from San Francisco held signs calling for an end to "state-sponsored murder." Others said they wanted to honor the memory of Williams' victims.

Former Crips member Donald Archie, 51, was among those attending a candlelight vigil. He said he would work to spread Williams' anti-gang message.

"The work ain't going to stop," said Archie, who said he was known as "Sweetback" as a young Crips member. "Tookie's body might lay down, but his spirit ain't going nowhere. I want everyone to know that, the spirit lives."

Among the celebrities who took up Williams' cause were Jamie Foxx, who played the gang leader in a cable movie about Williams; rapper Snoop Dogg, himself a former Crip; Sister Helen Prejean, the nun depicted in "Dead Man Walking"; and Bianca Jagger. During Williams' 24 years on death row, a Swiss legislator, college professors and others nominated him for the Nobel Prizes in peace and literature.

"There is no part of me that existed then that exists now," Williams said recently during an interview with The Associated Press.

"I haven't had a lot of joy in my life. But in here," he said, pointing to his heart, "I'm happy. I am peaceful in here. I am joyful in here."

Williams' statements did not sway some relatives of his victims, including Lora Owens, Albert Owens' stepmother. In the days before his death, she was among the outspoken advocates that the execution should go forward.

"(Williams) chose to shoot Albert in the back twice. He didn't do anything do deserve it. He begged for his life," she said during a recent interview. "He shot him not once, but twice in the back. ... I believe Williams needs to get the punishment he was given when he was tried and sentenced."

SVZ

Default Re: Crips Gang Co-Founder Executed in California

WILLIAMS EXECUTED

The 51-year-old, who preached non-violence from his death row cell, was executed for the murder of four people during two robberies in 1979.

His death was announced at 12:35 am (local time) at San Quentin State Prison, outside San Francisco, despite desperate pleas for clemency from a string of high-profile sympathisers including actor JAMIE FOXX and hip-hop star SNOOP DOGG.

On 30 November (05), the pair teamed up to stage a special rally in Los Angeles in a bid to highlight his plight, maintaining that Williams' Nobel Peace Prize nominations for his work to prevent young people from forming gangs should exonerate him of previous offences.

But Schwarzenegger yesterday (12DEC05) refused to overturn the controversial death sentence saying, "Clemency cases are always difficult and this one is no exception. After studying the evidence, searching the history, listening to the arguments and wrestling with the profound consequences, I could find no justification for granting clemency.

"The facts do not justify overturning the jury's verdict or the decisions of the courts in this case."

Human rights activist JESSE JACKSON who met with Williams after the decision for 25 minutes, said the condemned man was prepared for his fate.

Jackson says, "He had a sense of inner peace. He has been in the valleys and channels of death before. He did not fear evil."

Williams was the 12th prisoner to be executed in California since capital punishment was reinstated in 1978.

13/12/2005 09:42

Contact Music

"Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

A*O

Does Jesse "Grandstander" Jackson really believe he's helping here??
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Seeya, wouldn't wanna be ya.

*ZZZZZAP*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bronze Member

I'm glad Arnold didn't buckle under the pressure from this scumbag's supporters (some of which are celebrities) and allowed the sentence to be carried out. This man killed 4 people in cold blood and deserved to die.

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSun
    I'm glad Arnold didn't buckle under the pressure from this scumbag's supporters (some of which are celebrities) and allowed the sentence to be carried out. This man killed 4 people in cold blood and deserved to die.
    Yeah,4 that they know of.

Well I for one am not shedding a tear.

I took an AOL poll yesterday where they asked if his life should be spared. It was close to 70% who said no. I have to admit I was shocked. It's not that I disagree but I would have thought people would stand more divided.

Bronze Member

He was (up the moment of death?) the leader of a GANG - and dangerous and deadly group if punks that tormented initially Southern California for years. 4 deaths? Yea right. He deserved exactly what he got - and the rest of them should be getting it as well.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I am not a death penalty advocate, but I'm not losing any sleep over Tookie's death.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

I'm not big on the death penalty myself. I know his crimes were horrible, but killing him won't undo them. And history has shown it certainly won't keep these crimes from being repeated. Or kids from taking a chance and joining gangs anyway, telling themselves that this won't happen to them. Now hearing this guy talk about his experiences....that might and probably has actually had an effect on some kids who might have chosen the same path.

I don't want to sound like I don't understand the feeling that he deserves to die or that he forfeited his right to life when he took the lives of those others. Heck if I were one of the loved ones of the victims then I would probably want to see his ass dead too. Maybe even in a similar manner as the execution of my loved one.

But it makes me feel uncomfortable that retribution is really all that is accomplished when the death penalty is carried out. And it partly makes me feel that we're only a smidge better than the society we were when executions were carried out in front of the general public for the viewing of all ages in the middle of the town square. At least if they still carried them out in this manner I'd be more willing to give merit to the theory of the *death penalty as a preventative measure*.

Unless it's an evil sociopathic genius psychopath like Hannibal Lector you're worried could escape and cause further damage (and they don't even kill those people, they keep them around to *study*) It's really just all about good old fashioned revenge. That's why it's the height of irony to me that most death penalty supporters are conservative christians (or vice versa actually). Aren't they supposed to also believe it's technically possible for a person to truly repent, experience forgiveness, and go to heaven?

I'm really more on the fence with this issue than this reply sounds. But in theory, I guess I oppose the death penalty.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by nana55
    I am not a death penalty advocate, but I'm not losing any sleep over Tookie's death.
    I never was before but after sitting here day after day watching Joseph Smith's murder trial on court tv and listening to things he did to 11 year old Carlie Brucia (she was just a baby!) well I am convinced some people deserve it.
    Last edited by euro-kitty; December 13th, 2005 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Rizzo
    I'm a very spiteful person!!!!
    Hey,that's one of my favorite things about you

I'm a flip flopper just like the man I voted for!!!
    Ha! I do to,but certain cases just touch your heart....I have nieces that age and I just can't bring myself to feel sympathy for someone who rapes and kills children.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Rizzo
    I think rotting in prison until the day you die is more unfavorable.
    Yes, I believe any reasonable person would agree with you. But, you have to remember that these monsters have no conscience or soul, and it doesn't bother them one bit to live out their days in jail. I used to get so mad at people, when discussing the Susan Smith case, who would say that it would be a greater punishment for her to live the rest of her life knowing what she did to her own babies. This woman maliciously let her babies roll into a lake and then spun a web of (racial) lies to cover herself. She lied over and over to her husband, the media, and the cops just so she wouldn't get caught. Putting her to death would have been the most justified killing in history, in my humble opinion.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information