Thread: Students fined for cursing

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Students fined for cursing

The Associated Press
    HARTFORD, Conn. - Bad words are costing Hartford Public and Bulkeley high schoolers $103 each.

Police officers assigned to the schools have fined about two dozen students for cursing in a new program to curtail unruly behavior. The joint effort by school and police officials targets students who swear while defying teachers and administrators.

"We're sending a message to the parents and to the teachers," said Sandy Cruz-Serrano, senior adviser to Superintendent of Schools Robert Henry. "We are trying to bring back order to the schools."

Parents are required to pay the fines if the students cannot.

"Our heads are spinning with that," said Sam Saylor, president of the district Parent Teacher Organization. "The kids are really indecent with their swearing and they're swearing at teachers. This is their way of curtailing it making the parents pay."

Keila Ayala, 17, a Hartford Public sophomore, said she was ticketed for shouting an expletive in an officer's face while handcuffed for taking a swing at him.

"It'll stop me from swearing," she said. "Well, it won't stop me from swearing, but I won't cuss at the teachers."

George Sugai, who teaches school discipline at UConn's Neag School of Education, is skeptical of the effort. "Research says that punishing kids doesn't teach them the right way to act," he said.

But Hartford Police Officer Roger Pearl said the program is working.

"Before, the kids were swearing all the time. It went from many incidents to almost nothing," he said. "It's quiet in the halls."

Information from: The Hartford Courant, http://www.courant.com

Copyright 2005 ABC News Internet Ventures

Ok, I'll say right off the bat that I think this is fucked up and stupid. And it's funny, because my sister was just telling me the other day how her son had worked on a state project building trails in the forest or something (he was over 18 when he did it) and there were several rules you had to follow in order to keep your job. No smoking and no cursing were the two I remember and my immediate response was 'are you fucking kidding me?'. I mean, you can't SWEAR now? FUCK THAT FUCK THAT FUCK THAT.

And yes, ok ok, you shouldn't swear at the teachers or the cops while taking a swing at them, but it just seems to me that they are treating the symptoms, not the disease.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Default Re: Students fined for cursing

$103 is a bit steep. What if you have Tourettes?

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

$103 is a bit steep. What if you have Tourettes?

'Fuck you, fucking copper. You'll never fucking take me fucking alive, asshole'

'That'll be 565 bucks, toilet mouth'.

And why such an arbitrary figure as 103? Why not 102 or 104?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

^^

My friend has Tourettes, bless her she's really good about it, she's no wallflower by any means but she'd clock up more than $565!

Thread Information