Thread: Schwarzenegger to consider convicted killer's clemency

Zoe
    Bronze Member

Default Schwarzenegger to consider convicted killer's clemency

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/26/wil....ap/index.html

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said he would consider granting clemency to convicted killer Stanley "Tookie" Williams, the Crips gang founder who became an anti-gang activist while in prison and was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

The governor said Friday he would meet December 8 in a private hearing with Williams' lawyers, Los Angeles County prosecutors and others involved.

Schwarzenegger has the authority to commute a death sentence to life without parole, but he is not obligated to hold a hearing. In Schwarzenegger's case, he decides clemency requests on a "case-by-case basis," spokeswoman Margita Thompson said.

Two other clemency petitions have come before Schwarzenegger. Neither was granted.

Williams, 51, faces a lethal injection on December 13 for the 1979 slayings of a Whittier convenience store clerk and three people at a Pico Rivera motel. He has maintained his innocence and has asked the California Supreme Court to reopen his case, alleging shoddy forensics wrongly connected him to three of the murders. The Supreme Court hasn't ruled on the petition.

Los Angeles County prosecutors and victims' relatives have demanded his execution.

Along with asking Schwarzenegger to commute Williams' death sentence, his lawyers submitted what they said were signatures of 32,000 people supporting his petition for clemency.

Supporters, including rapper Snoop Dogg and Ras Baraka, the deputy mayor of Newark, New Jersey, have urged Schwarzenegger to spare Williams' life so he can continue his work with young people as an anti-gang activist.

Williams founded the Crips with a childhood friend in 1971 in Los Angeles, where the gang battled rivals for territory and control of the drug trade.

In prison, however, Williams gained international acclaim for co-writing children's books about the dangers of gang life. An award-winning television movie starring Jamie Foxx, "Redemption," was based on his life.

Schwarzenegger, in dealing with the two previous clemency requests, denied a hearing last year for Kevin Cooper, whose execution was later stayed by a federal appeals court, and held a public hearing this year for Donald Beardslee but declined to spare him.
    heh.

Default Re: Schwarzenegger to consider convicted killer's clemency

Let him live. He will spend the rest of his life in prison helping others to learn from his example. If new evidence overturns his conviction, then he will do that on the outside. Surely that is a better use of society's resources than executing somebody on shaky evidence to satisfy the bloodlust of relatives/the state.

I understand that the relatives want punishment. But state-sanctioned murder is just wrong.

I would really hate to be in Schwarzenegger's place. Either way he loses and some large group of people are going to have an even more intense hatred for him. If he does not commute the sentence it will have national and international negative consequences and if he does he will alienate a big part of his political base....what are the opinions like in California? I wonder what the pollsters show the public is thinking..especially the Republican public in California?

There is more to this story. He shot a 7-11 worker twice in the back at point blank range. He also shot an entire Asian family to death at point blank range. He blew the daughter's face off, and referred to them as "buddah heads."

Sorry, i don't see how that kind of behavior is redeemable.
    Coffee is my happy drug

You don't consider what he's doing now, influencing young people who were just like him when he was young, redeemable? I do know the details in this case, at least those that were made public, and I don't think anyone is defending his heinous crimes. But what good can he do if he's dead? I think condemning someone to live their life in prison is a far worse punishment than killing them. I know I'd rather be dead.

But I come from a country that outlawed capital punishment a long time ago. I just don't understand the mind set, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    You don't consider what he's doing now, influencing young people who were just like him when he was young, redeemable? I do know the details in this case, at least those that were made public, and I don't think anyone is defending his heinous crimes. But what good can he do if he's dead? I think condemning someone to live their life in prison is a far worse punishment than killing them. I know I'd rather be dead.

But I come from a country that outlawed capital punishment a long time ago. I just don't understand the mind set, I guess.
    i just don't see how a person who has the capability to do these crimes, threaten the jurors during the trial with death, and start one of the most notorious gangs around suddenly repent and become 'good.'
    Coffee is my happy drug

I hope Stanley Williams is not given clemency. I do not care what he is doing with his life now; he deserves to be punished for his past crimes with death IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
    i just don't see how a person who has the capability to do these crimes, threaten the jurors during the trial with death, and start one of the most notorious gangs around suddenly repent and become 'good.'
    Well, I don't consider 24 years to be "suddenly." I'm not disputing he committed the crimes, or threatened the jurors. But if you truly believe that no one can ever change, then what is the point of religion or rehabilitation or anything?

He has demonstrated by his ACTIONS, not just words, over a long period of time that he intends to do good behind bars. How is he a threat to society there?

He is serving the rest of his life in prison. Killing him isn't going to accomplish a thing except prove that vengeance is more important than redemption. I know you are going to say he didn't show his victims mercy, but the whole point is that the system is supposed to rise above the behavior of the thug he was THEN. He's not getting out anyway, so I truly don't understand why he has to die. That doesn't seem very productive on any level.

It is not like he is being pardoned and set free...he has been incarcerated for 20 years + and all clemency will do is just maintain this status quo-he will remain in prison for the rest of his life. At least this way he can continue to pay back society in some positive ways for years to come. And aren't criminals ultimately punished for the crime they have comitted against the state by violating it's laws-not primarily for violating the rights of the victims?(If I am wrong about this(which I may be) then please feel free to correct this)

^^ You are correct. Convicted criminals are not punished to avenge the victims, but to address the offenses they have committed against the state.

Zoe
    Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Let him live. He will spend the rest of his life in prison helping others to learn from his example. If new evidence overturns his conviction, then he will do that on the outside. Surely that is a better use of society's resources than executing somebody on shaky evidence to satisfy the bloodlust of relatives/the state.

I understand that the relatives want punishment. But state-sanctioned murder is just wrong.
    I agree 100%.
    heh.

^^^^^^
    me too.

Thread Information