Thread: Briton suspect in Madeleine McCann hunt

Exclamation Briton suspect in Madeleine McCann hunt

Hi all

Just incase we have any Portuguese folks on the board, and they happen to know anything about all this, there is a major email campaign going on for information. GR has such a huuuge internet catchment that I thought maybe posting info about the missing girl on here might help in some small way.

BBC NEWS
    Briton suspect in Madeleine hunt
    A British man questioned over the disappearance of Madeleine McCann in Portugal is being treated as a suspect.

He is believed to be Robert Murat, who shares a villa with his mother Jenny in Praia da Luz, Algarve.

The man, who has since been released by police, may have requested suspect status for the legal rights it gives.

Officers searched the villa 150 yards from where four-year-old Madeleine of Rothley, Leicestershire, was last seen, and questioned three people.

Under the Portuguese legal system, arrests can only be made when police designate someone as an "arguido" or suspect, although no-one has been arrested yet in this case.

ARGUIDO STATUS
    Officially a suspect
    Bestowed by police or requested by individual
    Right to remain silent
    Right to a lawyer
    Must report to police every five days

A person may also ask for the arguido process to be invoked as it gives them specific protection such as access to a lawyer and the right to remain silent.

BBC correspondent Richard Bilton said a British man in his 30s has been given arguido status.

It is understood the other people questioned were a German woman and a Portuguese man.

The search of the property known as Casa Liliana began at 0700 local time on Monday after Sunday Mirror journalist Lori Campbell had spoken to the British Embassy and the police about Mr Murat.

He had become well known to journalists during the search for Madeleine.

Mr Murat, formerly of Hockering, Norfolk, describes himself as half-Portuguese and told reporters he had been helping police with translation work during the investigation.

Mr Murat's mother is a 71-year-old former nurse who has lived in Portugal for 40 years and brought her son and daughter up in the country.

His mother says that on the night the kid disappeared they were both in the house together all night
    Ralph Eveleigh, Robert Murat's uncle

Catherine Roberts, a friend of the family in Portugal, said: "Jenny is very well known around here - she has lived here most of her life.

"And the family has a very good reputation and a very good name."

Mr Murat's uncle, Ralph Eveleigh, who runs a bed and breakfast in the nearby village of Burgau, said his nephew had an alibi for the night Madeleine went missing.

"His mother says that on the night the kid disappeared they were both in the house together all night," he said.

"Robert is so sweet and good-natured. He was just trying to help."

Mr Murat's cousin, Sally Eveleigh, said there was "absolutely no way" he could have had anything to do with Madeleine's disappearance.

Officers in white suits with facemasks were seen at the Murat's villa and in its grounds on Monday evening.

It is believed police have drained its swimming pool and taken away computers, mobile phones and several video tapes.

Madeleine is believed to have been abducted while her parents were eating at a tapas bar.

On Monday, her parents Kate and Gerry McCann said they would not return to the UK until she was found safe and well.

Mr McCann, who is originally from Glasgow, said the couple would continue to believe she was being cared for until they received "concrete evidence to the contrary".

The international number for Crimestoppers is +44 1883 731 336. People with information about Madeleine can call anonymously.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/europe/6656451.stm

Published: 2007/05/15 16:09:23 GMT
    Also: BBC NEWS | In Pictures | In pictures: Search for Madeleine
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Hmmm...me thinks mum might be handing sonny-boy an excuse. Isn't it quite common for the killer/perpetrator to eagerly offer to help with searching for the victim or offering some other kind of help? I almost hope this is the guy so they can find out difinitively what happened to the little girl.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I just hope they find her quickly-lets just get it over with. I cannot imagine the torment of her parents.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Hmmm...me thinks mum might be handing sonny-boy an excuse. Isn't it quite common for the killer/perpetrator to eagerly offer to help with searching for the victim or offering some other kind of help? I almost hope this is the guy so they can find out difinitively what happened to the little girl.
    Yes, quite common. They like to involve themselves in the process. It's like they are re-living the crime over again.

Bronze Member

This is just a horrible story. I would be out of my mind if I were her mother. To have been right there...

Incidentally, this sort of reminds me of the Jonbenet thing in the US. She was attacked right near her parents. Right under their noses.

It kind of reminded me of the crackpot they got for the Jonbenet Ramsey murder and then found out it wasn't him, he seemed to just want the attention. Also, Ian Huntley was the same, he'd been on TV to talk about the murders he'd committed. Evil bastards.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Gossiputard View Post
    This is just a horrible story. I would be out of my mind if I were her mother. To have been right there...

Incidentally, this sort of reminds me of the Jonbenet thing in the US. She was attacked right near her parents. Right under their noses.
    Really. When you think of it, quite a few times taken from their very own rooms-Polly Klaas also. Creepy.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I hope they get something positive out of him,maybe he knows where the child is.
    Because,the girl is STILL missing,and with each passing day ,it gets worse,poor ,poor little angel...
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Thread Information