Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The Murdaugh murders (South Carolina)

Default The Murdaugh murders (South Carolina)

Have you guys been keeping track of this crazy story? A Mom (52) and son (22) are shot and killed last week at their house. It turns out the son was waiting to go on trial because of a girl who died on a boat that he was piloting? (They found her body in the water later.) And the grandfather just died, too, and they aren't saying the causes.

Yeah. I wondered if anyone else was.

SC man murdered with mom had drunken alter ego: report

The murdered son of a prominent South Carolina lawyer acted so strangely when he was drunk that his friends allegedly gave his boozed-up alter ego another name.
    Paul Murdaugh — who was facing trial in the alleged boozy death of 19-year-old Mallory Beach when he and his mother were shot to death on the family’s property last week — was reportedly called “Timmy” when he drank.

Investigators are now probing whether the 22-year-old man was the intended target of his and his mother’s murders.
    Murdaugh’s past drunken antics were described in a court deposition in a civil lawsuit against the young man, who was allegedly under the influence when a boat he drove crashed and killed Beach in 2019.

Paul Murdaugh, who was found murdered with his mother, Maggie Murdaugh, reportedly had a drunk “alter ego.”South Carolina Attorney General

”It’s a different name because he turns into a completely — totally different person,” said Anthony Cook, Beach’s boyfriend and Murdaugh’s cousin, in a deposition obtained by the Daily Mail.

“So somebody will say, ‘All right. Here comes Timmy. We got to go,’ ” Cook said.
    The deposition was part of a civil case filed against Murdaugh by Beach’s family, the report said.
    Murdaugh had stripped down to his underwear on the night of the boat accident as arguments broke out among six people onboard, Cook reportedly said.

“He started taking his clothes off during one of the arguments, and it is 40 degrees outside,” Cook said, according to the Mail. “I’ve seen him do it a few times when gets drinks. I don’t know why he does that.”
    Some passengers had urged Murdaugh to take the boat home, but he instead drove in circles, according to the report. At one point, Murdaugh either pushed or slapped another passenger, whom the Mail identified as his girlfriend, according to the deposition.
    The boat was in the waters near Hilton Head Island when it crashed and killed Beach, a University of South Carolina student, reports said.

Paul and Maggie Murdaugh (far left and center left) were found shot dead in Islandton, South Carolina.Facebook

Murdaugh and his mom, 52-year-old Maggie Murdaugh, were found dead with multiple gunshot wounds Monday near a dog kennel on family property in Islandton, police said.

Sources told the Island Packet that Paul was the apparent target, shot at least twice with a shotgun, while Maggie was killed with what appears to be an assault rifle.
    No arrests have been made.
    The Murdaugh family has included a long line of local elected prosecutors.
    Paul’s father, Alex, works for the prestigious law firm Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth and Detrick — which was founded by Randolph Murdaugh in 1910.

Police at the Islandton, South Carolina, home where Paul and Maggie Murdaugh were found dead on June 8, 2021.Andrew J. Whitaker/The Post And Courier via AP

AP
    Randolph Murdaugh III, 81, died just three days after the family tragedy, the law firm said.
    The Beach family issued a statement after Paul and his mother’s deaths, according to a report.
    “Having suffered the devastating loss of their own daughter, the family prays that the Murdaughs can find some level of peace from this tragic loss. They would like the family and the community to know that their thoughts and continued prayers are with the Murdaughs,” the family said in a statement to WTOC 11.
    With Post wires

https://nypost.com/2021/06/13/sc-man...er-ego-report/
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Son of prominent South Carolina legal family found murdered with mom may have been target

By Jesse O’Neill

June 12, 2021 | 10:55pm | Updated

Paul Murdaugh (second from right) had been ready to stand trial in connection with the death of Mallory Beach when he and his mom were found fatally shot on their South Carolina property.Facebook

The son of a prominent South Carolina attorney found murdered on his family’s property may have been the intended target of the shooting, which also left his mother dead, according to a local report.
    Investigators are probing the possibility that 22-year-old Paul Murdaugh — who was facing trial in connection with the death of a teenage girl — may have been the one marked in the attack, the Island Packet reported.

The University of South Carolina student and his mom, Maggie Murdaugh, 52, were found shot to death Monday on their sprawling estate in the center of the state.
    Paul had been facing three felony counts of boating under the influence in connection with a 2019 boat crash that killed 19-year-old Mallory Beach.

Investigators have theorized that the killer or killers were gunning for him, and his mother was killed by happenstance, according to the Island Packet.
    Paul Murdaugh (second from right) and his mom, Maggie, were fatally shot on June 7, 2021.Facebook

It remains unclear if the shootings were related to the 2019 tragedy, the report said. No arrests have been made.
    Sources told the newspaper that Paul was shot at least twice with a shotgun, while Maggie was killed with what appears to be an assault rifle.
    The family is connected to one of South Carolina’s most prestigious law firms.
    Paul Murdaugh was awaiting trial in the 2019 death of Mallory Beach.Facebook

Alex Murdaugh, the husband and father of the victims, works at Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth and Detrick, which was founded by Randolph Murdaugh in 1910.

Randolph Murdaugh III, 81, died just three days after the family tragedy, the law firm said.
    The late lawyer and his father and grandfather were all longtime elected prosecutors in the Beaufort community.
    The Beach family, which reportedly remains entangled in a civil suit against the Murdaugh family after the criminal case ended with Paul’s death, issued a statement of solidarity.
    Investigators have posited that Paul Murdaugh (left) was the target of the shooting. Facebook

”Having suffered the devastating loss of their own daughter, the family prays that the Murdaughs can find some level of peace from this tragic loss. They would like the family and the community to know that their thoughts and continued prayers are with the Murdaughs,” the family said in a statementto WTOC 11.
    With Post wires

The University of South Carolina student and his mom, Maggie Murdaugh, 52, were found shot to death Monday on their sprawling estate in the center of the state.
    Paul had been facing three felony counts of boating under the influence in connection with a 2019 boat crash that killed 19-year-old Mallory Beach.

Investigators have theorized that the killer or killers were gunning for him, and his mother was killed by happenstance, according to the Island Packet.
    Paul Murdaugh (second from right) and his mom, Maggie, were fatally shot on June 7, 2021.FacebookIt remains unclear if the shootings were related to the 2019 tragedy, the report said. No arrests have been made.
    Sources told the newspaper that Paul was shot at least twice with a shotgun, while Maggie was killed with what appears to be an assault rifle.
    The family is connected to one of South Carolina’s most prestigious law firms.
    Paul Murdaugh was awaiting trial in the 2019 death of Mallory Beach.FacebookAlex Murdaugh, the husband and father of the victims, works at Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth and Detrick, which was founded by Randolph Murdaugh in 1910.

The late lawyer and his father and grandfather were all longtime elected prosecutors in the Beaufort community.
    The Beach family, which reportedly remains entangled in a civil suit against the Murdaugh family after the criminal case ended with Paul’s death, issued a statement of solidarity.
    Investigators have posited that Paul Murdaugh (left) was the target of the shooting. Facebook“Having suffered the devastating loss of their own daughter, the family prays that the Murdaughs can find some level of peace from this tragic loss. They would like the family and the community to know that their thoughts and continued prayers are with the Murdaughs,” the family said in a statementto WTOC 11.
    With Post wires
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Hmmm. Sounds like another "affluenza" case, but this time he pissed off the wrong people. Maybe someone thought he would never be convicted because he was so well-connected. Anyway, those kids sure were dumb to get on a boat with him if he was drinking, which they knew turned him into an asshole.
    fgg, mostroop and Kittylady like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Update: the dad is accused of stealing huge sums from his law firm, was supposedly shot in the head by a stranger, and has now apologized (but not for anything specific) and entered rehab:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/alex-m...going-to-rehab
    South Carolina Family Murder Mystery Just Took a Crazy Turn

A prominent South Carolina lawyer whose wife and son were murdered—and who then reported being shot in the head over the weekend—was accused Monday night of stealing from his law firm.
    It was a dizzying turn of events in a saga that has gripped rural Hampton County—where Alex Murdaugh’s family has held sway for decades—and made headlines across the country. While the law firm declined to comment on how much Murdaugh allegedly stole, two people associated with the South Carolina legal community told The Daily Beast that the amount is over a million dollars.

“It’s a lot of money, that’s all I know,” one source said.
    The drama stretches back to June when Murdaugh’s wife, Margaret, 52, and his son, Paul, 22, were found shot to death near the hunting dog kennels at the family estate.
    It took a twist this weekend when Murdaugh called 911 and reported he had been shot in the head by a mystery trucker while changing a flat tire on a back road.
    On Monday, Murdaugh issued a surprise statement saying that he was quitting the law firm his great-grandfather founded a century ago and entering rehab. On Tuesday, Murdaugh’s spokesperson confirmed to The Daily Beast that the father-of-two was “in rehab currently,” but declined to provide details about the facility or the nature of the program.
    His attorney, Jim Griffin, told The State his client entered a drug treatment center to care for his substance abuse. Citing sources, the outlet said the substance was oxycodone.
    “The murders of my wife and son have caused an incredibly difficult time in my life. I have made a lot of decisions that I truly regret,” Murdaugh said. “I’m resigning from my law firm and entering rehab after a long battle that has been exacerbated by these murders.”
    “I am immensely sorry to everyone I’ve hurt, including my family, friends, and colleagues. I ask for prayers as I rehabilitate myself and my relationships,” he said.

Shot in the head on Saturday, rehab and apology tour on Monday. Sounds about right for this case.
    MohandasKGanja and fgg like this.

Now this​ would be a killer podcast.
    fgg and louiswinthorpe111 like this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Wait, he was shot in the head and lived? Wtf. He probably did it and tried to off himself.
    sputnik likes this.

^^^ Forensic Files had an interesting case where a person killed their spouse by shooting them in the head, except they were shot twice. That was immediately suspicious and cause for further investigation - which led to them suspecting and convicting the spouse. However, during the episode, a coroner said there were instances where a person who killed themselves with a gun actually shot themselves twice.
    Beeyotch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Wait, he was shot in the head and lived? Wtf. He probably did it and tried to off himself.
    that or he hired someone to shoot him.

i haven't really heard much about this case except what's been posted here but the whole thing is shady af. at first i thought the son and wife getting killed had to do with the girl who died but after hearing that the father was embezzling his law firm and then got shot too, i'm thinking it would be too wild a coincidence if both dad and son got shot for totally unrelated reasons.
    fgg likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I can't get over the fact that literally everyone in the family was built like Spongebob Squarepants. There HAVE to be mental issues that go along with that!

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    ^^^ Forensic Files had an interesting case where a person killed their spouse by shooting them in the head, except they were shot twice. That was immediately suspicious and cause for further investigation - which led to them suspecting and convicting the spouse. However, during the episode, a coroner said there were instances where a person who killed themselves with a gun actually shot themselves twice.
    Now that you've said that I think I remember watching that episode! Wild shit, and also what kind of shitty luck does one have to have to shoot yourself in the head and MISS so you have to do it twice.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Then there’s the death of the other young man, who was thought to have been killed in a hit and run, whose mom is claiming he was beaten to death and the accident was staged. There’s a possible connection to this family. Today, I thought I heard that there was a maid of the family who died in a trip and fall accident??

This family is like the southern, trashier Kennedy clan.

fgg

i'm starting to think that the police should be looking at the dad for the mom/son.
    Beeyotch likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I can't get over the fact that literally everyone in the family was built like Spongebob Squarepants. There HAVE to be mental issues that go along with that!

i was trying on a light blue dress last week and thought to myself that if it were yellow i would look like spongebob lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information