Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Scott Peterson's Death Penalty Sentence Reversed

fgg

Default Scott Peterson's Death Penalty Sentence Reversed

Scott Peterson just got a big break, because the California Supreme Court has reversed his death penalty sentence for murdering his wife and unborn child.

The Court ruled the trial judge in the case erred by dismissing prospective jurors who opposed the death penalty but claimed they could still follow the law and impose it if the evidence so warranted.

The State's high court ruled unanimously ... opposition to the death penalty alone is not grounds to dismiss prospective jurors. They can be dismissed if they won't follow the law, but some people with strong opinions still have the capacity to follow the judge's instructions.

Peterson killed his wife, 27-year-old Laci Peterson, and their unborn son, Connor. Laci was 8 months pregnant when she and Connor were murdered on Xmas eve, 2002.

Peterson, now 47, will almost certainly remain in prison because his conviction still stands. But, there now must be a new trial on sentencing. The D.A. where Peterson was tried has not said if he'll seek the death penalty again.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/08/24/scott...alty-sentence/
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Such bullshit.
    rollo and Brookie like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

i'm anti death penalty so i don't have a problem with this. and he's in california anyway where there's a moratorium and they haven't executed anyone in ages (i'm actually surprised they haven't gotten rid of the DP completely). plus, rotting in a US prison for decades is a worse fate than death.
    Sarzy, Trixie, fgg and 6 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I don't see a problem as long as he never gets out.

Just a big waste of court time and tax dollars. I agree, even on death row it's more likely he'd die in prison before he was ever executed.

I wonder if they'll move him to gen pop now. He might then wish he was back on death row. I think it's pretty insulated there. But, they're having a covid outbreak and 8 death row inmates have died.

He's screwed either way.
    Beeyotch and mostroop like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I'm pro death penalty, but not in a weird one-off case like this.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Just a big waste of court time and tax dollars. I agree, even on death row it's more likely he'd die in prison before he was ever executed.

I wonder if they'll move him to gen pop now. He might then wish he was back on death row. I think it's pretty insulated there. But, they're having a covid outbreak and 8 death row inmates have died.

He's screwed either way.
    the covid outbreak at SQ is mainly contained. they even stopped reporting it separately - there was a daily update, separated from the rest of the marin county stats.

actually, i was secretly hoping he would be among the cases. and i feel bad for the poor guard who died from covid.
    Trixie likes this.

Yeah, it would be no great loss. Now, 8 guys they don't have to house forever, or pay for all their appeals. The crimes some of those guys are extremely heinous. Not to minimize, but a lot worse than Peterson.

It must've been a guard who brought it in there, right? It's not like the convicts have been out and about. It's death row and separate from the rest of the prison I think. Unless someone new came in recently.

The correctional facilities here have a lot of cases too. But people are coming in and out all the time.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

czb

it could've been a guard, medical support, delivery people, anyone.

not sure death row is a separate building, it might just be a wing.

Given the ratio of PoC being sent to jail & sentenced Vs white people, I think that US Justice has a very conscious bias. This is part of the reason that I cannot support the death penalty. Here prison is supposed to be about rehabilitation (not that I think it is doing this).
    As Sarzy said, just as long as he never gets out.
    I can't believe it's been 18 years already (has it??? Or is Google lying to me?)

Also I always get this one & Drew Peterson mixed up.

I definitely have the same concerns as Novice does about disparate death sentences for PoC. I would put a review board in place at the DoJ to monitor statistically how and when these sentences are given out. The US is very heavy handed with punishment instead of rehabilitation, but I believe that the severity of certain crimes goes far beyond a consideration of rehabilitation.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I definitely have the same concerns as Novice does about disparate death sentences for PoC. I would put a review board in place at the DoJ to monitor statistically how and when these sentences are given out. The US is very heavy handed with punishment instead of rehabilitation, but I believe that the severity of certain crimes goes far beyond a consideration of rehabilitation.
    but doesn't life without the possibility of parole cover that concern? why would it be necessary to kill someone if you've found a way for them to never pose a threat to society again?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Eye-for-eye satisfaction. Yeah, yeah it's not civilized but neither is whatever murder or other atrocity they've committed.

While that's tempting, for me, I really hate the fact that the DP is a joke in that it never actually happens thanks to years of endless appeals, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    but doesn't life without the possibility of parole cover that concern? why would it be necessary to kill someone if you've found a way for them to never pose a threat to society again?
    For an egregious crime - mass murder, spree killer, serial killer, pre-meditated child killer - I think the offense is such that allowing them to continue to breathe air on this planet is a mockery of the victims' lives and what they were worth.

The way it was described to me a million years ago in my Criminal Justice class was that punishment is meant to be a deterrent and the death penalty has obviously not deterred anyone from murder. Even if executions were a public event it world more than likely than not deter people from murder.

I can understand the emotional appeal of the death penalty, but logically, not so much. The system is obviously not perfect and there is too much bias of all kinds on whether someone is sentenced to death or not.

I figured this would happen, regardless.

@Novice I always have to think about which one I'm talking about - Drew or Scott - before I say their names. They're both vile.
    Trixie and Novice like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information