Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: Couple disappears 6 weeks ago, baffling Facebook posts add to mystery

Bronze Member

Default Couple disappears 6 weeks ago, baffling Facebook posts add to mystery

Couple disappears 6 weeks ago, baffling Facebook posts add to mystery

ANDERSON, S.C. — A South Carolina couple vanished without a trace nearly six weeks ago — and now Facebook posts are adding to the mystery surrounding their disappearance.
    Charlie Carver, 32, and Kala Brown, 30, were reported missing after they went several days without communicating with family and friends, according to WYFF.
    Kala’s friend said several friends stopped receiving texts from her on August 31. The last photos of Charlie are from a surveillance camera that show him leaving his workplace on the same day.
    After several days without talking to her son, Charlie’s mother went inside the couple’s apartment and found the dog without any food or water, according to Dateline.
    Charlie, who is in the middle of a divorce, has been dating Kala for several months. The couple moved in together over the summer, according to the report.
    There has been no activity on either Charlie or Kala’s phones since they went missing. However, there have been dozens of strange Facebook posts on Charlie’s Facebook page since the couple went missing.
    The posts on Charlie’s Facebook post include several links to stories about the missing couple, including multiple GoFundMe fundraisers and images of the couple. The most recent post (October 2) on Charlie’s Facebook page includes a shared photo with the quote:
    “What color ribbon supports the cure for people who can’t keep their nose out of other people’s business?”
    Several Facebook users have posted screenshots of odd conversations with the person posting on Charlie’s page.
    In one screenshot shared on the City of Anderson Police Facebook page, someone apparently asked the person using Charlie’s Facebook page if they are okay. The person’s response: “yes im fine.”
    There have been over 50 posts on Charlie’s page since the couple was reported missing, including a post that declared Charlie married Kala on September 1.
    The family insists Charlie’s Facebook account has been hacked and the confusing posts are falsely making people believe the couple has been found.
    Detectives told Dateline they are investigating but have few leads at this point. Foul play has not been ruled out, according to the report.
    Anyone with information about the couple is asked to call police in Anderson at 864-260-4444.

Couple disappears 6 weeks ago, baffling Facebook posts add to mystery | New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV
    sprynkles likes this.

Here's more...

by RACHAEL TROST

Bobbie Newsom and Joanne Shiflet never thought they'd be in this situation: having to spend the weekend packing up their children's apartment and put their belongings in storage.
    Kala Brown (left) and Charlie Carver (right) Finding Kala and Charlie Facebook Page

Bobbie's daughter Kala and Joanne's son Charlie have been missing for more than a month.
    "You would never imagine this empty feeling," Joanne Shiflet, Charlie's mother, told Dateline. "It's so much worse than you can think, not knowing."
    "It's like you have a hot skillet, and they are two drops of water you put on it. They just disappear," Kala's mother Bobbie told Dateline. "It's not that they just haven't talked to their moms, no one has heard from them."

It's unclear exactly when Kala and Charlie disappeared. A close friend of Kala's reportedly had dinner with her the night of August 29 at the couple's apartment outside Anderson, South Carolina. The following day, several friends received texts back from her. But the responses stopped coming on August 31. Her phone has since either been turned off or died. The last images of Charlie are surveillance video from his workplace showing him leaving on August 31. His phone has also since been turned off or died.

After no word from her son in several days, Charlie's mother, who said they don't go a day without some type of communication, called the manager of the complex where the couple's apartment was to see if she could check on them. The manager knocked, but there was no answer. So she went inside.
    It appeared no one had been there for some time, according to Joanne.

Even more troubling was what she did find. Romeo, Kala's Pomeranian dog, had been left without any food or water. "That dog is her baby. She'd never leave him like that," Kala's mother Bobbie told Dateline.

Family members say some medication had also been left behind, along with Kala's glasses and contact lenses. Kala's vehicle was in the parking lot, but Charlie's white 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix with license plate HWY224 was gone. The vehicle remains missing.

Detectives with the Anderson Police Department are investigating, but there are few clues off of which to work. "We tracked down the leads we had, but there isn't very much," Lt. Mike Aikens told Dateline. "We just want to make sure they are OK, because it has been some time."
    Foul play has not been ruled in or out in the case, according to police.

Kala and Charlie had been dating for several months and moved in together this past summer. Charlie was in the midst of a divorce from his wife.
    Fliers have been distributed all around Anderson. Several Facebook groups have been created to spread their photos online. But while it's aiding in the search, social media is now causing additional concern in the case.

Several postings made on Charlie's Facebook page state the couple is fine and simply left. The postings are from after the couple was reported missing.
    But both Charlie and Kala's families insist his account must have been hacked. They say photos the person is uploading, and claiming are recent, were actually posted more than a year ago. The wording, Joanne added, doesn't sound anything like her son.
    "It's getting people thinking they are found, but they are not," Joanne said.

No matter the circumstances, family members just want to be sure the two are safe. Both Kala's mother and Charlie's mother said there is a reason why the couple has vanished, and they want them home.

"There are so many people who are worried about them and love them," Kala's mother, Bobbie, said. "Whatever the problem, we'll figure it out. No one here will judge them. We love them."

Kala Brown is described as 5'8" tall, weighing 135 lbs. with reddish-brown hair and green eyes. Charlie Carver is described as 5'11" tall, weighing roughly 180 lbs. with brown hair and blue eyes.

Anyone with information regarding their whereabouts is urged to call the Anderson Police Department at (864) 260-4444.

Mothers Desperate for Information about Missing Couple Kala Brown and Charlie Carver - NBC News

Janus and Brookie like this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Bizarre. Hate to say it, but it seems like something may have happened to her. Her car is left behind, glasses, contacts, and a dog that she loved and cared for?? Hmm, something is off. Add to it, someone is posting odd messages from his Facebook? Doesn't sound good.

Not that this matters, but damn, some couples seem to move at light speed. He's not even divorced, they were only dating a few months and moved in together.
    Janus and Seapharris7 like this.

Wow. That is insane. It's one thing for one person to go missing, but even stranger for two people to go off the grid leaving behind a pet, glasses, and meds. I hope their families get some answers soon.

ETA - @Kris, I agree that people move so fast after divorces. I think sometimes, sure, the relationship was probably already over for a while, but other times I wonder if people bother getting over their spouse at all.

Also wondering if this could have something to do with a jealous ex (either his or hers).
    Trixie and Janus like this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

First impression (and I hope I'm wrong) is that he snapped, probably due to the divorce not going his way or the new girlfriend saying something wrong. Alarming indeed.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Or the soon to be ex wife went off the rails with him moving in with a new woman so fast.

panic likes this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

It's interesting to me that the news stories posted here don't really mention much about the ex-wife, just that he's going through a divorce. I wonder if she's a person of interest.
    Janus likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

If it weren't for the weird facebook posts, I'd say maybe they had an accident. I remember seeing a Dateline or something about a missing woman and it turned out her car had gone off the highway into a ravine and she was trapped there for over a week (she survived).

I definitely hope they've questioned the estranged wife. Maybe they could get an IP address of where the posts are coming from? But it would probably take a court order I suppose.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Very weird. The dog being left made me think of the Mcstay family case.

I thought about an accident, too, until the bizarre facebook posts. Seems like they would be able to track the Facebook posts. Maybe they already have? I don't know.
    Janus likes this.
    ~Manx Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    If it weren't for the weird facebook posts, I'd say maybe they had an accident. I remember seeing a Dateline or something about a missing woman and it turned out her car had gone off the highway into a ravine and she was trapped there for over a week (she survived).

I definitely hope they've questioned the estranged wife. Maybe they could get an IP address of where the posts are coming from? But it would probably take a court order I suppose.
    That happened in Washington state. At least something similar. The woman worked at a grocery store and she and her husband were on opposite shifts, often not seeing each other for a couple few days at a time. Someone she worked with went to the police and told them to look into the husband (for whatever reason). Of course, the cops did just that. They were fighting with the cell phone carrier to access her phone and phone records. They were finally able to get the cell company to cooperate and they were able to ping her phone and narrow down the search area. Finally, they found her. Upside down in a ravine, still alive, but barely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    Very weird. The dog being left made me think of the Mcstay family case.
    Yeah, they came to mind as well. Horrible outcome there.

Bronze Member

The commenters on his facebook are blaming his ex-wife for the postings claiming she's doing it to torment the family. I didn't know if I was allowed to link to any facebooks so I haven't.

Seems simple to find out who it is, though. I figure Police have already done so. What is the advantage of letting the person continue to post though? Hoping they'll post something incriminating or what?

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    That happened in Washington state. At least something similar. The woman worked at a grocery store and she and her husband were on opposite shifts, often not seeing each other for a couple few days at a time. Someone she worked with went to the police and told them to look into the husband (for whatever reason). Of course, the cops did just that. They were fighting with the cell phone carrier to access her phone and phone records. They were finally able to get the cell company to cooperate and they were able to ping her phone and narrow down the search area. Finally, they found her. Upside down in a ravine, still alive, but barely.
    I remember seeing this case on Disappeared. They treated the husband like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    I remember seeing this case on Disappeared. They treated the husband like shit.
    Exactly. That poor man. I felt so bad for him. I don't even think there was a real reason for the co-worker to say anything to the cops about the husband. I mean, I'm guessing that the cops would have looked into him in the first place. The co-worker made it seem like he was an abuser or something. I think he even had trouble filing a report with the police because they said it wasn't against the law for an adult to disappear.

I have never understood the logic about adults being allowed to disappear. In theory, of course, they should be allowed to go off and do what they want, but you can set a watch by the activities of some of these people who go missing. If you're supposed to establish sets of patterns when investigating a criminal, why wouldn't you establish patterns for victims? I mean, how common is it for adults to run away from not only their wives/husbands, but their children, jobs, pets, parents, siblings, and every other thing they know? It's hard to stay away and not make contact, not to mention you practically have to change your identity to do it nowadays. It makes no sense.
    Last edited by Waterslide; October 13th, 2016 at 10:46 AM. Reason: using my words
    ~Manx Mouse

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information