Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By CornFlakegrl
  • 1 Post By Moongirl
  • 2 Post By Trixie

Thread: Car stolen with sleeping toddler inside

Default Car stolen with sleeping toddler inside

3-year-old abandoned on side of road by car thief in Fresno County | abc30.com

FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A father and his young daughter were briefly separated Tuesday after a car theft turned into a kidnapping in Fresno County. The family has since been reunited but the suspect is still on the loose.

The father started yelling, "my baby, my baby," when the car took off. At first the employees thought he was referring to his car but they quickly realized that baby was his daughter.

The family's frightening story started in the parking lot of Punjab Auto Repair. Cameras captured a man jumping into a silver Honda Accord with a sleeping toddler inside. The father left the keys inside while talking business just feet away

"One second you turn around, your car is gone, your kid too. It's got to be the worst thing in the world," said Tony Botti, Fresno County Sheriff's Office.

Deputies said the suspect must have realized quickly there was a three-year-old in the backseat. He pulled the car over just a few blocks north-- leaving the toddler wandering on the side of Pleasant Avenue.

"Kind of just dumped her off in the middle of the street and she chased the car toward Olive," said Angel Zapata, witness.

A couple driving by saw the little girl and brought her over to Zapata to see if she lived in the neighborhood. Zapata and others called 911.

"People do speed out here and luckily the little girl was safe, didn't get hit by a car or worse-- fall into the wrong hands," said Zapata.

Dispatchers quickly put two and two together realizing she was the victim of the car theft. Deputies reunited the family. They were shaken but grateful.

"I know how scared the parent must feel," Zapata said.

The father is now only missing his car, something once valuable but now replaceable.

"This just goes to show how these people operate. I mean, he drops a three-year-old by the side of the road, by herself, where there is heavy traffic. I mean-- come on. It's ridiculous," said Botti.

Deputies are still searching for that suspect and the stolen silver Honda Accord which has a missing rear bumper.

If you have information, call the Fresno County Sheriff's Office.

************************************************** ***************************************

i can't believe the dad left the toddler in the car with the keys inside; I know it doesn't say so in the story above, but I had heard the car was still running...

It said the Dad was several feet away talking "business." Since it's a car repair shop, he may have just picked up the car, strapped in his kid and was finishing up talking to the mechanic. Or pulled in, stepped out to talk about an issue he was having.

I wouldn't think, if I was standing right there, this would happen. Now if "several feet away" means he went inside while she was outside, no.
    SHELLEE likes this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

We had a case in Philly this past month where the father left the infant in the running car, walked into the corner market, found out he didn't have enough money, went back to the car to get more money and went into the store again. As he came out he saw his minivan pulling away. The thief did drop off the baby in the car seat miles away
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    It said the Dad was several feet away talking "business." Since it's a car repair shop, he may have just picked up the car, strapped in his kid and was finishing up talking to the mechanic. Or pulled in, stepped out to talk about an issue he was having.

I wouldn't think, if I was standing right there, this would happen. Now if "several feet away" means he went inside while she was outside, no.

I think he had just arrived, parked and left the car idling while he spoke to the mechanic;there's video at the link. He wasn't inside while the car was outside.

A 17 y.o. who had run away from a group home was arrested and charged with kidnapping and other charges.
    sluce likes this.

Years ago I knew of someone who had this happen--but the car was stolen from her own driveway...AND she was a State Trooper's wife. Kid was sleeping in the backseat, she ran in the house to drop something off, left the car running because they were headed back out. Thief took off with the car and the kid woke up, sat up and said "who are you?" the guy slammed on the brakes, dumped the kid in the street and took off again. Luckily the kid was ok, but the guy was lucky he never got caught, I'm sure they would have shown no mercy for dumping a cop's kid!
    sluce and Seapharris7 like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

that's why i never believe parents when they say their kids were kidnapped and murdered when their cars were stolen. no thief wants to be a killer... like seriously.

Thread Information