• 4 Post By sluce
  • 2 Post By BITTER
  • 5 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By ManxMouse
  • 2 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 2 Post By C_is_for_Cookie
  • 2 Post By sluce

Thread: 24-Year-Old Transgender Man With Asperger's Killed By Arizona Police

Default 24-Year-Old Transgender Man With Asperger's Killed By Arizona Police

24-Year-Old Transgender Man With Asperger's Killed By Arizona Police Weeks After Beginning Transition

Bobby Finger
    Friday 6:00pm
    Filed to: kayden clark

In December of last year, a 24-year-old autistic man named Kayden Clark uploaded a video to his YouTube channel in which he excitedly announced that his insurance would pay for his gender reassignment surgery. “I can breathe,” he said. “The anxiety’s gone.” Thursday afternoon, he was shot and killed by police in his Mesa, Arizona, home.

ABC 15 reports officers—who are now on administrative leave—arrived at Clark’s home after a call came in claiming he was threatening to kill himself, adding:

Police entered the home to try to find [Clark], and when they located [him, he] lunged at two officers with a knife, a police spokesman said. The officers feared for their safety and fired at [him], police said.

Though Clark—who had previously attempted suicide two years ago—is identified as a woman named Danielle Jacobs by ABC, several advocates for autism awareness have since responded to their report, claiming he was a man who “preferred” the name Kayden. The identification appears to be validated by Clark’s YouTube channel, whose five uploaded videos chronicle a transition process that was tragically cut short. (A study published last year revealed 41 percent of people who identify as transgender have attempted suicide.)

While still identifying as Danielle Jacobs, a video of Clark in which he documented his dog Samson’s assistance in dealing with his “Aspergers meltdowns” went viral. In their coverage, The Huffington Post wrote:

[Clark] wants to help others with autism, too, noting that their public meltdowns may be judged by people who don’t understand what’s really happening. [He] said [he] shared [his] experience to raise awareness.

After Clark’s death, his mother told reporters that, despite a “limited income,” he “bought two Christmas trees and ornaments on sale to give to low income families for this upcoming December.”

24-Year-Old Transgender Man With Asperger's Killed By Arizona Police Weeks After Beginning TransitionÂ*
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

The cops can be harsh on transgender people; and you can bet that they are backing each other up on this story.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Never mind transgender... here is a PERSON with a knife. A knife! Clearly in a mental state versus cops in full gear with guns and these cops choose to shoot him???!!!!!
    Was there not any training at all before they became cops???!!!
    They feared for their safety so they shot him..Ya, right. Bunch of puck ass wannabes hiding behind a badge with clearly no clue at all how to represent that badge.
    Get another line of work assholes... yet this poor boy is gone forever.
    This isnt the first of this kind of story I've heard. There's been a few senseless shootings so naturally it pisses me off.

rip... sympathies to the family

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    The cops can be harsh on transgender people; and you can bet that they are backing each other up on this story.
    Yes, cops can be assholes, but we are now accusing them of abuse in every case, even before an investigation is completed. Put yourself in the cops place. They respond to a call where someone is known to be violent, and is coming at them with a knife, and they have no idea what other weapons he may have. I would prefer they shoot the kneecaps, instead of to kill, but people need to take some responsibility for their actions too. This young man was clearly troubled. I find it implausible that his insurance was going to pay for gender reassignment with his known mental health issues.

My sympathy to his family who have clearly been through so much.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I don't know what to think anymore, sluce. Maybe I've become jaded reading and hearing about abusive cops, I tend to look for the worst in them.
    sluce and sputnik like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Yes, cops can be assholes, but we are now accusing them of abuse in every case, even before an investigation is completed. Put yourself in the cops place. They respond to a call where someone is known to be violent, and is coming at them with a knife, and they have no idea what other weapons he may have. I would prefer they shoot the kneecaps, instead of to kill, but people need to take some responsibility for their actions too. This young man was clearly troubled. I find it implausible that his insurance was going to pay for gender reassignment with his known mental health issues.

My sympathy to his family who have clearly been through so much.

A good point.

Bitter, you can look for the worst in them ... in the worst of the bunch. Know what I mean?
    When I say assholes, I'm speaking directly of the ones that are assholes, not the ones that aren't.
    There are always good guys, all around us. But unfortunately good deeds are overshadowed by the bad. *sigh
    It'd be nice if the boy's death didn't go down in vain by using this incident be to make changes preventing future deaths.

i think there are cases of cops shooting people that demonstrate a blatant disregard for the lives of minorities and troubled people. and then i think there are cases of cops shooting people that demonstrate that the police definitely need better training when it comes to de-escalating violent situations. i think this case kind of sounds like the latter.
    the guy lunged at the police with a knife. anyone who has ever dealt with autistic people mid-meltdown - especially if they're adults - knows how scary and out of control they can get. had these cops been trained to de-escalate this type of situation, and had they been given tasers to use when they need to disarm someone without killing or hurting them, this probably could have been avoided.
    stef, Tati, dexter7 and 2 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The way people view cops is another symptom of how polarized America has become. In my opinion.
    For right-wingers, cops can do no wrong. It literally doesn't matter what they do, there is always some justification for it and they are heroes simply by virtue of having the job. It's infuriating.
    On the other side, there are those who hate and vilify all cops simply by virtue of their having the job. Although some portion of those people are those who have first-hand, repeated experiences of how so many officers treat minorities differently.

What's so frustrating for many in the middle is not so much that these incidents happen, but there seems to be NO accountability. Over and over, the police action is found to be "justified" even in the rare instance it is taken to a grand jury (by a prosecutor who does not want the indictment to come back -- fox guarding the henhouse). Even when there is video showing egregious conduct, they tell us our eyes aren't seeing what they're seeing. People feel powerless against the big blue wall. That's what the BLM movement grew out of (and right-wingers do everything they can to paint "BLM" as "racist" -- talk about obtuse and defensive).

In my town, a cop just shot dead a black teen who was NAKED and UNARMED. Why? Sure, he posed SOME level of threat to someone. But is there no longer any training on de-escalation? Dealing with mental illness? What about the use of force that is short of deadly force? Don't you have tasers? Batons? etc.? Even bringing the question up invites the inevitable responses, "well why don't people teach their kids to obey the law?" along with less veiled hateful and racist crap. As if any illegal act by a citizen could warrant death, particularly if you are a "thug" (yeah we all know what that word really means). We had people here defending a cop who shot a black man in the BACK who had disobeyed his order to stop. "Well if he hadn't run or hadn't been up to no good, he wouldn't have gotten shot." That truly is the mentality of many, and it's sickening. Oh and that cop might not face punishment because of a bizarro argument that he was acting as a fed officer at the time and can only face civil rights charges.....

What's more ---To Protect and Serve is not supposed to mean an officer protecting him or herself alone....danger IS part of the job, and if you get nicked or punched, that's preferable to blowing someone away at the first hint of their acting out.

I know race isn't an issue in this case, but I feel like there's a huge backlash in this country, right now and for the foreseeable future, against all minorities. For fuck's sake, it looks like Republicans are truly going to float a blatant racist as their Presidential nominee. I feel like bigotry is really winning the day right now. The whole debate surrounding police conduct reflects it, to me.

Copifesto!
    Tati likes this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Here is an example of how quickly things can go bad for a cop - in this case, a mentally disturbed guy was taking the cap off a tank in a gas station and trying to blow the place up. The officer (Gutierrez) tries to stop him and is immediately attacked and stabbed by the guy with both an 8-inch knife and a screwdriver. Somehow, the cop managed to pull his service pistol and shoot the guy dead.

holly and Alysheba like this.

I just read a story where a deputy used a stun gun to detain a suspect and the suspect still managed to shoot the deputy several times. He died. It's unfortunately not as black and white as simply just use a taser.
    Alysheba and holly like this.

It's a mess, and there is no quick fix.
    C_is_for_Cookie and holly like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

My first thought was suicide by cop if he actually did lunge at them and the call was a suicide but that's just after reading a few lines, I don't know what happened.

Those tasers have been deadly in a case where some guy was tased in the head over 20 times in a half hour and he died right at the doors of the ER. He was trying to get in the ER and they were telling him to freeze and be still, but he was so afraid of the cops and he couldn't get in, the doors were locked, so I think they tased his ass to death if I remember. It was all caught on video. I didn't think it was gonna end up that way as I watched the vid but he was so fuckin scared I want to cry thinking about it because they had him on the ground, I don't get why they even had to tase him. There's 3 of them and one of him and they couldn't think of anything to do but tase his head over and over. I think he was handcuffed too.
    "His suits are cheaply made because he makes them in other countries, taking jobs away from good, hard-working Americans."...Bevy Smith on Donald Trump

Thread Information