Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Arrest Made In JonBenet Ramsey Case

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Exclamation Arrest Made In JonBenet Ramsey Case

Arrest Made In JonBenet Ramsey Case

CBS News Interactive: The JonBenet Case
    (CBS) DENVER A man arrested in Thailand is being held in connection with the slaying of JonBenet Ramsey, U.S. law enforcement officials said Wednesday.

Federal officials familiar with the case, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the man was being held in Bangkok on unrelated sex charges.

Details on the arrest are developing, according to CBS affiliate KCNC-TV in Denver.

Patsy Ramsey made the 911 call on December 26, 1996, telling police that her daughter was missing. "There's a note left and our daughter's gone," she said breathlessly.

Ramsey said she found a ransom note on the back staircase of the family's home demanding $118,000 for the safe return of JonBenet.

Boulder police responded immediately to Ramsey's call for help, and what first looked like a kidnapping quickly became a murder investigation, when JonBenet's body was found by her father in a small storage room in the basement of her house.

An autopsy concluded JonBenet suffered a skull fracture, and was strangled and beaten.

Because of the bizarre ransom note, and the fact that JonBenet was killed in her own home, detectives focused on her parents, John and Patsy, as their prime suspects.

Boulder police brushed aside many of the leads that came in, and dismissed the possibility that an intruder had somehow slipped inside the house and committed the murder.

The police chief said the parents were "under an umbrella of suspicion," but a grand jury did not indict the couple for murder.

Throughout lengthy and sometimes hostile police interrogations, both in 1998 and 2000, the Ramseys maintained their innocence. A 2005 48 Hours report found that DNA evidence ruled out the parents as suspects and investigators were no longer focusing on the Ramsey family.

The couple wrote a book, "The Death of Innocence," which was published in 2000.

They later left Colorado and had residences in Atlanta and in Michigan, where John Ramsey unsuccessfully ran for a state House seat in 2004. The Ramseys discussed their daughter's death during the campaign.

"We can't just hold our breath and hope the killer will be found and then go on with our lives," Patsy Ramsey said in 2004. "We have to move ahead now. We can't let evil win."

Patsy Ramsey died in June 2006 from complications from cancer in Atlanta.

(© 2006 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
    www.kcal.com

Silver Member

Default Re: Arrest Made In JonBenet Ramsey Case

Finally! Thank God. I never thought her parents had anything to do with it. Her mother, that poor woman, she just died in June, never being vindicated.

I was one of those people that thought the dad was involved in her murder. I'm watching Court tv now and it says that the suspect is a 41 year old teacher.

YEAH WELL we'll see; nothing more has been said and the guy is innocent till proven guilty.

cnn.com
    JonBenet Ramsey murder suspect arrested in Thailand

Suspect arrested in Thailand in JonBenet Ramsey murder case
    Sources say he was subject of unrelated sex crime investigation
    The suspect is American, 41, American second-grade schoolteacher, CBS News reports
    Body of JonBenet Ramsey, 6, was found in Boulder, Colorado, family home, Christmas 1996

According to MSNBC a news conference will be held tomorrow. They
    also say that the suspect was arrested in Thailand.

I hope Boulder city police don't mess this up like they did in the investigation.

ETA Oops, just saw Alice's post now.
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

Here's another article

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/16/ramsey.arrest/

I still say the mother was involved or knew about it.
    Why would this man be investigated shortly after the mother's death?
    Why would he "confess to certain elements of the crime that are unknown to the general public" while being held in Bangkok for sex related changes (people go to Bangkok specifically for that type of sexcapade).

I don't believe there will ever be truth as to how this girl died - her mother stole her life long before she was murdered.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Wow. Thought this one would never be solved (not that it has been yet). But, glad they kept at it....

I too thought one or both of the parents were in on it....I have to admit.

Default Man arrested in death of JonBenet Ramsey

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/us/jonbenet_ramsey_murder

BOULDER, Colo. - A man suspected in the slaying of 6-year-old beauty queen JonBenet Ramsey nearly a decade ago was arrested Wednesday in Thailand, the district attorney said in the long-awaited breakthrough in one of the nation's most lurid unsolved murder cases.

District Attorney Mary Lacey said the arrest followed several months of work. She disclosed no details about the suspect before a news conference scheduled for Thursday.

CBS reported that he is a 41-year-old second-grade teacher and will be brought back to the United States this weekend. Federal officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the man was already being held in Bangkok on unrelated sex charges.

Ramsey family attorney Lin Wood said in Atlanta that the arrest was vindication for JonBenet's parents, John and Patsy Ramsey, who came under suspicion in the slaying.

Wood said the Ramseys learned about the suspect a least a month before Patsy Ramsey's death June 24 after a long battle with ovarian cancer.

"It's been a very long 10 years, and I'm just sorry Patsy isn't here for me to hug her neck," the attorney said.

Wood said that he had been told that the suspect once lived in Conyers, Ga., outside of Atlanta. He would not comment on whether the Ramseys knew him, and he said he knew nothing else about the man. The Ramseys lived in Georgia up until 1991; they moved back to Atlanta after their daughter's death.

JonBenet was found beaten and strangled in the basement of the family's home in Boulder on Dec. 26, 1996. Patsy Ramsey reported finding a ransom note demanding $118,000 for her daughter.

The image of blonde-haired little JonBenet in child beauty contests has haunted TV talk shows for years afterward, helping feed myriad theories about her killer.

Investigators said at one point that JonBenet's parents were under an "umbrella of suspicion" in the slaying. But the Ramseys insisted an intruder killed their daughter, and no one was ever charged.

In the months after the slaying, Patsy Ramsey went before the cameras, vigorously defending herself and her husband, chastising the media and blasting local law enforcement as incompetent.

In a statement Wednesday, John Ramsey said: "Patsy was aware that authorities were close to making an arrest in the case and had she lived to see this day, would no doubt have been as pleased as I am with today's development almost 10 years after our daughter's murder."

In 2003, a federal judge in Atlanta concluded that the evidence she reviewed suggested an intruder killed JonBenet. That opinion came with the judge's decision to dismiss a libel and slander lawsuit against the Ramseys by a freelance journalist, whom the Ramseys had named as a suspect in their daughter's murder. The Boulder district attorney at the time said she agreed with the judge's declaration.

Wood said Wednesday's arrest further vindicated his clients.

"I am sure there were still doubts in the minds of individuals whose thinking had been poisoned against this family because of the years of false accusations," Wood said.

"Today is additional vindication of the family, but I think that knowledgeable individuals familiar with the evidence in the case have known for many years that this family was falsely accused, that they were innocent and that what they lived through in the last 10 years was an American tragedy."

Wood said he and the Ramseys "have been totally amazed and impressed with the professionalism of law enforcement" under Lacey's direction. Lacey became district attorney in 2001.

Law enforcement officials from Boulder were flying to Bangkok to present Thai authorities with documents in the slaying, officials in Washington said. They asked to remain anonymous pending an announcement in Colorado.

KUSA-TV of Denver, citing no sources, reported that the suspect has confessed to certain elements of the crime.

___

I never thought Patsy or John did it. I did wonder about the son sometimes. I am sorry that Patsy didn't live to see this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    Here's another article

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/16/ramsey.arrest/

I still say the mother was involved or knew about it.
    Why would this man be investigated shortly after the mother's death?
    Why would he "confess to certain elements of the crime that are unknown to the general public" while being held in Bangkok for sex related changes (people go to Bangkok specifically for that type of sexcapade).

I don't believe there will ever be truth as to how this girl died - her mother stole her life long before she was murdered.
    The timing does seem fishy and I still am suspicious. Why no lie detector's test? Why the call to lawyer before 911?

Seems dear old daddy is free to clear his name at all costs now that mommy is dead and gone.

Elite Member

I want to know what the evidence against this guy is...I want answers!

Why would he "confess to certain elements of the crime that are unknown to the general public"
    I figured it out; its so he can get extradited back to the US b/c they will have a firing squad for this guy if he's tried and convicted there; this is the country that kills tourists just for carrying drugs on them afterall.

IMO its a false alarm and a bunch of bullshite and he should get the firing squad on him; I hate child sexual predators and every last one of them should get the firing squad!
    Last edited by AliceInWonderland; August 16th, 2006 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Elite Member

I want to know who killed this beautiful child... and then I want that person to fry like those kittens they put in that frying pan in that story that's all over the news today--and that's no exaggeration.

Exciting news. I look forward to hearing the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
    I want to know who killed this beautiful child... and then I want that person to fry like those kittens they put in that frying pan in that story that's all over the news today--and that's no exaggeration.
    Yes, this child deserves answers. I also think frying them in the pan the way those kittens were fried is appropriate. What the hell was that all about? What the is going through the minds of these shitbags that walk the earth???

A*O

I still think both parents had some involvement in this no matter what this bloke in Thailand has 'confessed' to.
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information