Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: 'Cover-up' over Cologne sex assaults blamed on migration sensitivities

Default 'Cover-up' over Cologne sex assaults blamed on migration sensitivities

'Cover-up' over Cologne sex assaults blamed on migration sensitivities

Police and media have been accused of silence on wave of New Year's Eve assaults by men 'of north African or Arab appearance' because of fears of stirring social tensions

By Justin Huggler, Cologne

3:17PM GMT 06 Jan 2016

Public anger is growing in Germany over a series of sexual assaults against women in the centre of Cologne on New Year’s Eve, amid suggestions that authorities were slow to act due to political sensitivity surrounding the perpetrators' ethnicities.

Politicians and police were facing mounting questions on Wednesday over how a crowd of some 1,000 men “of North African or Arab appearance” was able to mass around the city’s main train station on New Year’s Eve, with roving gangs allegedly assaulting dozens of women with impunity.

Crowds of people outside Cologne Main Station in Cologne on New Year's Eve Photo: EPA

Senior politicians have accused the press of self-censorship over fears the men's reported ethnicities could lead to scapegoating of migrants in general, amid tensions in Germany over its high levels of refugee arrivals.

• German protests over Cologne sexual assaults

More than 120 criminal complaints have been filed by women who were sexually assaulted or robbed, including at least two cases of rape. A police spokesman said at least three quarters of the complaints had a sexual component.

Michelle, one of the female victims of the sex attackers in Cologne, spoke on television of her shock at how the New Year's celebrations party turned into targeted attacks on women Photo: cen/ N-tv

The mass assaults have clear echoes of a phenomenon seen in Egypt during and after the Tahrir Square revolution of 2011 when posses of young men would gather apparently spontaneously around young women and harass them, often violently.
    Authorities have said there is no concrete indication that the perpetrators were asylum seekers who arrived in last year's record influx, but opponents of Angela Merkel's welcoming policy towards migrants have leapt on the possible link. One far right councillor in Cologne wrote an open letter saying the city centre had now become a no-go area for women.

Police said some of the assaults in Cologne appeared similar to incidents that have been reported over the past two years in Duesseldorf, 25 miles away, where gangs identified as North African have groped women to distract them before stealing their belongings.
    The Cologne police chief has rejected calls for his resignation as government ministers demand answers, as the fallout from the police handling of the attacks threatened to become a full-blown political crisis.
    There has been widespread condemnation of the city's police force after an official press release on New Year’s Day described the celebrations as “peaceful”.

Many of the crowd at Cologne railway station appeared to be men 'of north African or Arab appearance' Photo: AP

Even Thomas de Maiziere, the German interior minister, spoke out in rare public criticism of the police. “I expect urgent clarification: was it organised, was it really North Africans, and how could they say it all went peacefully the next day,” he said.
    “It can’t be that you clear the station area because fireworks were thrown, and later these events take place and you wait for complaints to be filed. The police should not work like that,” Mr de Maiziere added.
    “We were there in force, we were not overwhelmed,” insisted Wolfang Albers, the Cologne police chief.

The city's mayor drew outrage after suggesting young women could avoid trouble from the gangs by staying over "an arm's length" away from strangers - an idea that was bitterly mocked by social media users who posted pictures of the Star Wars villain Darth Vader, cartoon cyborg-detective Inspector Gadget and a Hindu deity, all with their arms extended.
    'It’s a scandal that it took days for the media to pick up reports'
    Hans-Peter Freidrich

Police have identified three suspects, Ralf Jäger, the state interior minister of North Rhine-Westphalia announced on Wednesday, but said they would not be publicly to avoid compromising police investigations.
    Earlier, the German police union said it feared arrests were unlikely so long after the assaults.
    Meanwhile questions are being asked over why it took five days for the media to report the incidents.
    The ZDF public broadcaster issued a public apology after it failed to include the assaults in its main evening new broadcast on Tuesday.

The North Rhine-Westphalia Interior Minister Ralf Jäger answers questions during a news conference in Duesseldorf, Germany Photo: AP

Hans-Peter Freidrich, a former interior minister, accused the media of imposing a “news blackout” and operating a “code of silence” over negative news about immigrants.
    “It’s a scandal that it took days for the media to pick up the reports,” Mr Friedrich, who was Angela Merkel’s interior minister from 2011 to 2013, said.
    Media commentators warned that tip-toeing around the issue of sexual violence committed by migrants coming from conservative and sexually segregated societies risked storing up dangerous and festering resentments against the wider migrant population.
    Norway and Denmark have already experimented with classes for new migrants to explain western sexual attitudes, the law and other issues like dress and the notion of a woman’s absolute right never to be forced into sex, even with marriage.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...itivities.html

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

It's being reported all over now, but this one had additional information:

Suspects in Cologne sex attacks 'claimed to be Syrian refugees' - Telegraph

Suspects in Cologne sex attacks 'claimed to be Syrian refugees'

Leaked police report claims senior police officers feared fatalities and that one of those involved in attacks told officers: “I am Syrian. You have to treat me kindly. Mrs Merkel invited me"

By Justin Huggler in Cologne

11:18AM GMT 07 Jan 2016

Some of those involved in a series of sexual assaults against women in the German city of Cologne on New Year’s Eve claimed to be Syrian refugees, according to a leaked police report.

The outbreak of violence was also far more serious than previously thought, and at one point senior police officers feared “there could have been fatalities”.

Two publications have released what they claim is an internal report by a senior officer who was at the scene.

If confirmed, the report could have far-reaching consequences for Angela Merkel’s government as it tries to deal with the aftermath of the assaults.

Ministers have said there is no evidence asylum seekers were involved in the violence.
    But the leaked police report, published in Bild newspaper and Spiegel, a news magazine, claims that one of those involved told officers: “I am Syrian. You have to treat me kindly. Mrs Merkel invited me.”
    Another tore up his residence permit before the eyes of police, and told them: “You can’t do anything to me, I can get a new one tomorrow.”
    A local newspaper reported that fifteen asylum-seekers from Syria and Afghanistan were briefly held by police on New Year's Eve in connection with the sex attacks but were released.
    The Express newspaper quoted an unnamed police officer who said his squad had detained several people who had "only been in Germany for a few weeks".
    "Of these people, 14 were from Syria and one was from Afghanistan. That's the truth. Although it hurts," he said.

Bild does not name the author of the police report, but identifies him as the commander of some 100 officers sent as reinforcements to the area outside Cologne’s main station on New Year’s Eve.

“When we arrived, our vehicles were pelted with firecrackers,” the report said. “In the forecourt and on the cathedral steps were a thousand people, mostly males of an immigrant background who were indiscriminately throwing fireworks and bottles into the crowd.”
    Even the appearance of police did not stop the violence.
    “Around 10.45pm, the station forecourt filled with people of an immigrant background. Women literally had to run the gauntlet through the mass of drunk men, in a way you can’t describe,” the report said.

“We came to the conclusion that the situation threatened chaos or serious injury, if it didn’t lead to fatalities.”
    Police decided to clear the area but met with resistance and were “repeatedly bombarded with fireworks and pelted with bottles”. The report describes members of the crowd as having consumed a “massive” quantity of alcohol and other intoxicating substances such as cannabis.
    Police succeeded in clearing the area by around 12.15am but the violence continued as the crowd moved into the back streets.
    “Many women came to officers shocked and crying and reported sex assaults. Police forces were unable to respond to all the events, assaults and offences. There were just too many at the same time.”

Police were heavily outnumbered and prevented from reaching victims by the crowd, the report said. Several offenders who were ordered to leave returned to the scene and made a joke of it.
    More than 150 women have filed criminal complaints, three-quarters of them for sexual assault. Two cases of rape have been reported.

i have mixed feelings about this whole case. on the one hand, it sickens me that the right-wing, xenophobic parties are latching onto this as a way to bolster their anti-foreigner rhetoric. on the other hand, i find it equally (or more, since the left is supposed to actually care about women) sickening that the left is downplaying what was a vile, disgusting and apparently organised series of assaults on women, because the attackers were arabs/north africans and they're more concerned with their anti-racist ideology and not giving the right wing ammunition, than they are with the well-being of all these women who have been assaulted and victimised.

the losers in all of this? women. as usual. the right is concern trolling and pretending to give a shit about what happened but all they care about is that the attackers were arabs/north africans and they're using that to advance their anti-foreigner discourse. the left is so fucking scared of appearing racist that they're in full blown denial about these men's ethnicity, and they care more about that than they do about women. and worst of all are a lot of feminists who are usually the first to cry "rape culture!" and now? silence, or the first thing out of their mouths is how horrible it is that this is going to be used to punish foreigners and how racist it is to even factor in these men's ethnicity into the case, or saying how the police only care about these attacks because the perpetrators weren't white men, or questioning the police's estimates regarding the number of men, or downplaying the gravity of this... it's absolutely disgusting and basically everyone sucks.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I think one of the police guys made a pretty telling comment when he said something about there being a new dimension to what the police have to do with large crowds. Basically, coordinated attacks by groups of men. However, more than anything police were heavily outnumbered by the crowds, so clearly that is the first thing that needs to be resolved.

More police creates its own problems, just look at the U.S. These perps need a fair trial and deportation if found guilty.
    whitetigeress, anad and Lalasnake like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    More police creates its own problems, just look at the U.S. These perps need a fair trial and deportation if found guilty.
    I can see that possibility, but there were 6,000 police in Times Square for this last New Year's celebration and it didn't exacerbate problems with violence or rowdiness as far as I know.

This just makes me so so angry. I do think Germany has made a big mistake letting so many if these men in. I feel sorry for all the women.

Disgusting crimes. As worse as what happened on Tahrir Square.
    But what really is frustrating is that these bastards won't get arrested, it won't stop and that the state could not protect the victims.
    Sarzy likes this.

Here's the thing with mass migration, there is naturally going to be some bad apples coming in with the good. And, some really bad apples
    What do you do when the kids are bad? Discipline them.
    I like what Greysfang said.
    Trick for the police, gov't is to get the damn job done. Don't talk out of the ass about it, do it! Take care of the mess to protect the people.

It's stuff like that this that worries me in regards to my PM Trudeau's blind faith in the mass that has been/is coming here. All I can say is God help the man that mistreats me or any of my friends and family. I'll show them how it's handled here.
    *throws a karate kick to the nether regions*

A*O

The normally outspoken feminist lobby which sees sexism and female oppression everywhere, real and imagined, generally remains shamefully silent in cases where women are subjected to this ongoing harassment and humiliation at the hands (literally) of these barbarians.

And to add insult to injury the (female) mayor has said that its up to women to follow a "code of conduct" involving travelling in groups, not "provoking" men and seeking help if they feel threatened. WTF?

The Europe I knew and loved is doomed unless some serious action is taken to avert it. Law and order must be restored and ENFORCED, via martial law if necessary, and fuck political correctness.

And I just Liked sput's post. Interesting times indeed.
    Last edited by A*O; January 7th, 2016 at 04:49 PM.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Can you link me to what the mayor said? Not doubting, just too lazy to go searching.
    They need to crack down on these motherfuckers (the assaulters) with the quickness.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post

Deport them to where? They'd be screaming to the European Court of Human Rights that they can't be sent back to countries that are in conflict before the sentence had even left the judges lips. It would be all tied up in legal red tape until they were old men, by which time they'd then start all over again by saying that they have German born children and it would be a breach of their right to family life to take them away from them and send them back to Syria and Afghanistan.

It's fucking bullshit.
    Sarzy likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Can you link me to what the mayor said? Not doubting, just too lazy to go searching.
    They need to crack down on these motherfuckers (the assaulters) with the quickness.

NY Times (among others)

BERLIN — The mayor of Cologne has inflamed a debate in Germany about migrants and sexual harassment by suggesting that women can protect themselves from men on the streets by keeping them more than an arm’s length away.

The remarks by the mayor, Henriette Reker, were made Tuesday to reporters after the Cologne police said they had received more than 90 complaints of robbery and sexual assault, including two accounts of rape, by groups of men who targeted young women in and around the city’s main train station in the crush of revelers on New Year’s Eve.

By Wednesday, Ms. Reker was being widely ridiculed by commentators and across social media for putting the onus on the victims of the attacks.

“It is always possible to keep a certain distance that is longer than an arm’s length,” Ms. Reker told reporters on Tuesday, suggesting that the city authorities would provide guidelines for young women who find themselves surrounded by aggressive men trying to grope them.

The police, who have yet to make any arrests, said the assaults had been carried out by several hundred young men, whom they described as having a “North African or Arabic” appearance.

The nature and scale of the assaults have shocked Germany and brought to the surface social tensions over the willingness of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s government to throw open the doors to more than one million refugees last year.
    dowcat likes this.
    Dame Edna Everage

“It is always possible to keep a certain distance that is longer than an arm’s length,” Ms. Reker told reporters on Tuesday, suggesting that the city authorities would provide guidelines for young women who find themselves surrounded by aggressive men trying to grope them.

The more I think of this, the more it angers me.
    What would she say if she had a daughter in that crowd being groped? "Oh darling, didn't you keep an arms length from them? tsk tsk" *finger wag
    Oh hell naw... .Ms. Reker would be breathing hellfire like a mama wolf descended upon the men. "HOW DARE YOU TOUCH MY DAUGHTER!!" *thawck* *slices off a head*

I kinda like the latter scenario *giggles
    Um, ya.. I'm violent

A*O

It's easy for the mayor to hand out this useful advice when she's driven everywhere with a security detail. Try getting out of your limo and walking to work, shops, concert etc like your female citizens bitch and see what happens.

It's yet another example of Govt officials playing down the shitstorm they have brought on themselves by allowing, even encouraging this uncontrolled mass immigration of mostly single young Muslim males who have a very different attitude to women than the country and culture they now choose to live in.

And I ask again, where is the outrage from the normally vocal feminist lobby?
    Last edited by A*O; January 8th, 2016 at 02:15 PM.
    dowcat and Kittylady like this.
    Dame Edna Everage

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information