• 1 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 3 Post By Brah
  • 3 Post By KrisNine
  • 3 Post By NickiDrea

Thread: Boy, 11, Shoots Dead 8-Year-Old 'Over Puppy'

Elite Member

Default Boy, 11, Shoots Dead 8-Year-Old 'Over Puppy'

Boy, 11, Shoots Dead 8-Year-Old 'Over Puppy'

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/boy-11-shoots-dead-8-year-old-over-puppy/ar-AAf8tV2?li=AAabC8j&ocid=

Sky News
    2 hrs ago

Sky News McKayla Dyer, 8, was killed by her 11-year-old neighbour in Tennessee

An 11-year-old boy has been charged with murder after he allegedly shot dead his eight-year-old neighbour and schoolmate over a puppy.

McKayla Dyer died on Sunday after she was shot in the chest outside her home in Tennessee.

The girl's mother, Latasha, told local TV station WATE-TV her daughter had refused the boy's request to play with her puppy before he shot her.

Jefferson County Sheriff Bud McCoig said the boy, whose name is not being released because of his age, used his father's shotgun.

She was pronounced dead at hospital.

Ms Dyer described her daughter as "a precious little girl".

"No matter how bad of a mood you were in she could always make you smile," she said.

The boy's family has not commented on the shooting.

Did he get to play with the puppy?
    Sleuth and BITTER like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Did he get to play with the puppy?
    *Snort*

I don't know what usually happens to the kid in these situations but the owner of the gun should have gun license revoked and charged for the girls death.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

This wouldn't have happened if the 8 year old had a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    *Snort*

Room for one more?
    sputnik, msdeb, kasippu and 2 others like this.
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

A*O

Exactly! Arm all 8yr olds. Problem solved.
    kasippu and Serendipity like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

Tennessee boy, 11, found guilty of murdering 8-year-old neighbour girl

Tennessee boy, 11, found guilty of murdering 8-year-old neighbour girl

Reuters
    2 hrs ago

An 11-year-old Tennessee boy has been found guilty of fatally shooting an 8-year-old neighbour girl with a shotgun in a fight over puppies, and will spend the rest of his childhood in state custody, court documents showed on Saturday.

Benjamin Tiller was found guilty early last week of first-degree murder in the October slaying of McKayla Dyer in a trailer park in White Pine, a small town about 42 miles (68 km) east of Knoxville, according to a court order from Tuesday.

"Mr. Tiller is in desperate need of help, and our society has a great need for Mr. Tiller to receive it," Judge Dennis "Will" Roach wrote in ordering Tiller placed into the custody of the Department of Children's Services until he turns 19.

( Facebook) Mackayla Dyer

The October incident stems from a chat Tiller was having with three girls who were outside the window of his mobile home in October, authorities and court documents said.

Tiller asked one of them if he could see her new puppies, but Dyer, a third-grader who attended school with Tiller, refused, authorities said.

Then the boy retrieved his father's 12-gauge shotgun, shot the girl in the chest from the window, and then threw the weapon outside by the girl's body, authorities said.

An attorney for Tiller could not immediately be reached for comment, though local media reported that Tiller's family plans to appeal the decision.

According to the court documents, posted online by local media, Tiller had been trained in firearm safety and had gone hunting with his grandfather and father.

After being blocked from the puppies, Tiller returned with the shotgun and the victim laughed at him, doubting the firearms were real, the documents said.

"Tiller then made certain the gun was loaded, cocked the hammer of the gun, and shot the victim just above the heart," the documents said.

Sucks they can't keep him locked up longer than that.

This probably isn't a very popular opinion, but I think that the registered owner of any firearm used in a crime should be held liable (to some degree) for that crime if they haven't showed the due diligence of keeping it adequately secured or reported it stolen if it goes missing. Your kid grabs the gun from your nightstand and kills somebody? The two of you can rot in jail together.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    Sucks they can't keep him locked up longer than that.

This probably isn't a very popular opinion, but I think that the registered owner of any firearm used in a crime should be held liable (to some degree) for that crime if they haven't showed the due diligence of keeping it adequately secured or reported it stolen if it goes missing. Your kid grabs the gun from your nightstand and kills somebody? The two of you can rot in jail together.
    There should be some kind of criminal culpability. Just yesterday, there were two stories of kids who had gotten hold of a negligent adult's guns and killed another kid. One case was a grandfather who had left his gun on top of a night stand. A three-year-old grabbed it and shot and killed an eight-year-old sibling.
    Alysheba likes this.

^That all sounds very illogical and senseless. The obvious thing to do is put a gun range in every elementary school so that they can practice. Get rid of those useless jungle gyms and make it the four Rs---reading, writing, arithmetic, and range.
    KrisNine, Brookie and stella blue like this.

I can't even pretend to know what should be done in this situation. I have no idea how to punish a child for murdering another child. Boggles the mind. Honestly, what do you do? Put him in jail for the rest of his life? What good is that? Don't punish him at all? What good is that for the dead child and her family? I do believe that the owners of the gun should have some sort of liability in all of this.
    stella blue, Serendipity and Tati like this.

I agree with the court's decision in this case. You can't punish an 11 year old as an adult considering that his brain still has 14 years before it will be done developing. The average 11 year old does not have the capability to reason like adults do. This child will hopefully be rehabilitated in placement. However, 8 years of placement at that age will ultimately lead to institutionalization. There are no easy answers here but I think the court did the right thing, as did the state. They could have charged him as an adult.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Thread Information