Like Tree22Likes
  • 7 Post By greysfang
  • 4 Post By gas_chick
  • 1 Post By Beeyotch
  • 3 Post By BITTER
  • 7 Post By Just Kill Me

Thread: Sheriff: Domestic Violence Victim Could've Prevented Her Murder if She'd Had a Gun

Default Sheriff: Domestic Violence Victim Could've Prevented Her Murder if She'd Had a Gun

Sheriff: Domestic Violence Victim Could've Prevented Her Own Murder if She'd Just Had a Gun
    Anna Merlan
    Filed to: monica butler johnson
    8/11/15 4:55pm

Louisiana woman Monica Butler Johnson, 45, was beaten to death on Sunday night, hours after hosting a graduation party for her teenage son. Her ex-husband, David Johnson, has been charged with the crime, which police say comes after months of escalating abuse. The sheriff of Ascension Parish, where Johnson lived, suggested in an interview that her death could’ve been avoided if she’d had a concealed handgun license. He also suggested that women should kill their abusers if necessary: “Drop him.”

David Johnson is accused of breaking into Monica’s home and beating her with a baseball bat. He’s also suspected of beating Monica’s 18-year-old son when he tried to intervene, breaking the teenager’s arm. After trying to intervene, the 18-year-old son and his younger brother, 8, fled to a neighbor’s house. Police found Monica’s body in the backyard and David gone. He was arrested hours later and charged with first degree murder, attempted first degree murder, violations of protective orders, and aggravated burglary with a weapon.
    The Advocate reports that Monica Johnson, an admissions administrator at Remington College in Baton Rouge filed for a restraining order last month, saying David was following her, recording her, and that she and her sons “are not comfortable in our home.” David Johnson was previously charged with domestic strangulation against Monica on December 31, 2014. He was cautioned for trespassing — but not arrested — when he showed up at Monica’s house again on June 19.
    Ascension Parish Sheriff Jeff Wiley told Fox 8 that the case shows that domestic abuse victims have to be willing to use guns against their abusers, when the legal system doesn’t work:

“Use the system. Use the system. Use the system. But you know what else? Get your concealed weapons permit. Ladies, learn how to safely handle a weapon, learn how to safely store a weapon, and when you’re in a situation like this, shoot him in your back yard before he gets in your house. Drop him. I mean, I’m serious. Take the extremes necessary to live a life where you don’t have to worry about your kids and your life.”

While it’s certainly generous of Sheriff Wiley to indicate that he won’t criminally charge domestic abuse victims who kill their abusers, his statement certainly suggests that Monica Johnson was somehow responsible for preventing her own murder, and that the police and legal system are powerless, or at the very least ineffectual. It also fails to take into account that black and Latina women are far more likely to be charged with murder, manslaughter or other crimes when killing an abuser, according to the Michigan Women’s Justice and Clemency Project. Monica Johnson was black. The Atlantic also points out that many, many studies indicate that gun ownership doesn’t reduce a woman’s chances of being the victim of any type of violent crime:

[N]ot a single study to date has shown that the risk of any crime including burglary, robbery, home invasion, or spousal abuse against a female is decreased through gun ownership. Though there are examples of women using a gun to defend themselves, they are few and far between, and not statistically significant.

A Pacific Standard piece from last year points out that juries frequently don’t understand that battered women were in life-threatening danger, and that self-defense laws weren’t formulated with them in mind.
    Domestic violence experts also agree that “just get a gun” is very bad advice.
    “It is always highly concerning when a person introduces a weapon into a violent situation,” Katie Ray-Jones, CEO of the National Domestic Violence Hotline, told Jezebel in a statement. “While someone may be trained to use and carry a firearm, there is always a possibility that the weapon could be used against them by their abusive partners. We encourage domestic violence victims and survivors to use the resources and tools available, like The Hotline, to create a plan for their safety that is tailored to their individual situation.”
    This post has been updated with comment from the National Domestic Violence Hotline, which can be reached any time at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).

Sheriff: Domestic Violence Victim Could've Prevented Her Own Murder if She'd Just Had a Gun
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Kill or be killed logic? or no logic at all?

I would have killed the fucker with a steak knife. No gun needed.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Oh yeah she would be alive and that old white fuck saying she should have had a gun would be trying to fry her ass in the lectric chair.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

That's just so stupid. So she should assume at all times that she may be assaulted by her dickbag ex and always have a loaded gun at her side ready to kill him? Never mind that he can probably overpower her, surprise her, or just be plain faster than her. Idiots.
    Shinola likes this.

Someone should have recommended a shelter for her and her kids.

Someone needs to beat her husband in his head with a bat. Fucking fool.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

He should have been arrested the first time he violated the fucking restraining order.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

omg, she was beaten to death, that poor lady.
    "His suits are cheaply made because he makes them in other countries, taking jobs away from good, hard-working Americans."...Bevy Smith on Donald Trump

In front of her children.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    He should have been arrested the first time he violated the fucking restraining order.
    The system fails victims of domestic violence again and again and again. It's sickening. To be fair, people in social services, emergency workers, dispatchers and cops all get so frustrated with the situation that on a purely personal level, I don't blame that sheriff for his statement.

I'm sure he's not alone in preferring (and wishing) that the victim had been able to take her attacker out. On an emotional level, I think it'd be almost impossible not to feel that way when you've seen so many murdered women and traumatized kids with your own eyes, and have to live with the memories.

Here is a 2012 article: Domestic violence: how the law treats women who kill a violent partner

Interesting read. References are from Australian cases. Out of a sampling of 65, only 9% were homicide convictions (6 cases). Both acquittals and convictions on that level were rare; most of the cases ended up as some kind of manslaughter trial and average sentences were around 3-4 years. Not great, but I'd rather spend several years in prison than be dead.

It is just so sad that many abused partners keep hoping till the end, never wanting to believe that someone they once loved really will take their life.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    In front of her children.
    Damn.
    "His suits are cheaply made because he makes them in other countries, taking jobs away from good, hard-working Americans."...Bevy Smith on Donald Trump

I hate it when someone in a couple uses abuse to maintain some sort of upper hand. Abuse in any form.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    The system fails victims of domestic violence again and again and again. It's sickening. To be fair, people in social services, emergency workers, dispatchers and cops all get so frustrated with the situation that on a purely personal level, I don't blame that sheriff for his statement.
    I do. He should keep his "personal" opinions to himself, especially when they're so insensitive to victims of DV, and because they're wrong anyway. A gun probably wouldn't have helped this victim at all.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Thread Information