Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Two men escape maximum security prison in upstate New York

Default Two men escape maximum security prison in upstate New York

Investigators seek accomplices, answers in prison escape - AOL.com

DANNEMORA, N.Y. (AP) As investigators seek accomplices who may have helped two convicted murderers escape a maximum-security prison, many other questions remain about the brash, elaborate breakout.

How could nobody hear prisoners slicing through a steel wall, breaking through brick and cutting their way in and out of a steam pipe or why did those who heard stay silent? How did the inmates hide the hole, the dirt and dust from work that likely took days to accomplish? Did they have access to blueprints or other inside information to chart their path through the bowels of the prison?

And as a manhunt for the prisoners stretches into a fourth day, there is a deepening unknown: "what the rest of the plan was," says Rick Mathews, the director of the University at Albany's National Center for Security and Preparedness.

"Where were they going to go, and how were they going to do it?"

As investigators questioned prison workers and outside contractors Monday to try to find out who may have supplied power tools used in the "Shawshank Redemption"-style escape, law officers questioned drivers and searched trunks at checkpoints near the Clinton Correctional Facility in far northern New York. But authorities said David Sweat and Richard Matt could be anywhere perhaps Canada or Mexico.

With authorities warning that the men were desperate and dangerous, some residents were nervous over the escape from the 3,000-inmate prison in the middle of the small town of Dannemora, close to the Canadian border. But others figured the killers were long gone.

"We always joke about it. We're so close to the prison that's the last place that anyone who escaped would want to be," Jessica Lashway said as she waited for the bus with her school-age children a few doors down from the hulking, fortress-like prison.

Sweat, 34, and Matt, 48, ultimately emerged through a manhole to make their escape, discovered early Saturday, authorities said. They had stuffed their beds with clothes to fool guards making their rounds and left behind a taunting sticky note that read: "Have a nice day."

The prisoners surely had help, and the noise must have been heard, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said, though officials have given no details on how the men managed to avoid detection.

Cuomo said other inmates claimed they didn't see or hear anything. "They're all heavy sleepers," he said sardonically. State Assemblyman Daniel O'Donnell, chairman of the Correction Committee, said any inmate who heard drilling wouldn't dare report it.

"That will get you killed that's the kind of environment it is," he said.

In looking for those who may have aided the escape, Cuomo said investigators were focusing first on civilian employees and contractors who have been doing extensive renovations at the 170-year-old prison not on guards.

"I'd be shocked if a correction guard was involved in this, but they definitely had help," the governor said.

Corrections officials said an inventory of the prison's tools has so far shown none missing. But contractors typically come in with truckloads of equipment, said Peter Light, a retired guard who now runs a museum inside the prison.

A $100,000 reward was posted over the weekend for information leading to the men's capture.

Across the state in Broome County, where Sweat was convicted in the 2002 killing of a sheriff's deputy, authorities warned people involved in the case to stay alert. Sweet was serving a sentence of life without parole.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police advised officers to be on the lookout close to the border, 20 miles from the prison.

And the governor noted that Matt had a connection to Mexico: He was convicted of killing a man there while on the lam after being accused of dismembering his Buffalo-area boss in 1997, the crime for which he was serving 25 years to life.

I have been nervously watching this since it happened. This was totally an inside job. There's no way that people on the outside were able to plant heavy equipment for them to cut themselves out of their cells and the rest of the internal prison. I've read repeatedly that Matt is the most dangerous escapee ever.
    llamamama likes this.

Interestingly, one of the guys is really well endowed and very popular with the women. Supposedly, this is how they were able to get inside help in the first place.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Interestingly, one of the guys is really well endowed and very popular with the women. Supposedly, this is how they were able to get inside help in the first place.

They need a new headline, "Giant Shlong Enables Prison Break"
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    So, reading between the lines, these women smuggled in the power tools in certain orifices?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    So, reading between the lines, these women smuggled in the power tools in certain orifices?

I read that they were on good behavior so they lived on a floor where they could come and go. They worked in the prison tailor shop with access to the power tools. Supposedly the female supervisor helped them. And they got to wear civilian clothes which is what they escaped in. OOPS.

This is actually pretty frightening, they've been gone for 5 days already and that Matt is one scary guy.

ETA: I am an incredibly paranoid person. Do you think I have a better chance of winning the lottery and/or getting struck by lightning or getting killed by these murderers while they are on the loose?
    Last edited by llamamama; June 10th, 2015 at 03:18 PM.

One of them dismembered his boss.
    "His suits are cheaply made because he makes them in other countries, taking jobs away from good, hard-working Americans."...Bevy Smith on Donald Trump

Pretty much the height of insubordination.

*giggling*
    "His suits are cheaply made because he makes them in other countries, taking jobs away from good, hard-working Americans."...Bevy Smith on Donald Trump

Wow, the detective who said giant-p**n/boss-dismembering guy cleans up well wasn't kidding:

llamamama likes this.

^ Right, much uglier convicts have had women fall madly love with them. He probably has a bunch. I bet the both of them are sitting on some woman's couch somewhere playing video games.

And these two were well-behaved and got to wear civilian clothes. Can you IMAGINE what the other convicts are like if boss-dismembering guy gets to live on the good floor?

Supposedly, they were seen at a train station in Philadelphia today.

Quote Originally Posted by ikmccall View Post
    Supposedly, they were seen at a train station in Philadelphia today.
    I can't believe they'd be smart enough to execute an escape like that and be dumb enough to just show up at an Amtrak station.

I don't know if you guys have been reading about this, but it was a woman who worked in the prison who enabled this. She was also supposed to be the getaway driver, but had some sort of mini mental breakdown and checked herself into the hospital instead.

Gawker was joking around about the Daily Mail interviewing an ex-coworker of this enabler woman She said she was trouble. Left her first husband for a second guy she had been working with. Then, left that guy for this convict.

^ It's always the ones you'd least expect...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information