Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: DNA Test On Pizza Crust Leads To Warrant For Suspect In Killing Of D.C. Family

Default DNA Test On Pizza Crust Leads To Warrant For Suspect In Killing Of D.C. Family

This is right out of the Forensic Files. Very sad story of the murder of well-to-do family in DC. One of the victims was a 10-year-old boy. Apparently, it was a home invasion where the family, including child and maid, were held hostage until the kidnappers could get the husband to have someone bring money to the house. Once that happened, the family was killed and the place was set on fire to destroy evidence. Except that the pizza that the killer ate, had DNA on it that matched a profile in a database.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mbvd/mystery...imi#.pj6dNlldg

Officials are investigating the homicides of three members of the Savopoulos family and their housekeeper, whose bodies were found in their $4.5-million Washington, D.C., home after it was set on fire. A warrant was issued Wednesday for the arrest of a 34-year-old man after DNA was discovered on pizza at the scene.

Police said Wednesday that they have issued an arrest warrant for a suspect in the deaths of a Washington, D.C., family and their housekeeper.

Savvas Savopoulos, 46; his wife, Amy Savopoulos, 47; 10-year-old son, Philip; and housekeeper Veralicia Figueroa, 57, were found dead in their $4.5-million home near D.C.’s Embassy Row — where diplomats live, as well as the U.S. vice president — when it was set ablaze on May 14, officials said.
    On Wednesday, a warrant was issued for the arrest of 34-year-old Daron Dylon Wint of Maryland, according to police. They do not know his location, and are asking the public for assistance in finding him.
    Wint was arrested in Maryland on suspicion of assault in 2006, then again in 2009 on suspicion of assault and a sexual offense. In both cases, the charges were ultimately dropped.
    The break in the mysterious case came after police said they discovered DNA on the crust of a Domino’s pizza that was delivered to the house late Wednesday as authorities say the family was being held hostage, hours before they were killed and the house went up in flames.

Via mpdc.dc.gov

Via mpdc.dc.gov

Via mpdc.dc.gov

Police released images of Daron Dylon Wint.

The family had lived in the neighborhood for more than 10 years and were actively involved in the community, The Washington Post reported.
    The couple also had two daughters, who were away at boarding school in other states at the time of the fire.

Philip Savopoulos Facebook: profile.php

As the family was held hostage inside their home Thursday night, a package containing $40,000 was dropped off, law enforcement sources told the Washington Post and WRC-TV on Wednesday.
    The man who dropped off the money at the house was an assistant of Savvas Savopoulos, unnamed officials told the Post. It is not clear if the employee knew what was inside the package.
    It was likely the family was held overnight and possibly bound. Officials are trying to determine when they first encountered the killer or killers.

The family and housekeeper were found inside the home after crews arrived to put out the fire around 1:30 p.m. Thursday.

youtube.com

Several of the victims were found to have suffered from blunt trauma and stab wounds, prompting investigators to rule the deaths a quadruple homicide, Police Chief Cathy Lanier said Friday.
    The family’s blue 2008 Porsche — found Thursday night in a church parking lot in Hyattsville, Maryland — had also been set on fire, Lanier said.

youtube.com

The car was found in the same area as American Iron Works headquarters, where Savopoulos served as chief executive, and about 10 miles from the family’s home in the 3200 block of Woodland Drive in D.C.
    Police also released a video on Sunday of a person who was possibly using the family’s car and was later seen running while holding a white bag.

youtube.com

Officials released the video in an effort to generate help from the public. They are offering up to $25,000 for any information that leads to an arrest and conviction in the case.
    Adding to the mystery, authorities said there were no signs of forced entry into the home.
    NBC News Washington reported that the house had an elaborate security system and cameras, and that it was likely the suspects knew the family and their day-to-day schedules.
    The Associated Press, citing investigators, said Wint likely worked for one of Savopoulos’s businesses.
    The station also reported that the suspects may have invaded the home Wednesday and held the family overnight until their demands were met. The family was known to have an extensive and valuable art collection.

A Domino’s pizza was delivered to the house late Wednesday night, possibly while the family was being held hostage, CNN reported.
    FOX News reported that the pizza delivery man said that around midnight on Wednesday night he left two boxes of pizza at the front door of the house, where there was money left for them in an envelope.

How sad, but awesome that the detectives were able to get the dna from the pizza. Hope the dumbass is found soon. That picture of the boy broke my heart.
    ChloroformCasey likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    How sad, but awesome that the detectives were able to get the dna from the pizza. Hope the dumbass is found soon. That picture of the boy broke my heart.
    It really hits home because he is the exact same age as my son. Apparently, the kidnappers tortured the son to get the parents to give up money.

Omg Mo stop!! I thought he was about your sons age too.

I've been following this story pretty closely. I've always loved the area where this family lived. I had relatives that used to live there when I was a kid. It's such a quiet, safe area in a not so quiet city. Such a sad tragedy. They knew that the family would do whatever they had to do to try and keep their son safe. They did this for $40K. Took the lives of four people and destroyed the life of so many others. Amazing that taking the lives of a family and another woman was so casual and matter-of-fact to this lowlife. He was able to eat a pizza, knowing he was about to murder these poor people. I hate thinking go the terror they must have felt in their last hours on earth.

People are comparing it to the Petit family murders in Connecticut. Wealthy family targeted. Hostages held for hours while they got money from the family. Then murdered them and set the place on fire. In both cases, people missed clues that something wasn't right.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    People are comparing it to the Petit family murders in Connecticut. Wealthy family targeted. Hostages held for hours while they got money from the family. Then murdered them and set the place on fire. In both cases, people missed clues that something wasn't right.
    I'm not sure I understand this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Oh, wow. You're right, it's very similar. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this statement.
    In the Petit case, the mom was taken as basically a hostage to a bank to withdraw money, while the husband and daughters were held at gunpoint back at the house. Somehow, the wife tipped off the bank teller. The police went back to the house but waited before they went inside. During the 30 minutes that the police were setting up a perimeter, the killers raped and killed the mom and set the house on fire while the daughters were still alive.

In this case, an employee dropped off a package with $40K in cash in front of the house. And the maid's husband showed up at the house because he had been told by her that she was going to stay the night at the house because the son was sick - even though she never stayed the night before. He showed up at the house the morning before everyone was killed and the house was set on fire. He sensed that someone was inside, not responding to his knocks, but he apparently left without alerting police.

czb

so what am i missing - they set the house on fire and the pizza survived? *confused*

The fire was put out fairly quickly. The house is still standing and looks like there was more damage to the upper level of the house.

eta - looks like the suspect in the case worked for the father at his business.

czb

ah - thanks for the info.

and this family had two daughters away at boarding school? ugh. so now they are orphans. poor things.

Thanks Mo for the clarification.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Thank God for forensic science so when this mother fucker piece of shit gets caught, they can just torture him and then set him on fire.
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ah - thanks for the info.

and this family had two daughters away at boarding school? ugh. so now they are orphans. poor things.
    Reminds me of the Lin family murders a couple of years back. The parents, their little boys and the mother's sister were all brutally murdered in their beds while the teenage daughter was away at camp. Then the poor girl had to stay with other relatives, even though the cops suspected the uncle, and she had to go along with it while they continued investigating.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information